Best "Receiving Unit" in the NFL

Twitter question from NFL- Who has the best "receiving unit" in the NFL.

I threw out the Bills and got laughed at while the consensus seems to be leaning Green Bay and Denver. Maybe it's the homer in me, but I really believe 1-4 we have the deepest group in the league. Sammy hasn't posted the big seasons some guys have, but guys like Belichick have said they treat him the same as they treat other guys. Clay blows away the TE for either Denver or Green Bay. Depending on how you slot Harvin & Woods as 2 & 3 I struggle to come up with 3rd WRs clearly better than ours.

Am I a biased homer or are we getting slept on hard?

I threw out the Bills and got laughed at while the consensus seems to be leaning Green Bay and Denver. Maybe it's the homer in me, but I really believe 1-4 we have the deepest group in the league. Sammy hasn't posted the big seasons some guys have, but guys like Belichick have said they treat him the same as they treat other guys. Clay blows away the TE for either Denver or Green Bay. Depending on how you slot Harvin & Woods as 2 & 3 I struggle to come up with 3rd WRs clearly better than ours.

Until the Bills win 11-13 games in a season and make a serious run (I think this is very possible this season) the public will still just consider us a bad team. I wouldn't trade our WR corps for any other team's.

it seems that they may have been slotting out "passing game" and you were doing "starting pass catchers" and possible neither was 1-6 WE group skill only, if i had to guess

WR is crazy deep, but if your counting TE's

#1- GB

#2- DAL

#3- ATL

#4- DEN

#5- INDY

#6- DET

#7- NE

#8- PIT

#9- CIN

#10- BUF

If, and it's a big if, victor Cruz returns to form, then giants belong somewhere in here:

ODB 91 1,305 12 (in 12 games in 2014)

Cruz 73 993 6 (in last full season 2013)

Randle 71 938 3 (2014)

Donell (TE) 63 623 6 (2014)

It's the homer in you. It's a lot of homer in you too. Like...up to his waist and he ain't slim.

7f18_007.jpg

GB man.

Jordy/Cobb > Watkins/Woods.

Edited by FireChan

What we have on the roster is different then most teams. We have the kind of potential most teams would dream of having. Young players like Woods and Watkins, speedy dynamic Harvin, on the bubble to emerge to a true NFL WR Hogan and possibly one day we will see him as a top 100 player, Clay who is truly going to be viewed as a potential superstar and as hyped as anyone, and then our RB's and other guys. We have a lot of people that do not get the headlines but we know their name. These guys are very good but we are little high on them because we are fanatics.

also 21,000 .

This years final cut down will be very difficult. I sure hope the owners vote to increase the 53 roster limit.

Who Goes?

Locks: Sammy, Woods, Harvin

Probably: Hogan, Goodwin?, Easley? Thigpen?

Long Shots: All the others . . .

But note: If another WR emerges, look for Easley to be let go; Why? Notice all the special teams ability the Bills have picked up this off-season.

I agree you are a biased homer. We are not in the top 25. If during the season we find that the line has been significantly upgraded (hard to say at this point), QB play will be better (again hard to say yes to this), Sammy doesn't quit on the QB the way he quit on EJ (and that was probably justified), play calling is improved (the emphasis on the run means less touches in the passing game). At best we will have a top 20 passing game. Sammy is a good receiver, not great yet. Woods is okay, a number 3 or 4 on many teams, Percy had a down year in 2014, with Cassel, Ty or EJ tossing likelihood for better year is slim, who's our 4th Hogan or Goodwin, neither are much more than role players. Clay is better than Chandler but doesn't make that big a difference with our QBs. I'd say we are about 25th and that is being kind.

biased homer, but that's ok. go bills. they need to show it on the field before anyone believes, including me. and that is totally dependent on the QB. reputation as a team goes a long way with all these preseason rankings, and we all know what the media thinks of this franchise

Edited by 8and8Forever

Who Goes?

Locks: Sammy, Woods, Harvin

Probably: Hogan, Goodwin?, Easley? Thigpen?

Long Shots: All the others . . .

But note: If another WR emerges, look for Easley to be let go; Why? Notice all the special teams ability the Bills have picked up this off-season.

And..... We are yet to see where Rex is on a bunch of roster spots taken by ST only guys.

Easley is a gunner only. While darn good at it, the impact a gunner can make on a game is 1-2 plays and on average probably less than 20 yards of field position per game.

And..... We are yet to see where Rex is on a bunch of roster spots taken by ST only guys.

Easley is a gunner only. While darn good at it, the impact a gunner can make on a game is 1-2 plays and on average probably less than 20 yards of field position per game.

That said, I think John Connor has a better chance to make the final cut than does Easley.

