Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

Anyone who is asking a 22-year old athletic marvel who got where he is by making spectacular catches while beating nearly every db he plays against like a drum to be a font of measured wisdom doesn't really understand what these guys are like. He is who is -- a young and supremely gifted athlete with the confidence to match the talent. He does not have a diploma in rocket surgery. I think everyone should let it go, and that the the Bills should strive to get him the damn ball.

^

This!

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's using the media to call out his QB or his OC while he's been out injured and stated lack of targets are "making me look bad"..

It's unprofessional and messes with team chemistry.

Is anyone starting to see a santonio Holmes situation starting to smolder here?

Is that the issue? That he went to the media? He's not getting the ball. He could stand on top of the mountains, he could yell at the QB's, he could take to the media, the internet or write a book...

But none of that matters unless he gets the ball more. I'm sure he's still a good teammate, and until I see it reported otherwise, I think you're creating drama. Mario Williams even said, just get him the ball.

All of that extra crap about maturity doesn't matter one bit. He needs the ball thrown to him. No one's play will suffer because of hurt feelings nearly as much as the team will improve if Sammy Watkins gets the ball 10+ times per game.

He's using the media to call out his QB or his OC while he's been out injured and stated lack of targets are "making me look bad"..

It's unprofessional and messes with team chemistry.

Is anyone starting to see a santonio Holmes situation starting to smolder here?

Where's the evidence of that?

No.

Is that the issue? That he went to the media? He's not getting the ball. He could stand on top of the mountains, he could yell at the QB's, he could take to the media, the internet or write a book...

But none of that matters unless he gets the ball more. I'm sure he's still a good teammate, and until I see it reported otherwise, I think you're creating drama. Mario Williams even said, just get him the ball.

All of that extra crap about maturity doesn't matter one bit. He needs the ball thrown to him. No one's play will suffer because of hurt feelings nearly as much as the team will improve if Sammy Watkins gets the ball 10+ times per game.

Yeah that's the issue. The diva stuff doesn't play well when you're on the same team. Sure Mario is fine with it, is Harvin? Is Tyrod?

Anyhow I'm all for targeting him 30 times a game of he's dominating no matter the coverage. I say let him live up to it. Either he will deliver or he will STFU...

This thread is either popcorn worthy ...or a case study of who watches the Bills games and all-22, and other NFL games and ...who reads the enter article and who does not.

Well said and true, new poster to this board (have read it for years), migrating from another site that has gotten ridiculous with subjective ignorance.

Everything Sammy said is right, his delivery needs some work in that going through media and doing so coming off an injury makes him look immature and is poor timing collectively speaking.

I did All-22 reviews last year and he was either open way more often than not in single coverage or double covered more often than not in general. This year is just a continuance of last year in that as he states the QB's are not even looking his way in 1 on 1 coverage or at all, and that is the same thing I see when I watch the 22. He is not alone either, Woods last year and Hogan this year have been open often only to have Taylor/Orton/Manuel go with a predetermined 1st read and are not looking pre/post snap.

Sammy is 22, an elite talent who is frustrated and rightfully so, but his evaluation of his situation IMO is spot on and shows an high level of understanding his situation. Like most 22 year old's his timing and delivery are not and in this situation were not ideal.

Well, to be honest, TT is at fault for not trying to get the ball to Sammy more. Plain and simple. He should be called out for that and Roman should step in and make sure he's looking at and for his Number 1 receiver on every play. PERIOD. He's not chopped liver out there, so stop making him look like it by IGNORING him in the offense.

And does anyone know if Sammy sought out Tyler Dunne because he just "HAD" to get this off his chest?

Or, did Dunne seek Sammy out and engage him in a conversation about why he's not being targeted much this year?

To me, it sounds like the later. Dunne got some juicy quotes and ran with them. Didn't Sammy tweet a regret about Tyler not saying that he's happy to have the ball spread around because the article (or excepts from it) make him seem selfish.

