A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1) It looks to me as if Dareus took the money and simply stopped trying. If he applied any pass rush at all today I must have missed it. And let's stop kidding ourselves, OK? He is no longer anything that special against the run.

2) I am not going to blast Roman as much as the inadequate coaches on defense, but those wildcat plays to EJ simply must stop. The first one was funny. The second wasn't.

3) Jerry Hughes has a lot of heart, and he's a very good player.

4) I used to think that Miller had a chance to be a good guard. Sadly, those days are gone. He is clueless and light in the ass. No way is he as good as Urbik. Mills? We can pretend he is ok, but today he looked as if he has no business on an NFL roster.

5) I hate to say this, but I will. The Bills were not a worse running team when Shady got hurt. Karlos can play football folks. Sorry.

6) The bottles stand as empty,

as they were filled before.

Time there was and plenty,

but from that cup no more.

Though I could not caution all,

I yet may warn a few:

Don't lend your hand to raise no flag,

atop no ship of fools.

7) Because of Rex Ryan, the Bills are probably the worst team in the NFL right now, and I could live with this. It's not like this is unfamiliar footing if you will. But we are losing because the coach insists on stupidity and does not bring any discipline or accountability. I wish he didn't have 4 years left because if it was up to me, I would have fired him at halftime.

8) Hughes, the only member of our defensive line who provides any pass rush, spent much of the 1st half in unsuccessful pass coverage. Just a complete waste.

9) Watkins makes it look easy in the end zone, doesn't he?

10) You know, Tyrod had 79 rushing yards on 9 carries which is great imo. Much of this yardage was on scrambles. I wish Roman would call more designed running plays. Speaking of Tyrod, I am liking him more and more. Tyrod isn't a quitter. He is a good young quarterback who continues to improve and doesn't make many mistakes.

11) I give up. What happened on that 1st quarter punt?

12) The teams we are losing to are so-so at best. We make them look like superstars, especially opposing quarterbacks.

13) McKelvin surprised me today. I didn't think that he could play so poorly.

14) There was actually a glimmer of hope at the very end of the 3rd quarter. We had them at 3rd and 16. We used a 3 man rush and Cousins, with all week to throw, completed a pass with ease. I never, ever thought we were this kind of weak, non-aggressive team. :(

15) In case I don't get around to it later this week, allow me to wish every one of you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas filled with joy. This forum is great and has been for years.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you Bill; your best thought had nothing to do with the game - it is #15. Same to you and your family !

How can you be surprised about Leodis, Bill? He's a week after week joke, when he's not injured.

Why was Rex brought here? He's a full on disaster, as predicted. The team has fallen apart under his lack of intelligence. Same for Roman--he's a fraud.

This can't change if these two are still here next year.

I enjoy your assessments and agree with most of them, but I am not yet sure about Taylor. One thing today confused me and you can't tell looking at a local broadcast so maybe someone else knows. It looked like the Skins were in a zone a good part of the day and I can't figure out why our wideouts can't find the holes in the zone. Is it that they do find holes and Taylor doesn't see it or doesn't have the confidence to drill it into a tight hole or is it that they don't find the holes.

My gut feel is that Taylor does not yet have the confidence to drill it into a tight space. That said, in essence this is his rookie season from a playing standpoint so he may just need some time and coaching.

One other thing -- to me the defense quit today with the exception of Hughes, McKelvin was as bad as it gets and as usual lately, Mario was no where to be found.

1) It looks to me as if Dareus took the money and simply stopped trying. If he applied any pass rush at all today I must have missed it. And let's stop kidding ourselves, OK? He is no longer anything that special against the run.

15) In case I don't get around to it later this week, allow me to wish every one of you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas filled with joy. This forum is great and has been for years.

16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I seem to remember what this coaching staff has been asking Dareus to do this year and that he has been complaining about it publicly since training camp. You can't rush the passer, and work the gap control too.

Why this defensive guru has castrated these superstar players on defense I'll never understand, and the defense this bad with no pass rush affects the entire team!

