A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) Big time props to Preston Brown. Did you see that pass defense with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter? This from a player who is thought of as primarily a run defender. The Colts had to waste a timeout after the play. This matters, and count me in as a huge fan of this kid.

2) Big time shout out to our kickers and special teams. They made a difference in a huge way. Carpenter came through despite the concerns. Dontcha love it?!

3) I dedicate this post and this game to the Bills Fan who took his own life at RWS last night. I wish he could have seen this, and pray that he did.

4) Gilmore played the best game of his career imo. He was all over his man and was able to get his hand in numerous times. It was just freaking great to see.

5) The OL needs to improve. Glenn had 2 holds and I wanted to see bigger holes on running plays.

6) Let's focus on Tyrod for a moment. This kid, in his first NFL start, took over the game, and he did so against ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! He was poised, smart, and accurate. Call me insane, but I think that my favorite play was the one where he was calm enough to bat down the deflected pass. A mistake could have cost us a touchdown and yes, the game. Wait until he REALLY takes off and runs! His potential has few limits.

7) Goddamn, well I declare,

Have you seen the like?

Their walls are built of cannonballs,

their motto is Don't Tread on Me!!!!!!

Come... hear, Uncle John's Band,

by the riverside.

Got some things to talk about,

here, beside the rising tide.

8) Neither Corbin Bryant nor Kyle Williams showed up that much in the stats today. That said, they both did their jobs!!!!! Kyle provided pressure and looked fresh. Bryant moved well and was in on quite a few tackles. When Marcel comes back, this is going to be fun to watch!

9) Nickell Robey is a winner. Period.

10) Percy Harvin is a mismatch with two legs. If he can keep his head on straight, he can win us football games.

11) Sack totals notwithstanding, I am 100% thrilled that Rex blitzed all day. It took pressure off the secondary and enabled them to make plays.

12) Are we still worried about Darby? This was probably one of the best games ever played by a rookie corner in his first game in the post rule change era.

13) I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of Karlos Williams. We need someone to compliment McCoy with that downhill style.

14) I'm proud to be a member of this community. We truly do deserve days like this.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WECOME BACK dude.

Gilmore's film study showed up today - he was running the receivers' routes for them. He is well on his way to elite status EXCEPT for his stone hands...

Darby was fantastic too, as was Robey, and as was Butler who made a few critical plays to help cement the victory. Rex has the defense he wants.

Gilmore finally starting a season strong! Just wish he would catch the ball when it's right in his hands!

Loved Preston and Nigel out there today!

Was disappointed with the OL and their run blocking in particular, but yet it seemed like Karlos was able to find a hole and hit it just fine. Shady seemed indecisive, but another poster said the play was slow to develop and it wasn't his fault. Either way, the Patriots have a really bad run D and in think the line and Shady will bounce back.

13) I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of Karlos Williams. We need someone to compliment McCoy with that downhill style.

Thanks for the recap. I agree with more Karlos. I would actually love to see him and McCoy in the backfield together when we have a lead. Options up the middle to Karlos or to the outside with McCoy would be devastating.

Is there anybody besides me that feels we were getting hosed by BS Ref penalties in second half?? I am tired of these BS calls that always go against us.

And yet we overcame them! Plus, our DBs played the cleanest game I can recall in this flag-happy time.

I've been waiting for some Uncle John's Band from you, Bill. You've held it back for years. I think you picked the exact right time. I do think that we just saw the rising tide.

Also, totally agree that TT's best play was that volleyball spike of the batted pass. That guy just never loses his cool or his awareness. He always seems so calm and together. I'm sure he'll have some rough spots down the road. But he feels different than any QB we've had in a LONG time.

Is there anybody besides me that feels we were getting hosed by BS Ref penalties in second half?? I am tired of these BS calls that always go against us.

think the refs were bad this week, wait til next week vs the Pats*. The refs issue Brady and Belichek their own complimentary yellow flags

My main concern on the line was that Henderson got smoked on a couple of the runs for losses. Their left edge rusher seemed to get free a couple of times as well to apply pressure on pass plays. Thinking two weeks ahead to the edge rushers of the Dolphins that is a concern.

Edited by GunnerBill

It's amazing how well some of the rookies and two year players are contributing to this team, The credit should go to Whaley, but I'm sure he will tell you that is a team effort. #roguemyass

The way Preston stoped Gore in his tracks was amazing, Felton had some crushing blows as well.

It was great to see no holding penalties from a blocking TE.

I always thought Harvin as a skinny dude, physically he's similar as CJ Spiller. Great pass by TT and great diving catch for the TD.

The only penalty I really felt was completely out of line was the chop block. No excuse for that to be called. Otherwise, they were throwing flags left and right for both teams.

The only penalty I really felt was completely out of line was the chop block. No excuse for that to be called. Otherwise, they were throwing flags left and right for both teams.

I would like to see the play on the alledged facemask penatly by Hughes.

We ran much better left than to the right. Henderson and Miller were not good in the run game. Richie was solid

Pass protection was better than last year, but Tyrod helps with that too.

