EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

3rd preseason game is usually the one that the starter plays the most. Not sure what to make of that in the wide open competition, but if Ryan/Roman were already set on TT I don't think they would do something like this for "appearances".

So my read on this is that EJ has as much a chance as anybody, and if he excels he will be the starter, and if he stumbles TT will be the starter. It sure seems like he is being given a chance to win it right here based on one strong showing, and if so that means that currently the race is too close to call.

I just don't see how if they think TT is the guy, then they wouldn't have him start this one and get his reps.

I think it's more likely EJ shows indecisiveness and lack of accuracy. Tyrod probably comes in and runs wild, while Cassel does his best Trent Edwards impersonation with short safe throws.

That said, Tyrod probably has done enough to win the job, I don't see that changing.

If he had done enough to win it already, why on earth wouldn't he start this game, like every NFL team starts and plays their #1 QB in preseason #3? He might be in the lead still, but if so, I think Rex thinks it is close enough that a great EJ performance would be enough to vault EJ.

Missing some of the guys, but I think having Fred instead of Shady will likely help more than hurt, as he is the better pass blocker and with the 1s out there on the OL should give EJ the opportunity to show he has it or show us he doesn't.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know that he isn't far and away #3 (which we don't know) and this is not a conspiracy (which we don't know). We have no idea what this all means. I think that this PROBABLY shows that the distance between the QB's is at least pretty close. I still do not think that this will catapult EJ to starting vs. Indy but he has improved enough to warrant a look behind the first team OL.

I think that the best it can do is move him to #2 for the season

ill say i worded it poorly and left it an easy reply to a different question than i meant, to a degree. if its a two man race between TT and MC they prep for exploiting a few short comings either has in the advanced passing game and rushing ability.

now introduce EJ into their prep and its some running that theyd be doing for TT anyway, and finding some weaknesses to exploit. i guess you could argue that rex is doing this as a smokescreen to force the colts to prep for bad deep balls when the qb scrambles, but..... it seems like getting the real guy more reps would be a helluva lot more valuable than the few specific things theyd be brushing up on by bringing EJ in as a false narrative here.

I think Rex is doing it for five separate, pretty good, diverse reasons only one of which is that it forces the Colts to do a little more wasted practice on stuff they won't likely have to face.

We know that he isn't far and away #3 (which we don't know) and this is not a conspiracy (which we don't know). We have no idea what this all means. I think that this PROBABLY shows that the distance between the QB's is at least pretty close. I still do not think that this will catapult EJ to starting vs. Indy but he has improved enough to warrant a look behind the first team OL.

Last night on local NBC news (where Joe B works, btw), Adam Benigni listed the "Chances of Starting" as:

Cassel 50%

TT 43%

EJ 7%

These guys have no idea what theyre talking about. Even if you want to put EJ 3rd, which he probably is, make it a reasonable 50/30/20. Now they just look like idiots.

Edited by DrDareustein

It will be interesting of we go into this season with

TT - Starter

EJ Manuel - backup

I am starting to warm up to that actually

That's the way I thought this would go anyway...

I just think EJ will continue to improve under Roman, and if the Bills really do run the ball like they want to run the ball EJ would likely get in there by mid-season...Then I would expect him to be the starter from there on because his skill set and ability to make every throw makes him potentially dynamic on a top rushing offense...

That is assuming TT does not light it up like the next Russell Wilson..Either way...Win/Win... B-)

Excellent point.

Any chance it will help with the fans bitching or taking sides once the big decision is made?

My biggest fear is that we have this QB debate ALL season long. No matter who starts.

The only way I see the fans not bitching about their particular favorite not being the starter is if 2 of the 3 really stink it up against Pittsburgh ( which is unlikely)

Who knows? I guess that is the point. We have no idea what this all means.

Put it this way, do you genuinely believe that Rex would waste the first two three drives with the starting offense with someone he thinks had little to no chance of starting? It's possible but I really don't believe he would do that, especially because the other two guys haven't separated themselves and the team is learning a whole new complicated offense.

Agreed...I think this is Rex and Roman acknowledging that EJ has improved and fully understanding he has arm ability the other two do not...So this is their way of saying...OK kid...Go out there and win the job...And if not they know they are AOK with TT...Or even Cassel...Though admittedly I'm not a big Cassel guy... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I think the only odd part this week is the break down with the starters. It sure didn't seem like they were prepping EJ to start this week. Cassel still got the majority of the reps, followed closely by Taylor and then EJ got some with the 1s but very few and none at times.

I suppose it doesn't matter because the starters aren't really the starters, except the OL. All the skills positions will be 2nd or 3rd team.

Put it this way, do you genuinely believe that Rex would waste the first two three drives with the starting offense with someone he thinks had little to no chance of starting? It's possible but I really don't believe he would do that, especially because the other two guys haven't separated themselves and the team is learning a whole new complicated offense.

Exactly. Idk how anyone can think EJ doesn't have a legit chance to win the job. Rex would be allowing for a potential full blown QB controversy for no reason then.

Agreed...I think this is Rex and Roman acknowledging that EJ has improved and full understanding he has arm ability the other two do not...So this is there way of saying...OK kid...Go out there and win the job...And if not they know they are AOK with TT...Or even Cassel...Though admittedly I'm not a big Cassel guy... B-)

That's the best part about this. EJ either takes this thing by the horns earns the starting job, or doesn't and there's no one to blame but EJ for not taking advantage of another big opportunity.

