The "can Dan" Carpenter thread

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had no freakin idea that the goal posts had been narrowed from 18 feet to 14 feet, IN ADDITION to moving the line of scrimmage back 13 yards....holy crap!!!

I didn't either, I searched but couldn't find anything saying they did narrow the goal posts except an article said they were going to experiment with it for the 2015 Pro Bowl. If they did I am surprised there aren't even more missed FGs, that drastic a change removes 25% of the target area.

In this case he likely cost us a win...that miss caused a chain of events that saw us go for it on 4th and goal instead of kicking another FG to cut it to a one possession game. Game would have been tied at 16 instead of us being down 16-10.

This is the first thread I could bring myself to read since yesterday's disappointment, so I apologize if this point has been made elsewhere, but I did read this entire thread to make sure it wasn't mentioned here.

Anyway, maybe we were actually better off that he missed the field goal. It caused us to go for it on 4th. That failure pinned the Giants deep. They go 3 and out (I believe), punt, we get great field position and score quick TD. That's a +1 point improvement in a relatively short period of time. If he makes the kick, who knows what would have happened from that point forward. Your thought process in this matter is linear, when in reality, the chain of events was much more dynamic and dependent on what actually happened along the way. If we get the 2nd field goal, do the Giants go 3 and out from their 20? If so and the punt do we get the ball inside the 50? I could go on and on? Every event unleashes it's own, unique chain of events.

I just don't understand how the same guy can make a 51 yarder and miss a 30 yarder

wind, and what hash they put the ball on.

I'll guess the left hash is better for kickers than crossing back to the left from the right.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

So many missed kicks this year, of all lengths. The league clearly wants fewer made kicks and they exclusively control the kicking balls. Wonder if they made an adjustment there. Even within the legal parameters, balls with less air are a little more angular than a fully inflated ball and I'd think would tend to curve a little more when flying end over end. Plus kickers would have to swing harder adding to the likelihood of pulls and pushes.

Or maybe I should buy a tin foil hat.

There was very little wind. I believe they used afghan, it was probably too sticky.

Imo

Apologies, I was speaking in general terms and not specific to a single kicker.

So when's EJ getting cut again?

back in the day bazar kabul (sp?) was my favorite.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Carpenter has missed a total of two FGs this season, one of which was 54 yards in a blowout win (against the Dolphins).

He is a bit hurt, and has a young baby in the house. The Bills needs to support him and stick by him, unless the wheels completely come off. I think he will be fine in the long run.

Well, as long as we do not overreact.

^^

This.

Kickers are a weird breed, to be sure. Scoby was a long-time acuurate PK for Jax and the community was as heart-broken as we were with Fred's departure, when he was traded to Pittsburgh to shore up their need. 2 weeks later, he's pushing carts at Wal-Mart. Carpenter is in a funk, no question. But he's the most reliable kicker in team history -which makes this thread ridiculous. JMO.

On another note can we make Colton Schmidt president? :D

Yeah he's been impressive.

That's because they haven't. Yet another post for his greatest hits album.

They talked about doing all sorts of things, but yeah settled on backing it up. I think they also recently extended the height of the uprights but no change to the width.