FA QB Chase Daniel

5 years veteran who backed up Drew Brees and Alex Smith. Got to learn the ins and outs of both Sean Payton and Andy Reids offenses. Limited in game experience.

Played week 17 verses the chargers and went 16/27 for 157 in a win. In 2013 started 1 game going 20/30 for 200 yds 1 TD.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himeslf seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

Edited by TallskiWallski83

5 years veteran who backed up Drew Brees and Alex Smith. Got to learn the ins and outs of both Sean Payton and Andy Reids offenses. Limited in game experience.

Played week 17 verses the chargers and went 16/27 for 157 in a win. In 2013 started 1 game going 20/30 for 200 yds 1 TD.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himeslf seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

eh

Game manager? Can we get rid of that description? Don't all QBs manage the game?

I get the distinction. Basically, there are QBs who can take over a game with their arms and put the team on their backs to win, regardless of what happens in the other phases. You know who those guys are. Then there are QBs who can lead a team to victory if the other phases are all doing their jobs by not turning the ball over, relying on a strong run game, play action passes, and capable of making a clutch play when needed.Alex Smith types.

Not another Rob Johnson....

? Edited by YoloinOhio

I like Chase quite a bit as a guy that has potential to be an Alex Smith type. He was Brees' shadow in New Orleans. They were ultra competitive and Chase followed him everywhere. He showed well in his limited action and has learned under some great teachers. I could see him turning into like a Nick Foles or a Alex Smith. His talent keeps his ceiling lower than the elite guys but he is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

I like Chase quite a bit as a guy that has potential to be an Alex Smith type. He was Brees' shadow in New Orleans. They were ultra competitive and Chase followed him everywhere. He showed well in his limited action and has learned under some great teachers. I could see him turning into like a Nick Foles or a Alex Smith. His talent keeps his ceiling lower than the elite guys but he is certainly worth kicking the tires on.

If he is an accurate short to mid-range passer then he is better than what we have. If he can go through his reads quickly and know where to go with the ball then he is an upgrade.

As you noted he has limitations. If he didn't have some limitations he would be an entrenched starter somewhere else. Looking back at last season if the Bills had competent play at the qb position the complexion of the season would have been much different. Does anyone have any doubt that even with average qb play the Bills would have had at least another win or possibly two games? If that would have been the case the complexion of the past season would have been seen in a much more positive light.

Without a doubt there are no great options in the free agent qb market or trade market. But that doesn't mean that a solid option can't be added to the roster that will make this team more competitive. Whaley made last year's trade up for Watkins with the expectation that it would have been a difference maker for this franchise. It didn't work out the way he expected because of the void at qb. If he wants to get a better return on that Watkins deal he needs to have someone capable of getting him the ball.

Edited by JohnC

I could see him turning into another Chase Daniel. One word. Journeyman. We don't need another journeyman at the helm of this team. We've tried it too many damned times in the last 15 years and it has consistently FAILED.

Is he a little mobile & is he accurate ?

I could see him turning into another Chase Daniel. One word. Journeyman. We don't need another journeyman at the helm of this team. We've tried it too many damned times in the last 15 years and it has consistently FAILED.

He has the EXACT qualities that you would look for (just limited physically). Accurate, tough, smart, well coached and he goes through his progressions quickly. Many here thought that he would be next in line after Brees but he wasn't waiting around that long. There is nothing journeyman about him. He signed a nice contract to go backup in KC and that is why he went. He just hasn't gotten a chance. I've seen quite a bit of him compared to most here (outside of the Mizzou people) and he has a chance. Would I say that it is likely that he becomes a franchise guy -no. With that being said at this point I give him as good a chance as a lot of the guys that we are talking about including EJ. I would much rather Chase than Ponder, Gabbert, Flynn and some others mentioned.

i think this would be an EJ, Chase, and someone else (either high/mid pick or vet) situation where all 3 would be fighting for the top spot. i dont think anyone wants to sign chase and hand him the job.

Is he a little mobile & is he accurate ?

Yep

i think this would be an EJ, Chase, and someone else (either high/mid pick or vet) situation where all 3 would be fighting for the top spot. i dont think anyone wants to sign chase and hand him the job.

You saw/read a lot about him. What are your thoughts?

Yep

You saw/read a lot about him. What are your thoughts?

i wouldnt bet on him, but you could certainly do worse and he could do well.

if it were him and EJ, id really want a 3rd option, as opposed to some out there where id feel less concerned with that.

he has a little boom or bust potential. i agree that he could be an alex smith, but he could end up being a disaster too. itd almost make EJ our known floor/worst case for the position based on CDs lack of playing time where a moore or hoyer probably doesnt have as much upside but is more known/established.

Edited by NoSaint

i wouldnt bet on him, but you could certainly do worse and he could do well.

if it were him and EJ, id really want a 3rd option, as opposed to some out there where id feel less concerned with that.

he has a little boom or bust potential. i agree that he could be an alex smith, but he could end up being a disaster too. itd almost make EJ our known floor/worst case for the position based on CDs lack of playing time where a moore or hoyer probably doesnt have as much upside but is more known/established.

