The "can Dan" Carpenter thread

I honestly think he might be in real trouble.......

Rex isnt gonna put up with this

I agree, Rex has always seemed kind of petulant to me and I think he will put a large chunk of the blame for the loss on Carpenter (and not entirely unfairly) and I expect there to be some free agent kickers in camp this week. Wish I knew what changed from last year, he was money.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carpenter's chip shot miss was ugly, but making him a scapegoat today is stupid.

And cutting him would be beyond stupid.

I remember when Rian Lindell missed the chip shot FG against the Steelers, and I was calling for him to be cut too. Turns out he would remain a very reliable Kicker for us, and I was very wrong about him.

I'd say Carpenter deserves to stay.

I agree, Rex has always seemed kind of petulant to me and I think he will put a large chunk of the blame for the loss on Carpenter (and not entirely unfairly) and I expect there to be some free agent kickers in camp this week. Wish I knew what changed from last year, he was money.

He's apparently playing with an injury as well as more pressure (the field goal length extra points).

Rex has much bigger problems than Carpenter. He should first focus on 17 penalties.

It's not just Rex. Bowles in NY is a quiet disciplinarian and today his team had 14 penalties for 163 yards. I think the problem is a combination of Rex's style, our building reputation, and an general increase in flags across the league.

FWIW, Scobee was just about perfect when he played in Jacksonville, so not sure what happened went he got signed by the Stealers.

Playing for the same team for so long, Scobee was in a comfort zone. Moving to the Steelers surrounded him with a different supporting cast. Plus Pittsburgh is one of the more difficult venues for kickers

On a similar note, cutting Carpenter and bringing in another kicker will result in a getting to know you period with the rest of the FG team. Plus Buffalo can be a tricky place for kickers too

Everyones right, you can't let Carpenter go, he was money last year.

This year, not so much, and the year before last, also not so much, but last year he was money and if he gets his head on striaght, or the rules change back, or he heals up from whatever injuries he has been suffering from obviously he will be money again

I would definitly be bringing in kickers this week to look at and not be waiting for Dan to get his groove back. Gay, or any street free agent with kicking experience can miss field goals just as good as Carpenter has.

And this isn't because of todays game, this is because the offseason and a bunch of times in these last 4 games, mr. 'Money' can't hit FGs or Extra points that a kicker should.......

Carpenter's chip shot miss was ugly, but making him a scapegoat today is stupid.

And cutting him would be beyond stupid.

I remember when Rian Lindell missed the chip shot FG against the Steelers, and I was calling for him to be cut too. Turns out he would remain a very reliable Kicker for us, and I was very wrong about him.

I'd say Carpenter deserves to stay.

So how do we know if youre wrong about this, too? If you were wrong once in saying to cut Lindell, you may be wrong again in saying to keep Carpenter. How can we trust you (except for your movie reviews, which are usually spot on)???

Shouldn't you offer a solution to the problem you create by cutting Carpenter? Cut him and then what - have Gay kick FG's? What available kicker is better?

Since Carpenter doesn't kick off, he had better be accurate as a field goal kicker--and nowadays, as an extra point kicker too. That makes the calculation with him a little different than it is with most kickers. Would you be better off with a different all-purpose (FG and kickoff) kicker + another player on the active roster? That's why I view Carpenter's situation as more precarious than that of other slumping FG kickers.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Give Carpenter a break. He is the best kicker we had since Christie and not the reason we lost today. Kickers take way too much of the blame. He just may be slaying to many orcs in Middle-earth in his off time, though I cant blame him

Did anyone watch any other game today. FG kickers had a horrible weekend around the league. Maybe they'll all be cut which would leave a lot of options.

I always thought Kai Forbath was decent. Why don't we kick the tires on him?

and then what?

Well dustin Hopkins was sitting there waiting for a call before the season opener. Now he's 6/6 for tge skins.

Yup. Skins fans are loving him. I was bummed when he got the hamstring injury after we drafted him. His pedigree was very good and now his potential is turning into reality

Btw, ya can't cut Dan Carpenter. He has to play himself out of this funk. Do you realize how fast he would be scooped up by teams like the Steelers and Eagles?!? Just a bunch of nobody's out there right now. You can't cut a known kicker

Do you watch other games?

Saints kicker just missed a 30 YD FG to win the game at home and in a some

Plenty of bad kicking. Carpenter is fine.

Hey maybe if the Saints cut their guy who jut missed a 30 yarder, then we can sign him instead of Carpenter!

Typing at same time! Lol

Any kicker off the street would be an upgrade. He is just not dependable.

Imo

A kicker off the street isn't reliable either, that's why he's available at this point in the season. They should work some kickers out, but I wouldn't put Carpenter out to pasture just yet. It CAN be worse.

So how do we know if youre wrong about this, too? If you were wrong once in saying to cut Lindell, you may be wrong again in saying to keep Carpenter. How can we trust you (except for your movie reviews, which are usually spot on)???

:rolleyes:

Everyones right, you can't let Carpenter go, he was money last year.

This year, not so much, and the year before last, also not so much, but last year he was money and if he gets his head on striaght, or the rules change back, or he heals up from whatever injuries he has been suffering from obviously he will be money again

I would definitly be bringing in kickers this week to look at and not be waiting for Dan to get his groove back. Gay, or any street free agent with kicking experience can miss field goals just as good as Carpenter has.

And this isn't because of todays game, this is because the offseason and a bunch of times in these last 4 games, mr. 'Money' can't hit FGs or Extra points that a kicker should.......

Ummm, the year before last he was 33/36 on FG's, 6 from 50+

Carpenter has been money since he got here.

In this case he likely cost us a win...that miss caused a chain of events that saw us go for it on 4th and goal instead of kicking another FG to cut it to a one possession game. Game would have been tied at 16 instead of us being down 16-10.

So, it wasn't the 17 penalties or the poor tackling on a short pass to a RB that led to a 50 yard Giants' TD right after the Bills cut the lead to 16-10 that had anything to do with the loss?

Remember when we had the thread about why Miami cut him and settled on it being an overreaction to a bad couple weeks? Think we are having one of those moments here?

pretty sure the guy is injured and trying to kick anyway. he's on the injury report every week... Rexy gonna have to stick with him and hope he gets healthy... the 51 yarder may have tweaked something... don't shoot the kicker, he certainly did not lose the game. cut urbik and get a younger guy up from the practice squad . but urbik is the backup center... ugh. JOhn miller better get healthy quickly.