Sweet Jesus, would people around here be complaining if Aaron Rodgers were our QB and he threw the ball six times a game?

Well said and true, new poster to this board (have read it for years), migrating from another site that has gotten ridiculous with subjective ignorance.

Everything Sammy said is right, his delivery needs some work in that going through media and doing so coming off an injury makes him look immature and is poor timing collectively speaking.

I did All-22 reviews last year and he was either open way more often than not in single coverage or double covered more often than not in general. This year is just a continuance of last year in that as he states the QB's are not even looking his way in 1 on 1 coverage or at all, and that is the same thing I see when I watch the 22. He is not alone either, Woods last year and Hogan this year have been open often only to have Taylor/Orton/Manuel go with a predetermined 1st read and are not looking pre/post snap.

Sammy is 22, an elite talent who is frustrated and rightfully so, but his evaluation of his situation IMO is spot on and shows an high level of understanding his situation. Like most 22 year old's his timing and delivery are not and in this situation were not ideal.

You will experience ZERO subjective ignorance here (in the next 12 seconds .. maybe).

Welcome!

Definitely significant, but the point I was trying to get across is that targets are a function of getting open, or at least the QB seeing you as open. Ben Watson had 12 targets in last night's game, mostly because he was open all night and ATL didn't have answer to an otherwise mediocre TE.

Did you read the part where he says film shows he's open, a lot? Targets SHOULD be a function of getting open, but that's not happening here. I get that he has missed time, but the film doesn't lie. He is open a lot. And if they roll coverage, move him around the los sometimes.

I can't believe I read 25 pages of this.

But I did, so ...

I don't think anyone is saying that Sammy is wrong (he's not).

I think most people are saying that he should watch what he says to the media (I believe he should).

Keep this crap in the locker room. And while you're at it, get back on the !@#$ing field, Sally.

He has been proving it. He's always open. How can he catch balls that aren't thrown to him?

Catch the balls that are thrown to him. Can't be targeted if you're not on the field either. Strange time to complain when you haven't been on the field.

Catch the balls that are thrown to him. Can't be targeted if you're not on the field either. Strange time to complain when you haven't been on the field.

I agree that its odd that he's complaining about this before he has even played a game since being injured.

It would be different if he came back 2 weeks ago and hasnt been targeted since

CBF

You will experience ZERO subjective ignorance here (in the next 12 seconds .. maybe).

Welcome!

I thought so, and I had a feeling the sarcasm meter would be running as close to zero as could be as well... :w00t:

Thank you!

I hope he is now hungry and angry, and starts playing up to his draft position. He is a very talented receiver that can make plays other can't, however with that being said he also seems to drop easy balls sometimes. Those drops on 3rd down are huge to teams, so hopefully he get focused and plays to his ability again, he has to say healthy as well. Talking about about making anybody look bad he has done some of that for himself, drops, and least not forget the bone head play of dropping the ball before crossing the goal line for a touchdown last year.

Only in Buffalo can a team's most talented player demanding that he be more involved so he can help the team win be seen as a negative...

As for the "then get open!" crowd. Watch the All-22's. He's open. A LOT.

He should demand it from his coaching staff. Not with a microphone in front of his face.

He should demand it from his coaching staff. Not with a microphone in front of his face.

one might guess that hes been doing that as well. one might even take a shot that someone like rex is quite alright with this.

sometimes ruffling a feather or two can help an organization, not just cause implosions. if theres a guy to do that ruffling, hes a good one, and he wasnt far out of bounds. if we see conflict from this, then have the discussion - but until then, who are we to judge what the dynamic inside that locker room is?

Only in Buffalo can a team's most talented player demanding that he be more involved so he can help the team win be seen as a negative...

As for the "then get open!" crowd. Watch the All-22's. He's open. A LOT.

Or better yet, go to the game. It's painful.

Get him the ball.

I dont really care about these quotes, it's just noise. Every team with stars has guys yapping.