That's kind of how I feel. I think that his floor is a little higher than you though (not that I think that it's high). I see a worst case scenario as Hoyer last year and his ceiling as Smith. I think that he is more likely to be Hoyer than Smith though.

That's kind of how I feel. I think that his floor is a little higher than you though (not that I think that it's high). I see a worst case scenario as Hoyer last year and his ceiling as Smith. I think that he is more likely to be Hoyer than Smith though.

fair enough - i dont think thats unreasonable as a guessed range. for me given 16 games back there we just dont know how bad it could possibly end up but probably have a sense of the high end. its the risk with some of those never really played late pick/udfa guys that weve only seen in preseason/mop up/short windows. id probably say the same floor for any of them, so it wasnt anything Chase specific that worried me.

hoyer is a similar type of guy though, so i think hes a fair comp point but i might assess him more like spring 2013 hoyer than the known quantity today if that makes sense. good intangibles, some nice skills, spent time learning and probably wont be your guy, but could have some potential. a really nice piece to add to the mix but not something i would count on.

Edited by NoSaint

Matt Moore QB 30 MIA TBD $5,500,000 UFA Jake Locker QB 26 TEN TBD $4,004,637 UFA Kyle Orton QB 32 BUF TBD $4,000,000 UFA Michael Vick QB 34 NYJ TBD $4,000,000 UFA Matt Hasselbeck QB 39 IND TBD $3,750,000 UFA Christian Ponder QB 26 MIN TBD $3,232,313 UFA Mark Sanchez QB 28 PHI TBD $2,250,000 UFA Blaine Gabbert QB 25 SF TBD $2,011,587 UFA Shaun Hill QB 35 STL TBD $1,750,000 UFA Jason Campbell QB 33 CIN TBD $1,500,000 UFA Tarvaris Jackson QB 31 SEA TBD $1,250,000 UFA Brian Hoyer QB 29 CLE TBD $1,250,000 UFA Matt Flynn QB 29 GB TBD $1,078,750 UFA Ryan Mallett QB 26 HOU TBD $776,976 UFA Tyrod Taylor QB 25 BAL TBD $671,327 UFA T.J. Yates QB 27 ATL TBD $645,000 UFA Scott Tolzien QB 27 GB TBD $645,000 UFA Jimmy Clausen QB 27 CHI TBD $645,000 UFA Joe Webb QB 28 CAR TBD $635,000 UFA Dan Orlovsky QB 31 DET TBD $635,000 UFA Luke McCown QB 33 NO TBD $635,000 UFA Colt McCoy QB 28 WAS TBD $635,000 UFA Kellen Moore QB 25 DET TBD $576,668 RFA Austin Davis QB 25 STL TBD $570,000 RFA Josh Johnson QB 28 SF TBD $335,294 UFA Matt Simms QB 26 NYJ TBD $262,058 RFA Ryan Lindley QB 25 ARI TBD $234,706 UFA Jordan Palmer QB 30 TEN TBD $67,058 UFA Case Keenum QB 26 HOU TBD $58,235 UFA Tyler Thigpen QB 30 CLE TBD $33,529 UFA Kyle Newhall-Caballero QB 26 OAK TBD - RFA G.J. Kinnie QB NYJ TBD - RFA Tyler Hansen QB 25 CIN TBD - RFA Chester Stewart QB 26 BAL TBD - RFA

These are the FA QBs and the cap hit numbers.

Good mobility. Limited arm talent, more of a game manager type. Never has been given the starting job and should be looking for one on the open market if he takes himself seriously (What competitor doesnt want a shot after 5 years). Could come as a cheap option for competition for EJ. Thoughts?

Chase Daniel is scheduled to get $3.7M from KC this year. Which is a lot for a guy who has attempted 75 passes and started 2 games in the NFL. They have Terrelle Pryor and rookie Aaron Murray on the roster, so it's possible KC will try to flip Daniel or cut him if they think either of those is ready to take the reins.

Daniel is another one of these "doesn't look like you want your QB to look" short-type QB. He must show something in camp and practice to win a 3 year contract. I can't see NO keeping him around to be a "game manager" for 3 years; usually you expect the backup to be able to step up and play the starter's game. Arm strength can improve....

The real question is does he want a chance to start, and does he have anything? Aaron Kromer was OL coach in NO when Daniel was there, so he should know as well as anyone.

But he's not a FA, and I wouldn't be in a hurry to trade for a $3.7M guy who has thrown 75 passes in the NFL.

"Chase" is not a QB name.

Re-sign Tank Carder and see if he can throw the ball.

Maybe B/lo can do what they did with Peters & George WIlson & change him to a LB or a CB then it would fit ...

What happened to Tyler Bray from Tenn. i thought he was in KC at one point ??