London game will be streamed on Yahoo

I give it until the opening kickoff before the number of viewing streams outstrips expectations and most of us get a screen that hickups, buffers, or otherwise degrades into something unwatchable. I put the chances of being able to successfully watch the entire game at less than 5%. I see this every year with fantasy football - it takes weeks for the various sites to understand they underestimated how many people would be hitting the systems and to correctly size the back end hardware to support it - I don't see TV as any different and we are the initial guinea pigs. I hope I'm wrong about this.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give it until the opening kickoff before the number of viewing streams outstrips expectations and most of us get a screen that hickups, buffers, or otherwise degrades into something unwatchable. I put the chances of being able to successfully watch the entire game at less than 5%. I see this every year with fantasy football - it takes weeks for the various sites to understand they underestimated how many people would be hitting the systems and to correctly size the back end hardware to support it - I don't see TV as any different and we are the initial guinea pigs. I hope I'm wrong about this.

I will burn Yahoo to the ground.

I'm not sure which compression software the NFL uses for their pre-season games but I haven't had good experiences streaming those. You have to hope, especially with how much money Yahoo is spending for these rights, that they use PiedPiper's platform.

Edited by Standing>Charging

I'm not sure which compression software the NFL uses for their pre-season games but I haven't had good experiences streaming those. You have to hope, especially with how much money Yahoo is spending for these rights, that they use Pide Piper's platform.

Was going to say the same, I get the preseason package AND DTV online and while not perfect, it's not a complete disaster either. Upgrading to Xfinity "blast Internet" helped for sure, my home web speed is off the charts (pins the Speedtest.net)!

Great PiedPiper reference :beer:

Given the high profile and publicity surrounding this first of a kind internet broadcasting event, I'm sure the league & Yahoo will do everything in their power to over-engineer the stream.

Given the high profile and publicity surrounding this first of a kind internet broadcasting event, I'm sure the league & Yahoo will do everything in their power to over-engineer the stream.

I'm not so sure. I've been playing fantasy at CBS for about 15 years and get charged $159/year to keep my league site there. Despite this, and the fact that they know precisiely how many leagues and teams they have signed up, they screw up every single year and live scoring crashes because they somehow had much higher demand on the system than they anticipated. If CBS can do this year after year (I think we are moving to another site this year) and we are only talking about concurrent connections to a Java app I can easily see another company completely screw up a live video feed. It won't take too much for a football broadcast to become unwatchable - data loss and pixlization suck when you're waching a concert or a press conference - they'll downright kill a footbball game if you can't see the ball or whether someone's feet are in or out. In the end, even if you and I get stuck with a game we can't watch, the reports will say "depite a much larger than expected audience, only a few minor technical problems were reported" (like me going postal on my computer). I hope I am wrong, but seeing as this is a first I think we get screwed and it becomes "a learning experience" - there's a reason the first game is 2 small market teams playing in London at 9am EST/6am PST.

I'm not sure which compression software the NFL uses for their pre-season games but I haven't had good experiences streaming those. You have to hope, especially with how much money Yahoo is spending for these rights, that they use PiedPiper's platform.

It's the first online-only game, but not the first stream of an NFL game. Super Bowl 49 handled 1.3 million streams at the peak. World cup games beat that number. Will Bills Jags generate that much interest online, especially since the biggest audiences for each team will be able to see it on regular TV? Since it's only one game, I don't think it will be that difficult

I'm not optomistic. Yahoo has been horrible about fixing things that aren't real time and pretty unsuccessful with some areas that are. For example, go to Yahoo Sports and click on the box score for a baseball game in progress. Note that the score and inning you saw before clicking on the box. When the box opens it is usually for an earlier inning. It eventually refreshes to be current but somtimes is unstable. This has been an issue for a couple years. It's not as bad as it was initially where you could watch it constantly changing from current time to earlier part of the game but still annoying.

