EJ Will Start Pittsburgh Game

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other guys have played well in preseason too. In fact, there is a big buzz around the league right now surrounding Taylor. No one is saying EJ sucks. I want him to make the team and wouldn't be shocked if he got to start a game this season. But if and when he is not named the starter, regardless of Saturday's outcome, you have to try and trust the front office on this one. There is no conspiracy against EJ Manuel, I can promise you.

So are you saying that Cassel is starting?

The other guys have played well in preseason too. In fact, there is a big buzz around the league right now surrounding Taylor. No one is saying EJ sucks. I want him to make the team and wouldn't be shocked if he got to start a game this season. But if and when he is not named the starter, regardless of Saturday's outcome, you have to try and trust the front office on this one. There is no conspiracy against EJ Manuel, I can promise you.

Doesn't this sort on contradict the message from your contact? If the decision is already made and starting EJ is just to mess with Indy and try to drum up trades, doesn't that show that he doesn't have a fair shot at the job even though he's performed equally as well in preseason games as the others?

More intrigue.

Most of us are not truly qualified to state with authority that this or that QB is "the one" and this or that QB is "the bum." We watch with the eyes of pretty knowlegeable fans but without the level of experience and insight that a real analyst of QBs has. I am in this group of the not-really-qualified myself which is why I am still ambivalent about which of the Bills QBs should be the starter. However, a few people who comment around here have shown a much better understanding of the nuances of the position and so it is to them that I ask this question:

In a straight-up comparison between the two, what are the differences that make Cassel supposedly a better choice than EJ, either as starter or first backup? To my eyes it appears that EJ is better or no worse than Cassel in every measurable category except NFL starting time. I am not saying that either one is great. In fact, they are both kind of "eh" at this time. What I am asking is what are the differences that would lead the coaches to choose Cassel over EJ if they're both relatively equal (not sure that they are, just assuming for the purpose of this question). It would seem to me if that's the case that you'd keep the younger with potentially a higher ceiling over the older guy whose plateau is well established.

I'm no expert. I've watched all of EJ's games (obviously), and as soon as they signed Cassel, I went back to watch a lot of his games.

I wouldn't give either guy a significant edge in passing talent. EJ throws a better long ball that has more velocity and looks to be on the right trajectory most of the time. Give him a clean pocket and he can drop it in the bucket. Matt Cassel, less so. That's arm strength and control. Cassel has better mechanics, which lends to better accuracy in the short to intermediate game. EJ's footwork is sloppy. Sometimes it'll look natural and other times it looks completely out-of-synch with his upper body. Sometimes he won't set his feet or opens up his hips too much, which completely throws off his follow-through and results in a ball in the dirt or over-thrown. Mechanics can be taught, and EJ works hard, which is why he is slowly coming along. Physical ability can't be taught, which is why Cassel is who he is, in my opinion.

The big difference is pre-snap execution and I'll recall one play from the Browns game where EJ confused the pass protection and read the defense wrong. It was in the 3rd quarter on a 3rd and 4, but the Bills are clearly passing, with Manuel in shotgun, RB to his right up at the line, 3 WRs out and TE Gray standing up a few steps away from the LT Kuoundjio. Every receiver will end up running routes 10 yards up the field except Goodwin, who slants inside from the far left.

Cleveland shows two blitzers up the middle, with the line spread wide and a safety showing blitz off the LE.

So, count the men. Cleveland shows 7 guys rushing and Buffalo only has 6 guys protecting. Manuel's pretty much !@#$ed, so it's imperative that he gets the ball out fast.

Manuel makes no adjustment, except to shift the RB to the right to block the safety. Kuoundjio sees the issue and looks back at EJ. I have know idea what EJ said, but Koundjio goes back into his stance. EJ hikes the ball, the rush comes. Kuoundjio blocks the RE, while the LG goes to block the ILB, and the DT flies up the middle untouched.

Not only did EJ screw up the protection, but he failed to hit Goodwin, who was clearly his hot read, in my opinion. The CBs are covering up, Gray is running straight up the seam and Goodwin is cutting in to what should be a wide open middle. He's EJ's only option to get the ball out fast. EJ should know before the snap that he's going to Goodwin. Or he could audible out of the play, which is what I think would've been the right choice, especially if EJ is confused by the coverage.

This is where I think Cassel gets the ball off while EJ doesn't and it's all because of the pre-snap read and protection shifts. Cassel can do it. EJ is still learning, I think. I think Tyrod's shown a good handle on this type of stuff, too.

That is why Cassel needs to be kept as at least a backup at this point.

I'm no expert. I've watched all of EJ's games (obviously), and as soon as they signed Cassel, I went back to watch a lot of his games.

I wouldn't give either guy a significant edge in passing talent. EJ throws a better long ball that has more velocity and looks to be on the right trajectory most of the time. Give him a clean pocket and he can drop it in the bucket. Matt Cassel, less so. That's arm strength and control. Cassel has better mechanics, which lends to better accuracy in the short to intermediate game. EJ's footwork is sloppy. Sometimes it'll look natural and other times it looks completely out-of-synch with his upper body. Sometimes he won't set his feet or opens up his hips too much, which completely throws off his follow-through and results in a ball in the dirt or over-thrown. Mechanics can be taught, and EJ works hard, which is why he is slowly coming along. Physical ability can't be taught, which is why Cassel is who he is, in my opinion.

