Pegula gives Whaley,Ryan 1 year to fix Bills? (BN retracts!)

YoloinOhio

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*Just my thoughts* If they are both true, it means Pegs is willing to eat both contracts at some point if he doesn't believe they have made the progress he is looking for. By extending Whaley 4 years to meet the same time duration as Rex's, he has them on the same time frame so they will feel they are working as a team and not separately.

Tpegs is not just gonna give away roughly 8 mil just for fun. Maybe a one year extension so whaley doesn't walk if he actually does turn it around and then we would have a year for him to extend.

Tpegs is not just gonna give away roughly 8 mil just for fun. Maybe a one year extension so whaley doesn't walk if he actually does turn it around and then we would have a year for him to extend.

IMO it wouldn't be "for fun." He wants this to work. He believes that tying them together will help that. He doesn't want Whaley on a lame duck contract, and my guess is that Whaley would have no interest in a one year extension. It takes two sides to come to an agreement.

He doesn't *want* to eat the money if it doesn't work out, but feels it is a risk worth taking to achieve what he wants.

Edited by YoloinOhio

IMO it wouldn't be "for fun." He wants this to work. He believes that tying them together will help that. He doesn't want Whaley on a lame duck contract, and my guess is that Whaley would have no interest in a one year extension. It takes to sides to come to an agreement.

He doesn't *want* to eat the money if it doesn't work out, but feels it is a risk worth taking to achieve what he wants.

That's the best way to describe it I think. No one wants to eat that kind of money, but Pegs knows he can if it comes to it. That's why it's a low risk extension.

It's the end of year 1 of an entirely new organization from top to bottom.

At what point should an owner demand accountability? And what would those metrics be for measuring performance?

After 16 years, the owner does not want to be in the podium next year and having to make excuses for yet another non-playoff year. In the NFL, one of the enduring measures of success is qualifying for the playoffs. Goals of a championship can come later, but for now we should be happy that the owner is putting his foot down.

Problem is that we are so used to mediocrity, that many are always ready to make pre emptive excuses. I am beyond that point

The fact that anyone thinks that anyone is or should be on a hot seat one year into a new regime reflects far more on the traumatized fanbase than it does on the organization. "Mediocre" is just a pessimistic shade of "competitive" as far as an 8-8 record is concerned. Competitive teams with stable management eventually improve to become good teams, usually at the expense of fickle teams with knee-jerk ownership. Firing the staff is a last resort indicating no confidence in the staff to improve the team, and we are a long way away from that point.

so we are back to "one year in", huh?

Hiring Marrone who quit 2 years later, that period should be stricken from the record? I was told that the "new regime" started when Brandon took the reigns (officially) from Wilson... and we need to give them a chance. Pegula came in and stayed the course. Only the Head Coach voluntarily walked away (which can be a interpreted as a negative window into the front office).

Im not down with tearing this thing down and Im glad that Whaley/Rex are retained... but if this team regresses back into the 4-6 or 7 win range next year/takes a step back... its going to be tough to support this continuity and not hope/wish for a manager from the outside to fix this organization once and for all.

Edited by May Day 10

The fact that anyone thinks that anyone is or should be on a hot seat one year into a new regime reflects far more on the traumatized fanbase than it does on the organization. "Mediocre" is just a pessimistic shade of "competitive" as far as an 8-8 record is concerned. Competitive teams with stable management eventually improve to become good teams, usually at the expense of fickle teams with knee-jerk ownership. Firing the staff is a last resort indicating no confidence in the staff to improve the team, and we are a long way away from that point.

Yes. While fans see 16 years of "failure," the Pegulas see one year of 8-8 with their new regime. Which they may also deem "failure" ... but a different type than, say, a non-competitive 4-12.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@WGR550

Source: Bills will sign Whaley to contract extension http://bit.ly/1O3F5VA

There were reports that owners Terry and Kim Pegula had laid down and ultimatum for Whaley and coach Rex Ryan that if they did not make the postseason, they would be fired. However, a source tells WGR that is "absolutely not" the case.

I think this is more of a purposeful FU to the Buffalo News and Vic. Give the flagship station the scoop on Whaley and give the paper that has started just about every tabloid style rumor this year a wrong angle...this might be a purposeful shot across the bow to show the Buffalo News Bills writers that if they want inside access they need to start providing what the team sees as more balanced coverage. The relationship with the news has ebbed and flowed over the years...this may be an ebb. If I were Terry and Kim -- the Bucky Gleason editorial last week questioning their ownership abilities would have been the final blow....

Edited by JoeF

Garbage report. There's no way a good manager or successful businessman would give that kind of ultimatum in those words. It is something a fan would imagine would happen, but isn't realistic in well-run organization. People who zero management experience, or have no understanding of leadership or motivational theory think this might be a great way to handle things (ie. some silly fans on a message board) but it just isn't reality, nor is it effective. It is proven, actually, that negative leadership always fails long term. Period.

One does NOT manage by threats and fear. Only idiots do. I don't think the Pegulas are idiots. Therefore, they wouldn't manage with threats and fear. Long-term successful organizations don't threaten their employees to get then to perform. The knowledge that you won't have a job if you aren't successful is inherent, and doesn't need to be displayed like a baboon's distended red anus.

And at the same time, Whaley gets an extension? While being threatened? It doesn't add up.

I never believed the ultimatum story in the first place for the same reasons. And now Whaley's being extended? As todd says, it doesn't add up.

Vic, like a lot of guys in the media, relies on unreliable sources in order to have something to write about. NFL reporting is going the way of the National Enquirer.

The fact that anyone thinks that anyone is or should be on a hot seat one year into a new regime reflects far more on the traumatized fanbase than it does on the organization. "Mediocre" is just a pessimistic shade of "competitive" as far as an 8-8 record is concerned.

Case in point: Washington Redskins, who, though they went 9-7, would have won the division with an 8-8 record.