Who is going to be the biggest surprise Bill this year?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic KTD!! There are so many good suggestions and a couple of ridiculous thoughts (ie Clay as the 3rd TE).

It depends on how you interpret it I guess. If you are talking about a guy that breaks out nationally (kind of like Hughes just did) Aaron Williams or Watkins would be my guess. Watkins will move into elite territory & AW a pro bowler.

If you are talking about a guy that would surprise us hardcore fans, Ty Powell seems like a good bet. He seems to be the off the radar guy that took a step this offseason. There are lots of good options though.

In the last few months I've already had a busted water main, had to replace a garage door, and had to buy a new car

I don't need another surprise bill this year

Holy crap, that is a bad streak.

In the last few months I've already had a busted water main, had to replace a garage door, and had to buy a new car

I don't need another surprise bill this year

Don't worry, they come in threes so you're done. Unless you drove the car through the garage door and over the water main... Then it might only count as one.

So many options! How cool is that? i agree with everyone one of you. But i will play the dark Horses.

Alex Carrington. tough to get enough reps. But the ones he gets he really gets. He was coming on very strong before the injury that season. he is in a good place to thrive. watch him opening day!!

and my my boy on Offense? Percy Harvin. by the end of the season he will be a hero.

But honestly, it is sooo hard to pick

Go Bills.

great thread btw

So many options! How cool is that? i agree with everyone one of you. But i will play the dark Horses.

Alex Carrington. tough to get enough reps. But the ones he gets he really gets. He was coming on very strong before the injury that season. he is in a good place to thrive. watch him opening day!!

and my my boy on Offense? Percy Harvin. by the end of the season he will be a hero.

But honestly, it is sooo hard to pick

Go Bills.

great thread btw

mega hand!

Freddy.... Some predicted he'd be released. While he won't unseat Shady, he will have a productive season with flashes of Freddy goodness.

EJ... I kind of think EJ will win the starting job and perform capably in Roman's offense.

Sophomore OL... Could Whaley have whiffed on all three? I think one of them will step and be a be a good starter by the end of the season. Cross my fingers, maybe even two.

Not sure what you mean by "one way or the other." Would it be a surprise to anyone if he still sucks?

To be fair, there will be a good amount of people who are surprised if he's the starter, and there are a good amount of people who would be surprised if he isn't. Based on some of the polls here and ob buffalo rumblings I'd say the fanbase is split about 55/45 on EJ and how he'll position himself this offseason

To be fair, there will be a good amount of people who are surprised if he's the starter, and there are a good amount of people who would be surprised if he isn't. Based on some of the polls here and ob buffalo rumblings I'd say the fanbase is split about 55/45 on EJ and how he'll position himself this offseason

Well, we did have this poll a couple of months ago: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/177021-who-will-start-at-qb-on-opening-day/

It seems like opinions amongst us are pretty split.

Care to explain why?

He loves marginal talent, despises big names, and if he had his way the Bills roster would be loaded with the Kaufmanns and Dorin Dickersons of the league. Hes that that guy who thinks the Beatles greatest hits are all trash and would love to tell you about that rare bootleg of Yoko defecating on a set of bongos while yodeling and how its really their greatest work.

Ray Rice - the Bills will sign him on the cheap and he'll lead the Bills in rushing.

(This is one of those posts that I don't actually believe but I'll look prescient if it actually happens. I'll brag about my inside sources for years!).

He loves marginal talent, despises big names, and if he had his way the Bills roster would be loaded with the Kaufmanns and Dorin Dickersons of the league. Hes that that guy who thinks the Beatles greatest hits are all trash and would love to tell you about that rare bootleg of Yoko defecating on a set of bongos while yodeling and how its really their greatest work.

Who would be playing the bongos?

Ray Rice - the Bills will sign him on the cheap and he'll lead the Bills in rushing.

(This is one of those posts that I don't actually believe but I'll look prescient if it actually happens. I'll brag about my inside sources for years!).

Imo

Fixed that for ya.

Care to explain why?

He's not a true TE... Period. HB perhaps... Maybe a little FB, but definitely a tweener... And as such, Quite frankly, I think we overpaid... This guy is scheduled to make more than Gronk or Jimmy Graham over the next two years. (24.7 million, or so in NFL Salary.) For that kind of money, I'm not that impressed with his 2 red zone TD's last season!

I genuinely feel, that Marqueis Gray has more upside as a pure TE... Big, agile, runs good routes, decent speed in the open field.... Just doesn't get the amount of reps a young player requires to get good... As I implied earlier, I hope he makes the most of his reps, and has a breakout year.. GO BILLS!

He's not a true TE... Period. HB perhaps... Maybe a little FB, but definitely a tweener... And as such, Quite frankly, I think we overpaid... This guy is scheduled to make more than Gronk or Jimmy Graham over the next two years. (24.7 million, or so in NFL Salary.) For that kind of money, I'm not that impressed with his 2 red zone TD's last season!

