RD 6, Pick 188: LB Tony Steward, Clemson

This guy is terrible, nfl.com doesnt event has a grade on him. This is a free agent pick.

He's a five-star recruit, top lb (or olb) in his class, who had many injuries and never quite lived up to his potential. He was around 236 on Fanspeak, fwiw. It's definitely a classic Whaley pick: he loves those five-star recruited underachievers.

He's a five-star recruit, top lb (or olb) in his class, who had many injuries and never quite lived up to his potential. He was around 236 on Fanspeak, fwiw. It's definitely a classic Whaley pick: he loves those five-star recruited underachievers.

Yup, same with KuJo and Seantral.

Sorry for the confusion...

I was asking the other poster if whether or not NFL.com has a grade on him is how we're judging prospects now.

Personally, I'm a "watch every snap of the guy's career that you can possibly get ahold of" type of guy.

im guessing Rex has done that. Familiarity like that is great.

Yup, same with KuJo and Seantral.

Bills now have 4 of Rivals' 2011 top 15 (h/t to post likely about to be merged) and 2 of 2010 top 10 (had 3 as good ol' da'rick was #9 that year)...if they picked La'el in the 7th...(not that I'm advocating anything like that...I'm fired, aren't I?)

Bills now have 4 of Rivals' 2011 top 15 (h/t to post likely about to be merged) and 2 of 2010 top 10 (had 3 as good ol' da'rick was #9 that year)...if they picked La'el in the 7th...(not that I'm advocating anything like that...I'm fired, aren't I?)

DE Ray Drew and WR George Farmer could also up that number

Well, you do eventually

Ha. Nice.

I was just referring to the fact that Rex and Doug must see or know something we don't. It's so early and confusing tht it's hard to not be critical but in the end, it is a flyer on a late round guy, how upset can one person really get if they strike out here

I like this pick a lot. Steward was a five star recruit who blew out his knee his first two seasons. He worked hard to come back from two devastating injuries for a great senior year with 10 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 7 special teams tackles, and 12 QB pressures(which led Clemson and beat out Vic Beasley). He is a great athlete with all the measurables. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by Steward.

I like this pick a lot. Steward was a five star recruit who blew out his knee his first two seasons. He worked hard to come back from two devastating injuries for a great senior year with 10 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 7 special teams tackles, and 12 QB pressures(which led Clemson and beat out Vic Beasley). He is a great athlete with all the measurables. I think we will be pleasantly surprised by Steward.

To me this is low risk high reward type draft selection......

If he is past his injuries...your looking at a beast of a linebacker.....which will allow us to take that LB off our list of needs and concentrate somewhere else

He was the 8th ranked player in America coming out of high school, and the number one rated linebacker. Right now we have the #3 guy (Cyrus K), #5. Karlos Williams, #8, #20 Nick O'Leary.

Incidentally, #9 is La'el Collins. These are all superior athletes. if the guy missed a coupla years with injuries, that means he has more miles left in the tank.

Sammy Watkins was #39 that year.

I can't recall a LB that Whaley drafted that was a bust...

He is 2/2 on early round picks. We don't know what we have in Randell quite yet, but he seemed like a good backup. I don't know what Whaley has planned for this guy, but I can't imagine the expectations are high.

It's just a strange situation. Usually players that achieve a certain level of hype and expectation carry that forward forevermore. The media loves the "how will he recover from injuries?" and "can he regain his past form?" and "which team will stop his slide?" story angles. This guy was at one point a top-10 recruit in the nation, and it seems like no one even knew he existed coming into this draft.

I think it's 50/50 whether or not the ACLs have ruined him completely, or we get a great return on this 6th round investment. Keep in mind they actually picked him before O'Leary, who everyone is so pleased with and who the organization admitted that they think can make a large contribution on offense this year. Should tell you something about the feeling they have about him.

It's just a strange situation. Usually players that achieve a certain level of hype and expectation carry that forward forevermore. The media loves the "how will he recover from injuries?" and "can he regain his past form?" and "which team will stop his slide?" story angles. This guy was at one point a top-10 recruit in the nation, and it seems like no one even knew he existed coming into this draft.

I think it's 50/50 whether or not the ACLs have ruined him completely, or we get a great return on this 6th round investment. Keep in mind they actually picked him before O'Leary, who everyone is so pleased with and who the organization admitted that they think can make a large contribution on offense this year. Should tell you something about the feeling they have about him.

Depending on how the rehab went, maybe he's not quite the same player he was before the injuries, but can still be a decent player. I'm sure another factor is that Clemson hasn't exactly been known for its defense in the Dabo era.