Inside Info Brandon Spikes at the Lafayette

jletha

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that he doesn't want him, he just doesn't fit his scheme. Rex runs a 3-4 and the ILB's have to be athletic, especially on our team, because our "OLB" are going to be our DE's (Hughes, Mario) and they will want them rushing the passer as much as possible. That leaves coverage responsibilities on the ILB on passing downs.

43underpettine_medium.png

This pic shows Rex's typical defensive front. There are 3 down lineman and the ends are actually OLB's. In this pic, Mario (on the left end) has his hand in the ground which would make the offense think he is rushing. However, it may be a disguise and he might actually be acting as a LB and have responsibilities for passes in the flats. The offense won't know until the ball is snapped. But if he is rushing the passer (which is what we pay Mario to do) then that would leave pass coverage responsibilities to that ILB so you need someone who can cover some ground in case the QB throws a quick swing pass to the flats. Spikes has shown that he can't do that and is an easy target to pick on when he is in the game. If the QB sees Mario rush then that FB or HB can run a pass route vs that LB so you need a LB that is good enough in coverage to be able to take that play away. Bradham is super athletic and Brown is athletic enough. Spikes just is not and would fit much better in a 4-3 where he can just play the middle of the field and not have to chase RB's into the flats

there are so many more possibilities than just the MLB to cover the flat. The safety could come up. The corner could have the responsibility. If playing in zone where he(MLB) just basically has to be in front of the RB and tackle him after the catch spikes will be fine. There are ways to scheme around a players weakness.

if Harris and Bart Scott fit Rex's scheme than Brandon does just fine.

Edited by kr632

Look no farther than the offensive side of the ball and Fred Jackson. Not the one year, league minimum part but the part time player/heart and soul aspects.

He was also with the team for how long to get there? They got to root for him by watching him bust his butt to earn every opportunity and then make the most of each, I'm not saying spikes isn't capable of filling that even as a part time player, it just popped in my head as an interesting dynamic.

Spikes will be sitting home until after the draft... But with the injury to Hightower, don't be surprised to see him with the Pats opening day....

haha people would definitely be surprised. there's no chance of that

@viccarucci: What's left for #Bills in 2nd/3rd phases of FA market? "Maybe get a vet WR," GM Doug Whaley says. "Hopefully get Brandon Spikes back."

Another WR?

That doesn't sound good for Goodwin!

I do take these "we're all done" comments with a grain of salt however. Hopefully this is Whaley playing it cool and getting FAs, including Spikes, to accept we don't have money budgeted for them as a negotiating tactic.

I think a WR is the last thing we need. We only have Harvin for 1 year but you can get another guy in FA next year seeing as how guys like Brandon Marshall can be had for 5th round picks.

He's probably talking about as backups to add depth but I think Hogan adds depth for Harvin and Woods and maybe they think they need 1 more guy for cheap but I don't think it should be a priority. Goodwin isn't a real WR imo and will probably be cut. I said it when they drafted him and people on here yelled at me. He's a gimmick and he's too small for the NFL (as shown by how he gets hurt every time he gets tackled). He should stick to track and field.

I think they are hoping Spikes comes back for cheap as he is a good run stuffing presence and another leader on the defensive side. If they want to talk about building a bully then Spikes add that smash mouth type of play to your team for run plays and short yardage situations

I think a WR is the last thing we need. We only have Harvin for 1 year but you can get another guy in FA next year seeing as how guys like Brandon Marshall can be had for 5th round picks.

He's probably talking about as backups to add depth but I think Hogan adds depth for Harvin and Woods and maybe they think they need 1 more guy for cheap but I don't think it should be a priority. Goodwin isn't a real WR imo and will probably be cut. I said it when they drafted him and people on here yelled at me. He's a gimmick and he's too small for the NFL (as shown by how he gets hurt every time he gets tackled). He should stick to track and field.

I think they are hoping Spikes comes back for cheap as he is a good run stuffing presence and another leader on the defensive side. If they want to talk about building a bully then Spikes add that smash mouth type of play to your team for run plays and short yardage situations

Just to clarify.

Crabtree, Denarius Moore, Miles austin, Greg Jennings,Hakeem nicks, Nate Washington.

Oh, you said decent. I don't know If any of those guys add value.

The old guy, Nate, is the best of the lot. Still remember him beating us in the 4th Q -last minute I think.

@viccarucci: What's left for #Bills in 2nd/3rd phases of FA market? "Maybe get a vet WR," GM Doug Whaley says. "Hopefully get Brandon Spikes back."

Another WR?

I think they still want the "throw it up to" guy. Brandon Marshall would've been that guy. They need somebody like that.

You think WR isn't a need because Marshall was had for a 5th round pick? I think you might be leaving out the part about his 10M per contract.

Edited by Triple Threat

If only Funchess is there at #50. But Blake Bell should be considered in the 3rd rd at 6'6"

i think he could be there. He's a tweener and too slow to go higher as a WR but doesn't have the NFL TE body yet. He also still has a toe injury and not the greatest hands. I like him with that size though in the slot and red zone as a big WR. Just couldn't play him on the outside. Edited by YoloinOhio

i think he could be there. He's a tweener and too slow to go higher as a WR but doesn't have the NFL TE body yet. He also still has a toe injury and not the greatest hands. I like him with that size though in the slot and red zone as a big WR. Just couldn't play him on the outside.

Has there ever been a lateral to a TE who then threw a forward pass in the NFL? Bell could be the first & we know how much Rex loves gadget players.

Has there ever been a lateral to a TE who then threw a forward pass in the NFL? Bell could be the first & we know how much Rex loves gadget players.

i was talking about Funchess there, but you bring up a good point about Blake Bell in that we currently have a TE who played qb in college - marquiese Grey. Let him throw!

The TE double pass is something I've been screaming for for years. It is the missing link. A TE double pass would have taken us to the playoffs on numerous accounts.

For the love of God spend our top pick on a capable TE double passer, PLEASE

The TE double pass is something I've been screaming for for years. It is the missing link. A TE double pass would have taken us to the playoffs on numerous accounts.

Yes, that's exactly what I said Fluff. Thanks for clarifying it for everyone.

Everything else they've tried for the last 20 years hasn't worked - bring on the Funchize!

Edited by Coach Tuesday

• 2 weeks later...

judging by this guy's twitter, he really, really wants to be back in a bills uniform. perhaps he'd be willing to take a discount to stay in buffalo (probably the only way we could afford him as a role-player, albeit a locker room guy) - maybe whaley's counting on that.

1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png1f602.png I'm dying right now !!! Yall should see this group msg I'm in with the Hommies Mario & jerry lmao #Epic

face it dude, you want to come back so bad you'll take the minimum contract...

^i don't think the emojis are quite big enough

Edited by johnwalter