Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

Help me out, Corner Blitz, cuz there's been so much I've lost track. What has Carruci broken this year and what is his track record?

Cassel as the starting QB, tension among Whaley and Rex/coaching staff, Polian as the Football Czar or Consultant.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pegula to rex & whaley:

not sure where all this noise is coming from about you two not getting along.....

let me assure you.....if I need to fire one of you....I am going to fire BOTH of you. ......you have 1 year to get it right....get to work.

I'm starting to think this guy has more power than we think. Yes, he signed TO while he was the defacto GM, but bringing in Rex was a classic "let's sell tickets" move. That part worked, but it didn't get the team any closer to the playoffs.

I really hope the Pegulas have Russ on the hot seat, too.

This. Plus it's impossible to watch Brandon's face and demeanor during the Watkins trade up (and no sports fans, he wasn't working the phones) and not think his fingers were deep in that trade-up pie.

His seat deserves to be hot, but given they just gave him the Sabres as well methinks the Pegulas are still "All In" on Brandon.

His track record this year is frankly pretty bad.

Good to know, but what are the specifics? I have lost track completely.

@JeremyWGR

Doug Whaley is likely to be extended soon. Be hard to believe they extend him and then toss him an ultimatum.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Jeremy White

I have been consistently told Whaley is "here for the long haul" and agree with this completely.

Sal has always been very firm in his position on where Whaley stands in the Bills orgnization. And he's been correct.

This. Plus it's impossible to watch Brandon's face and demeanor during the Watkins trade up (and no sports fans, he wasn't working the phones) and not think his fingers were deep in that trade-up pie.

His seat deserves to be hot, but given they just gave him the Sabres as well methinks the Pegulas are still "All In" on Brandon.

Good to know, but what are the specifics? I have lost track completely.

I wouldn't put too much into facial expressions

Russ gave Whaley the green light to "be bold", so he was excited to see the move.

Make no mistake, the entire football dept was gunning for Sammy for a long time. Whaley, scouts, etc.

Sets up a great year on this board.

If they turn it around and take the next step, everyone will be happy.

If they fail again, it's hardcore whipping time!

...and still everyone will be happy. Those rooting for failure get a big win, and the rest of us get entertaining posts from the ensuing whipping. :lol:

Maybe it's an attempt to find out who the inside source is...feeding false stories to a very few.

That probably has as much validity as the story being specifically true.

The Pegulas did clean house with the Sabres after two seasons although the circumstances were a little different. I very much doubt they gave a specific ultimatum like Vic reported.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Some very solid posts in this thread - Back in Da Day in particular is killing it.

I'll add that, if true, Terry simply did them the courtesy of making explicit what already has to be the case and the assumption. There is no excuse for another failure next year. They did (as others have said) back themselves into a corner with assurances to the owner and big spending. Terry was assured that Rex could get the job done with the players on the roster. Now Rex has had to go back to tell the Boss Man that he can't deliver on that promise, and needs different players (or systems, or both). That ain't good. Terry is a businessman and won't tolerate another drawing board next offseason.

And Whaley needs to prove he's more than a scout. I don't doubt he is in the team's long-term plans as head scout. Whether he keeps the GM title is a different matter. Whaley has not yet demonstrated that he understands how to build a team - which includes working in tandem with a coaching staff to find the right players who fit into the coaches' philosophies. He can't strike out on this again, or he'll be relegated to college scouting and nothing else. IMO.

'Show me the baby'

I am fully on board with this 'ultimatum. Whaley had been in his job for 2-3 years so it's not like he is getting one season to fix the team. Also, RR was not a rookie HC. It is reasonable to demand playoffs next season when the roster was ready in 2015

Edited by Fan in Chicago

@JeremyWGR

Doug Whaley is likely to be extended soon. Be hard to believe they extend him and then toss him an ultimatum.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Jeremy White

I have been consistently told Whaley is "here for the long haul" and agree with this completely.

So our Vic suspicions appear valid.

It's a ludicrous ultimatum anyways.

The goal isn't to 'make the playoffs.' And, quite frankly, I cringe every time some one in the organization says it.

The goal is to win championships.

So, if Vic's report is to be believed, they grab a wildcard in 2016, lose in the first round, but everyone goes home happy? Doesn't matter what happens in 2017?

You know, it's not like they were a mile off. If they just regress to the mean in penalties and injuries, they probably win a couple more games and make the playoffs.

With that attitude we will miss the playoffs. Don't leave this up to hope and chance. Rex needs to get better. And, we shouldn't be shooting for 9-7 that leaves not much room for error.