I suspect it will be a strange and interesting offseason filled with upheaval for Bills fans.

Merry Christmass to you and your family Bill, and to all Bills fans everywhere.

1) It looks to me as if Dareus took the money and simply stopped trying. If he applied any pass rush at all today I must have missed it. And let's stop kidding ourselves, OK? He is no longer anything that special against the run.2) I am not going to blast Roman as much as the inadequate coaches on defense, but those wildcat plays to EJ simply must stop. The first one was funny. The second wasn't.3) Jerry Hughes has a lot of heart, and he's a very good player.4) I used to think that Miller had a chance to be a good guard. Sadly, those days are gone. He is clueless and light in the ass. No way is he as good as Urbik. Mills? We can pretend he is ok, but today he looked as if he has no business on an NFL roster.5) I hate to say this, but I will. The Bills were not a worse running team when Shady got hurt. Karlos can play football folks. Sorry.6) The bottles stand as empty,as they were filled before.Time there was and plenty,but from that cup no more.Though I could not caution all,I yet may warn a few:Don't lend your hand to raise no flag,atop no ship of fools.7) Because of Rex Ryan, the Bills are probably the worst team in the NFL right now, and I could live with this. It's not like this is unfamiliar footing if you will. But we are losing because the coach insists on stupidity and does not bring any discipline or accountability. I wish he didn't have 4 years left because if it was up to me, I would have fired him at halftime.8) Hughes, the only member of our defensive line who provides any pass rush, spent much of the 1st half in unsuccessful pass coverage. Just a complete waste.9) Watkins makes it look easy in the end zone, doesn't he?10) You know, Tyrod had 79 rushing yards on 9 carries which is great imo. Much of this yardage was on scrambles. I wish Roman would call more designed running plays. Speaking of Tyrod, I am liking him more and more. Tyrod isn't a quitter. He is a good young quarterback who continues to improve and doesn't make many mistakes.11) I give up. What happened on that 1st quarter punt?12) The teams we are losing to are so-so at best. We make them look like superstars, especially opposing quarterbacks.13) McKelvin surprised me today. I didn't think that he could play so poorly.14) There was actually a glimmer of hope at the very end of the 3rd quarter. We had them at 3rd and 16. We used a 3 man rush and Cousins, with all week to throw, completed a pass with ease. I never, ever thought we were this kind of weak, non-aggressive team. :(15) In case I don't get around to it later this week, allow me to wish every one of you and your loved ones a Merry Christmas filled with joy. This forum is great and has been for years.16) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill,

Surprised you focused on Dareus and lack of effort. He at least made a couple of plays. Williams made zero plays and put forth even less effort. He did not play even close to the whistle today.

The plays that he was calling, including the EJ stuff, the way they used Kujo, and others, seemed designed to prove a point more than anything else. Just a sense I got.

My take is this entire season was purposely schemed to achieve a specific result not very different from the one you are hinting at and I'll leave it at that.

14) There was actually a glimmer of hope at the very end of the 3rd quarter. We had them at 3rd and 16. We used a 3 man rush and Cousins, with all week to throw, completed a pass with ease. I never, ever thought we were this kind of weak, non-aggressive team. :(

This was the first time...through ALL of this, that i started to think we haired the wrong head coach.

as soon as i saw 3 guys rushing i KNEW they'd convert....how depressing is that?

C'mon, tell us your theories, both of you. This is a forum to discuss the Bills, no? ;)

My theory is that Roman has had enough of Whaley meddling and telling him to play *his* guys (EJ, Kujo, who knows who else) and today was something like, "Here you go - I'm playing your guys. Take a look at how bad they are."

Again, it's just my hunch, but since you asked...

My theory is that Roman has had enough of Whaley meddling and telling him to play *his* guys (EJ, Kujo, who knows who else) and today was something like, "Here you go - I'm playing your guys. Take a look at how bad they are."

Again, it's just my hunch, but since you asked...

That is an interesting hunch. I am going to let that theory settle in and kick it around.

