RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is BS....that is total friggen BS

I'm sorry you disagree. But backup QBs who've never been part of a Bills team that's gone to the post-season don't scream "Wall of Fame," to me.

I love Fred as much as everyone else. But come on.

I was thinking 3rd down situations from a pass catching standpoint, and in all honesty he is still probably the best on the team in that aspect. Best pass blocking back aside from Shady, and probably comparable.

Look back over the last five years, and the Bills have fielded some of the very worst offensive lines in the league. No RB on the Buffalo Bills was good in third and short over that time.

Yet Freddy almost always found a hole when Lynch & Spiller could not.

6 RB's still on the roster, and I see only one even close to as good as Fred. Sorry, still don't get it

Bryce Brown

Boobie Dixon

Bronson Hill

LeSean McCoy

Karlos Williams

Cierre Wood

Hill and Wood will play 60 minutes this Thursday night and then never be heard from again. The other four will be on the final 53 and one of them (Brown?) likely inactive on most gamedays unless somebody gets hurt.

Clearly?

Did you see Karlos in that 1st game? The kid runs possessed...I don't think it's clear at all...

The Bills are just loaded at RB and Freddie is the oldest...Can he still play? Absolutely...It's not like this was an easy decision for the Bills...But I doubt they thought Williams would look as good as he has...And Boobie is a ST's animal...Fred just got squeezed out...I hate it too...But I don't think it's going to make any difference on the field... B-)

Sure Williams has looked the deal. But he hasn't shown the other traits the Fred has. And Fred always makes a difference when on the field, don't you dare question that. I rather have one more year of Fred then 2 more years of Brown welll that trade certainly didn't work out let's just cut our losses.

I think that he is a WOF player. If Phil Hansen is up there, Fred Jackson will be.

i think hes exactly the type of guy that should be celebrated on the wall, personally. the type that arent going to get the national accolades of the HOF, but are all time great bills are my favorite to see there.

Fred can't play anymore. Any random RB off the street can perform better than him.

I know most of you can't admit this to yourselves because you are too emotional and/or you aren't capable of evaluating football talent - but it's obvious.

Wish him the best, though.

This is just as much crap as the people who insist he's still the #2 back on this team despite the obvious fact that he's been cut because the coaches don't see it that way.

No, "any random RB off the street" can't outperform Fred. However, given a hard choice between keeping a fast, talented young player and a talented player at the end of his career, if you're building for the long term success of the team, the decision is obvious.

And this is how you tell who is a Bills' fan versus who is not.

Thurman Thomas - released at 34 and signed with Miami

Emmitt Smith - released at 34 and signed with Arizona

Guys get released when they get old. It happens.

Let's remember that Fred was an undrafted FA that worked his way from the world league to the practice squad, then onto a roster where he was productive for 10 years. Good for him.

Let's also remember that he was never more than a solid, productive guy. We did not just release a HOFer. This move will very likely not mean the difference between the playoffs and not making them.

Mostly, if this move makes you cheer for NE over the Bills, then go do it even if Fred doesn't sign there, because you aren't a Bills' fan. Yes, I mean it.

They went on to start for other teams. No one is saying that Fred is the starter but he can be a solid contributor and would hardly be the reason the Bill's lose a game.

If another team picks him up and he plays a good role there is no reason he couldn't do that on this team for another season.

So I get why they released him, but I can't see why they kept him around in the offseason when they were thinking about releasing him. Oh wait... Any chance they wanted to wait to drop him until AFTER they hit the season ticket record???

How about after they got a chance to see if he could still run and not get hurt and see the other players they may keep if they don't keep him?

I was thinking 3rd down situations from a pass catching standpoint, and in all honesty he is still probably the best on the team in that aspect. Best pass blocking back aside from Shady, and probably comparable.

Look back over the last five years, and the Bills have fielded some of the very worst offensive lines in the league. No RB on the Buffalo Bills was good in third and short over that time.

Yet Freddy almost always found a hole when Lynch & Spiller could not.

6 RB's still on the roster, and I see only one even close to as good as Fred. Sorry, still don't get it

Bryce Brown

Boobie Dixon

Bronson Hill

LeSean McCoy

Karlos Williams

Cierre Wood

Best 53 man roster my A$$.

Why does everyone automatically assume this was an ugly divorce and Fred will want to "stick it" to the Bills? If he was treated with respect and given a fair opportunity throughout TC (despite getting injured -- again) why would he want to share secrets or harbor ill will?

(I posted this in the other thread too.)

I just did a little work on Fred vs. the Pats. In his 14 games against them, he has been quite productive:

177 carries for 785 yards (4.43 ypc)

41 catches for 433 yards (10.56 ypc)

5 TDs

Over a 16 game season, that translates into 897 rushing yards and 47 catches for 495 yards - 87 ypg (and 6 TDs).

If you take away his 2007 season, in which had only 11 touches in two games, his yards per reception in the subsequent 12 games goes up to 11.16 (extraordinarily high for a RB), and his prorated rushing/receiving yards go up to 1008/551 over a 16 game season (97.4 yards from scrimmage per game).

I'm guessing Belichick is aware of how well Fred has played against him. That said, he's not a sentimentalist.

