Astro-Notes: Day 1, Friday 7/31

I don't think they want to see him fail...they want to prove themselves right (that he was a reach and a mistake). Proving oneself correct is more important to a lot of people than just having an adult, intellectual conversation in which both parties can make points without either having to "win."

Sounds like every EJ thread I've ever read.

Thanks for the writeup astro. Plan on getting out next Wednesday myself.

Edited by The Wiz

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree it looks that way, but why? It makes no sense that they would want him to fail.

What concerned me most, while following all the beat writers on Twitter, was tha Vic Carruci just panned EJ with every tweet. I've respected Vic since his 1st go'round here and am thrilled he's back on the 'beat'. But I won't argue he seems to have axe to grind with this watered down 1st round pic..

Too lazy to copy/paste all his entries, but he was merciless toward Manuel.

As others have said, these Astro reports are one of the jewels of TBD. Reading them is like tasting sweet water after an endless trek in the desert.

What concerned me most, while following all the beat writers on Twitter, was tha Vic Carruci just panned EJ with every tweet. I've respected Vic since his 1st go'round here and am thrilled he's back on the 'beat'. But I won't argue he seems to have axe to grind with this watered down 1st round pic..

It's funny. Vic seems "different" somehow in his second go round at the Snooze. He was exceptional back in the Monday Night Quarterback days, with Felser and Murph. Now he just seems tired and "phoning it in" in many ways.

I can't put my finger on it, but I rarely feel like saying, "Wow, this guy's good" like I used too...

I don't think they want to see him fail...they want to prove themselves right (that he was a reach and a mistake). Proving oneself correct is more important to a lot of people than just having an adult, intellectual conversation in which both parties can make points without either having to "win."

Perfectly said and exactly right.

It's funny. Vic seems "different" somehow in his second go round at the Snooze. He was exceptional back in the Monday Night Quarterback days, with Felser and Murph. Now he just seems tired and "phoning it in" in many ways.

I can't put my finger on it, but I rarely feel like saying, "Wow, this guy's good" like I used too...

Because he's on with schopp and bulldog. They both hate EJ but always throw in that "I'm not saying is impossible.... But"

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing about a Month ago when I saw him holding a mic. He just looked worn out and tired - it's like he's trying too hard to fit in with the "new media" that it's making him look awfully uncomfortable.

I loved his professional honesty back in the day - now it just looks engineered.

Edited by Triple Threat

Carucci seems different....maybe a bit bitter or angry since he's returned. I don't care for his writing as much as I used to.

Practice Notes Day 1, Friday:

Practice began precisely at 10:00 am under a cloudless sky and perfect temps. I had some DraftTek buddies there today, so they helped with unfamiliar jersey numbers, etc. 35 of the current 88 players won't make this roster, and that's too bad, because the strength and depth of this team is incredible. We decided that there will be some regrettable cuts at WR, RB, and TE, where we are deep.

Players who caught our eyes this mornng included:

RB Karlos Williams (bigger and faster than expected, who'd give a fourth quarter pounding to every team we're leading);

RB Shady McCoy (he came over to our section and got the crowd cheering, then threw an NFL football into the stands. The guy in front of me caught it, and gave it to a six-year-old boy. Both were classy moves. Shady also had a great catch vs Ty Powell that was my Play of the Day.

WR Sammy Watkins. He looked 100%, and will do everything to merit being a Pro Bowl receiver.

WR Deonte Thompson (PS receiver and/or gunner, who impressed us with slick out-and-in moves to thwart double-teams in the kicking game);

WR Andre Davis (two very impressive fingertip catches, one over his shoulder for 40+ yards against air);

WR Marcus Thigpen (three nice catches...listed in the training camp as 6'9", so a typo. He's not 6'1")

P Colton Schmidt has deeper kicks with more hang time than last year. One went 60+ yards and bounced out at the 1.

QB EJ Manuel, whose throwing motion and particularly decisiveness trumped the others today. All QBs hand off to Shady nicely. Keep that in mind. Tyrod had a nice lead pass to Fred Jackson worth mentioning, and Cassel is better than I thought at leading his man. Simms will be a better PS guy than Tuel.

Music was playing all morning during practice. Lots of songs you'd know (Funk You Up, Juke Box Hero, Sweet Caroline--we play Panthers a week from Friday).

Random:

--Jimmy Gaines had a nice strip, resulting in a fumble.

--Felton had two drops this morning. Conner, Rex's FB, caught all balls thrown to him. Line for 11:11 was Glenn-Miller-Wood-Cyril-Kujo at one point.

