EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

whats the curveball?

honestly, what do you prepare for if EJ starts instead of the other two? the hope with him would be that hes the balanced/complete version of the other two, right?

I just think Rex is putting a lot of stock (too much stock) into the advantage of keeping the week 1 starter a secret.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I love what EJ brings to the table is that he throws a beautiful deep ball. That is what this team needs! Everyone knows we are going to run the ball, and stopping the run will be the opposing teams priority. With the speed and playmaking of Sammy, Woods, Harvin, Clay, Goodwin, Deonte- we need a QB that can take the top off, and make teams respect the big play. Which in turn, opens up the running game. Power football, with big shots taken repeatedly suits this offense.

We need more then just good deep balls.......we need throws thrown with anticipation and a qb willing to scramble for a first down when needed

That first year.....I thought that was EJ (before the coaches messed him up)

but

I just have this feeling I KNOW this is Tyrod Taylor

I really wonder if this might end up pushing Cassell to 3rd strong QB when this is all said and done.

@ChrisTrapasso: General narrative going into #Bills camp was: EJ=horrible, Cassel=experienced but ehh vet. Tyrod=super fun, exciting, never got a chance.

@ChrisTrapasso: To combat that, I really tried to go in w/o preconceived notions about any of the QBs. (Bet others did too) Just IMO...battle was very close

Edited by YoloinOhio

That's the right way to look at it IMO.

and if so, starting EJ is no good as a curveball or smokescreen. youd still have to prep for the exact same stuff as if it was just between cassell and TT. if it were down to those two, you could something like TT is a smokescreen to make them prep for the read option, and they dont plan to use it with cassell, but EJ doesnt make sense as a smokescreen. the game prep wouldnt change.

We need more then just good deep balls.......we need throws thrown with anticipation and a qb willing to scramble for a first down when needed

That first year.....I thought that was EJ (before the coaches messed him up)

but

I just have this feeling I KNOW this is Tyrod Taylor

I really wonder if this might end up pushing Cassell to 3rd strong QB when this is all said and done.

Best case scenario, regardless of who ends up starting.

I think Tyrod has already earned this job and we should be focusing on preparing him to start the season. More reps as the starter the better.

I don't think this is a good way to handle the QB competition.

Unless you have inside information, you should probably reconsider. It's close IMO and it'll be settled this weekend. Hopefully the guy who starts week 1 plays well enough and stays healthy in order to keep the job all season.

Indy will have plenty of time to prepare...and if you are a D Coordinator, are you really scared of the Bills QBs?

It's not about being scared. It's about having to prepare. If you weren't sure if the Browns were gonna start mccown or Manziel, you may not be scared but you're still gonna have to prepare for both.

good job by coaches to give him a shot with the first team, and good job on EJ's part to warrant the look.

Exactly. I also love that the tea leaf readers have to eat some crow. Rex told them EJ was still in it. They didn't listen. I think Tyrod is our guy, ultimately, but the EJ coverage was over the top.

giphy.gif

Great move by Rex ..

1 - I think the notion of preseason game 3 being your "dress rehearsal" for the regular season is ridiculous. I highly doubt Greg Roman and company are going to show their cards and I highly doubt they have game planned for Pittsburgh. How much value would there be for the "real starter" to play a whole half with the ones when you're just running a vanilla offense that has very little resemblance to what our offense will really look like in Week 1 against the Colts. In that context.. why not give all 3 guys time with the 1's and 2's.

2 -This indicates to me that Rex knows the pulse of the locker room and he knows that whoever wins the QB job needs to have the appearance of winning it fair and square so there can be no bitching or side taking once the big decision is made.

3 - EJ has not looked as smooth as Taylor or Cassel in the first 2 preseason games.. however.. he found a way to make plays and keep himself in the conversation and merit another look from the coaching staff. I think we all would agree that neither Taylor or Cassel were dominant in their performances.

4 - I am not reading to much into EJ starting this game making him the front runner. For him to seriously make the coaches think of him as the # 1 he will need to:

- show good footwork on his drops and get the ball out on time ( .. ie.. get rid of that hitch he has)

- use his legs a few times and show he can not be awkward

- greatly improve his accuracy

- don't fumble...

That is a tall task for probably only getting one or two series.. but hey.. if he can't pull it off at least he can say he got a fair shot.

Playing games with Indy when you need to get a QB ready would be stupid. I really don't think that is a factor at this point, I doubt the Bills would be able to keep it secret, and considering how many games are played with both teams knowing who the QB will be, it seems like people way overthink that aspect.

I think the Bills are trying to figure out what they have in each guy, and that's it.

@ChrisTrapasso: General narrative going into #Bills camp was: EJ=horrible, Cassel=experienced but ehh vet. Tyrod=super fun, exciting, never got a chance.

Someone ask these guys where they got their info, because it seems like they all got it from themselves and now are shocked that the info they pulled out of their ass is wrong.

their DC should be scared of any QB since they can't tackle or get any pressure.

It's not about being scared. It's about having to prepare. If you weren't sure if the Browns were gonna start mccown or Manziel, you may not be scared but you're still gonna have to prepare for both.

that's not hard to do

and if so, starting EJ is no good as a curveball or smokescreen. youd still have to prep for the exact same stuff as if it was just between cassell and TT. if it were down to those two, you could something like TT is a smokescreen to make them prep for the read option, and they dont plan to use it with cassell, but EJ doesnt make sense as a smokescreen. the game prep wouldnt change.

Somewhat true. But Roman clearly calls different plays for the three different guys depending on what they do well. So if EJ does pretty good in the Steelers game, the Colts will have to prepare for all three rather than just two. EJ plays a lot different game than TT I think.