I can't stand this mentality

Virgil

This isn't about today's game specifically. And I understand if you hate a certain team and not rooting against your team.

However, I keep seeing posts around the web saying "if we don't make the playoffs, you don't make the playoffs". Basically, if we suck and are miserable, then you should be too.

As a fan who's been miserable for years, shouldn't we be happy for other teams who've missed the playoffs for years and are finally gonna make it again?

If the Jets get in, I'll be happy for them. I'm happy for the Vikings and Texans as well for being able to possibly win their division.

The Pats can go !@#$ themselves.

This isn't about today's game specifically. And I understand if you hate a certain team and not rooting against your team.

However, I keep seeing posts around the web saying "if we don't make the playoffs, you don't make the playoffs". Basically, if we suck and are miserable, then you should be too.

As a fan who's been miserable for years, shouldn't we be happy for other teams who've missed the playoffs for years and are finally gonna make it again?

If the Jets get in, I'll be happy for them. I'm happy for the Vikings and Texans as well for being able to possibly win their division.

Freddie's Ghost is Jerry Sullivan!

I can't believe I just heard this but watching "Sports Talk Sunday" on Channel 2 Jerry Sullivan just said, "I root for the best story and want to see Fitz and Chan win and get in the playoffs!" What an a-hole! I know this game really doesn't matter but to be a member of the buffalo sports "media" and openly want a division rival to beat your home team is incredible to me.

Edited by dubs

I can't believe I just heard this but watching "Sports Talk Sunday" on Channel 2 Jerry Sullivan just said, "I root for the best story and want to see Fitz and Chan win and get in the playoffs!" What an a-hole! I know this game really doesn't matter but to be a member of the buffalo sports "media" and openly want a division rival to beat your home team is incredible to me.

I can't believe you can't believe he said that.

Read the article Dubs. It's on this board. He said as a sports writer for the news he has to remain unbiased in his reporting for journalistic integrity. That's not uncommon comments from any news beat reporter. I'm not by any means a Jerry Sullivan defender, but reading his story, I did agree with several of his comments. I like Gailey and Fitz. We did have weak talent at the time in Buffalo, and the Jets are a more talented team.

I will root for my Bills, and hope we have a commanding win, but if the Jets do win, I'll root for them in the playoffs. If you look at the playoff teams, the only other one to maybe beat the Patriots is the Broncos. I think it is more likely the Jets could beat them in Foxboro.

Go Bills!

Sully is drooling about the piece where chan and fits get in with the jets while Rex doesn't with the bills. Frankly it will probably be some of his better work...

Sports rivalry is a fickle thing and it's bound to be a forever changing landscape. We all pick and choose when an allegience matters depending on the circumstances of the moment.

The Bills can gain nothing out of the game and the opposition makes the playoffs if they win. They are led by a coach I have a lot of respect for and a QB/OC combination that gave their all for this team when they were here. I'm not going to actively root for the Jets and against the Bills but I have no burning desire to see the Jets fail given the circumstances. If this was a 'win and you're in' game for both teams, I wouldn't give a second thought to crushing them all like bugs.

I don't think there's a right or wrong way to look at this. We are all shaped by our own values.

You might feel differently if you lived in NYC, surrounded by obnoxious Jets fans (in fairness, they were friendly when i went to the game this year)

I want the Bills to give it there best shot. If they lose we get a better draft pick and motivation for next season.

Fitz , Chan , even Bowles are a class act who I respect. May the best team today win.

I cheered for the Patriots in their first Super Bowl as they were a fun underdog story. Never again!

that's ok.. i rooted for the Taliban in Rambo III .. damned Stallone!

edit.. on second thought, rooting for the Patriots is worse.. damned Belichick!

Edited by BackInDaDay

Holy hell. The very first thing I said was, this is not about this game nor rooting against the Bills.

I am rooting for the Bills to win.

IF THEY LOSE, I will be happy for Fitz and other teams with playoff droughts coming to an end.

Holy hell. The very first thing I said was, this is not about this game nor rooting against the Bills.

I am rooting for the Bills to win.