This was the first time...through ALL of this, that i started to think we haired the wrong head coach.

as soon as i saw 3 guys rushing i KNEW they'd convert....how depressing is that?

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Cousins was under no pressure at all. If that play was ongoing now he would STILL be standing tall looking for a receiver.

Last week I saw something even worse. They went with a 3 man rush and one of them actually dropped back. I am almost at the point where I think the league should investigate.

That is an interesting hunch. I am going to let that theory settle in and kick it around.

I know EXACTLY what you mean. Cousins was under no pressure at all. If that play was ongoing now he would STILL be standing tall looking for a receiver.

Last week I saw something even worse. They went with a 3 man rush and one of them actually dropped back. I am almost at the point where I think the league should investigate.

I didn't know Rex's base D was the Prevent...

Bill,

Surprised you focused on Dareus and lack of effort. He at least made a couple of plays. Williams made zero plays and put forth even less effort. He did not play even close to the whistle today.

I thought Dareus played a good game actually. Agree with you Mcbride

Great Posts as usual Bill, Rex was fired by the Jets. He left the team in shambles. With mature and intelligent coaching the Jets regrouped and are now a serious playoff contending team. Addition by subtraction.

With great fanfare Rex was hired. In his first year on the job a team that was on the upswing is now in a state of chaos. What was the attraction of him as a HCing candidate? I having figured it out yet. Subtraction by addition. Decisions have consequences. You get what you deserve to get.

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

2) I am not going to blast Roman as much as the inadequate coaches on defense, but those wildcat plays to EJ simply must stop. The first one was funny. The second wasn't.

3) Jerry Hughes has a lot of heart, and he's a very good player.

4) I used to think that Miller had a chance to be a good guard. Sadly, those days are gone. He is clueless and light in the ass. No way is he as good as Urbik. Mills? We can pretend he is ok, but today he looked as if he has no business on an NFL roster.

5) I hate to say this, but I will. The Bills were not a worse running team when Shady got hurt. Karlos can play football folks. Sorry.

6) The bottles stand as empty,

as they were filled before.

Time there was and plenty,

but from that cup no more.

Though I could not caution all,

I yet may warn a few:

Don't lend your hand to raise no flag,

atop no ship of fools.

7) Because of Rex Ryan, the Bills are probably the worst team in the NFL right now, and I could live with this. It's not like this is unfamiliar footing if you will. But we are losing because the coach insists on stupidity and does not bring any discipline or accountability. I wish he didn't have 4 years left because if it was up to me, I would have fired him at halftime.

8) Hughes, the only member of our defensive line who provides any pass rush, spent much of the 1st half in unsuccessful pass coverage. Just a complete waste.

9) Watkins makes it look easy in the end zone, doesn't he?

10) You know, Tyrod had 79 rushing yards on 9 carries which is great imo. Much of this yardage was on scrambles. I wish Roman would call more designed running plays. Speaking of Tyrod, I am liking him more and more. Tyrod isn't a quitter. He is a good young quarterback who continues to improve and doesn't make many mistakes.

11) I give up. What happened on that 1st quarter punt?

12) The teams we are losing to are so-so at best. We make them look like superstars, especially opposing quarterbacks.

13) McKelvin surprised me today. I didn't think that he could play so poorly.

1) I'm not the first one to say it - "never give a DT, particularly one with weight issues, a long term contract."

5) I'm not the first one to say it - "never overpay or overdraft a running back."

But Whaley and Rex are so much smarter than the conventional wisdom! Trading for McCoy was fine - you were going all in for 2015, and I assume they thought Kiko was damaged goods. Re-signing him to a big long-term contract you can't get out of without destroying the cap? Idiocy. Franchising Dareus would have been smart. Extending him the way they did? Idiocy. Smart teams kiss these tubs of lard goodbye. Remember how the Broncos "needed" Terrence "Pot Roast" Knighton in the middle? How the Pats would sorely miss Vince Wilfork? Because I don't remember why anyone thought those things. Albert Haynesworth. Ndamakung Suh. Dumb.