I guess they can stream a preseason game to evaluate and correct some issues but there's no way to simulate what this London game will really be like. I hope they can figure it out but I'm not looking forward to a pleasant experience. Being on the West coast, I will also have to get up at 6 to watch.

sucks for people with data caps

Data caps ruined the functionality of phones, and given the same quarter they will ruin the functionality of home internet. When possible they should be opposed on all fronts. If the provider cannot support so many customers then they should not have that many customers. It is utter BS to lower the quality of service for your customers, because you don't have the infrastructure to support them. This pisses me off quite a bit.

Ok, I'm very deficient in this area (among others according to my kids - just kidding), if I have the Yahoo App on my internet TV, i can simply do a search and find it right?

Thanks for any streaming advice for dummies just to make sure I'm good. I'd rather not have to watch on the laptop.

Ok, I'm very deficient in this area (among others according to my kids - just kidding), if I have the Yahoo App on my internet TV, i can simply do a search and find it right?

Thanks for any streaming advice for dummies just to make sure I'm good. I'd rather not have to watch on the laptop.

good question, I have an Apple TV. Wondering i can just watch it on the yahoo app.

@john_kucko

The #Bills #Jaguars London game will be free on Yahoo. Will NOT be televised in Rochester, only Buf/Jax #BillsMafia

CGlvJHcUgAAJQe9.jpg

So if its not in Rochester its not on the Elmira station for Horseheads....THANKS ROG!

This!!!!

It's the first online-only game, but not the first stream of an NFL game. Super Bowl 49 handled 1.3 million streams at the peak. World cup games beat that number. Will Bills Jags generate that much interest online, especially since the biggest audiences for each team will be able to see it on regular TV? Since it's only one game, I don't think it will be that difficult

I believe the Superbowl was on NBC, not Yahoo. Big difference.

Is it more expensive for cable providers to stream a HD program on there internet or TV channel ?

They wanted to charge a lot more for high internet usage (cap) but met with resistance.

For the past few years, I have been watching NFL games on HD through live streaming from NFL gamepass and I have not had issues with buffering...I am 10K miles away from the live game. Networks now have the capacity to deal with this. The fear would be is this might be a boon for the service providers. My local provider caps my 20 Mbps link at 80G of data per month. After that I have to pay for every bit of transmission. A 3 hour HD NFL game is around 10+ GB and that doesn't give much chance if you are playing xbox online etc.

Is it more expensive for cable providers to stream a HD program on there internet or TV channel ?

They wanted to charge a lot more for high internet usage (cap) but met with resistance.

They do this in India. It is a gold mine for the service provider.

This is bigger than a lot of people realize. Sure it's two teams playing at a non prime hour with relatively small fanbases. But they (the NFL) want to prove to satellite/cable providers that they don't need them and that there are other options. The league and Yahoo are going to be doing everything possible to make sure this goes off without a hitch.

I believe the Superbowl was on NBC, not Yahoo. Big difference.

You're right there's a difference. Who do you think has better Internet infrastructure Yahoo or NBC?

You're right there's a difference. Who do you think has better Internet infrastructure Yahoo or NBC?

I can't help but envision the scene of Hooli's failed livestream of an ultimate fighting championship on "Silicon Valley" from a couple of episodes ago. Goodell will play the real-life Gavin Belson.

Ha - beat me to it!

Edited by dave mcbride

For the past few years, I have been watching NFL games on HD through live streaming from NFL gamepass and I have not had issues with buffering...I am 10K miles away from the live game. Networks now have the capacity to deal with this. The fear would be is this might be a boon for the service providers. My local provider caps my 20 Mbps link at 80G of data per month. After that I have to pay for every bit of transmission. A 3 hour HD NFL game is around 10+ GB and that doesn't give much chance if you are playing xbox online etc.

It's not the distance from the game, it's the number of systems requesting a stream. In a subscription model this can work - you know how many people are subscribed and can figure out what the demand will be (and even then people often don't project correctly and make the system too small). With this being open to the general public - anyone who has any interest in watching the game or taking part in this great "experiment" will be watching and I have a terrible feeling the back end infrastructure isn't going to handle the load. The folks who end up getting hosed are the fans like us sitting in front of their computers and watching them buffer with no other option to see the game - it'll be great.

