Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

The only problem I have with a statement like that is, in my mind, if I'm a GM and I need to get it right I'm not looking towards the future and building. So, that means not drafting a QB to groom because I may not be here. I would role with Taylor and if next year goes well and I get an extension, then I select a QB. I would probably draft less high risk players. I'm looking for guys who can start right away.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are just incredible leaks in the organization if this scenario is exactly correct. Only four (if Kim and Terry both present) people were a part of the conversation.

That aside, there really is no realistic alternative here. Rex backed himself into this corner with all of his hype last offseason. Whaley put himself in this spot by leaving little room to sign anyone this upcoming season. The reality for both of them is there needs to be addition by subtraction in players released and a very, very solid draft.

Everything can change from one season to the next but winning the division to get into the playoffs remains a long shot with Bellicheat and his sidekick quarterback still owning the Bills. Miami is probably a mess next year and while the Jets may not improve greatly there is no obvious reason to assume they will regress. The point is that there is no reason to believe the Bills easily make the playoffs next year.

2 words - Russ Brandon.

the 'fix' Pergula wants is for Doug and Rex to flesh out the defensive personnel with guys that can execute Rex's defense.. no more "i'll coach up who ever you get me" BS.. Rex and Thurman have to be specific about what they need, and Doug has to do a good job securing the talent.. i think keeping our O line intact is a given - that enables Roman to continue his good work with the talent we have. that ultimatum is all about our D.

The only problem I have with a statement like that is, in my mind, if I'm a GM and I need to get it right I'm not looking towards the future and building. So, that means not drafting a QB to groom because I may not be here. I would role with Taylor and if next year goes well and I get an extension, then I select a QB. I would probably draft less high risk players. I'm looking for guys who can start right away.

this is true, I agree. However, depending on how much confidence they have in themselves and in each other, they may feel they will be here long term and still have an eye on that. Don't forget the egos involved. Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't worry about Whaley. He's already been shortsighted with Sammy so I cant see him doing that again and I'm not concerned with anything else from him. What's he gonna do? Make a trade? Great cause he exceeds in that area.

All good I think. Other than ya where did this info come from and furthermore, how did the Buffalo News get it? That makes me question the validity of it.

There are just incredible leaks in the organization if this scenario is exactly correct. Only four (if Kim and Terry both present) people were a part of the conversation.

That aside, there really is no realistic alternative here. Rex backed himself into this corner with all of his hype last offseason. Whaley put himself in this spot by leaving little room to sign anyone this upcoming season. The reality for both of them is there needs to be addition by subtraction in players released and a very, very solid draft.

Everything can change from one season to the next but winning the division to get into the playoffs remains a long shot with Bellicheat and his sidekick quarterback still owning the Bills. Miami is probably a mess next year and while the Jets may not improve greatly there is no obvious reason to assume they will regress. The point is that there is no reason to believe the Bills easily make the playoffs next year.

BuffaloBill, I had the same thought.

I would expect Brandon was part of that meeting as well, wouldn't you? If not, he certainly was briefed on it, so we now include Brandon and anyone Brandon talks to.

Assuming it's true (and either Rex and Whaley are putting on a great show, or Deep Throat has been wrong before) I do not see how it serves the organization to leak this. Lame Ducks never carry the same authority or clout that leaders who are here for the long haul possess.

I endorse the ultimatum but I don't endorse leaking it.

Edited by Hopeful

If this is true, love it! It's already kool-aid time! This gives me "confidence" (presser mantra) in the new owners. I don't think it's an unfair position or unreasonable. If someone sells you on something (Rex / Whaley), they better deliver. 2nd day of the offseason and things are looking up already!! :thumbsup:

Interesting thoughts Wayne (as usual)!! I wonder if this would mean things like trading up again (maybe Treadwell)? I would think that this means trades for more "young vet" type guys as well. You will not see many developmental type prospects on the Bills next year. You will be looking at the 53 guys that they think can best help them in 2016. There will be no Mike Jasper type projects.

Since ultimatums without a realistic plan rarely work, I would rather hear the owner gave the GM and HC some direction to put together a plan that detailed exactly how they are going to make that happen. A plan TP would review with Whaley and Ryan by the end of the month that identified what went right, what went wrong, what can we fix, what can't we fix, what are our constraints, etc., and what are the steps the organization is going to take, and when, to get things right. I don't know anything about Pegula's business philosophy but if my suspicions are correct and he's approaching this as a business problem then I'll wager this is what he will want to see.

i added some optimism to that viewpoint which is really more speculation that they are confident they can get it done - I don't know if they are or not.

Yea that's definitely true. And you are definitely right I'm sure ego plays a part. Maybe Whaley isn't worried about getting a job after the Bills, so he will stick to drafting how he has always drafted. I do think it does take away the possibility of drafting a QB in rounds 1-5. There are just too many roster positions that need to be filled by better players and Whaley has already made it clear they aren't going to go crazy in FA.

Since ultimatums without a realistic plan rarely work, I would rather hear the owner gave the GM and HC some direction to put together a plan that detailed exactly how they are going to make that happen. A plan TP would review with Whaley and Ryan by the end of the month that identified what went right, what went wrong, what can we fix, what can't we fix, what are our constraints, etc., and what are the steps the organization is going to take, and when, to get things right. I don't know anything about Pegula's business philosophy but if my suspicions are correct and he's approaching this as a business problem then I'll wager this is what he will want to see.

agree 100% with your assessment of the news.. but i would be concerned if Pegula doesn't get an outside opinion on their plan. hopefully, he's smart enough to know that neither he or his wife can properly vet what Doug and Rex propose - and finds himself a defensive-minded ear (like a Parcells) to bounce it off.

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

Agreed. The last time this happened, (the Sabres' GM) Darcy Regier paid Ville Leino the kitchen sink in last-ditch pathetic attempt to win with the Sabres' putrid "core". Eventually had to blow it up and tank.

Edited by Cereal

Yea that's definitely true. And you are definitely right I'm sure ego plays a part. Maybe Whaley isn't worried about getting a job after the Bills, so he will stick to drafting how he has always drafted. I do think it does take away the possibility of drafting a QB in rounds 1-5. There are just too many roster positions that need to be filled by better players and Whaley has already made it clear they aren't going to go crazy in FA.

absolutely - this draft is critical and I think we will get a window into their mindset once we see who they take and when.