Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

WGR has played nice with the Sabres and Bills and they are fed info, exclusives, interviews, etc. They figured it out.

TBN has remained in the perpetually critical zone and are constantly bypassed by PS&E... if not blatantly set up for embarrassment such as this.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

GMs, if given money to spend, will spend it. That's not short-sighted but logical. Plus the cap, of course, places limits on how much you can spend.

Implausible imho. Pegula is to big league to make that kind of mistake. I can think of many circumjstances where a non playoff year should result in another year for that duo.......(say a Jets like 10-6 with no playoffs :D , or even worse, an 11-5 non playoff situation) Not surprised they had to retract....I don't think it was ever true.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/source-bills-working-on-a-contract-extension-with-doug-whaley/

Well hummminy hummminy hummmminy maybe somebody just sprung a trap for a little birdy now. Tweet tweet tweet twitter. A little Buffalo Bills birdy.

And if Vic Carruci got his hand caught in the trap, Too Bad, So Sorry, So sad!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the fourth paragraph of the Carucci story says, "The News also is reporting that the Bills are working on a contract extension with Whaley."

The News can't have it both ways.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but the fourth paragraph of the Carucci story says, "The News also is reporting that the Bills are working on a contract extension with Whaley."

The News can't have it both ways.

That was after it was updated.

This is Doug's third year.

second head coach, Off and D coord.

remember what the meaning of continuity truly means Chan.

A Foreign term for Bills fans I suppose

Meaneth, same people on same page for an "extended" period of time.

lets just give it a shot.

Edited by 3rdand12

As much as I dislike Rex for a variety of reasons, I do have to agree that another year is probably the rational choice. That gives me hope for the owners, if not confidence in the coach.

(I just threw up a little.)

I dont like it... see Cleveland Browns. 1 yr is not a good evaluation period... especially when there was no first rd pick. And we dont have a team in a bag. We need progress. What if we get 10 wins... 11 wins and still dont get in. Does he deserve an ax? Hell no. This is false. Pegula isnt that guy. Did he have bylsema (however its spelled) in that meeting.

So our Vic suspicions appear valid.

It's a ludicrous ultimatum anyways.

The goal isn't to 'make the playoffs.' And, quite frankly, I cringe every time some one in the organization says it.

The goal is to win championships.

So, if Vic's report is to be believed, they grab a wildcard in 2016, lose in the first round, but everyone goes home happy? Doesn't matter what happens in 2017?

Normally I would agree with you, but when you haven't made the playoffs in 16 years, it's best to start with a more reasonable goal.

I dont like it... see Cleveland Browns. 1 yr is not a good evaluation period... especially when there was no first rd pick. And we dont have a team in a bag. We need progress. What if we get 10 wins... 11 wins and still dont get in. Does he deserve an ax? Hell no. This is false. Pegula isnt that guy. Did he have bylsema (however its spelled) in that meeting.

You are way behind bud.

I hate this.

Either he thinks Whaley and Rex are the right guys for the job and he should give them a couple of years to work things out, or he doesn't think they are the guys and he shouldn't waste any more time in replacing them. I'm sure Whaley and Rex already know the ice is thin, giving them a playoffs or bust ultimatum will only lead to short sited decision making.

We were a .500 team the last two years, other than Mario / Kyle most of the roster is trending up, if they go 10-6 next year and miss out due to tiebreakers, should everyone be canned? Besides, the goal of the franchise shouldn't be "make the playoffs" it should be "build a championship caliber team". I understand at this point the baby step of making the playoffs would be nice, but just showing up to the dance and getting our butts kicked because we "accomplished the goal" is pretty hollow.

Oops. I Didnt mean to steal your thunder.

Right on sir

Well, first of all, the Bills have tolerated mediocrity and given it 3 years for too long. "Consistency - it's only a virtue if you're not a screwup". The Bills FO *should* feel as though they're playing for their jobs.

That said, it's just stupid for an organization to back itself into a corner like this. What if Doug hits on a great draft, brings in just what Rex needs on D, Rex turns around the team discipline and fight and the Bills look to be prepared in a superior way and making in-game adjustments, are in every game scrapping to the end, but they just don't get it done in the final game because two teams from other divisions have super records as the #2? Would it really serve the Bills interest to axe Whaley and Rex in that case?

How many "leaks" has Carruci broken and how often has he been right or wrong this year?

Apologies to you too

Again I worked in the business for a few years - this usually means you have decided to go with a story based on some hearsay and supposition thinking "it sounds a reasonable enough line in the circumstances" and then the same day something blows up that discredits your supposition and assumptions. I don't know if that has happened here but I know the industry. Vic pieced what he knew together came up with an assumption and then said it was based on information from an unknown source. The Bills should ask for a formal public apology.

Vic ain't Bill Beelzebub

lol GB

Sounds like a Tyrion Lannister move - one where conflicting stories were told to potential leakers, to identify which one has been internally leaking stuff. If so, cold and awesome move!

would be fantastic work from OBD central OPS !

confirm. locate. lock. neutralize.

next?

Does the BN have Ty Dunne and Vic Carucci working in silos? Isolation chambers?

Dunne is watching from the overhang, Vic writhing in Dantes inferno.

Tyler has been a saviour to Bills Fans.

He has cumulatively written enough compassionate yet honest articles i think he carries the banner for we Fans. Keeps us interested and emotionally attached to the team.

pretty impressive actually : )

Does the BN have Ty Dunne and Vic Carucci working in silos? Isolation chambers?

hope so. whatever vic has caught from Jerry might be contagious

On one hand I feel sorry for Vic, on the other:

1) He has changed since he came back - not for the better;

2) He has gotten so many things wrong;

3) He should already have learned that his source is no good (to the extent that there is a source);

4) If he had any familiarity with the Pegulas, he SHOULD HAVE KNOWN ON HIS OWN WITHOUT A SOURCE that this is not the way they operate and his report was directly contrary to the public statement just a few days ago.

sounds like the report's BS.. but i too agree with the sentiment.. and i believe we only need some tweeking on the D roster to get this thing humming, so Doug and Rex have to get him the right players to take to camp... that's what made the story plausible.. Rex doesn't need Pettine.. he needs to stow his ego, and admit that even he can't fit square pegs into round holes

unfortunately it's Rex, he's more likely to just try to find a bigger hammer.....