The big difference is pre-snap execution and I'll recall one play from the Browns game where EJ confused the pass protection and read the defense wrong. It was in the 3rd quarter on a 3rd and 4, but the Bills are clearly passing, with Manuel in shotgun, RB to his right up at the line, 3 WRs out and TE Gray standing up a few steps away from the LT Kuoundjio. Every receiver will end up running routes 10 yards up the field except Goodwin, who slants inside from the far left.

Cleveland shows two blitzers up the middle, with the line spread wide and a safety showing blitz off the LE.

So, count the men. Cleveland shows 7 guys rushing and Buffalo only has 6 guys protecting. Manuel's pretty much !@#$ed, so it's imperative that he gets the ball out fast.

Manuel makes no adjustment, except to shift the RB to the right to block the safety. Kuoundjio sees the issue and looks back at EJ. I have know idea what EJ said, but Koundjio goes back into his stance. EJ hikes the ball, the rush comes. Kuoundjio blocks the RE, while the LG goes to block the ILB, and the DT flies up the middle untouched.

Not only did EJ screw up the protection, but he failed to hit Goodwin, who was clearly his hot read, in my opinion. The CBs are covering up, Gray is running straight up the seam and Goodwin is cutting in to what should be a wide open middle. He's EJ's only option to get the ball out fast. EJ should know before the snap that he's going to Goodwin. Or he could audible out of the play, which is what I think would've been the right choice, especially if EJ is confused by the coverage.

This is where I think Cassel gets the ball off while EJ doesn't and it's all because of the pre-snap read and protection shifts. Cassel can do it. EJ is still learning, I think. I think Tyrod's shown a good handle on this type of stuff, too.

Devil's advocate: Cassel has had 11 yrs experience so for him to pick those things up quicker than EJ is understandable. Once EJ has seen them a few times, I would expect him to get better at picking up on them. Experience is great, but the only way to get it is to play.

Devil's advocate: Cassel has had 11 yrs experience so for him to pick those things up quicker than EJ is understandable. Once EJ has seen them a few times, I would expect him to get better at picking up on them. Experience is great, but the only way to get it is to play.

Right. But he doesn't have the luxury of learning on the field anymore. He needs to do it now and win the competition.

I have no doubt that Metz has a credible source who gave him the information with good intentions but I don't believe the decision is set in stone already in One Bills Drive. There is probably an aknowledgement around the building that X is probably the guy and I believe based on other things I have been told from elsewhere that X is Matt Cassel I just do not believe that it is unchangeable no matter what. Look for who the second rotation through is tomorrow I think that will be significant but I they know 100% their guy then they would be using every opportunity now to get him ready.

I believe much more that they want tomorrow to confirm their thoughts. My position on EJ hasn't changed since the end of last week's game. He went from no shot to longshot. I still put his odds of starting at around 10%.

Doesn't this sort on contradict the message from your contact? If the decision is already made and starting EJ is just to mess with Indy and try to drum up trades, doesn't that show that he doesn't have a fair shot at the job even though he's performed equally as well in preseason games as the others?

More intrigue.

How has he not gotten a fair shot? 10 snaps in a preseason game is the difference maker?

I will lay dollars to donuts that the RB screwed the pooch on his blocking assignment.

And from your description of the alignments on the D side of the ball, it sounds like they were in cover-0, which is the easiest D for a QB to read. If EJ is having trouble recognizing basic coverages based on where the safeties are, he should just hang 'em up now.

GO BILLS!!!

I will lay dollars to donuts that the RB screwed the pooch on his blocking assignment.

And from your description of the alignments on the D side of the ball, it sounds like they were in cover-0, which is the easiest D for a QB to read. If EJ is having trouble recognizing basic coverages based on where the safeties are, he should just hang 'em up now.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't know that, but it's ultimately EJ's responsibility to get the protection lined up. He moved the RB outside and it left the two guys on the left side to block three men. If he reads the coverage right and recognizes that Goodwin is his man on a quick slant, then motion the RB left in order to block the extra man and give EJ a clear lane to throw.

Working with the 2nd string OL and a RB off the street will cause some confusion, naturally, but I think a better read and better communication from EJ would've made this a successful play.

Serious question. As a scout team QB what do you think EJ's instructions were? Make safe throws, throw the ball away, scramble for a first down when pressured? Or did the coacing staff want him to throw into tight spaces, challenge the defenders even in tight coverage and see who can battle for the ball? Is the latter likely to make EJ look good in practice 100% of the time?

Rex told the media more than once that he knew how the QB rotation appeared to them, but not to read too much into it. I wondered what that meant as it was rather enigmatic. Playing with overmatched offensive talent against the 1st team defense may have done both EJ and the D some good. Helped to speed up his decisions, get the ball out quicker and throw into small or nonexistent windows all the while letting defenders finish the plays by defending the ball. Maybe that's what was showing up on that last drive against the Browns.