Wrecks has officially turn this team into the 2014 Jets.

He basically tried to fix something that wasn't broken...our #4 rated defense.

I was at today's game today knowing all we had to do was to play the same game plan as we did Brady in the 2nd Pats game.

Not only would we win but we would force Cousins into 2 or 3 turnovers like everyone else does.

We make mediocre QB's look great. Not sure what it takes to remove Wrecks from the job but today was a total embarrassment.

He has lost the defense. If he stays for another year we are assured a 4-12 team if we are lucky.

Edited by VADC Bills

The defense is so destroyed I can't even talk about it.

As for the offense - Roman was trying to stick it to someone today. Just a hunch, but I feel strongly about it. There is something going on behind the scenes.

Do you mean trying to run the ball up the middle with Shady at the goal line. :lol:

My perception has always been that Roman must have been onboard with the Shady acquisition but I just don't see how Shady fit's what Roman wants to do......which is pound a defense with the running game.

I enjoy your assessments and agree with most of them, but I am not yet sure about Taylor.

Taylor can't feel pressure either. All that speed is useless.

Our D puts us in a 21-0 hole early and TT gets the criticism? I think he deserves kudos for bringing us back to make it closer at least score wise

Do you mean trying to run the ball up the middle with Shady at the goal line. :lol:

My perception has always been that Roman must have been onboard with the Shady acquisition but I just don't see how Shady fit's what Roman wants to do......which is pound a defense with the running game.

Yup, that too. The playcalls today seemed to have a subtext, in the form of a giant middle finger pointing at OBD. Every year, the fans pay the price for the internal dysfunction and infighting. It's tiresome.

Regarding McCoy, he's been consistently good since coming back from the hamstring injury. Karlos, meanwhile, has gotten the majority of his yards against one team.

I love me some Karlos, but let's not promote him over a proven and consistent all pro.

To be fair, Rex wanted Schwartz to stay, but Schwartz declined.

You have to believe that even if that is the case, Schwartz knew that Rex would be shoving his defense down his throat. No way the two of them could have co-existed, and I think both knew that. Schwartz really wanted a HC gig, the last thing he would have wanted was to be a DC and have a defensive HC telling him how to run the defense.

All the people on here pleading for Schwartz to come back as DC with Rex HC aren't dealing in reality.

The attraction is obvious.

The guy is pretty persuading and completely full of ****. Pegulas fell for it hook line and sinker.

An interesting question is what was Whaley's input on the hire? Was he for it, have qualms, express doubts or simply acquiesce to the desires of the new owners who he didn't want to ruffle? Whaley certainly is familiar with the community of coaches in the league. Rex was a known quantity and had his own style of doing business. Considering that Rex had an extended stay in NY Whaley had to have a very good idea of what he was in for. I would love to know what he was really thinking at the time.

You have to believe that even if that is the case, Schwartz knew that Rex would be shoving his defense down his throat. No way the two of them could have co-existed, and I think both knew that. Schwartz really wanted a HC gig, the last thing he would have wanted was to be a DC and have a defensive HC telling him how to run the defense.

All the people on here pleading for Schwartz to come back as DC with Rex HC aren't dealing in reality.

I agree. Was the smart move for Schwartz to decline.

I'm not a reactive person, but it may be that Rex has to go. We have some problems to address on the offensive side of the ball - potentially the entire line save for center and WR2 down the depth chart. We can't fix both sides of the ball in the same offseason, and keeping Rex means finding lots of new starters and a bunch of new depth on D. It's a lot easier to change the coach than it is to dump our competent 4-3 personnel to find players to fit this mess of a scheme. So maybe biting the bullet and moving on from Rex is the better play. If he's here next year we better plan on seeing him the year afterthat, too, because I just don't see how we successfully go can go from 4-3 (2014) to incomprehensible mess (2015) to 3-4 (2016) back to 4-3 (assuming a new coach and a 4-3 in 2017). Defensive system changes take awhile, and with the talent we have we might be better off dumping the system as opposed to dumping the players.

