Ok, I give up -- EJ will be 3rd string or cut

eball

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he will get a chance with another team as a backup. Good luck EJ3.

He'll get a chance with someone else. I don't expect him to do much with it though.

I say that because EJ had every opportunity to run with the job here. Some believe Marrone and Hackett tarnished him. I don't buy that ... if you are good, you usually show improvement from mistakes and weaknesses over time.

EJ has been consistently inconsistent, dating back to FSU.

This offseason was his golden opportunity to take command of a talented team. And by most accounts, he is failing to earn the trust of this staff.

this is why I actually think they play him more, not less, in the preseason if they don't think he he still in the race to win the job ... 1) showcase him for potential trade and 2) if he gets hurt you can IR him. Don't want the other 2 getting hurt if you think they are your guys.

Note: I use the term "showcase" in the general sense and realize he may not look "good"

Good point...play him a bunch against the 2's and let him look good. Target a team with a QB injury and make the move.

I'll go on record.

EJ will make the team.

EJ will start this year for the Bills in at least one game.

Those are definitive to me. I still think EJ starts week 1.

No edits let's see how poor I am at projections....

I agree 100%. Everyone is resigned to the fact that EJ is out because he has been practicing with the 3rd team and Cassel and Tyrod are in because they have been with the 1's and 2's. How about consider that the complete opposite is true. They already know they are keeping EJ so are giving the other 2 players most of the quality reps to decide which among those 2 will be kept as well. That is my thinking. I guess we will see. My bet is he stays. And starts.

^ Correct.

^ Yep. Buddy couldn't get himself comfortable enough with Dalton, Kaepernick, Wilson, or Foles to take a shot on them earlier than their respective teams did, and it bit him in the rear.

I continue to believe this as well--$2.5M is a lot of cap space to eat just to cut the guy...maybe they can IR him with a stubbed toe or something?

Funny, three of those QBs were on playoff teams: 1 SuperBowl winner and several Bow/Conf. Champ games and multiple playoff appearances...

He'll get a chance with someone else. I don't expect him to do much with it though.

I say that because EJ had every opportunity to run with the job here. Some believe Marrone and Hackett tarnished him. I don't buy that ... if you are good, you usually show improvement from mistakes and weaknesses over time.

EJ has been consistently inconsistent, dating back to FSU.

This offseason was his golden opportunity to take command of a talented team. And by most accounts, he is failing to earn the trust of this staff.

i said as a "backup." I think he can be trusted to hold a clipboard and contribute to the film room and not fall on his face in garbage time of a game.

True. I'm just tired of fighting city hall on this issue -- apparently the entire NFL community has decided EJ isn't worth the effort, so it's time to move on.

I hear you...Believe me I do...

But after listening to Roman last night on Murph I would honestly be surprised if they cut EJ... I really would... B-)

I don't blame the Bills..... EJ really did looked the part of a NFL QB. Strong, Big, fast, good arm, smart, and mobile. You can be all of that and if you can not hit your targets... your useless to the team

He just could not put it all together. If he increased his accuracy by 10% he would be HOF worthy. But that is often the difference between HOF and a guy soon to be a high school football coach. Slim margins mean everything at the pro level. Like in baseball, if you can hit just one more pitch every 4th at bat your the greatest ever. Miss one hit every 6th at bat and you never see even AAA ball. Drop a extra couple of putts per round and your PGA.... miss those putts and no one has ever heard of you.

Edited by Iraq Vet

I agree 100%. Everyone is resigned to the fact that EJ is out because he has been practicing with the 3rd team and Cassel and Tyrod are in because they have been with the 1's and 2's. How about consider that the complete opposite is true. They already know they are keeping EJ so are giving the other 2 players most of the quality reps to decide which among those 2 will be kept as well. That is my thinking. I guess we will see. My bet is he stays. And starts.

The scenario you are proposing doesn't make much sense. There is only one month left to prepare for the regular season... So we get our starter ready to play and help him develop consistency with our receiving corps by putting him in with the 3s. Got it.

