I think Peyton Manning is done

Fan in Chicago

At the end of last season, I saw a couple of Peyton Manning games and started thinking that this guy looks spent. I even thought and wanted him to retire so that he can go out on a semi-high. However, he (and the Broncos?) made a decision that he will play this season. Again, this Sunday, I saw Manning as looking very very average. His throws lacked zip, accuracy was middling. The O gameplan is conservative to cover up his seriously declined arm strength. If this is how he is throwing in the first game of the season, I shudder to think how excruciating it will be to watch him in November and December. This article also in the in same vein and really think he should have hung it up. There is no glory in stumbling towards the finish line, a sad shadow of what he once was.

Thoughts ?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-picked-up-where-he-left-off-%E2%80%94-looking-very-very-old/ar-AAefY95?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=mailsignout

I think he's at the end of the road. I wanted to believe it was just the quad injury last year, but his arm looked shot on Sunday. I could still see him leading his team into the playoffs as a game manager because he still understands how to play the position as well as anyone, but it doesn't look like he's got the arm to pick apart teams like he did in the past.

At the end of last season, I saw a couple of Peyton Manning games and started thinking that this guy looks spent. I even thought and wanted him to retire so that he can go out on a semi-high. However, he (and the Broncos?) made a decision that he will play this season. Again, this Sunday, I saw Manning as looking very very average. His throws lacked zip, accuracy was middling. The O gameplan is conservative to cover up his seriously declined arm strength. If this is how he is throwing in the first game of the season, I shudder to think how excruciating it will be to watch him in November and December. This article also in the in same vein and really think he should have hung it up. There is no glory in stumbling towards the finish line, a sad shadow of what he once was.

Thoughts ?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/peyton-manning-picked-up-where-he-left-off-%E2%80%94-looking-very-very-old/ar-AAefY95?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=mailsignout

He has certainly declined, but in many ways he remains an above average QB. He is certainly still better than Brock Osweiler.

I don't see how he survives the season. That line is terrible, the running game wasn't there like they hoped against Baltimore and he's going to get "Arthur Moats"'d at some point this season.

The real question - does he catch Favre for all time yards? He needs 1,972. If he can average 283 (seems like a tall task after Sunday) he'll break the record in Indy.

He has certainly declined, but in many ways he remains an above average QB. He is certainly still better than Brock Osweiler.

From the neck up, I agree, nobody is better. But it seems clear to me that he can't win games with his arm and sooner or later teams are gonna staçk the box and dare him to do just that and I think he is gonna take a pounding as a result.

I have never seen him hit as many times in 18 years as I've seen him his last half dozen games or so.

I think Kubiak is gonna be faced with a hard decision soon.

GO BILLS!!!

Peyton is done. But Brady, a year and five months younger, still looks and plays like a man in his prime. Just good genes and clean living, I guess. <_<

Manning was drafted in 1998. He started right away and has sat out 2011 with injury. So he had 16 seasons as starting QB prior to this year.

Brady was drafted in 2000. He started in 2001 and has sat out 2008 with injury. So he had 13 seasons as starting QB, prior to this year.

So Manning has 3 more seasons of sacks, hits, and hurries than Brady.

That would mean we better solve Tom Brady 'cuz he might be around for 3 or 4 more g#@@$#! years.

I think this will most likely be Peyton's last year. I could see him pulling a Farve if he has a half way decent year and trying to go to a good team in desperate need of a half way decent QB for one last ride. But if he can't be an effective QB anymore then I think Denver with a rising defense and a young QB in the wings will dump Peyton's huge cap hit to further add and retain talent and give Brock a shot.

However if Peyton turns in a good season it's going to be interesting. Denver will likely want to resign Brock to a modest short term deal to take over as the starter if Manning looks spent. But if Manning still looks like a top 10 QB then it will be very interesting to see if the Broncos try and go for it another season with Manning and let Brock walk, or do they still let Peyton walk and take their chances on a much younger but unproven QB.

Edited by billsfan89

How do you know?

I'm going to take a wild guess. I bet at the end of the season that Manning will have between 27-30 TD passes, 12-15 INTs, 3500 yards, and a completion rate of 63-65 percent. It'll represent a decline, but at the same time, it'll be better than any Bills QB's season since 1991.

