Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2016/01/05/pegula-gives-whaley-ryan-a-year-to-fix-bills/

Buffalo Bills owner Terry Pegula has given General Manager Doug Whaley and coach Rex Ryan a year to turn the team around after its disappointing 8-8 season, The Buffalo News has learned.

A team source told The News that Pegula met with Whaley and Ryan about a week ago to review the 2015 season and look ahead.

During the session, the source said, Pegula gave Whaley and Ryan an ultimatum: make the necessary fixes to get the team into the playoffs in the 2016 season or be fired

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are just incredible leaks in the organization if this scenario is exactly correct. Only four (if Kim and Terry both present) people were a part of the conversation.

That aside, there really is no realistic alternative here. Rex backed himself into this corner with all of his hype last offseason. Whaley put himself in this spot by leaving little room to sign anyone this upcoming season. The reality for both of them is there needs to be addition by subtraction in players released and a very, very solid draft.

Everything can change from one season to the next but winning the division to get into the playoffs remains a long shot with Bellicheat and his sidekick quarterback still owning the Bills. Miami is probably a mess next year and while the Jets may not improve greatly there is no obvious reason to assume they will regress. The point is that there is no reason to believe the Bills easily make the playoffs next year.

"Make the necessary fixes..."

The Bills need a handful of players at a couple starting positions, not all can come from the draft. Does this mean Terry says spend what you need to fix it?

It's a bit odd for Whaley to say that they won't be spending in FA and want to sign their own. That's fair. Glenn/Incognito make sense but that's putting an awful lot of pressure to get 2-3 quality starters out of this draft.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I wonder if this makes them more aggressive in FA this year

Whaley seemed laid back to me yesterday about his free agent plans and told the media they may as well take the week off

Wonder if this news changes his approach

CBF

No. Apparently, this meeting happened before the PC.

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

How could he not be short sighted with this sort of ultimatum?

I wonder if this makes them more aggressive in FA this year

Whaley seemed laid back to me yesterday about his free agent plans and told the media they may as well take the week off

Wonder if this news changes his approach

CBF

imo it doesn't change that. They would still want to sign their own guys which is going to be a challenge in itself. and while they could add some relatively "cheap" pieces in FA like a NT, I don't think they will go hog wild like last year and going after guys with transition tags, etc. I think that's what he meant.

I don't like this.

I hope Whaley especially doesn't take a short-sighted view and over-spends to try to save his job.

I always felt that the EJ was pick was borne out of Buddy basically having 1 more year left.

Same old story, right? The pressure is on to do something big and they come up short. Whether it's a big FA signing or drafting a QB...maybe they'll finally get it right.