Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

There is a source at OBD feeding info to Vic who clearly wants to make Whaley look bad. It has been happening all year.

I agree. This also does not sound like the Pegulas at all. They think long term and strategically. They are not rash.

This report is very different from the press release just a few days ago:

“As our first full season as owners of the Buffalo Bills draws to a close, management, coaches, players and fans all feel that our expectations were not met,” said Pegula.

“Kim, Russ and I look forward to working and collaborating with Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan in forming a winning future for the organization. Our management team and coaching staff are very capable and work well together. This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL.”

It is entirely possible that Vic is being played or something else is going on. I just don't buy this report.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be that. Or Vic's source, as another poster suggested, threw Whaleys name in there as well, because he doesn't like him.

In any case, it might be time for Vic to take comments from his source inside OBD with a giant grain of salt.

Based on his recent record, I believe a heavy dose of skepticism is in order for any of these articles based on his "inside sources".

I agree. This also does not sound like the Pegulas at all. They think long term and strategically. They are not rash.

This report is very different from the press release just a few days ago:

“As our first full season as owners of the Buffalo Bills draws to a close, management, coaches, players and fans all feel that our expectations were not met,” said Pegula.

“Kim, Russ and I look forward to working and collaborating with Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan in forming a winning future for the organization. Our management team and coaching staff are very capable and work well together. This stable foundation is necessary to achieve long term success in the NFL.”

It is entirely possible that Vic is being played or something else is going on. I just don't buy this report.

If the Pegula statement from last week is any indication, Vic's story doesn't make any sense.

Hello!

The message could also be 'If we take another step backwards, your next steps are out the door. But as long as there's improvement next year, you're good to go'.

The Pegulas strike me as the type who do want to maintain continuity as long as the results justify it. Since this was their first full season as owners, they have room to be fair with Whaley and Rex for another year or two. But the message should be clear.

Edited by BmarvB

They were handed a team that was a decent offence away from being a playoff team last year and the season instead turned into a train wreck because they were undisciplined and the coach thought it was better to fix what wasn't broke and wreck a perfectly good defence. I don't blame the owner (I actually respect him more now) by taking this stand and saying we aren't going to waste more years trying to rebuild again, you were handed something that only needed some tweaking and you screwed it up, your not going to be given a ton of time to fix it before we get someone else in to do it.

This may also have to do with the rumors that Whaley and Rex were on separate pages and don't agree with each other. It's a way for TP to get them to work together or they are shown the door. If I'm TP and Whaley talk yesterday about FA is true that they will mostly be dealing with getting their players re-signed, this could be more of a shot at Rex to work with the talent you have and adjust your scheme to what will work instead of giving him free reign to rip apart what was good and have a couple years to get it back to what it was. I would assume that if this is true, Rex may have blown some smoke up their backsides in his interview and told them he would make this defence work with what they have.

Expectations were not met this year, meet them next year or else. Obviously there are conditions, as there should be. Injuries will come into play just like they most likely did with Pagano and that is extremely reasonable; now a crappy scheme where you only rush 3 and give the WRs a 10-yard cushion and lose games because of that is fire-able. You reach for players that don't turn out in the draft or make bad trades or draft players that don't fit what we want to do scheme-wise, yeah you get the boot for that. Draft for the scheme, take BPA, your players develop and you will be alright.

Whaley is being tied to Rex, just as other teams do. Whaley getting an extension is no different that Grigson being tied to Chuck. Widely reported that Grigson & Pagano don't get along, but yet "all was well" at their presser. It is much easier for Pegs to tether them together and cut them both lose and start fresh with a new GM and new HC. GMs typically only get to hire 2 HCs before they are trashed in today's league. Pegs hasn't hired a GM yet and the structure of our org is a bit nonstandard. This gives him the ability to clean house and bring in a full new team. Hire the GM the GM hires the coach, Coach reports to GM....

It's not exactly unreasonable or wrong and the answer is in the middle. It isn't winner take all, this side or that side. This is fair.