I genuinely feel, that Marqueis Gray has more upside as a pure TE... Big, agile, runs good routes, decent speed in the open field.... Just doesn't get the amount of reps a young player requires to get good... As I implied earlier, I hope he makes the most of his reps, and has a breakout year.. GO BILLS!

why do you have "zero faith" in him though since he's not being paid to play the "true TE" role? He is going to line up as a "H" TE/hback/WR depending on set. He's not switching positions to a "Y"'TE. Edited by YoloinOhio

Very few players walk into this league ready to lead their teams to the playoffs... I believe that even a player with seemingly marginal talent, can have that talent exponentialized with the right coaching and development... Something we consistently get WRONG... The Julian Edelmans, Wes Welker's, and Brandon LaFells of the leaugue PROVE that good teams can develop players that don't appear very promising at first... I'm not for marginal talent over big names at all... I just hate it when good talent is marginalized by big names... I think each player we draft, or sign, should be acquired with a specific vision in mind... a purpose... perhaps something we saw them do well at the collegiate level... Something we're planning to exponentialize at the pro level. This requires WORK... sometimes alot of work. -It's worth it when the guy you picked does EXACTLY what you need him to, and then some.

Very few players walk into this league ready to lead their teams to the playoffs... I believe that even a player with seemingly marginal talent, can have that talent exponentialized with the right coaching and development... Something we consistently get WRONG... The Julian Edelmans, Wes Welker's, and Brandon LaFells of the leaugue PROVE that good teams can develop players that don't appear very promising at first... I'm not for marginal talent over big names at all... I just hate it when good talent is marginalized by big names... I think each player we draft, or sign, should be acquired with a specific vision in mind... a purpose... perhaps something we saw them do well at the collegiate level... Something we're planning to exponentialize at the pro level. This requires WORK... sometimes alot of work. -It's worth it when the guy you picked does EXACTLY what you need him to, and then some.

Isn't Clay the EXACT type of guy that has had his talent cultivated? He was a 6th round pick out of the football power Tulsa where he played HB and FB. He isn't some prodigy that has been handed opportunities. Clay was voted as the 89th best player in the NFL (according to other players) in 2013. They clearly see him as a player. He is actually the perfect example of what you are advocating for. Take a player that is the perfect fit for your system (he may be THE best fit in the NFL for this offense), develop his skills and plug him in.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Please explain, in detail, why you believe this isn't exactly what the Bills did in targeting Clay?

why do you have "zero faith" in him though since he's not being paid to play the "true TE" role? He is going to line up as a "H" TE/hback/WR depending on set. He's not switching positions to a "Y"'TE

Because IMO, a tweener, who isn't a red-zone threat will struggle to succeed on a team weak at QB... I get Roman's offensive philosophy, I'd just rather have a solid TE, and RZ target... Lots to like about Gray... I think he could be a surprise... Which is the premise of this spculative thread...

Because IMO, a tweener, who isn't a red-zone threat will struggle to succeed on a team weak at QB... I get Roman's offensive philosophy, I'd just rather have a solid TE, and RZ target... Lots to like about Gray... I think he could be a surprise... Which is the premise of this spculative thread...

i know the premise of the thread - you were the one who brought up that you had zero faith in Clay. Also, the type of TE he is is the exact reason he was targeted for a team weak at QB. Edited by YoloinOhio

So a Jason Peters or Fred Jackson don't count ? Peters and Jackson are better than two out three of your examples. Peters might be better than all three. Both meet your criteria, in that they both needed development and neither appeared promising early on.

EDIT: And Wes Welker had 67 catches the year before he was traded to the Pats**

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

Please explain, in detail, why you believe this isn't exactly what the Bills did in targeting Clay?

I was replying to a post that accused me of preferring marginal talent... I was explaining that this isn't the case... It could very well be that the Bills had this in mind all along... If so, then great... The fact that I don't feel as strongly as some do in favor of Clay (who isn't really a "big name") means just that, and only that...

If Gray ( who I think could be lethal if coached-up properly) managed to "surprise" the insiders and pundits who prefer someone else... Then we'd all be happy anyway.

i know the premise of the thread - you were the one who brought up that you had zero faith in Clay. Also, the type of TE he is is the exact reason he was targeted for a team weak at QB.

In your opinion, he would work...

but I don't like this type of TE, and I still have zero hope it will work.

So a Jason Peters or Fred Jackson don't count ? Peters and Jackson are better than two out three of your examples. Peters might be better than all three. Both meet your criteria, in that they both needed development and neither appeared promising early on.

EDIT: And Wes Welker had 67 catches the year before he was traded to the Pats**

Peters is an Eagle now, and yes Fred counts... Wes Walker was undrafted and cut by the Chargers... he is a prime example of an underrated guy paying bid dividends.