Polian Willing to Help Bills, But Doesn't Want Czar Role

26CornerBlitz

Unless he likes Brandon just like every other decision maker seems to - then we could keep up the fun of "i saw Brandon speak to football people! What was he pushing on them?!?"

I have faith that Bill Polian can tell a glad-handing sack of sh#$ when he sees one.

Merry Christmas Russ! :D

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

agreeing with you.

there are probably less than 16 quality qb's in the league without thinking of it, that is.

lets try this:

rivers

dalton

brady

roethlisberger

cutler

romo

brees

rodgers

wilson

newton

ryan

manning

luck

flacco

palmer

stafford

that's just 16 that I would consider true starting calibre, and I barely include newton in that category. skin of his teeth i tell ya.

Remove Cutler and Manning, imo they arent starting caliber.

Remove Cutler and Manning, imo they arent starting caliber.

Eli Manning and Jay Cutler?

Jay Cutler made the pro bowl. Can throw the ball very well and has always been in the wrong type of system. He is a 90's type of QB. He would be much like Romo in Dallas if they could surround him with the proper talent; big OL and a strong ground game. Forte doesn't support that

Eli Manning and Jay Cutler?

Jay Cutler made the pro bowl. Can throw the ball very well and has always been in the wrong type of system. He is a 90's type of QB. He would be much like Romo in Dallas if they could surround him with the proper talent; big OL and a strong ground game. Forte doesn't support that

Peyton so you must of been talking Eli. The problem with Cutler is he does the dumbest things at the worst times possible. He has loads of talent but not much between the ears.

After another disappointing season, will it be status quo with the front office and coaching staff? We have a number of free agents and limited cap space this offseason, even if we release Williams, McKelvin and Harvin. If Ryan needs new personnel on defense, can this really be accomplished in one offseason? Releasing Mario Williams will create another hole. Unfortunately, I am not sure we can count on Henderson and A. Williams returning next season (but I hope this is not the case). Will we have a better team next year?

that would actually be a great role for him and I think it would really help the Bills. But, I still doubt he wants a real job with the organization.

My distinct impression is when Polian says "consultant" he means "consultant" - hired gun who will, for a fee, lay out his ideas about what's right and what's wrong and what should be done, then cash his check and walk off (with the possibility of future sessions)

It's a great gig. If what you recommend doesn't work out, you can always find a reason why ("they didn't use the right metrics to evaluate the QB draft class" "they fell in love with one player and gave up too much for him"). If something else gets done, you can always second guess it with the benefit of hindsight. You have no responsibility to actually fix things and no accountability if things don't get fixed.

That makes two of us.

oh so you two will not get in step?

Is that what you are saying here? Because that is what i am hearing!

duly noted.

delinquents the both of you

Polian is right about two things; Tyrod is not a franchise QB & our offensive line is poor. But our offense has not been the problem in 2015. Rex failed in keeping the defense as a top 5 unit.

pfft.

that is nearly a contradiction Dr.

The only part of his critique offered in the piece that I question is the "aging and unathletic" line. The OL actually moves pretty well and most of the guys are relatively young with the notable exception of Incognitio. The right side of the line is in need of upgrades obviously.

Yes and actually Incognito pulls just fine from what I have seen. He's an NFL guard, what the hell does Bill want from him. Weird that Polian would say that.

The average age of our starting Oline this season was probably 4 years experience considering Miller is a rook and Henderson is only in 2 years

@RapSheet

The #Bills look at the improvements GM Doug Whaley has made in his tenure & Rex Ryan works well with him. The Pegulas are fans, too.

Discussed #Bills GM situation on @NFLGameDay: I'm told Doug Whaley is on very solid ground. Better chance he gets an extension than fired.

Which NFL general managers are on the hot seat?

Doug Whaley, Buffalo Bills

The Bills were supposed to make the playoffs this year, but fell flat. Aside from a disappointing Rex Ryan defense, there has been some rumbling about Whaley's drafts (he gave up a boatload to get Sammy Watkins only to watch Odell Beckham become the better player) and personnel moves (he cut Fred Jackson, leaving the team leaderless).

Despite an appearance from the outside that things between the GM and coach are discombobulated, Rapoport reported Whaley's job is safer than it appears.

"I am told, contrary to what most people think, he is on solid ground," Rapoport said. "In fact, heading into the final year of his contract, I'm told an extension is far more likely than him getting fired. The Pegulas, the new owners of the Buffalo Bills, think of him very fondly and he is in lockstep with coach Rex Ryan."

My distinct impression is when Polian says "consultant" he means "consultant" - hired gun who will, for a fee, lay out his ideas about what's right and what's wrong and what should be done, then cash his check and walk off (with the possibility of future sessions)

It's a great gig. If what you recommend doesn't work out, you can always find a reason why ("they didn't use the right metrics to evaluate the QB draft class" "they fell in love with one player and gave up too much for him"). If something else gets done, you can always second guess it with the benefit of hindsight. You have no responsibility to actually fix things and no accountability if things don't get fixed.

Bingo!

Bill Polian as consultant to the Bills = much better septuagenarian gig than Wal-Mart greeter.

#thanksforthememories

#notneeded

For what its worth Polian's negative comments about the Oline worked yesterday I only wished he would have trashed our DL earlier in the season maybe they would have been upset and played with emotion

Bill Polian coming back to the Bills would be a great idea look how much I helped when I came back

Sincerely, Marv Levy

Polian is out of touch. The game passes you by as you sit in a cushy ESPN job. Why do you think guys like Cowher and Gruden haven't come back? They're well aware that they would face a serious uphill battle.