With the essence of the OP's opening statement, I would have to agree. I was one who wanted to hold out after year one, then hope he could put it together last year, and then finally hope he could come into camp and light it up, but alas the writing seems to be on the wall. I STILL hope I'm wrong, but I don't think that's the case. Also, while I believe that EJ certainly has issues with his mechanics and accuracy - which no doubt go hand in hand - I also believe some of the misfortune of being on a team where Kevin Kolb was the projected starter and then being mishandled by Marrone et. al., had as much to do with his QB failure as anything else. I like the kid a lot as a person, and there are moments of brilliance, but I think it's all over but the crying (for him and his staunch supporters). I think the BILLS roll with the lower risk options to manage the game and "hope" they can Draft their Franchise QB next year, which is currently projected to be a very good one for QBs.

this is why I actually think they play him more, not less, in the preseason if they don't think he he still in the race to win the job ... 1) showcase him for potential trade and 2) if he gets hurt you can IR him. Don't want the other 2 getting hurt if you think they are your guys.

Note: I use the term "showcase" in the general sense and realize he may not look "good"

I'd agree if we had a more established offense and not an all new coaching staff.

With the talent and goals this franchise has, can you really afford to give your fading project quarterback every last chance? Given the complex offense including needs at fullback and tight end and ground/pound approach can we afford to keep 3 QBs on the roster? I don't think so and barring an extreme tournaround or injuries, EJ will be cut IMO.

This was more Ol' Buddie's pick, his walk off shot on the way out. He basically stated the same leading up to the pick and the draft saying something like he wanted leave the Bills with their franchise QB before leaving or something like that. Bad, bad selection.

Hard not to like E.J. though.

So they missed on a 1st round QB pick? Go look at the success rate of even 1st round QBs - it isn't good. The Bills are not at all unique in having a busted 1st round QB.

There aren't many really good NFL QBs. When you don't have one, you have to take a shot.

The scenario you are proposing doesn't make much sense. There is only one month left to prepare for the regular season... So we get our starter ready to play and help him develop consistency with our receiving corps by putting him in with the 3s. Got it.

OR, the they are wanting to surprise the rest of the league for the 1st regular season game by putting Cassel and T.T. out there NOW and then, voila!!!

E.J. Manuel!!

You guys read into this stuff all wrong. A team that is not anouncing their starting quarterback till week 1 is not going to be so obvious as to let him start the first preseason game. There's 4 of these, and 4 more weeks of training camp. Everybody has gotten their run with the 1's. EJ has been playing with the 3's lately because that's how the order is with this offense.

He will be on the team, that's my honest belief. I think if Cassel is the starter it's too much of a liability to have an unproven back up as the sole back up as we saw with Jeff Tuel.

Don't look too far into who's starting nowadays. Rex made it clear that they were sharing reps, and I think who starts this game is just as important as who starts the last preseason game.

Let's watch their performances tonight. If EJ looks terrible with the 3's then there's reason to have concern with him. But if he tears it up which I fully expect him to (granted he gets o-line help), then we'll see a whole new rotation next week.

Sadly you are correct

I resign myself to the fact that apparently EJ is no good, never will be, and is on his way out of Buffalo. Good guy, bad QB.

Thanks, Buddy, for the draft pick on your way out.

Go Tyrod.

The draft class doesn't matter at all. Who cares how good the other guys are, all the matters is how good the guy you drafted is.

Yes and no, IMO. Certain years are better than others.

The QBs in Manuel's draft class were a bunch of midgets, so picking one vertically challenged guy hasn't turned out any better the next ...

Even as someone that doesn't believe that he can be the guy I am okay with the EJ pick. They traded back and landed a pick that turned into Shady McCoy. It was a terrible QB draft and everyone knew it but they had to try to get a guy. They took a guy with a high ceiling and low floor. It hasn't worked out as they had hoped and I don't suspect that he will go elsewhere and light the league up. It still was a chance worth taking. Regroup and try again next year in a better QB draft.

This. So many mock drafts had us taking Tavon Austin. I know it's crazy, but I'd rather have EJ + Shady.