Gilmore, Darby, Butler, Robey were excellent

The penalties need to go away

Harvin and Clay are great adds

Our Linebackers are terrific

Edited by The Thurmanator

I was thrilled with K.W. carrying the football because he looks great but I don't know if it's wise to have him in the game on 3rd down passing situations. His inability to figure out his responsibility almost led to a game changing turnover and by far the worst offensive play of the game. That was the play I was thinking about all week when FJ was cut.

That would have been brutal.

We ran much better left than to the right. Henderson and Miller were not good in the run game. Richie was solid

Miller was fine. Henderson was terrible, especially in the first half.

I can't say that they were all BS penalties or that they always go against us.

In some circs, I do have a feeling sometimes the refs are under orders "if you can with a call, keep the game interesting, let 'em back in it" For example, we were clearly holding on McCoy's TD run that got called back. That said, watch the Pats OL sometimes - they hold all day. And I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel there wasn't some holding by Indy that wasn't called.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

do you mean the non flag on a punt play that was exactly like the flag of "running" into the kicker for Indy?

It wasn't. The Colts player was blocked into the punter, which makes a non call the correct call. The facemask on the fumble though, I didn't see anything that looked anything like a facemask.

Great job as always, Bill.

The tiny things are what I liked about Taylor. He didn't make any terrible mistakes. What impressed me was the two plays that could have been disasters. He dropped the snap. A guy who is panicking falls on the ball. Tyrod was unfazed and calmly just picked it up and ran. That may have been the most impressive thing outside of the bomb. The ball that got batted. He just waited and jumped and knocked it down. He is smart and unfazed under huge pressure. That's a tremendous quality.

Brown and Bradham are so good overall. Props to Rambo and even Duke for a couple plays.

Darby was excellent overall. That's a terrific first game. Gilmore was an advertised but he has to come down with the ball.

This was one of the best offensive teams in the entire league. It's not like Luck was off his game, he was actually pretty good. Rex and DT had a really good game plan.

Penalties obviously killed us the entire game. That needs to be cleaned up.

Gay Schmidt, along with Carpenter, were ridiculously good. Schmidt in particular.

I have been saying all along that there isnt anyone that can contain our skill guys. Harvin is too good to keep one guy on his. Clay was as advertised. Shady didn't have a great game but he did have a 20 yard TD called back. He's quick. Karlos looked terrific as a change of pace.

Roman is a total breath of fresh air outside of the first play. Of course, we would be saying how great it was if it worked but it didn't and was stupid. But he was unpredictable and he really helped Tyrod.

This is a scary team with decent QBing and Tyrord was better than decent.

I can't say that they were all BS penalties or that they always go against us.

In some circs, I do have a feeling sometimes the refs are under orders "if you can with a call, keep the game interesting, let 'em back in it" For example, we were clearly holding on McCoy's TD run that got called back. That said, watch the Pats OL sometimes - they hold all day. And I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel there wasn't some holding by Indy that wasn't called.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

The Colts player was pushed into the punter. The right call was made. The one on the Bills was bad though.

The non-call was because the defender was pushed into our kicker. IMO.

I was really upset during the game about Gilmore dropping that interception.....it just seems to me that elite players should make the obvious plays

that said.....he picked his play up in the game and had a lot of pbu's

And I totally agree on the bat down by TT to prevent the int

That's why NE is so damn dominant. They rarely make those kind of mistakes.

I've been waiting for some Uncle John's Band from you, Bill. You've held it back for years. I think you picked the exact right time. I do think that we just saw the rising tide.

Also, totally agree that TT's best play was that volleyball spike of the batted pass. That guy just never loses his cool or his awareness. He always seems so calm and together. I'm sure he'll have some rough spots down the road. But he feels different than any QB we've had in a LONG time.

Thanks LGOTB! I have been saving that particular lyric. I had it ready as of last night. Yes, I have issues. :)

I really hope that the Bills do not rest on their laurels and leave that to us, their loyal fanatical fans. They actually CAN improve and I hope they do, enough to smash Brady into defeat!!!!!

Jup, not just the second half, certainly felt we had some wierd calls going against us. Good thing Rex challenged that completion too. Punter getting brushed ever so lightly, call against us; way more dangerous play on our punter that should have been a penalty for sure, not called. There was more, but you know what they say about great teams? They can over come bad decisions like that, and that they certainly did.

It wasn't. The Colts player was blocked into the punter, which makes a non call the correct call. The facemask on the fumble though, I didn't see anything that looked anything like a facemask.

Anyone know the how many run and pass plays we had?

It looked like the Indy guy was blocked into Schmidt, which would mean no flag

I was commenting on what the guys in the booth said. similar infraction but I guess I didn't catch a proper explanation during the game.

I was commenting on what the guys in the booth said. similar infraction but I guess I didn't catch a proper explanation during the game.

Guys in the booth missed it...like they did most things in the game.

Agreed. That was a 40 yard call that simply can't happen in a game this important.

Did anyone actually see the facemask on the Colts' fumble play?

The call was complete bs, there wasn't an oline member near, that was a 100% clean block, announcers even said so. very bad call that one.