And this is how you tell who is a Bills' fan versus who is not.

Thurman Thomas - released at 34 and signed with Miami

Emmitt Smith - released at 34 and signed with Arizona

Guys get released when they get old. It happens.

Let's remember that Fred was an undrafted FA that worked his way from the world league to the practice squad, then onto a roster where he was productive for 10 years. Good for him.

Let's also remember that he was never more than a solid, productive guy. We did not just release a HOFer. This move will very likely not mean the difference between the playoffs and not making them.

Mostly, if this move makes you cheer for NE over the Bills, then go do it even if Fred doesn't sign there, because you aren't a Bills' fan. Yes, I mean it.

I cheered for Frank Reich with Carolina. If that makes me not a Bills fan, so be it. It wasn't Fred's time yet. Certainly not before Bryce Brown.

A team with a 15-year playoff drought can't get caught up in keeping "emotional leaders" on the roster when they're trying to build a winning football team.

How many snaps per game was Fred going to see, presuming Shady and Karlos are healthy? No special teams.

I really, truly get it that fans are upset -- Freddy is an all-time Bill. But some perspective, please.

This move has nothing to do with Bryce Brown and/or Whaley's ego.

Agreed. This move has more to do with Karlos than anything. Once they drafted him, I think Fred's fate was sealed

I cheered for Frank Reich with Carolina. If that makes me not a Bills fan, so be it. It wasn't Fred's time yet. Certainly not before Bryce Brown.

You wanted Frank Reich to beat the Bills?

Then yes, you are not a Bills' fan in my book. You are a guy that likes the team, but cheers for certain players to do well more than the team.

Football fan yes, Bills' fan no.

I just did a little work on Fred vs. the Pats. In his 14 games against them, he has been quite productive:

5 TDs

Over a 16 game season, that translates into 897 rushing yards and 47 catches for 495 yards - 87 ypg (and 6 TDs).

If you take away his 2007 season, in which had only 11 touches in two games, his yards per reception in the subsequent 12 games goes up to 11.16 (extraordinarily high for a RB), and his prorated rushing/receiving yards go up to 1008/551 over a 16 game season (97.4 yards from scrimmage per game).

I'm guessing Belichick is aware of how well Fred has played against him. That said, he's not a sentimentalist.

likewise one might say rex is very familiar with freds ability.

This is so dumb and shows no loyalty or respect. Brown sucks cut him. I have loved Whaley but this move is downright awful. Fred deserves his chance to be a part of this year and this is as bad as not starting Flutie in the playoffs. I hope this doesn't envoke the curse of Freddie😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Best wishes Fred! Fred was a high character guy who had the respect of his teammates. With all the questionable character guys that have been brought in this offseason, I'm hoping Fred not being there as a mentor doesn't have too much of a negative effect.

How about after they got a chance to see if he could still run and not get hurt and see the other players they may keep if they don't keep him?

No, I'm pretty sure it was all about keeping Freddy to until we reached the 60k plateau in season ticket sales.

GO BILLS!!!

It's all about the $$$$$ - nothing more - nothing less. This fees up 2.7 million. That simple. I hope Shady stays healthy all year long.

thats a big part -- if we make this move, and maybe dixon and cassel, thats like 10m worth of cap space that can go towards retaining an all pro starter. i dont think its like years passed where we wouldve just pocketed it. this will go towards making our roster better long term.

5 TDs

Don't know how much you follow the Sabres but we have a defenseman Josh Gorges who is a tough veteran player in his twilight but still good. He was on the Canadiens and they wanted to trade him to the Leafs and he just flat refused to go. He told the Leafs I have hated you my entire career. I just don't think I could play for you and give you 100%. Then he accepted a trade to the Sabres.

That is what Fred should do. ;)

Sure Williams has looked the deal. But he hasn't shown the other traits the Fred has. And Fred always makes a difference when on the field, don't you dare question that. I rather have one more year of Fred then 2 more years of Brown welll that trade certainly didn't work out let's just cut our losses.

Brown is only 24. It'd be more like 5 or 6 years of Brown.

Everyone not currently curled into a corner of the couch weeping and draped in a Fred Jackson jersey (for example, professional football coaches) has seen the deterioration of Fred's most vital asset -- his legs -- over the past couple of seasons.

As much as I love Fred I'm actually surprised this news doesn't bother me more. I think I saw it coming for a while.

!@#$ you Whaley, and !@#$ you Ryan. You just released your number 2 back for a fumbler and an unproven rookie with questionable (to be charitable) character. Can't wait to see Fred in a Cheats jersey, leading them to victory at the Ralph with Janeane at the helm.

All the best to you Fred Jackson. Sucks that now you'll be delivering for someone else. You will never be forgotten in Buffalo. See you at your WOF ceremony.

Well, Then.

I guess that answers the question "are you a Bills Fan or a FredEx fan?"

Bryce Brown last 3 years: 5 fumbles in 226 attempts, .022 fumbles/attempt. Fred Jackson last 3 years: 13 fumbles in 462 attempts, .028 fumbles/attempt. But let's not confuse things with facts.

We can agree on "All the Best to you Fred Jackson..."