Let's watch their performances tonight. If EJ looks terrible with the 3's then there's reason to have concern with him. But if he tears it up which I fully expect him to (granted he gets o-line help), then we'll see a whole new rotation next week.

If EJ tears it up all you'll hear is how it "was only against the 3rd string D."

Consider that draft class. Geno? Barkley? Nassib? It was the wrong year to take a QB.

Any Nix and/or Whaley forced the pick. Nix even said in that secretly recorded phone call that it was a bad year to need a franchise QB. I don't fault Manuel. He seems to be a good person and works hard but everyone else had a 3rd round grade on him. Classic argument for drafting the BPA not forcing a pick because of need.

I'd be surprised if EJ were cut given the cap ramifications. If they can find someone to trade him to though I would not at all be surprised if he weren't on the roster. I believe that is how Gabbert went from Jax to SF. At this point I think that it is more likely that EJ is in another uniform than it is EJ starting for the Bills.

I like EJ. He has everything that you could want as a face of the franchise except for the ability to consistently make the plays necessary to be a starting NFL QB.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

If EJ tears it up all you'll hear is how it "was only against the 3rd string D."

Correct. But it'll also show that he's not as incompetent as people make him out to be. If he's as bad as people want to believe he is then he'll go out there toss 3 picks and call it a day.

I think we're all forgetting that this is the guy that led us to victories against Carolina (in a comeback), Baltimore, likely Cleveland if he didn't get hurt, and the Jets. In his first career game, we had the patriots on the ropes until Tom Brady worked his magic.

If anybody remembers that Cleveland game like I do, EJ seemed to be the guy we drafted. It wasn't the most perfect performance but he made some throws and he was running with confidence until he got hurt.

Exactly- he's started and won NFL games.... Someone will think their own coaching magic is the missing secret sauce... And sometimes it works out that way.

Considering how he was developed the first two years... I could see him finding success on a team with a proven offensive system if given the time to grow into it.

Any Nix and/or Whaley forced the pick. Nix even said in that secretly recorded phone call that it was a bad year to need a franchise QB. I don't fault Manuel. He seems to be a good person and works hard but everyone else had a 3rd round grade on him. Classic argument for drafting the BPA not forcing a pick because of need.

I think that this is an interesting point. It is something that we too often forget. That was a bad QB draft by all accounts. You can't demand that you draft a QB early because you need one. You have to take the best players. The wrong QB selection sets you back more than anywhere else. If you make a mistake on a CB for example you just plug the next guy in. As an example if Darby was bad (which by all accounts he is the exact opposite of) you just plug in someone like Ron Brooks and move on. Brooks isn't great but he is an NFL caliber CB and isn't involved in every play.

Considering how he was developed the first two years... I could see him finding success on a team with a proven offensive system if given the time to grow into it.

The problem is by most accounts he has regressed. Maybe it is a confidence thing but no one is pointing to improvement in his play.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I think that this is an interesting point. It is something that we too often forget. That was a bad QB draft by all accounts. You can't demand that you draft a QB early because you need one. You have to take the best players. The wrong QB selection sets you back more than anywhere else. If you make a mistake on a CB for example you just plug the next guy in. As an example if Darby was bad (which by all accounts he is the exact opposite of) you just plug in someone like Ron Brooks and move on. Brooks isn't great but he is an NFL caliber CB and isn't involved in every play.

The problem is by most accounts he has regressed. Maybe it is a confidence thing but no one is pointing to improvement in his play.

How has he regressed? Even if you look at his games last year, he had an average QB rating in the high mid 80's with 5 td's and 3 interceptions. He led us to a comeback against over Chicago and played essentially flawless against Miami. One would argue Marrone's game management led to inefficient drives and lack of points scored. He's never been a bad quarterback. He hasn't been great, but I'd argue he hasn't lost us games by himself.

