5/13: EJ Manuel Talks Bills' QB Competition

5-13: EJ MANUEL ON KISS 98.5 (6:23)

5-13: EJ MANUEL TALKS QB COMPETITION ON WGR (10:27)

@WGR550

Manuel: "I've been told it's a clean slate. These coaches didn't draft me or come in when I was a rookie"

Manuel: "I know (Bills fans) haven't seen what I have to offer"

Manuel: "When I went through, it grew me up. It was true adversity in my playing career.... The competitive edge I have now is crazy"

@hsimon62

asked if he was playing it too safe with his passes, Manuel said I was doing what I was told to do

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg I forgot how much I hate Kiss 98.5

EJ sounds excited to show us what he's got. he better bring it or there is a good chance he doesn't make this team. Rex has a man crush on Tyrod and I doubt we keep EJ if he's a 3rd stringer. interested to see how this competition plays out

Kid was definitely over coached by the previous staff. After the injury they neutered him and that was all Marrone. Guys mentioned Hackett was held back he doesn't seem the type to play it safe. Fresh start for Manuel let the best man win.

@hsimon62

asked if he was playing it too safe with his passes, Manuel said I was doing what I was told to do

this is one i thought i picked up on early in his career. many were killing the guy for throwing uncatchable deep passes, but i have a feeling (and this adds to it) that they were coaching him to put it in a hard to get to spot in order to be safe. it was so consistent in the way/placement that he "missed" with that it felt like he was making the throw as instructed, and it was just a low risk, low chance of reward instruction.

EJ sounds excited to show us what he's got. he better bring it or there is a good chance he doesn't make this team. Rex has a man crush on Tyrod and I doubt we keep EJ if he's a 3rd stringer. interested to see how this competition plays out

EJ is already bought and paid for. if we cut him to sign another 3rd stringer, itd be more expensive. and probably not as talented. we will see though - its a long way to go until september. he could implode, have issues with guys that make it worth moving on.

It would cost Buffalo $3M in cap space to cut him; very unlikely IMO.

Next year his cap figure is unaffected if he's released, so that would be the time.

@WGR550

Manuel: "I've been told it's a clean slate. These coaches didn't draft me or come in when I was a rookie"

Manuel: "When I went through, it grew me up. It was true adversity in my playing career.... The competitive edge I have now is crazy"

@hsimon62

My goodness I want this kid to succeed.

"I was doing what I was told to do" -- this makes perfect sense and echoes what many of us have opined. It also explains the significant improvement in EJ's play when running the 2:00 offense.

Marrone is such a douche. EJ may still not be "the man" but I'm glad he's getting a fair shot with what appear to be good coaches.

this is one i thought i picked up on early in his career. many were killing the guy for throwing uncatchable deep passes, but i have a feeling (and this adds to it) that they were coaching him to put it in a hard to get to spot in order to be safe. it was so consistent in the way/placement that he "missed" with that it felt like he was making the throw as instructed, and it was just a low risk, low chance of reward instruction.

EJ is already bought and paid for. if we cut him to sign another 3rd stringer, itd be more expensive. and probably not as talented. we will see though - its a long way to go until september. he could implode, have issues with guys that make it worth moving on.

Oh--in that case he's a fast learner!

I kid...

EJ has all the tools to be a NFL QB . There were only 2 things that were his down fall when he was coming out in the draft which where the 2 most important .

Accuracy & his ability to read defenses & make the quick decision .

Hopefully his work this offseason has helped him with his accuracy but the decision making can only come when real bullets fly .

I hope for his sake & the Bills future he works out , the only other thing is if he does make the jump his agent will want the Bills to pay a kings ransom to keep him ...

I really hope the light has turned on for him. He's real easy to root for.

That would be nice, but I'm at the "just shut up and show me something" stage with him. The next thing I want to hear out of his mouth is a discussion about how he was able to put everything together and become the successful NFL starting QB we hoped he'd be. Words are totally meaningless at this point and going forward until he makes some real progress.