I'm confused:

Source: Terry Pegula gives Whaley, Ryan 1 year to fix Bills

But he has Rex with 4 more years on a contract and supposedly is giving Whaley a multi year extension?

For starters - that doesn't sound like Pegula. He is patient and the Bills are showing progress. went from 9-7 to 8-8

• A lot of injuries in 2015. every teams got 'em, and some are in the playoffs
  • We didn't know who the QB was until September. TT played well, O scored points, OC named coordinator of the year for his efforts
  • A lot of new guys and new schemes for everyone. same defensive guys from top D failed in new system

Taking it all into consideration, maybe 8-8 wasn't so bad. if our D wasn't a cluster-f#%k, we'd be in the playoffs

Continuity breeds winning. We clearly haven't learned this (see the last 15 years!!). "meet the new boss - the same as the old boss" poor choices lead to wasted opportunities.. correct them however possible

Keeping/promoting Brandon, signing Doug to 3-4 more years and signing Rex to a 5 year deal (last year) shows Pegula's patience and belief that he needs to establish continuity in the organization. if he can get his own kid to drink that kool-aid, maybe i'll have a cup

"Make the necessary fixes..."

The Bills need a handful of players at a couple starting positions, not all can come from the draft. Does this mean Terry says spend what you need to fix it?

It's a bit odd for Whaley to say that they won't be spending in FA and want to sign their own. That's fair. Glenn/Incognito make sense but that's putting an awful lot of pressure to get 2-3 quality starters out of this draft.

i know it may have been an anomaly but we had darby, karlos and miller as contributors. two of three looked fantastic.

I like it...and frankly it needed to be done

WHAT I WONDER is if it makes Rex think twice about a huge D overhaul. Given that he is under the gun it might make more sense to bring back Pettine?

sounds like the report's BS.. but i too agree with the sentiment.. and i believe we only need some tweeking on the D roster to get this thing humming, so Doug and Rex have to get him the right players to take to camp... that's what made the story plausible.. Rex doesn't need Pettine.. he needs to stow his ego, and admit that even he can't fit square pegs into round holes

Is Whaley really getting a multi year deal if this is true. That seems odd. It's one or the other IMO not both because as far as I know the Bills have to honor Whaleys contract if they fire him with years left on a new deal. Someone tell me what I'm missing.

Edited by Billsmovinup

Is Whaley really getting a multi year deal if this is true. That seems odd. It's one or the other IMO not both because as far as I know the Bills have to honor Whaleys contract if they fire him with years left on a new deal. Someone tell me what I'm missing.

*Just my thoughts* If they are both true, it means Pegs is willing to eat both contracts at some point if he doesn't believe they have made the progress he is looking for. By extending Whaley 4 years to meet the same time duration as Rex's, he has them on the same time frame so they will feel they are working as a team and not separately.

Garbage report. There's no way a good manager or successful businessman would give that kind of ultimatum in those words. It is something a fan would imagine would happen, but isn't realistic in well-run organization. People who zero management experience, or have no understanding of leadership or motivational theory think this might be a great way to handle things (ie. some silly fans on a message board) but it just isn't reality, nor is it effective. It is proven, actually, that negative leadership always fails long term. Period.

One does NOT manage by threats and fear. Only idiots do. I don't think the Pegulas are idiots. Therefore, they wouldn't manage with threats and fear. Long-term successful organizations don't threaten their employees to get then to perform. The knowledge that you won't have a job if you aren't successful is inherent, and doesn't need to be displayed like a baboon's distended red anus.

And at the same time, Whaley gets an extension? While being threatened? It doesn't add up.

For most NFL teams, winning creates stability. In Buffalo, mediocrity does as well.

It's the end of year 1 of an entirely new organization from top to bottom.

Trying to use what happened under Ralph's ownership as some sort of divining instrument to predict what will happen under the Pegula's ownership is a fool's errand... unless it fits the narrative you're trying to use.