• 3 weeks later...

HDMI also sends audio so just the one cable would be necessary.

Right...just run an HDMI chord from your laptop (or whatever device you will be using) to your 52 inch screen, and you can watch the game on your big screen with little fuss...I do it all the time with NFL Rewind.

I'll be pretty pissed if DTV Sunday ticket doesn't come through with this one, especially if I hear a commercial saying "watch every out of market game" I live on the west coast, and after getting off work at a second job at 2am, I don't see myself waking up at 6am and dinking around with my computer. If they want to stream the game, great. That's awesome for all the people who don't pay to watch every out of market game. I pay pretty good money every year for Sunday ticket and dvr, with the only reason being to watch the bills play every Sunday.

I'll be pretty pissed if DTV Sunday ticket doesn't come through with this one, especially if I hear a commercial saying "watch every out of market game" I live on the west coast, and after getting off work at a second job at 2am, I don't see myself waking up at 6am and dinking around with my computer. If they want to stream the game, great. That's awesome for all the people who don't pay to watch every out of market game. I pay pretty good money every year for Sunday ticket and dvr, with the only reason being to watch the bills play every Sunday.

Ain't happening on this one....this sucker is stream only. This is a huge experiment for them, and having the option to watch on TV negates the research value. I am hoping they commit to putting a replay of the game up sometime on Sunday though....as I also DVR almost 100 % of games to watch later Sunday.

MLB streams games every single year. I dropped the MLB extra innings package last year and now watch all my games on MLB.TV. Live streaming is not a big deal in this day and age. If the NFL can't pull this off, it is on them. The technology is in place to make this look just like any other game. If people have a smart tv, they should be able to stream directly from their computer to the TV with no problem.

It's not DirecTV's call. The NFL owns the rights to the games and can do what they want.

MLB streams games every single year. I dropped the MLB extra innings package last year and now watch all my games on MLB.TV. Live streaming is not a big deal in this day and age. If the NFL can't pull this off, it is on them. The technology is in place to make this look just like any other game. If people have a smart tv, they should be able to stream directly from their computer to the TV with no problem.

This isn't quite the same but I watch Bills preseason games on NFL.com. Quality is excellent.

It's not DirecTV's call. The NFL owns the rights to the games and can do what they want.

This isn't quite the same but I watch Bills preseason games on NFL.com. Quality is excellent.

DirecTV does use the statement 'Every out of market game' though, which may have gotten them in trouble. Isn't there a class action lawsuit about that going on right now?

DirecTV does use the statement 'Every out of market game' though, which may have gotten them in trouble. Isn't there a class action lawsuit about that going on right now?

No,that is focused on having to buy the whole package instead of just one teams games.

Actually.... NBC hired Microsoft to do it. I know because there are folks in building 44 across the street that worked on it, and they worked their butts off to make sure nothing happened during the event. It's the same group that did the Olympics streaming for NBC - Azure Media. NBC/Comcast also has the benefit of being an ISP for a great number of Americans, meaning they can packet shape and give priority to their traffic. You won't get that with Yahoo.

The only event I can remember Yahoo hosting online was the NCAA tournament a few years back... and that was continually buffering for me. Compression technology has come a long way since then, but I'm still skeptical.

Has Yahoo ever streamed a live game of any kind? I know they havent streamed any live NFL games but not sure if they have any other games

either way I think this is going to be an epic fail as there is no way they will get this right the first time so I am expecting this feed to be a mess

the right way to do this would be to have them test it out on a few games maybe even in the preseason before being the only stream for a game that a lot of people will be watching since it will be the only game available

Edited by Max997

In the fine print on the website ...

Blackout rules and other conditions apply. NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX consists of all out-of-market NFL games (based on customer’s service address) broadcast on FOX and CBS.
Edited by CodeMonkey

• 1 month later...

When Yahoo broadcasts the Bills and Jags in London, equipment-wise and staff-wise, how will they do it? Broadcast networks have experienced play-by-play guys. They also have remote production facilities. How does a web company pull all that together out of the blue?