Here's to hoping TT plays great as well! :beer:

Exactly. Idk how anyone can think EJ doesn't have a legit chance to win the job. Rex would be allowing for a potential full blown QB controversy for no reason then.

If EJ plays like he did in the 1st two preseason games, he'll have every chance to run out of the tunnel at the Ralph on week 1 as the starting QB vs. the Colts.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Let's also not forget, that as the scout team QB in recent weeks, EJ has been looking good against the 1's on D. I'm sure that's not lost on the coaches.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

That's the best part about this. EJ either takes this thing by the horns earns the starting job, or doesn't and there's no one to blame but EJ for not taking advantage of another big opportunity.

Here's to hoping TT plays great as well! :beer:

Exactly. Everyone in the locker room needs to know that the starting position was earned. After Saturday it'd be hard to argue that EJ or Tyrod didn't earn it considering where they started image-wise.

ill say i worded it poorly and left it an easy reply to a different question than i meant, to a degree. if its a two man race between TT and MC they prep for exploiting a few short comings either has in the advanced passing game and rushing ability.

now introduce EJ into their prep and its some running that theyd be doing for TT anyway, and finding some weaknesses to exploit. i guess you could argue that rex is doing this as a smokescreen to force the colts to prep for bad deep balls when the qb scrambles, but..... it seems like getting the real guy more reps would be a helluva lot more valuable than the few specific things theyd be brushing up on by bringing EJ in as a false narrative here.

Yeah, this smokescreen for Indy stuff is ridiculous.

FWIW:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/27/ej-manuel-to-start-bills-next-preseason-game/

"Ryan said, however, that all three quarterbacks will get some time with the first-string offense on Saturday. So Manuel’s time with the starters may be brief."

This quote is a little misleading. The part of the quote that is NOT from Rex is that EJ's time with the starters may be brief. That was PFT's suggestion, not Rex's.

If EJ plays like he did in the 1st two preseason games, he'll have every chance to run out of the tunnel at the Ralph on week 1 as the starting QB vs. the Colts.

I agree. I just don't know how anyone thinks this is for appearances or to be fair or something. If EJ truly had no chance, Rex wouldn't risk him lighting it up and creating a controversy. It's that simple.

Exactly. Everyone in the locker room needs to know that the starting position was earned. After Saturday it'd be hard to argue that EJ or Tyrod didn't earn it considering where they started image-wise.

Exactly. Both guys are easy to root for as they are both good guys who work extremely hard.

This quote is a little misleading. The part of the quote that is NOT from Rex is that EJ's time with the starters may be brief. That was PFT's suggestion, not Rex's.

Why did they put that in quotes then? If it's the writer of the article speaking, it makes no sense to do that. Bad journalism.

Does Rex love drama? This has been the craziest position competition I have ever seen. I guess that when it's your QB as opposed to a safety or a WR, it becomes amplified x1000, but I would have hoped for some more certainty by this point. I'm in the ABC camp and, admittedly, can't help but cheer for EJ, but also am not oblivious to the fact that Taylor has been very impressive in the first two preseason games.

I have no idea. I don't think that they are looking at any of the guys as wasting drives. All 3 are viable NFL players. If they are all going to play with the 1st team do you think that Rex cares that much about the order?

My guess is that the competition is closer than most think. I still believe that Rex wants Tyrod and Roman Cassel based on the report. I don't think that EJ is going to be cut or anything and has a chance to start games this year for sure.

I have no idea. I don't think that they are looking at any of the guys as wasting drives. All 3 are viable NFL players. If they are all going to play with the 1st team do you think that Rex cares that much about the order?

My guess is that the competition is closer than most think. I still believe that Rex wants Tyrod and Roman Cassel based on the report. I don't think that EJ is going to be cut or anything and has a chance to start games this year for sure.

It was ONE report with no real credibility. The guy may have a good reporting background/record, but still, this is rumor at best.

All 3 will get time with the ones is a loaded statement. All of our play makers with the exception of Clay are out. In the 3rd game the OL plays well into the 3rd qtr or so. The key is seeing EJ against Pits #1s. This is a glaring indictment of what the coaches think. Believe what you want but there are no "smoke screens" or conspiracies. As an FSU fan I am rooting for the kid, I knew his issues in college but some guys need more time to figure it out. Errant throws in practice are what they are, they all have them. If this board judged Peyton out after his first year stats, we would all say bust. I know, EJ is no Peyton, but with the right CONSISTENT COACHING he can be Big Ben or a version of him.

I think...

* The pundits and posters who declared this a two horse race weeks ago were clearly wrong. EJ's clearly still in the running. Rex wouldn't waste valuable first team reps on a third stringer, regardless of some of the wacky theories being proposed.

* However this is spun later on, the coaching staff still doesn't have a consensus, clear-cut winner. Whoever wins this race, wins in a photo finish.

* I think the idea that Whaley (EJ), Rex (TT) and Roman (MC) all had predetermined winners is also wrong. I think they've all watched the QB battle very closely - and with open minds - to see who emerges victorious.

* I'm personally glad Rex has been thorough with this process. Each of the three has had an opportunity to work with the ones.

* As a fan without the ability to watch practice reps, the race is too close to call. I wouldn't be surprised to see MC, TT or EJ line up under center against Indy.