Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

What if re-signing Dareus means you're going to part ways with Bradham? Or requires re-negotiating Mario's contract? Or hinders the re-signing of Gilmore?

I'm sure they've prioritized who and which positions mean the most based on a) who they already have b) Rex's/Roman's scheme needs and c) ability to replace the player based on position played.

They may "only" be apart 15M over the length of the deal, but that's money not going to someone.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McCoy's extension essesntially put him on an 8 yr, 113.8 mil deal, because he was already owed money and bonuses for the 2014 season which the 95.2 mil extension added money onto. That is a 14.225 AAV.

Dareus is set to make $8 mil this season. A 6 yr, 90 mil extension = 7 yrs, 98 mil. 14 AAV. They are close. If he wants Suh money, then I would guess the Bills will tag him after this year and then move on.

What if re-signing Dareus means you're going to part ways with Bradham? Or requires re-negotiating Mario's contract? Or hinders the re-signing of Gilmore?

I'm sure they've prioritized who and which positions mean the most based on a) who they already have b) Rex's/Roman's scheme needs and c) ability to replace the player based on position played.

They may "only" be apart 15M over the length of the deal, but that's money not going to someone.

Yep. Chances are.

The best we can hope for, and it's possible, is that Dareus pulls a Hughes. Remember Hughes said he never heard of a hometown discount a year before he signed and then gave us a big hometown discount. I'm pretty sure our other three can talk some sense into Dareus. I'm not worried by what Dareus says now.

We are going to let some good players go eventually.

Simple business posturing

Situations like these always remind me of how much I appreciate the players who respect the business process and don't take things personally.

Sure- you want to maximize your value, but at the same time, at least respect that they can't blow the whole cap on one guy and have tough decisions of their own to make. 90 mil is not a sign ur not wanted, just a starting point. Besides- I am just not sure what kind of player you'll have AFTER the deal is inked, he could very well play historically well with dollars on the line.

This pisses me off. I don't have a problem with what he said. What I'm upset about is the offer.

Suh set the standard in April. Dareus has been making a point to say he's the best DT in the league and his numbers make it hard to argue. And I knew when Suh signed his deal and Dareus said that - that it would take the same if not more.

So coming in at less would obviously feel like a slap in the face to him. So why even send it to him?

Yep. Chances are.

The best we can hope for, and it's possible, is that Dareus pulls a Hughes. Remember Hughes said he never heard of a hometown discount a year before he signed and then gave us a big hometown discount. I'm pretty sure our other three can talk some sense into Dareus. I'm not worried by what Dareus says now.

We are going to let some good players go eventually.

And this ratchets up the pressure to win now. Keeping the core of a good team together is expensive.

That is, unless you can mine talent to replace the talent which supports those core players.

This pisses me off. I don't have a problem with what he said. What I'm upset about is the offer.

Suh set the standard in April. Dareus has been making a point to say he's the best DT in the league and his numbers make it hard to argue. And I knew when Suh signed his deal and Dareus said that - that it would take the same if not more.

So coming in at less would obviously feel like a slap in the face to him. So why even send it to him?

Except

A. He's not as good as Suh.

B. Suh signed a UFA contract.

C. Dareus is at least 2, if not 3, seasons away from becoming a UFA.

If he wants to use the Suh contract as a barometer, then he will have to wait until after the 2017 season to try and get it.

Except

A. He's not as good as Suh.

B. Suh signed a UFA contract.

C. Dareus is at least 2, if not 3, seasons away from becoming a UFA.

If he wants to use the Suh contract as a barometer, then he will have to wait until after the 2017 season to try and get it.

A.) I disagree. He has more sacks than Suh has since Dareus' rookie gear of 2011. If he's not better - he's equivalent. And a year younger.

B.) How does that matter?

C.) .... what? That's simply incorrect. You do know he's on the last year of his deal right now, right?

Would it be better for us to tag him? The cap hit for d tackles this year was 11.6. Next year let's say its 12.5 so that becomes his cap hit...the year after he gets a 20 percent raise so 15 mil then a year later its 18 mil. He'd def not be happy but this is what happens if a deal does not get done.

A.) I disagree. He has more sacks than Suh has since Dareus' rookie gear of 2011. If he's not better - he's equivalent. And a year younger.

B.) How does that matter?

C.) .... what? That's simply incorrect. You do know he's on the last year of his deal right now, right?

Bills are prepared to pay him an average of around $14 million. They can franchise tag him the next two years and pay him roughly $10/11 mil the first year and $12/13 mil the next year. Granted that money is fully guaranteed, but I think if push came to shove, the Bills would simply tag him the next 2 years at under market value.

Mr. Dareus, meet Mr. Franchise Tag. Mr. Franchise Tag, meet Mr. Dareus.