We have two Pro Bowl alternates (which by the way, are the two "old" guys) on our line but they're aging and unathletic? Tells me all I need to know right there.

I just keep hearing Glory Days for people hoping Polian will save us. He built one man football teams in Indy. As bad as the Bills have been, we could win 7 games with Trent and JP. The Colts lost Manning and won 2. Think about that.

The best GM in Bills history (and very fortunate since he inherited Kelly and got the #1 overall pick in Bruce) but he should just golf and make opinions on tv.

@TyDunne

New at the BN Blog: Ryan on Polian's OL comments: 'I like the way our offensive line has played' ... http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/28/248175/

"I think we have an outstanding center," Ryan said. "I think we've got, in my opinion, one of the best guards in the league in Richie Incognito. An outstanding young right guard, an excellent right tackle. And our right tackle, we've had three different guys play that position but all three have been OK, in my opinion."

um, I think you forgot Cordy Glenn Rex. You know, our #1 off season priority

"I think we have an outstanding center," Ryan said. "I think we've got, in my opinion, one of the best guards in the league in Richie Incognito. An outstanding young right guard, an excellent right tackle. And our right tackle, we've had three different guys play that position but all three have been OK, in my opinion."

um, I think you forgot Cordy Glenn Rex. You know, our #1 off season priority

He definitely meant to say left tackle there in reference to Glenn.

I just keep hearing Glory Days for people hoping Polian will save us. He built one man football teams in Indy. As bad as the Bills have been, we could win 7 games with Trent and JP. The Colts lost Manning and won 2. Think about that.

The best GM in Bills history (and very fortunate since he inherited Kelly and got the #1 overall pick in Bruce) but he should just golf and make opinions on tv.

Robert Mathis (118 sacks), Dwight Freeney (118.5 sacks), Reggie Wayne (1,000 plus receptions who also played great before he got hurt with Luck), Bob Sanders, Edgerrin James (12,226 yards and 433 receptions), and Dallas Clark (505 receptions) beg to differ. 4 of those guys (Mathis, Freeney, Wayne, and James) are reasonable bets for the HOF. he inherited another HOF player (Harrison) and a very good LT (Tarik Glenn). That team was good. An elite QB is great and all, but you need a good team to average 12 wins a season over an 11 year stretch.

Edited by dave mcbride

Polian should be used as a consultant till Pegula finds the next VP of Football operations, since he is the Prez! He can fill Pegula's ear so he understands what too look for with the next management team. I believe Whaley is gone, EJ killed him and trading Cassell proved to be a big blunder. Taylor could have used Cassell's experiences and Bills could have benefited from two games using Cassell. I like where we are with running back but your telling me that Fred couldn't field punts and have taken Moore or Thigpens roster spot. Add to that the risk of Harvin/Goodwin always getting hurt, poor judgment. Polian is too old to run team but that doesn't mean some of the information he says isn't important!

I agree with the characterization that the game is likely to have passed Polian by. The number of successful GMs and coaches coming in after time off and time spent in the broadcast game is pretty low. You have to be highly adaptable to understand and anticipate trends in the league. I still feel like Polian had very good fortune in having Kelly, the quite underrated Kerry Collins, and Manning to work with. Having the most important position in the game set for you is huge. And yet, his teams only took home one Super Bowl ring. His Bills teams were one of the last great pre-free agency squads, and once it hit, it slowly took a toll on them. They survived because of Kelly /Thomas/Reed/Bruce and a rebuilt defense, but he was never able to get an elite D and elite offense at the same time. His drafts in the 90s were pretty damn bad.

He never hit on an heir apparent QB at any of his stops. I actually think that the job he did with Carolina was his finest work. Getting a team off the ground that quickly is impressive.

The perspectives he shares in this article amount to throwing darts. Some hit, some do not. He has had a great career, but I would rather look forward.

No thanks.

GO BILLS!!!

If it's for free what would it hurt to listen ?

It's like anything in life if you have someone that has been there done that & wants to help possibly make your path a bit easier by giving some expert type or better yet a more experienced "opinion" of the situation what can it hurt ?

They don't have to do what he tells them to do if in their opinion it goes totally against their beliefs or their direction then

DON'T DO IT !! BUT WHAT CAN LISTENING HURT ???

If it's for free what would it hurt to listen ?

...WHAT CAN LISTENING HURT ???

Too many cooks in the kitchen, questions of whose authority to respect... what if you disagree? Who is going to get Polian's magic prescription, and who won't be privy to this information? If Polian's suggestion is to blow it up, and we do, it's another blow to the continuity that Buffalo hasn't had for ages. When the Jauron and Gailey years are your model of relative stability, something is wrong.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, questions of whose authority to respect... what if you disagree? Who is going to get Polian's magic prescription, and who won't be privy to this information? If Polian's suggestion is to blow it up, and we do, it's another blow to the continuity that Buffalo hasn't had for ages. When the Jauron and Gailey years are your model of relative stability, something is wrong.

All that being said IF which is huge i will admit . IF they would have stayed the course with Chan & left Fitz at QB could the team been the Jets of this year ?

I for sure know that the team would have gotten something for all the dead money they had to give Fitz !!

All that being said IF which is huge i will admit . IF they would have stayed the course with Chan & left Fitz at QB could the team been the Jets of this year ?

I for sure know that the team would have gotten something for all the dead money they had to give Fitz !!

I don't know. Chan was just not a very strong figure at the HC position, and his DCs were just f---ing terrible. But they certainly had the talent to exceed this year's results. The excuses for the lack of success can be distributed pretty equally among discipline, ineffectiveness of scheme relative to personnel, newness of scheme / playbook, and injury.