WR is crazy deep, but if your counting TE's

#1- GB

#2- DAL

#3- ATL

#4- DEN

#5- INDY

#6- DET

#7- NE

#8- PIT

#9- CIN

#10- BUF

Indy's receiving unit is highly overrated in my opinion and is a result of Luck's brilliance. IMO Hilton is the most overrated WR in the NFL today. Giants have a much better receiving unit in Victor Cruz, Shane Vereen, and Odell Beckham.

I don't know who will be on the final 53 but right now the Bills have an incredible amount of speed at WR- they have four guys under 4.35 but only 1 Goodwin looks probably for the 53, it's kinda freaky that as of now our top 3 WRs are probably 6th, 7th and 9th in terms of speed.

What the Bills lack is that dominate 6,5 long armed, jump out of the stadium, strong enough to fight for position red zone target

Moulds/Price over 1000 yards each equates to a "best receiving unit". Until watkins/woods/harvin put up those numbers we will never be recognized as such. It is a moot issue until we have someone worthy under center slingin the rock around.

Moulds/Price over 1000 yards each equates to a "best receiving unit". Until watkins/woods/harvin put up those numbers we will never be recognized as such. It is a moot issue until we have someone worthy under center slingin the rock around.

This.

We're all Homers and we Know we have great talent @ WR. But for national prominence, STATS are the telling tale. That requires competent and consistent QB play.

I'm good with being somewhat overlooked in this regard.

I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I'd take Calvin Johnson and Golden Tate. Lions got robbed last year. We all know that was pass interference, not "face gaurding." The refs hate the Lions and always have. But they have the best 2 gamebreaking WRs imaginable.

Until the Bills win 11-13 games in a season and make a serious run (I think this is very possible this season) the public will still just consider us a bad team. I wouldn't trade our WR corps for any other team's.

I would add the Bills also must have a QB who can deliver the ball. Best receivers on the planet matter little if balls are not thrown to them.

That said, I think John Connor has a better chance to make the final cut than does Easley.

Really? I don't see that. Easely's four year contract extension isn't a cap-breaker, but if they cut him this year it's $2.2 million dead money this year; it's only $1.2 next season and under a million in year three.

I think the only locks on the WR corps right now are: Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Easely. There's a battle for the 5th spot between Goodwin, Hogan, Lewis/the rest with Hogan on the outside looking in. They might keep six if they can't stash Lewis on the PS, but I think 5 will be the number.

Edited by GreggyT

Key is Goodwin. He's the only one can really stretch the field. Healthy Goodwin would make us a nightmare to defend

JTSP

First off....love the avitar

Second....WHAT....This team is loaded with speed...Goodwin is NOT the only WR that can stretch the field......

Watkins and Harvin are really really explosive....EITHER of them are field stretchers....Woods is the most pedestrian of the group

I agree you are a biased homer. We are not in the top 25. If during the season we find that the line has been significantly upgraded (hard to say at this point), QB play will be better (again hard to say yes to this), Sammy doesn't quit on the QB the way he quit on EJ (and that was probably justified), play calling is improved (the emphasis on the run means less touches in the passing game). At best we will have a top 20 passing game. Sammy is a good receiver, not great yet. Woods is okay, a number 3 or 4 on many teams, Percy had a down year in 2014, with Cassel, Ty or EJ tossing likelihood for better year is slim, who's our 4th Hogan or Goodwin, neither are much more than role players. Clay is better than Chandler but doesn't make that big a difference with our QBs. I'd say we are about 25th and that is being kind.

You are utterly ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that if Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck had Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods (3rd or 4th on many teams? What?) and Percy Harvin to throw to throw to this year that that unit wouldn't be considered one of the very best if not the best in the league by the end of the season, you are severely, severely misguided. As if Nelson, Cobb and Boykins had Manuel/Lewis/Tuel/Orton throwing to them the last two years that they would be considered an elite unit. All things being equal the Bills are almost certainly a top 5 unit and definitely a top 10 unit by anyone looking at this rationally and objectively. Hell, Tom Brady could take our 4-6 as his 1-3 (Hogan, Goodwin and Easley or whoever) and the Patriots would still go 11-5.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

OP- i love the enthusiasm, but to put us in the same league as half the teams in the NFL like AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Demerius Thomas, Julio Jones, Floyd in Arizona, and so on.

We have a more talented team for sure, but not an elite WR team until proven and we ha ve two WR over 1200 yards and significant TD's. How's that going to happen with cassel?

I'm really hopeful Cassel will have so many weapons, and Roman and his crew turns our line into a powerhouse, he shines. I wonder as KC and MN were not that talented of teams so his one 10-6 season with KC and 11-5 with the Cheatriots means he could manage this team to success.

I'm saying a couple of prayers Goodell took on the role of the appeal so he can hold his ground and let the Cheatriots know a second offense after Spygate is unacceptable. That is some brass cohonies to go up directly against Kraft.

