RD 2, Pick 50: DB Ronald Darby, Florida State

SDS

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mayock had him rated lower? Why do teams even employ scouts when they could just go by Mayok's ratings?

Ourlad's (run by some former NFL scouts) had Darby rated 47th in the draft. There ARE other opinions.

The hell you say!

There wasn't a QB, OL, or TE who had a better grade than Darby. I live in FL and have watched him. He's ok, but not a stud.

disappointing, but I'll give Rex and Doug some rope.

If the third round pick isnt the guard from Louisville that rope better be to hang themselves.

Bucky Brooks ‏@BuckyBrooks 32m32 minutes ago

Several scouts that I trust believed @buffalobills new CB Ron Darby is the "real deal". World-class athlete. Crazy upside at CB2 or NDB

Jay Skurski ‏@JaySkurski 8m8 minutes ago

According to Darby's bio handed out by the #Bills, he was targeted once every 10.1 snaps -- the fewest of any cornerback in the draft.

Soooo many sacks coming Buffalo's way. Two Island CB's. I like it

Our scouts and last couple drafts have been good. I expected/wanted Maxx Williams, but I have no reason not to trust us...

I am fine with BPA and honestly you can't have enough DBs

That's where I am. Not celebrating but I'm ok

If we were gonna take a smaller DB I would have taken senquez Golson from ole miss. He can track the ball well

He's 7 lbs. heavier than the first corner taken in the draft and only an inch shorter, but has longer arms.

His athleticism can't be ignored, either. Highest vertical at 41.5", 4.38 40, 10' 7" broad jump and an impressive 15 reps in the bench. Given this staff's previous affection for press corners that can run, I'm not surprised at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Drafting is like buying a car. Ask 32 people what kind of car they want and for what purposes and with what amenities/qualities and you'll have different rankings. Darby seems to be ranked right around where he was picked so it's not a talent question as much as need, and I still would argue that CB is always a need when you have McKelvin and Graham.

He's 7 lbs. heavier than the first corner taken in the draft and only an inch shorter, but has longer arms.

His athleticism can't be ignored, either. Highest vertical at 41.5", 4.38 40, 10' 7" broad jump and an impressive 15 reps in the bench. Given this staff's previous affection for press corners that can run, I'm not surprised at all.

GO BILLS!!!

Standard height means little to me - you gotta factor in the arms and leaping ability. It's why the 6'10" Olajuwon played like he was 7'1". Edited by dave mcbride

Surprised by this pick.. don't see as a position of need. I'lll give Whaley the benefit of the doubt that the O line will be solidified somewhere else. Either internally or via a later pick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6e2kRrXIw

I kinda like him after watching this. He didnt get many picks, but created tons of chances. Looks like a good tackler too.

Did leroi pick it? If so, kudos to him.

Yup. Couple days ago.

I agree with what you said, too. In a year or two I may love this guy, and he will probably be very good. And by the time the season starts I think between Pegula, Whaley, Rex, Roman and Kromer our OL will be better than it seems now. If they don't draft an OL in round 2-3 I expect them to acquire a veteran starter somewhere before the season. So it's not that bad. But I thought we could have got a couple different things done here I would have liked more. it's just an opinion.

A couple of points:

1. I am not sure what people did not understand about "best player available" but Whaley has been saying this for quite some time. No position selected should have been a surprise.

2. As far as DB is concerned, it is questionable whether they will be able to retain Gilmore after next year, McKelvin is also closer to the end than the beginning and expensive, and Graham is at the tail end of his career. Despite everyone's love of Robey, and I get it, he is not a starting CB in this league, not even a number 3. Cockerel is filler. Yes, the Bills need a good DB to groom.

3. I know nothing of this player, which I am certain is the same level of knowledge of virtually every other poster here. Excuse me, but I defer to the people who do this for a living.

4. Nor sure what people were expecting at pick 50 - hot sex?

I think this does fill a need. We will see if he can play.

Edited by MDFan

Ok...I realized I'm a bit annoyed at the moment, so apologies to anyone who caught the wrong end of my vitriol.

I just don't like this pick, and I'm normally the guy that can Viktor Frankl nearly any draft choice.

I want to hear why.

I want to hear why.

"The Bills are already pretty stacked at corner. They have Leodis McKelvin and Stephon Gilmore. Darby is a quick-footed, fiesty corner. However, he has struggled to find the football with his back to the quarterback." -- Mike Mayock

SOURCES TELL US

"I worry about his toughness against the run. He's just fine in coverage, but he will have teams running at him every chance they get until he proves he's willing to step up and be tough." -- ACC assistant coach

Edited by Lurker

I honestly think that this is one of those situations where no one on the board knows anything about the player (myself included). My suggestion is not to pontificate unless you have a remotely educated opinion.

this is me. The more I look into it the more I like it. He fits what Rex wants to do. I definitely overreacted. We still have more picks to fill needs.

Didn't Whaley get the same **** when he drafted Kiko....lets just say he Forgets more football than most of you will ever know. Relax people.

Ask and ye shall receive: "Keiko Alonzo yet other higher rated guys on the board looks like a panic and a reach."

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/157800-rd-2-pick-46-lb-kiko-alonso-oregon/?hl=kiko

I love reading the opinions of the astute talent evaluators. No matter what, the masses will never be happy. I actually watched this kid play, and believe they got good value at the 50th pick...so sorry he wasn't sexy enough for all the Mel Kiper Juniors on this board. Sheesh.

Edited by chiefbigtalljoe

<p>

ESPN on Darby:

• What he brings: He's something of a risk due to some off-field issues and his questionable awareness in zone coverage and habit for guessing too much in man coverage. But he has the fluidity and top-end speed to turn and run with the fastest receivers -- his movement skills remind us of Janoris Jenkins.
  • How he fits: Darby has one of best pure cover skills in this year's cornerback class and is a strong fit within Dennis Thurman's press-man scheme. Darby has the mirror skills to hold up on an island, which is exactly what Rex Ryan wants in order to execute the heavy amount of blitz packages he traditionally dials up.

Very encouraging! I really wanted Janoris Jenkins and any receiver with mirror skills is a plus. We haven't had that since Jabari Greer but we really couldn't find a trade down buddy

Edited by Agent 91

QB's avoided him. That's a good sign for how Rex likes to play.

I'm gonna get flamed but what if he actually became that shut down guy everyone wants Gilmore to be

Edited by Agent 91