--TE Mulligan made two nice catches. He's known as a blocking TE, but could end up being the 4th TE if he keeps this up. Gragg, not to be outdone, had a nice catch, too, where he faked a block and slanted in.

--Duke Williams INT was due to intense DL and LB pressure. We can bring it.

--Gilmore isn't there yet. Of course, he was on an island vs Watkins, then Harvin, then Goodwin. Later, Woods sells Gilly on a fly pattern and slants over the middle.

--I'm seeing the pre-snap shifts and motions that Greg Roman has instituted.

Some more notes, as I have time today:

WR

--Dezmin Lewis has the height (6'4") but he's thinner in the upper body than you'd like. Needs weight room and chicken wings. Two drops today.

--Justin Brown is the Oklahoma receiver who is 6-3, and boy is he smooth catching the football. I saw two seamless hands catches from him.

--Thigpen is doing all he can to make this squad as a WR as well as a PR/KR. Three nice catches I saw and solid work fielding punts from Colton Schmidt today.

--

ST

--We should have a top 3 special teams group this year. That's the good news. It's likely bad news for a player or two from last year. Easley? Boobie?

CB

--Somebody has to tell Darby those red knee sox are...well... popular in the 1950's. With the girls.

--There is a DB in came with "Miller" and "43" on his jersey that's not in the program. Any news?

OL

--Kouandjio canm flat-out run. He got to the second level on a play faster than Jason Peters used to do.

LB

--Tony Steward looks like he's full go. That spells doom for somebody. Tarpley?

TE

--O'Leary didn't drop a ball today. He's the TE version of Chris Hogan.

--Clay is half a head bigger than O'Leary, yet they're both listed as 6-3.

I'll try and answer any questions you have. I'm going back tomorrow.Dean Kindig

Great reporting. Thank you.

Some more notes, as I have time today:

WR

--Dezmin Lewis has the height (6'4") but he's thinner in the upper body than you'd like. Needs weight room and chicken wings. Two drops today.

--Justin Brown is the Oklahoma receiver who is 6-3, and boy is he smooth catching the football. I saw two seamless hands catches from him.

--Thigpen is doing all he can to make this squad as a WR as well as a PR/KR. Three nice catches I saw and solid work fielding punts from Colton Schmidt today.

--

ST

--We should have a top 3 special teams group this year. That's the good news. It's likely bad news for a player or two from last year. Easley? Boobie?

CB

--Somebody has to tell Darby those red knee sox are...well... popular in the 1950's. With the girls.

--There is a DB in came with "Miller" and "43" on his jersey that's not in the program. Any news?

OL

--Kouandjio canm flat-out run. He got to the second level on a play faster than Jason Peters used to do.

LB

--Tony Steward looks like he's full go. That spells doom for somebody. Tarpley?

TE

--O'Leary didn't drop a ball today. He's the TE version of Chris Hogan.

--Clay is half a head bigger than O'Leary, yet they're both listed as 6-3.

Great insight. This is why I pay money to be a member here!!

One pass was, in my opinion, thrown at Woods' feet. This is far better than throwing an INT or the Trentative pat-pat-pat-sack.

Or the Rob Johnson roll-out, roll-out, roll-out and step-out-of-bounds and sack myself.

For me, the draft picks and UDFA's in "most-noticed" order:

1. Karlos Williams

2. Darby

3. O'Leary

4. John Miller

5. Tyson Chandler

6. Dez Lewis

7. Everyone else.

LOVE this thread! And trust this review more than media reports - but I gotta ask - how can Lewis be on this list if he looked thin and showed questionable hands, while others flashed? Is this a "most-noticed" good list, or does it include bad notice also?

It is my turn to say thank you for the report Astro. I always look forward to your reports, and I love DraftTek.

I have a couple questions for you:

Do you think the Bills will keep 2 Kickers?

How did Boobie Dixon look? Did he get RB plays or FB plays?

Is Manny Lawson lining up at OLB all the time?

I made practice and Manuel surprised me. Yes, this illogical bashing of Manuel needs to stop. You can see that he has the best arm and talent of the group. He's the only QB not consistently underthrowing receivers - the best scenario is that he takes the next step and wins the job. Tyrod is no solution and Cassel is just another Orton...if we are lucky. We should be rooting for Manuel to win the job.

I don't get it either. And apparently Rex specifically mentioned Manuel as having a good practice after he reviewed the film.

I don't get it either. And apparently Rex specifically mentioned Manuel as having a good practice after he reviewed the film.