I'm going to take a wild guess. I bet at the end of the season that Manning will have between 27-30 TD passes, 12-15 INTs, 3500 yards, and a completion rate of 63-65 percent. It'll represent a decline, but at the same time, it'll be better than any Bills QB's season since 1991.

I admire the boldness of this prediction. He has four TD passes in his last six games. There are declines and then there is falling off a cliff. Given his previous rate of TD passes per game in his career, he is climbing Everest with banana peel shoes.

GO BILLS

hot take!

Thanx. <_<

Said it after the 2013 season so not breaking news to me. He looked old and cold. He'll still have his games but he can't IMO carry a team.

Yes it is not breaking news but at the end of last season, there was talk about him being possibly injured and he will recover over the off-season. Even though the trends were there for the better part of last season, he chose to continue his career. I am questioning his decision and wondering if a QB of his stature can ever be benched. Even though it may be the right football decision eventually, the fans may not want it. Interesting for sure.

That would mean we better solve Tom Brady 'cuz he might be around for 3 or 4 more g#@@$#! years.

True. Brady** is showing no signs or hints at retiring in the near future. Pats** will also have similar interesting decisions in a couple of years - play Brady** till he can not stand any more or bring on the future.

Sounds quite wild and I doubt he can do it, but we will see. At this point, it seems like he may have enough to trump the lower level teams but will have a lot of difficulty against a half-way decent defense or if the game is a shootout.

Honestly I am worried now.

I am a HUGE Manning fan. Love the guy and everything he has done and stands for. In 2013 he set single season NFL records as a passer. In 2014 he was on a very good pace early on then it all fell apart seemingly overnight.

I was hoping it was an injury that healed up. However, I'm worried.

I will say this though: that Denver/Baltimore game was a defensive slug fest without a single TD on offense for either team. Flacco looked even worse than Manning, so it might be that the defenses were just THAT good. I've never seen Flacco unable to complete anything over 5 yards. His calling card has always been the deep pass and it was not there.

This KC game will be interesting. Arrowhead (where even Brady* looked like crap last season) is a tough place to play, and that Chiefs D is nasty. We'll see if Manning looks better.

There are many repercussions to Tom Brady and the New England Patriots organizationally sanctioned cheating, but I think the people who have suffered the most (outside of bills fans :cry: ) are Tom's fellow quarterbacks, both in and out of conference.

Tom Brady and the Patriots basically set the bar for a "good season" at 18-0, record breaking offensive statistics, and at a minimum, a Super Bowl appearance--but a win should be expected.

This has most impacted 3 quarterbacks: Roethlisberger, and the Manning brothers. Both Eli and Ben have won 2 (two!) Super Bowls, but you would think they are "average" quarterbacks. Peyton has won 1, and is still sitting pretty after a great win over Baltimore opening weekend.

Now, with all that being said, do I think Peyton is at the end of the road?

Of course. And his stats will be down this year, he'll be less effective, etc. But, at the end of the day, Peyton can still win football games, and while it might not be pretty, it'll work.

There are no quick solutions to quarterbacking--I shudder to think what this board will look like after TT has his first bad game against a good defense. Surely, there will be calls for his benching.

There is the whole fusing his spine together thing.

On that topic, I spoke with a friend who is a doctor and he talked about spinal fusion and how it's not a permanent fix and that it's degenerative. He said it would be hard for Peyton to have the surgery again on the same vertebrate in the future, and that what's fusing the spine (usually screws, metal plates, rods) will wear down the bone. Eventually he will have limited mobility in his neck, especially turning from side to side. It was a depressing conversation.

I admire the boldness of this prediction. He has four TD passes in his last six games. There are declines and then there is falling off a cliff. Given his previous rate of TD passes per game in his career, he is climbing Everest with banana peel shoes.

GO BILLS

He was hurt pretty badly in the last couple of games last year, and he did in fact make some good throws against Baltimore. Let's put it this way: he didn't look stellar against a good Baltimore defense, but he did look better than he did the last couple of games last season (after his leg injury late in the season vs. SD). I wouldn't write his epitaph quite yet.

He was hurt pretty badly in the last couple of games last year, and he did in fact make some good throws against Baltimore. Let's put it this way: he didn't look stellar against a good Baltimore defense, but he did look better than he did the last couple of games last season (after his leg injury late in the season vs. SD). I wouldn't write his epitaph quite yet.