That would be nice, but I'm at the "just shut up and show me something" stage with him. The next thing I want to hear out of his mouth is a discussion about how he was able to put everything together and become the successful NFL starting QB we hoped he'd be. Words are totally meaningless at this point and going forward until he makes some real progress.

That was exactly his point in both interviews when he said he'd rather show it on the field instead of talking about it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It would cost Buffalo $3M in cap space to cut him; very unlikely IMO.

Next year his cap figure is unaffected if he's released, so that would be the time.

My goodness I want this kid to succeed.

Me too

EJ has all the tools to be a NFL QB . There were only 2 things that were his down fall when he was coming out in the draft which where the 2 most important .

Hopefully his work this offseason has helped him with his accuracy but the decision making can only come when real bullets fly .

I hope for his sake & the Bills future he works out , the only other thing is if he does make the jump his agent will want the Bills to pay a kings ransom to keep him ...

I'd be more than happy to have him play so well that we are forced to pay the man....a QB good enough to pony up some dough for? Yes please!!!!!!!!

id probably not click on links about interviews with him until september then..... in this case it seems the responsibility for fixing the problem of not wanting to hear about it falls on you more than him, as he will have media availability between now and september.

Anyone not realizing that Manuel was the victim of a shoddy coaching staff truly must be blind.

Did he make some dumb mistakes? Yup. Rookies tend to do that.

This is his last chance and I'm cool with that. I just hope he wins the starting job and is able to show what he's got.

He's done everything right. Unfortunately, part of doing what was right was doing what he was told. But he's been incredibly professional and I respect that.

Go EJ and Go Bills.

I wish him the best of luck. While I agree with many here that Cassel has the highest floor of the candidates, EJ's ceiling is much higher.

G-Ro (I am totally using that from now on) is the guy credited with adapting Ault's Pistol formation into something NFL ready, and helped a very raw Kaepernick get to the Super Bowl. If there's anyone who can get EJ at least to game manager level it's him.

I'm pretty sure that's three things.

Of course if he becomes the guy his agent is going to want a big contract. Isn't that the point?

EJ Manuel: Offense won’t be plain vanilla this year

another outlet reporting the same WGR info

One area where he feels offensive coordinator Greg Roman’s scheme is an improvement is in the willingness to take some shots that the Bills weren’t willing to take last season. Manuel thinks “more of those vertical passes will definitely be shown” as the team aims for a less predictable approach.

So, according to EJ, we had a really predictable boring offense, and he was instructed to not take risks. Would kind of explain also how KO looked super aggressive and in command right away, then turned into a giant kitty down the stretch.

EJ Manuel: Offense wont be plain vanilla this year

another outlet reporting the same WGR info

One area where he feels offensive coordinator Greg Romans scheme is an improvement is in the willingness to take some shots that the Bills werent willing to take last season. Manuel thinks more of those vertical passes will definitely be shown as the team aims for a less predictable approach.

We definitely needed to stretch the field more last year. For all the 49ers fan complaints of conservative play calling and predictability, I haven't seen anything as bad what Marrone and Hackett did with those "Spiller up the middle" plays.

So, according to EJ, we had a really predictable boring offense, and he was instructed to not take risks. Would kind of explain also how KO looked super aggressive and in command right away, then turned into a giant kitty down the stretch.

Yes.

Can't be possible. Teams just got tape on Orton and figured out his weaknesses. That's why he tapered off. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Wiz

I started in on the Orton was being neutered mantra about four weeks in.

Thank goodness that Marrone is gone and the Bills will have a real OC running the ship.

@WGR550

@hsimon62

Honestly, the EJ we saw last year was so different IMO and looked like he was totally shackled. I am personally really excited to see this kid this year because he has the physical tools to do some great things, but you can't excel using those gifts if you are always in your head playing restricted.

Perfect example...when I golf, if I get up to the ball and concentrate on every little thing I must do right, it more often than not leads to a marginal or worse shot. I get my best shots when I just take a few practice swings before I get to the box to loosen up and just walk up to the tee, line up, and make a more natural swing.

