EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

There are a lot of posters who are convinced that EJ has no chance of winning the starting job. And they're coming up with a number of unlikely explanations for EJ starting tomorrow.

This is the one explanation I've read that actually makes sense. It' may not be true, but at least there's some logic to it.

I personally think EJ still has a shot, albeit probably a long one. I think at least one of the more prominent coaches wanted to see what EJ can do with the ones. And Rex acquiesced.

Or Whaley?

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It should be noted that it took 2-3 days after the Browns game that they announce Manuel as the starter, whereas Rex immediately announced Taylor as the starter after the Panthers game.

There was clearly some discussion about it.

Or Whaley?

As musichunch observes, Rex's delay in making the decision to start EJ seem like there was probably some talk going on at OBD.

There's no agreement about the QB position here at TBD and it wouldn't be surprising if Whaley and the offensive coaches haven't reached a consensus yet either.

The final decision is Rex's but I'm sure he's listening to other opinions - especially Greg Roman's.

Someone - and maybe more than one - obviously wants to see EJ with the starters. As trade bait? It's possible, but I suspect there's at least one guy with clout on the Bills staff who still thinks EJ might make the best starter. Maybe Whaley, as eball suggested. Maybe Rex himself. Maybe someone else.

I'm guessing the fan base and local media will remain divided after the Steelers game - and probably the staff too.

I hope we can all forget our disagreements and rally behind whoever Rex lines up under center against Indy.

As musichunch observes, Rex's delay in making the decision to start EJ seem like there was probably some talk going on at OBD.

There's no agreement about the QB position here at TBD and it wouldn't be surprising if Whaley and the offensive coaches haven't reached a consensus yet either.

The final decision is Rex's but I'm sure he's listening to other opinions - especially Greg Roman's.

Someone - and maybe more than one - obviously wants to see EJ with the starters. As trade bait? It's possible, but I suspect there's at least one guy with clout on the Bills staff who still thinks EJ might make the best starter. Maybe Whaley, as eball suggested. Maybe Rex himself. Maybe someone else.

I'm guessing the fan base and local media will remain divided after the Steelers game - and probably the staff too.

I hope we can all forget our disagreements and rally behind whoever Rex lines up under center against Indy.

Rex just came off a Jets situation where he wasn't in charge of decision making. This decision was Rex's (of course with input from Roman). I think too many media types and some fans downplayed what EJ did in the 2 preseason games which are the most real "game like" situations in all of training camp. What happens in preseason games sometimes does actually matter.

IMO Rex very much liked what he saw enough in those 2 preseason games that he felt EJ deserved the start. I believe that Rex is settled on either Cassel or Taylor, but he wants to have a very confident, comfortable and "ready to turn to" EJ Manuel during the season. EJ looks to be getting there but there is no reason to force the issue right now. This is what I think Rex is thinking. I still hope that Manuel looks great out there tonight and he ends up being picked as the starter, but if they go with Taylor then I'm good with that too. Having EJ come off the bench and start winning games would be a nice bookend to his development curve. We are all hoping that either Taylor or Manuel turns out to be our franchise QB by the end of the season. IMO Cassel is not long for the job if he is the starter beginning the season. It sounds safe until he starts throwing interceptions because of his weak arm.

Edited by 1billsfan

Yeah, Rex had Geno forced on him by his GM in NY. Probably doesn't want to repeat that situation here. I wouldn't be surprised if they spoke about it, at length in the interview process

True...

That's why that report about Rex wondering if the Jets would be willing to trade Geno made absolutely no sense to me...

That being said I think EJ is the polar opposite of Geno in many ways...The thing about EJ is...the same way many fans like me can't help themselves, they have to pull for the guy...I think the same goes for his teammates and coaches...Excluding Marrone of course who was a bitter, terrible, human...EJ works real hard and does everything asked of him plus some...And EJ has all of Geno's raw talent too...I imagine, no matter what Rex may or may not have thought about EJ going in, he's come away at least mildly impressed with his overall upside...And maybe he sees the future at QB in Buffalo a little better than he did going in...EJ's still only 25...He's still almost 6-5...He still has a great arm...He's working tirelessly to get better...He's a great teammate...I just think he's got so much more to work with than Geno...And Geno is a headcase... B-)

Doesn't this sort on contradict the message from your contact? If the decision is already made and starting EJ is just to mess with Indy and try to drum up trades, doesn't that show that he doesn't have a fair shot at the job even though he's performed equally as well in preseason games as the others?

More intrigue.

Except he hasn't preformed nearly as well as Tyrod, who has been almost flawless. EJ, while showing significant improvement, has had his classic misfires and a fumble he got lucky his teammate recovered.

Tyrod has won this job because he's been the best QB through the preseason.

Why dont you ask the posters calling other "EJ Lovers" "EJ Supporters" etc? Since they obviously DONT support him.

"EJ lovers" was a direct response to all the whiny fanboys that threw the term "hater" around anytime someone diverted from the EJ ballwashing narrative.

Too funny, EJ supporters acting giddy like little school girls. :lol:

"EJ lovers" was a direct response to all the whiny fanboys that threw the term "hater" around anytime someone diverted from the EJ ballwashing narrative.

No it wasnt. Not in this thread at least. The post quoted above was completely unprompted.

And EJ has not had his balls washed much at all around here or anywhere else over the last 2 years. Unless you want to consider some fans thinking he should at least get a chance with the 1s to show us what he's got (or doesnt got). I dont know how that could be considered an irrational stance. No one is calling him a clear cut starter, or saying he's a franchise QB. But apparently wanting all 3 QBs to get a shot in the preseason QB competition means we're EJ ballwahsers. Ok.

Except he hasn't preformed nearly as well as Tyrod, who has been almost flawless. EJ, while showing significant improvement, has had his classic misfires and a fumble he got lucky his teammate recovered.

Tyrod has won this job because he's been the best QB through the preseason.

This is probably close to splitting hairs, but I wouldnt say he hasnt performed "nearly" as well. He threw 5 clutch strikes, in a row, in crunch time to win the game.

The fumble was bad, but can be coached, and might not happen if he wasnt running for his life behind our 3rd OL.

I'd say both QBs are showing promise, and performing pretty well. Which is much better than the situation we thought we were in at the start of camp.