FA LB Michael Buchanan visiting Bills - update: Signed

@SalSports: Bills host free agent LB Buchanan (learn more about him):

http://t.co/e5MJINSOFa

@ChrisTrapasso: More specifics on Buchanan: 34" arms, had super-fast 6.91 three-cone drill at 255 lbs at 2013 combine. Hybrid-type pass-rusher Rex likes.

@ChrisTrapasso: Buchanan was picked by the Patriots in Round 7 out of Illinois in 2013. He's 6'6" / 250lbs. Pass-rusher. Minimal opportunity / impact in NE.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@SalSports

The Bills are hosting LB Michael Buchanan on a FA visit today.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8622/michael-buchanan

@BuffaloBillsPR

Bills are hosting LB Michael Buchanan on a FA visit. Buchanan played in 18 games in two seasons with the New England Patriots.

@buffalobills

The Bills are hosting LB Michael Buchanan on a free agent visit in Buffalo today. Details: http://bufbills.co/3Qwv19

buchanan-story.jpg

I mocked him to us the year he came out. I think at the very least he's a developmental guy and think he fits in our hybrid scheme. Personally I'd rather see him here than say someone like Bryan Johnson who has yet to do anything yet he's still questionable at making the final 53 as think we're pretty strong along the D-line and at LB but could use a little depth at ILB.

@mikerodak: Free agent Mike Buchanan has appeared to sign with the Bills, per a tweet and response from a former teammate: http://t.co/jSFBF3NQUW

@mikerodak: Mike Buchanan will fit either as a DE or OLB in Bills' defense and could be in the mix for a spot on the 53. Bills need to clear spot on 90.

@viccarucci: The #Bills signed DE/LB Michael Buchanan. Waived P Spencer Roth.

Edited by FluffHead

We need depth at Inside Linebacker. With Mario, Hughes, Lawson, and Wynn - I don't know why they felt they needed more pass rush/3-4 OLB depth.

My opinion on that is that Lawson is a mediocre player as an edge defender (as opposed to a traditional LB role, where he's fine as a guy that can play 40-50% of your defensive snaps), and I think Wynn is more of a down lineman.

Another pure pass rusher is definitely a need IMO...I shudder to think what the defense would look like if either Mario or Hughes goes down for any appreciable period of time.

Edited by thebandit27

My opinion on that is that Lawson is a mediocre player as an edge defender (as opposed to a traditional LB role, where he's fine as a guy that can play 40-50% of your defensive snaps), and I think Wynn is more of a down lineman.

Another pure pass rusher is definitely a need IMO...I shudder to think what the defense would look like if either Mario or Hughes goes down for any appreciable period of time.

That's interesting... my impression of Lawson was formed in 2013, and it is of him being a teriffic edge-setter, and I can imagine many times when a run was bottled up inside, the RB tried to bounce it outside, or there was a quick flare pass to the flat to the RB, or a screen attempted to be run on a quick pass to a slot WR, and with the play in front of him, Lawson was able to skillfully disengage from his blocker and make a sound open field tackle. I think it was this skill alone that allowed him to see the field at all, last year, as a DE. He is about 245-250 I think, and if he weren't great at that, he would have been a major liability against the run.

That's interesting... my impression of Lawson was formed in 2013, and it is of him being a teriffic edge-setter, and I can imagine many times when a run was bottled up inside, the RB tried to bounce it outside, or there was a quick flare pass to the flat to the RB, or a screen attempted to be run on a quick pass to a slot WR, and with the play in front of him, Lawson was able to skillfully disengage from his blocker and make a sound open field tackle. I think it was this skill alone that allowed him to see the field at all, last year, as a DE. He is about 245-250 I think, and if he weren't great at that, he would have been a major liability against the run.

My opinion was similar to yours until the KC game last year :sick:

I actually don't disagree with that--I think we only differ in that we're using different terminology. I'm using edge defender to mean a LEO-style defender..i.e. a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. To me, Lawson is not that guy. He's a Sam in a 4-3, where he can play over the TE, cover, and play off of a traditional edge defender to contain. That's the role that, IMO, he played quite well in Pettine's D.

My opinion was similar to yours until the KC game last year :sick:

Yes, that was awful. I think his role in Pettine's D was slightly different from his role under Schwartz. I would think Lawson will be in a better position to succeed again under Rex.