As an aside, can anyone identify our base d? Hybrid doesn't count as a description. To these eyes it's a mess.

Merry Christmas everyone.

C'mon, tell us your theories, both of you. This is a forum to discuss the Bills, no? ;)

My theory may be a bit far-fetched and it will ultimately depend on whether or not Rex Ryan survives this offseason. Meaning either Ryan had a lobotomy and has almost completely forgotten how to blitz this season or has balls the size of twin moons of Titan and took it upon himself to purposely submarine his own defense by not blitzing to achieve another goal. That goal being to see a different GM in Buffalo next year. A winning season would certainly complicate things.

"The fact Ryan is the head coach, with four years left on his contract after this season, is not viewed as an impediment in the Bills' ability to attract other people to run the football operation, the source said."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/20/pegula-listening-to-outside-advice-on-bills-personnel-matters/

Now imagine what a hero Rex Ryan will look like next season when he asks his DT's to actually rush the passer and starts blitzing more than 10% like he has almost all this year. Perhaps up to the 50% in what made those 2009-2010 Jets teams so good on defense.

If this year's defensive scheme and other issues aren't contrived to lose games. Those other issues being the lack of team discipline (penalties), the sloppy play with miscommunication, the missed tackles, the poor special teams. Then this HC might just be the worst since Hank Bullough!

If Rex and staff are canned, what coaches are going to want to come year knowing they got one year leash? He has to get 2-3 years if only to put in his plan for the team. Not to be confused that I'm happy with what I've seen this year.

BTW this past week had a 4 day vacation in NYC. NYC rocks for sure. Loved it there. More than Vegas for comparison

Edited by MarkyMannn

Regarding the HC being fired...again...

I can't believe that I am at this point. With almost anyone else, I'd say that we need continuity into 2016, that we can't keep firing coaches but Rex sucks and it's not about the players. These things are on the coach:

(1) Defense goes from 4 to 20s and our guy is a defensive "genius"

(2) Penalties

(3) No consequences for all the absurd player behavior on and off the field (lunatics run the asylum)

(4) Massive underachieving season

I assume he'll be back but it hurts. I hated Rex as the Jets coach. I actually now think he's a terrific guy but not a capable head coach. At all. I don't yearn for Marrone. Nor do I want Rex.

All I want for Christmas is at least 2 good linebackers. Do the Bills have the worst linebackers in the NFL? Quick: name the Bills LB you like the most. Yeah, not so easy.

Edited by Observer

Good post. Its been so long since we've been above average. Now that it is officially over it is back to the drawing board. Decisions need to be made about next year about a bunch of different positions as well as on the coaching staff.

Agree. This franchise is broken! Here we are with a couple of games left, and for the 16th time in a row, eliminated from playoff contention. I only watched a few minutes of the game and had to leave for other obligations. But what I saw was 3rd rate football. Different coaches makes no difference, high draft choices, free agents, nothing. During every summer, the organization rolls out yet another cliché battle cry, "lead the charge," " we're going to be the bullies", "we're not going to be out-worked" and on, and on, and on. Yet the end result is always the same. How can that be for 16 solid years?

Roman wants to run the ball often and well. McCoy fits in very well with a team that wants to run. I don't see the problem with him fitting into Romans offense, he runs very well.

Edited by klos63

McKelvin continues to be a poor excuse for a football player. You'll know the Bills have improved when he's no longer around. Ditto Ryan as coach.

I like Hogan but as others have mentioned previously, why does he leap when he doesn't have to? It cost us a major chunk of yardage today.

Less than a yard to go for a TD and you continually attempt to run up the middle behind our immovable objects on the OL. Why?

Darby really had a bad game.

When Hughes, who never quits, has to be in pass coverage, something is desperately wrong.

We need a stud middle linebacker and two offensive linemen who can run and pass block.

Not going to Sammy regularly until mid-season was such a waste.