I'm probably one of the only fans in the NFL who likes Goodell. He takes a hard line, shows professional courage, and leadership, and does not for the most part fall to fan pressure.

OP- i love the enthusiasm, but to put us in the same league as half the teams in the NFL like AJ Green, Calvin Johnson, Demerius Thomas, Julio Jones, Floyd in Arizona, and so on.

We have a more talented team for sure, but not an elite WR team until proven and we ha ve two WR over 1200 yards and significant TD's. How's that going to happen with cassel?

I'm really hopeful Cassel will have so many weapons, and Roman and his crew turns our line into a powerhouse, he shines. I wonder as KC and MN were not that talented of teams so his one 10-6 season with KC and 11-5 with the Cheatriots means he could manage this team to success.

I'm saying a couple of prayers Goodell took on the role of the appeal so he can hold his ground and let the Cheatriots know a second offense after Spygate is unacceptable. That is some brass cohonies to go up directly against Kraft.

I'm probably one of the only fans in the NFL who likes Goodell. He takes a hard line, shows professional courage, and leadership, and does not for the most part fall to fan pressure.

You just named the best receivers in the league. Yes I would take Julio Jones over any of our WR's (maybe for now) but anyone would rather have the combination of Watkins, Woods and Harvin than Jones, an on-his-very-last-legs Roddy White and Harry Douglas.

JTSP

First off....love the avitar

Second....WHAT....This team is loaded with speed...Goodwin is NOT the only WR that can stretch the field......

Watkins and Harvin are really really explosive....EITHER of them are field stretchers....Woods is the most pedestrian of the group

Look up their 40 times. Goodwin is .14 and .16 faster than Harvin and Watkins, respectively. Tbose are big differences. Hes truly Olympic caliber. He's faster than every DB in the league. The degree they have to play him soft opens up underneath stuff. Forget about him and its over

Another

https://youtu.be/Mkbmnt3775Y

Edited by JTSP

You are utterly ridiculous. Anyone who thinks that if Aaron Rodgers or Andrew Luck had Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods (3rd or 4th on many teams? What?) and Percy Harvin to throw to throw to this year that that unit wouldn't be considered one of the very best if not the best in the league by the end of the season, you are severely, severely misguided. As if Nelson, Cobb and Boykins had Manuel/Lewis/Tuel/Orton throwing to them the last two years that they would be considered an elite unit. All things being equal the Bills are almost certainly a top 5 unit and definitely a top 10 unit by anyone looking at this rationally and objectively. Hell, Tom Brady could take our 4-6 as his 1-3 (Hogan, Goodwin and Easley or whoever) and the Patriots would still go 11-5.

You are drinking the off-season Kool Aid. Harvin is two years removed from being a force at WR. Sammy hasn't done it and his production tailed way off toward the end of last year. He hasn't shown he is a number one. Woods averages 640 yards per year and 4 TDs yet you think he is almost number 1? Until all of these guys prove something this WR corp is a paper tiger. I doubt there is a team that thinks oh man we have to stop the Bills WRs to win. Nope, they will have to stop McCoy. The Bills QB will be enough to stop the Bills WRs.

Our WRs have a lot of potential, but it takes a severe case of homerism to think they're even in the conversation for best in the NFL. How many 1000 yd seasons among them? Zero.

And Clay is a nice addition, but the way some of you talk about him you'd think he was Jimmy !@#$in Graham. He's not on that level.

And the QB excuse is just that. We've got a formidable crew, but they've got a lot to prove before we crown their ass.

I sure hope so : )

BOLD

no mention of 7/11

well mine closed a couple years ago.

soory for the miss Petes

What if we swap QB's?

stop with that carzy talk Augie!

Really? I don't see that. Easely's four year contract extension isn't a cap-breaker, but if they cut him this year it's $2.2 million dead money this year; it's only $1.2 next season and under a million in year three.

I think the only locks on the WR corps right now are: Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Easely. There's a battle for the 5th spot between Goodwin, Hogan, Lewis/the rest with Hogan on the outside looking in. They might keep six if they can't stash Lewis on the PS, but I think 5 will be the number.

this is key Greggy. i hope we can. Goodwin goes down( odd are agin it fo sure) then we have a completely different weapon that Defenses need to figure out.

how cool is that!

Our WRs have a lot of potential, but it takes a severe case of homerism to think they're even in the conversation for best in the NFL. How many 1000 yd seasons among them? Zero.

And Clay is a nice addition, but the way some of you talk about him you'd think he was Jimmy !@#$in Graham. He's not on that level.

And the QB excuse is just that. We've got a formidable crew, but they've got a lot to prove before we crown their ass.

geez. and Clay. he just might be of a different ilk. He does not need to split seam for the team to be very effective.

really is tough to isolate the question without considering the whole team. it seems.

yet to be proven. Obviously