IF THEY LOSE, I will be happy for Fitz and other teams with playoff droughts coming to an end.

yes - you "can't stand" the mentality that others might not be. Why does it matter to you whether anyone else is happy for the Jets? Edited by YoloinOhio

Read the article Dubs. It's on this board. He said as a sports writer for the news he has to remain unbiased in his reporting for journalistic integrity. That's not uncommon comments from any news beat reporter. I'm not by any means a Jerry Sullivan defender, but reading his story, I did agree with several of his comments. I like Gailey and Fitz. We did have weak talent at the time in Buffalo, and the Jets are a more talented team.

I will root for my Bills, and hope we have a commanding win, but if the Jets do win, I'll root for them in the playoffs. If you look at the playoff teams, the only other one to maybe beat the Patriots is the Broncos. I think it is more likely the Jets could beat them in Foxboro.

Go Bills!

OK Machine Gun nothing against your post, I"m sure it's a good post. You lost me at Sullivan saying "he has to remain unbiased in his reporting for journalistic integrity"

First of all, as many here will remind us when we forget, Sullivan isn't a reporter, he's a columnist. He isn't, and has never written as though he is, attempting to avoid bias. He writes opinions. Opinions which some of us see as reeking of bias and negativity, but nonetheless, opinions which are as the saying goes, "like a**holes, everyone has one and few of us want to examine anyone else's in detail." I usually disagree with his opinions, but I damn straight agree with his right to express them and if he can get paid for that, more power to him.

Now he wants us to see him as an unbiased reporter filled with journalistic integrity? Viewed in that light, his articles have for years been a veritable cesspit stew lacking in objective perspective and reeking of standards of journalistic proof and sourcing so low that a trench must be dug to slide a snake under them.

Note the above is my viewpoint of Sully if and only if what he writes shoud be viewed as unbiased objective journalism written to with journalistic integrity. If he's expressing opinion, he's not obligated to follow standards of journalistic integrity or freedom from bias (because it's his opinion), more power to him to get paid for expressing his opinion and he's got a right to write what he thinks. (and the rest of us have a right to respect or disrespect him accordingly)

Edited by Hopeful

yes - you "can't stand" the mentality that others might not be. Why does it matter to you whether anyone else is happy for the Jets?

You're missing the point. If you hate the jets, I get that.

But the mentality that, if my team can't win then I don't want any other team to do well either, makes no sense

You're missing the point. If you hate the jets, I get that.

But the mentality that, if my team can't win then I don't want any other team to do well either, makes no sense

the better term might be you can't "understand" it.

I previously said I can't understand any bills fan actually rooting for the bills to lose. But that I'm just a different type of fan, I guess. I don't care that they do.

I don't know a lot of bills fans who don't hate the jets so I guess that's where the disconnect might be here. And unlike most, I have no positive connection to either Fitz or chan to "root" for them.

Jmo.

Edited by YoloinOhio

OK Machine Gun nothing against your post, I"m sure it's a good post. You lost me at Sullivan saying "he has to remain unbiased in his reporting for journalistic integrity"

First of all, as many here will remind us when we forget, Sullivan isn't a reporter, he's a columnist. He isn't, and has never written as though he is, attempting to avoid bias. He writes opinions. Opinions which some of us see as reeking of bias and negativity, but nonetheless, opinions which are as the saying goes, "like a**holes, everyone has one and few of us want to examine anyone else's in detail." I usually disagree with his opinions, but I damn straight agree with his right to express them and if he can get paid for that, more power to him.

Now he wants us to see him as an unbiased reporter filled with journalistic integrity? Viewed in that light, his articles have for years been a veritable cesspit stew lacking in objective perspective and reeking of standards of journalistic proof and sourcing so low that a trench must be dug to slide a snake under them.

Note the above is my viewpoint of Sully if and only if what he writes shoud be viewed as unbiased objective journalism written to with journalistic integrity. If he's expressing opinion, he's not obligated to follow standards of journalistic integrity or freedom from bias (because it's his opinion), more power to him to get paid for expressing his opinion and he's got a right to write what he thinks. (and the rest of us have a right to respect or disrespect him accordingly)

eloquent post !

Everyone has a different mentality. Who cares if it is different than yours? You do you. Why does it matter to you to try to convince someone else to feel the way you do? It's just sports.

Some people just take all this way too seriously. But being raised Catholic I'm used to idea of enduring suffering as a sign of faith. The Bills are our hairshirt and one day we will get to take it off.