Right, if he started out 'good', and as he was 'coached' got worse, maybe the problem was the coaching, and it'll take time to undo that damage. Personally I'd rather we keep him and work on development as much as possible if he doesn't win the starting job. It's not like he's been that bad (imo). If we give him the win in Cle, and against Atl (as some reasonably do), he's got a decent record... he has more TDs than turnovers, as well... and arguably the 'bad' games he's had have been when the running game completely failed, or was simply ignored. To me those are all decent signs that he can be successful in the NFL. You combine that with his physical traits, and work ethic... it makes no sense to give up on him considering the circumstances. BUT... the media and fanbase have made up their mind, so... I guess he's done *shrugs*

Edited by Dorkington

I resign myself to the fact that apparently EJ is no good, never will be, and is on his way out of Buffalo. Good guy, bad QB.

Thanks, Buddy, for the draft pick on your way out.

Go Tyrod.

Sad as this statement may be, it's pretty accurate. Many of us, present company included, feared this would be the case from the moment Manuel was selected.

This hurts for 2 reasons. 1st obviously our 1rd round pick won't pan out. 2nd Marrone doesn't look like the idiot that we all know he is.

If the Jags got a 6th for Gabbert we ought to be able to get at least that!

I'm going to give EJ 1 more week, maybe ten days. We should all KNOW by then.

There aren't many NFL teams that would pass on picking up EJ if he were to be cut. He's still a great developmental project.

He's probably better than 80% of the #2s out there right now.

NewenGland***, NY JESTS, Hell, even the Phins would likely take a flyer on him.

Jints, Iggles, Cowboys, and Washington would too. IMO.

How has he regressed? Even if you look at his games last year, he had an average QB rating in the high mid 80's with 5 td's and 3 interceptions. He led us to a comeback against over Chicago and played essentially flawless against Miami. One would argue Marrone's game management led to inefficient drives and lack of points scored. He's never been a bad quarterback. He hasn't been great, but I'd argue he hasn't lost us games by himself.

For one, the reports out of camp are that he has been the worst of the bunch and the problems that have plagued him since HS(accuracy and getting through progressions quickly) are still issues. The 1st few games in a Bills uniform he looked like he may be the guy. He has played some atrocious games since (Pittsburgh, Houston, Tampa). You are not hearing anyone talk about the improvement even people that really like EJ (Sal for example) are saying the opposite. A scout last week said that he "is left handed and doesn't know it." That isn't a "this guy may be alright" analysis that is a "this guy is a train wreck" analysis.

If EJ was a 3rd round pick as most projected there would not be the people on here defending him like they do. They would read the reports as they were meant to be taken. As of 8/14/15 he is the 3rd best QB on the roster. That isn't an agenda or anything other than his play hasn't been better than Cassel or Tyrod. This isn't some big shock either.

There aren't many NFL teams that would pass on picking up EJ if he were to be cut. He's still a great developmental project.

He's probably better than 80% of the #2s out there right now.

NewenGland***, NY JESTS, Hell, even the Phins would likely take a flyer on him.

Jints, Iggles, Cowboys, and Washington would too. IMO.

Dude, if cut, he's not better than OUR # 2 and we don't even really have a # 1!!

For one, the reports out of camp are that he has been the worst of the bunch and the problems that have plagued him since HS(accuracy and getting through progressions quickly) are still issues. The 1st few games in a Bills uniform he looked like he may be the guy. He has played some atrocious games since (Pittsburgh, Houston, Tampa). You are not hearing anyone talk about the improvement even people that really like EJ (Sal for example) are saying the opposite. A scout last week said that he "is left handed and doesn't know it." That isn't a "this guy may be alright" analysis that is a "this guy is a train wreck" analysis.

If EJ was a 3rd round pick as most projected there would not be the people on here defending him like they do. They would read the reports as they were meant to be taken. As of 8/14/15 he is the 3rd best QB on the roster. That isn't an agenda or anything other than his play hasn't been better than Cassel or Tyrod. This isn't some big shock either.

The reports I read says Cassel was awful first weeks and that EJ showed up in the scrimmage better than anybody and Tyrod is a better runner than thrower.

Those are the same reports we've seen forever. But I've seen good and bad from all three quarter backs.

Through the first 8 Cassel looked terrible.