I dont like Roman. I think he is the kind of guy that wants to win the game with his scheme (the extreme being Chip Kelly) When you have a player that can take over a game, you gotta get him the ball.

one might guess that hes been doing that as well. one might even take a shot that someone like rex is quite alright with this.

sometimes ruffling a feather or two can help an organization, not just cause implosions. if theres a guy to do that ruffling, hes a good one, and he wasnt far out of bounds. if we see conflict from this, then have the discussion - but until then, who are we to judge what the dynamic inside that locker room is?

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just my personal belief that bringing issues like this to the media is literally never a good idea.

I understand where you're coming from.

It's just my personal belief that bringing issues like this to the media is literally never a good idea.

Brandon Marshall did the exact same thing three years ago in Chicago when he first got there. Actually went on television and said (paraphrased) "you traded a lot to get me, just give me the ball". You know what they did? They gave him the ball. And they started winning.

And everyone who has played with him will tell you that Brandon Marshall is an excellent teammate. There's whining and making the team look bad and then there is providing thoughtful, rational reasons why you need to be engaged in the offense more. Sammy did the later. This isn't Terrell Owens doing situps in a driveway. This is a guy who said what was on his mind, rather diplomatically, and is getting raked for it.

Brandon Marshall did the exact same thing three years ago in Chicago when he first got there. Actually went on television and said (paraphrased) "you traded a lot to get me, just give me the ball". You know what they did? They gave him the ball. And they started winning.

And everyone who has played with him will tell you that Brandon Marshall is an excellent teammate. There's whining and making the team look bad and then there is providing thoughtful, rational reasons why you need to be engaged in the offense more. Sammy did the later. This isn't Terrell Owens doing situps in a driveway. This is a guy who said what was on his mind, rather diplomatically, and is getting raked for it.

Brandon Marshall also had a QB who was capable of finding and hitting an open receiver.

But that's for another thread.

Brandon Marshall also had a QB who was capable of finding and hitting an open receiver.

Brandon Marshall stated that the best QB he ever played with was KYLE ORTON. So what's Sammy's excuse?

hahaha, awesome

@AlbertBreer

Watkins' rep coming out of Clemson was of a player that was mature and mentally prepared for the NFL. So his comments are ... surprising.

@JeremyWGR

Jeremy White Retweeted Albert Breer

His comments may be many things, but I don’t know where they’d lack maturity or mental preparedness.

@JeremyWGR

Pretty cut-and-dry…SW thinks he’s every bit as good as the best and the guys that get all the pub. He wants in on that. That’s called drive.

If the QB cant get it to him downfield, then give him a screen pass. If the QB cant even do that, then hand it to him. They have handed it to Percy Harvin, and they have handed it to Marcus Easley.

Get him the ball.

Edited by HoF Watkins

We have to get this man the ball. Let him beat the DB one on one..

I don't think his comments are petty. He wants to make plays, its killing him inside not having opportunities to make plays

Edited by ddaryl

Definitely significant, but the point I was trying to get across is that targets are a function of getting open, or at least the QB seeing you as open. Ben Watson had 12 targets in last night's game, mostly because he was open all night and ATL didn't have answer to an otherwise mediocre TE.

Obj had 21 catches at or behind the LOS. Those aren't getting open. Those are bubble screens. Sammy had 4.

Someone tweeted or emailed Howard Simon or Jeremy White with the new name of Sam-ME Whaa-tkins. :lol:

Someone on NFL network last week was abusing Michael Irvin and said "There are three i's in Michael Irvin." Ha.

Um, his one big game in the NFL? So his major, difference-making performances against Miami, Detroit, and Minnesota, plus his 7-catch effort against Denver's excellent pass defense don't count as big games?

Also, he didn't celebrate too early on his long TD against the Jets...he slowed down because there was nobody within 25 yards of him.

I quite often wonder what people are watching....

The guy that caught him from behind was within 25 yards.