I really would like to believe all this as I hate seeing all time greats in any sport stay too long. And I agree that his thigh injury impacted his performance at the end of last season. But he had all offseason to rehab, etc. and he just hasn't looked right. From OTAs to camp and preseason games, he is just not spinning the ball like before. I think he is dealing with nerve issues. I seem that recall he said he still has numbness in his fingers for instance.

I'll be rooting for him and I hope you are right.

GO BILLS!!!

I really would like to believe all this as I hate seeing all time greats in any sport stay too long. And I agree that his thigh injury impacted his performance at the end of last season. But he had all offseason to rehab, etc. and he just hasn't looked right. From OTAs to camp and preseason games, he is just not spinning the ball like before. I think he is dealing with nerve issues. I seem that recall he said he still has numbness in his fingers for instance.

I'll be rooting for him and I hope you are right.

GO BILLS!!!

if i recall he commented he hasnt had feeling in his fingers in years.

we will see. it could be he didnt heal up right. couldve been a bad day. its tricky to string last years run into sunday. might be a trend, and makes sense if it is.... but he could get hot in a week.

He had numbness in his fingers when he set new NFL single season records for passing TDs and YDS two seasons ago as well.

I think he is undoubtedly going to be less dangerous than he was, but if Denver can figure out how to get an OL that can block he might just get one more crack at a ring, albeit this time with defense and a running game leading the way.

What's funny is that you KNOW people will say "well, the team carried him" as if Brady didn't have a team and a coach around him too. If Seattle scores from the 1 yard line Brady is 3-3 in the big game. A DB intercepts a pass and somehow Brady becomes more clutch.

Sports....

if i recall he commented he hasnt had feeling in his fingers in years.

we will see. it could be he didnt heal up right. couldve been a bad day. its tricky to string last years run into sunday. might be a trend, and makes sense if it is.... but he could get hot in a week.

Again, I hope you and others are right. If anyone can do more with less arm strength, it's Manning. But he really looks like he is struggling out there. Hope he turns it around.

GO BILLS!!!

I read the Broncos forums quite a bit during the week and all they do is whine and complain about Manning and cry for Brock Osweiller.

IF the Bills don't go to the Super Bowl hopefully it's the Broncos who do and Manning retires with one more ring and those idiots can see what having Brock as their starting QB looks like. It's pathetic. They WON yesterday against a very good Ravens team.

One thing I DID like over there though. One poster said "imagine if we faced New England, Seattle, Arizona, or Buffalo with that offensive performance.."

People are taking notice!

Honestly I am worried now.

I am a HUGE Manning fan. Love the guy and everything he has done and stands for. In 2013 he set single season NFL records as a passer. In 2014 he was on a very good pace early on then it all fell apart seemingly overnight.

I was hoping it was an injury that healed up. However, I'm worried.

I will say this though: that Denver/Baltimore game was a defensive slug fest without a single TD on offense for either team. Flacco looked even worse than Manning, so it might be that the defenses were just THAT good. I've never seen Flacco unable to complete anything over 5 yards. His calling card has always been the deep pass and it was not there.

This KC game will be interesting. Arrowhead (where even Brady* looked like crap last season) is a tough place to play, and that Chiefs D is nasty. We'll see if Manning looks better.

Good point about the defense, I think we all need to see a larger sample size from Manning this season before we rush to judgements. Although we might have plenty of evidence to support his decline. You never know until you see him play enough. Last year was last year, this one might be different. As far as Flacco goes I don't attribute too much to Denver's defense, though they do have talent. I think this could be a brutal year for Flacco. Steve Smith ( in his final NFL season) Kamar Aiken, and Marlon Brown. I think that says it all. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The next scandalous revelation will be "Over-Inflate-Gate", with Manning adding air to balls so they will go farther and faster. Wasn't it both Manning and Brady that wanted QB's to have their own balls? Hmmm...

Helium. Is there any rule specifying what particular gaseous mixture with which the balls are inflated?

fifty Omaha said hut

losing feeling in my toes

nothing beats that new car smell

Chicken parm tastes so good

Peyton can't throw no more

"I love choking in big games"

Here's to him putting up another epic fail in his last-ever game this January at the Ralph. B-)