It just follows up really what Astro was saying. Sure maybe that 11-on-11 session wasn't great, going 0-3 or whatever it was, but that doesn't really describe his entire practice.

And again, who knows what they are working on play wise.

It just follows up really what Astro was saying. Sure maybe that 11-on-11 session wasn't great, going 0-3 or whatever it was, but that doesn't really describe his entire practice.

And again, who knows what they are working on play wise.

and that is why one must take moment by moment tweets with care

I made practice and Manuel surprised me. Yes, this illogical bashing of Manuel needs to stop. You can see that he has the best arm and talent of the group. He's the only QB not consistently underthrowing receivers - the best scenario is that he takes the next step and wins the job. Tyrod is no solution and Cassel is just another Orton...if we are lucky. We should be rooting for Manuel to win the job.

Carucci, Rodak, Sal C., Buscaglia, and seemingly everyone at WGR have all had this troll-like dislike for EJ Manuel. It’s beyond odd. It’s embarrassing that these guys are even covering the Bills. I get that fans are ridiculously impatient and don’t know that when experts say that someone is a two to three year project that it actually means they are a two to three year project. But when professionals like Vic blow up the internet with a stupid comment like him thinking Manuel could possibly get cut, it tells me that these guys are no better than message board trolls. What does it say about professional beat reporters that message board fans are providing better coverage than the paid professionals? Seriously. Major thanks to Astro, someone needs to give him a paying writing gig covering the Bills.

As for radio, WGR is unlistenable. I tried to listen to the stream yesterday and had to turn it off. They really need to fire everyone over there. If Manuel takes hold of the starting job quickly then whats the reason to have hard core Manuel haters as your radio show hosts given that that is the Buffalo Bills radio station? Sports are supposed to be about fun and hope and all they got over there is EJ hate and overall despair. It’s a shame.

LOVE this thread! And trust this review more than media reports - but I gotta ask - how can Lewis be on this list if he looked thin and showed questionable hands, while others flashed? Is this a "most-noticed" good list, or does it include bad notice also?

I "noticed" Dez, and he had a couple of drops, so he's at the bottom of my list of noticees! LOL

Leaving for camp shortly.I live 8 minutes away.

I "noticed" Dez, and he had a couple of drops, so he's at the bottom of my list of noticees! LOL

Here We Go Astro - Here We Go! Have fun, looking forward to the report already :worthy:

Carucci, Rodak, Sal C., Buscaglia, and seemingly everyone at WGR have all had this troll-like dislike for EJ Manuel. Its beyond odd. Its embarrassing that these guys are even covering the Bills. I get that fans are ridiculously impatient and dont know that when experts say that someone is a two to three year project that it actually means they are a two to three year project. But when professionals like Vic blow up the internet with a stupid comment like him thinking Manuel could possibly get cut, it tells me that these guys are no better than message board trolls. What does it say about professional beat reporters that message board fans are providing better coverage than the paid professionals? Seriously. Major thanks to Astro, someone needs to give him a paying writing gig covering the Bills.

As for radio, WGR is unlistenable. I tried to listen to the stream yesterday and had to turn it off. They really need to fire everyone over there. If Manuel takes hold of the starting job quickly then whats the reason to have hard core Manuel haters as your radio show hosts given that that is the Buffalo Bills radio station? Sports are supposed to be about fun and hope and all they got over there is EJ hate and overall despair. Its a shame.

sal set the "WHOSDAQ" at 50 % Meh, 25% EJ, 25 % TT before camp started. He said he will update on Monday. Should be interesting. Maybe. Edited by YoloinOhio

sal set the "WHOSDAQ" at 50 % Meh, 25% EJ, 25 % TT before camp started. He said he will update on Monday. Should be interesting. Maybe.

Those guys at WGR are just clueless. It's got to the point of being embarrassing and cringe worthy.

I think Sal needs to retire his "QB percentages" schtick.

Those guys at WGR are just clueless. It's got to the point of being embarrassing and cringe worthy.

i like Sal better than the other guys but I wonder what it take for him to back off of Cassel. I'm not sure he ever will.

i like Sal better than the other guys but I wonder what it take for him to back off of Cassel. I'm not sure he ever will.

I get that he likes him for the experience stance but his play has fallen off too much to really be considered that high of a percentage.

We

Guess

Results

I wanted to use Rong as a testament to their "writing" abilities

woot woot can't wait

F5

If they really want to turn it up a notch, they should incorporate this new QB stock price thing into their next vegetable draft