I think that is going to be the way this may play out. I am in agreement with Dareus that 90M is a light offer when you compare it to Suh. 90/114 isn't even 80%. IMHO, he's at least 95% of Suh in terms of ability and potential. But - it's not a complete insult... This is a negotiation, we don't know where it started... He's trying to recoup his "lost" income for playing at 8M this year - you know that is playing into his decision. It just sucks. He may very well be worth more money that the Bills can afford to pay him because of the rest of the team around him can't be sacrificed. You can't sell the farm too much on 1 player, even without guaranteed contracts. Love the guy, hope they can come to terms. IF he plays another year like his potential, he's going to get paid by someone next season, just might not be in the Bills budget. I hate the Patriots model of not paying and letting talent walk, but that may be the best bet.

EDIT - by my 95% comment, I'm talking 95% of salary... e.g. 108+ instead of 90.

Edited by MTBill

Would it be better for us to tag him? The cap hit for d tackles this year was 11.6. Next year let's say its 12.5 so that becomes his cap hit...the year after he gets a 20 percent raise so 15 mil then a year later its 18 mil. He'd def not be happy but this is what happens if a deal does not get done.

Cap hit for DTs was under 10 mil this year.

Mr. Dareus, meet Mr. Franchise Tag. Mr. Franchise Tag, meet Mr. Dareus.

I think that is going to be the way this may play out. I am in agreement with Dareus that 90M is a light offer when you compare it to Suh. 90/114 isn't even 80%. IMHO, he's at least 95% of Suh in terms of ability and potential. But - it's not a complete insult... This is a negotiation, we don't know where it started... He's trying to recoup his "lost" income for playing at 8M this year - you know that is playing into his decision. It just sucks. He may very well be worth more money that the Bills can afford to pay him because of the rest of the team around him can't be sacrificed. You can't sell the farm too much on 1 player, even without guaranteed contracts. Love the guy, hope they can come to terms. IF he plays another year like his potential, he's going to get paid by someone next season, just might not be in the Bills budget. I hate the Patriots model of not paying and letting talent walk, but that may be the best bet.

The tag is a last result. We're still in August... lots of time to go before we're even close to having to use a tag on him. Dareus will sign, it'll be a monster deal, everyone will be happy.

Because they can franchise tag him next year and pay him about 12M and then again the year after that for about 14.5 and then again the year after that for 17.25. That's 3 years of time for less than Suh's AAV of 19M. That's how out of whack with reality Suh's contract is.

And doing it that way is totally risk free if Mr. Dareus decides to be an idiot again.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

if we are looking at 14m a year in an extension, we will be eating even bigger hits at some point.

If Dareus plays hardball he's our ticket to getting up top of the draft to get a QB

He's an awesome DT and he would fetch us top 1st rd pick in return and coupled with our 1st in 2016 we could be in a position to get a QB.

Love to keep him, however QB is more important IMO. We would be better off with a quality QB over a Probowl DT IMO

@viccarucci: Dareus is seeking more than the $90-plus million deal, #NFL source said.

Have we heard the famous quote from the player seeking a monster contract, "Hey man, I've got to feed my family"

$90 million dollars for playing a game? If you don't like it Marcell, try getting a real job!

Have we heard the famous quote from the player seeking a monster contract, "Hey man, I've got to feed my family"

$90 million dollars for playing a game? If you don't like it Marcell, try getting a real job!

What real job allows volatile 300 pound angry steroid crazed grown ass maniacs to physically beat the living schitt out of you every single chance they get? Edited by Kelly the Dog

@viccarucci

Marcell Dareus said the #Bills' offer says they "don't want me" & expects this to be his final season w the team. @TyDunne will have more.

Is this spinning the original quote a little, Vic?

That is one of the worst spins I've ever seen in the media, sports or not. Never had a problem with Vic, but no freaking where in the article or in the quotes did Marcell say he "expects this to be his final season." He shook his head when asked if he could deal with "unhappiness" about the potential for franchising, but Jesus that is terrible spin.

I'm confident Marcell will be signed, whether we have to overpay or not. With the Giants trying to pre-emptively badmouth Eli as "greedy" for something he never said (even though he has the leverage), I'm sure Marcell's agent told him to set the tone early with negotiations. Maybe he took it a little overboard.

He comes off not so great here. Just saying.not sure if his agent advised him to start talking or what but it's a bad look.

Then again it worked for Rivers to talk sh*t about his FO.

Bingo

Been in the league for ONLY 4 years, been in trouble twice off the field, and 90 mil is an insult? Say what you want in negotiations behind closed doors, but when you blurt out idiotic crap like this to the media, you will almost always come off looking bad.

PS I'm insulted when he shows up to camp looking like a fat slob who has an adversity to the weight room and a love for any and all food.

Been in the league for ONLY 4 years, been in trouble twice off the field, and 90 mil is an insult? Say what you want in negotiations behind closed doors, but when you blurt out idiotic crap like this to the media, you will almost always come off looking bad.

PS I'm insulted when he shows up to camp looking like a fat slob who has an adversity to the weight room and a love for any and all food.

lol