It really felt like EJ had a lot of "Don't do this, don't do that" in his head when he was playing last year. It was VERY clear when he had chances to scramble and was OVERLY conservative because it was beaten into him not to take chances, not to get hurt. I feel like with Roman and Rex, they are going to not only let this kid play loose but encourage him to play loose. And in the NFL, a fraction of a second can make all the difference in the world. If he's thinking less, the ball comes out quicker...he sees the field better and faster...he becomes more of a 2 dimensional threat with his ability to run...etc etc.

If the kid can play with an edge and with confidence, then I think he can be a good QB in this league. We will never know what he can do or can't do until the kid can be turned loose and play football rather than just be ultra conservative and reserved like the old staff tried to make him be. He may still fail, but at least now he will have a chance to succeed too and I personally think he has the tools to succeed with good coaching.

Honestly, the EJ we saw last year was so different IMO and looked like he was totally shackled. I am personally really excited to see this kid this year because he has the physical tools to do some great things, but you can't excel using those gifts if you are always in your head playing restricted.

Perfect example...when I golf, if I get up to the ball and concentrate on every little thing I must do right, it more often than not leads to a marginal or worse shot. I get my best shots when I just take a few practice swings before I get to the box to loosen up and just walk up to the tee, line up, and make a more natural swing.

It really felt like EJ had a lot of "Don't do this, don't do that" in his head when he was playing last year. It was VERY clear when he had chances to scramble and was OVERLY conservative because it was beaten into him not to take chances, not to get hurt. I feel like with Roman and Rex, they are going to not only let this kid play loose but encourage him to play loose. And in the NFL, a fraction of a second can make all the difference in the world. If he's thinking less, the ball comes out quicker...he sees the field better and faster...he becomes more of a 2 dimensional threat with his ability to run...etc etc.

If the kid can play with an edge and with confidence, then I think he can be a good QB in this league. We will never know what he can do or can't do until the kid can be turned loose and play football rather than just be ultra conservative and reserved like the old staff tried to make him be. He may still fail, but at least now he will have a chance to succeed too and I personally think he has the tools to succeed with good coaching.

It would also be nice to see him with an OL that can get some push in the run game and does something more than throw lookout blocks in the passing game.

Yes, he should literally not give another interview until the end of this season and only then if he had a good year O_o

I mean, we have to get to the season before he can show us something! I'm excited to see what happens with EJ this year, that much is for sure :beer:

I have no clue if EJ will be better or not this year, but I am confident the play designs and blocking will be better, leading to a more successful run hopefully. At the very least he should have a better opportunity to be successful in this environment, and that, by itself, is exciting.

Edited by Dorkington

How could any QB succeed in the freaking NFL with Hackett calling plays?

If EJ fails this year, fine, but as far as I am concerned, he's been handicapped by a moron or two coaching him. Hope he shows us why they drafted him early.

Anyone not realizing that Manuel was the victim of a shoddy coaching staff truly must be blind.

Did he make some dumb mistakes? Yup. Rookies tend to do that.

This is his last chance and I'm cool with that. I just hope he wins the starting job and is able to show what he's got.

He's done everything right. Unfortunately, part of doing what was right was doing what he was told. But he's been incredibly professional and I respect that.

Go EJ and Go Bills.

Thank god. I have been saying this for the last two years, only to be ridiculed by the Hate E.J. Crowd. If he can put it all together he will be a very effective QB. I for one, believe he can/will be OUR franchise QB.

Edited by DirtDart

Agreed. Marrone should not be in the NFL. He is ruining players careers.

EJ is doing a good job of removing any and all safety nets he may have had in place prior to this season.

If he wins the job and then sucks, we'll know it's because he just sucks.

By the way: his well documented many deficiencies aren't the product of bad coaching last year.

This will be obvious to even his most fervent supports in due course.

Don't argue now; wait a while.