ANYONE ELSE HAVE SYMPATHY FOR HACKETT?

He still has two years on his contract to fall back on if he doesn't get another job, but I don't think that will be the case. Contrary to popular opinion here, I like the designs of his passing schemes. Too many guys running open too often to suggest otherwise both in '13 and last season.

GO BILLS!!!

He still has two years on his contract to fall back on if he doesn't get another job, but I don't think that will be the case. Contrary to popular opinion here, I like the designs of his passing schemes. Too many guys running open too often to suggest otherwise both in '13 and last season.

GO BILLS!!!

i asked this before but didnt see or find an answer. You may know. i know HC contracts are guaranteed. Are coordinator contracts and position contracts guaranteed too? With offsets?

Yes , his schemes may work with a qb but was villafied because he was overmatched . But .. Marrone may have held him back and jhad he won Oakland kc or Miami he may have blossomed and matured into a competent play caller ..his scripted plays seemed great

Glad we have experience now and his non scripted plays blew but anyway..

i asked this before but didnt see or find an answer. You may know. i know HC contracts are guaranteed. Are coordinator contracts and position contracts guaranteed too? With offsets?

They are and with the offset language included.

GO BILLS!!!

Hackett is the guy who called four straight passes at the end of the Chiefs game, right?

Whoever called those plays had open receivers on three of them, too. Orton screwed the pooch, not the play calls. That's not a defense of Hackett so much as an indication that the plays were there to be made. We'll never know if running the ball was a better call in that situation, it may well have been. But given our ineptitude and the new franchise low bar for running the ball, I can understand why we were reluctant to try it.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah I kind of feel bad for him based on things stated by Fred Jackson makes it sound like the issues may have been more with Marrone than on him.

One thing I do wonder about. There were many here my self included that felt if Marrone stayed he needed to dump Hackett, but many also thought and commented that "he'd never fire his buddy Nate" Well from everything being stated about Marrone now, I think he'd have fired him in a second if it saved his own skin and kept him employed.

Whoever called those plays had open receivers on three of them, too. Orton screwed the pooch, not the play calls. That's not a defense of Hackett so much as an indication that the plays were there to be made. We'll never know if running the ball was a better call in that situation, it may well have been. But given our ineptitude and the new franchise low bar for running the ball, I can understand why we were reluctant to try it.

GO BILLS!!!

Orton sucked that game, and the OC should know that. There was zero reason to do it. Jim Kelly said the exact same thing the next day on 97 Rock that I was saying after that game.

I like the guy a lot. I think Fred and the offense liked him too. Enthusiastic likable guy that had his fire peed on by Douglas Morrone. Marrone was way too involved and screwed up the Oline and the QB situation. I don't know how good or bad he is because I don't even think we saw "his" offense. We saw Marrone starting the guys who didn't piss him off or just nodded their head yes. Not much to do with Hackett. Whaley would bring 'em in, Marrone would complain and not play them and Hackett dealt with what ever was remaining.

It was just a case of a guy being in over his head. A lack of talent combined with a bad head coach tanked the guy. He probably should have been brought on at a lower level position and brought along slowly. The guy is going to get another job but it sucked that his big break was a little too soon for him.

Edited by billsfan89

The only thing that stinks for him is he lost his job to backfired Marrone's power play.

The flip side is many including me could have made the argurment he needed to be replaced with an upgrade anyway...

Still as many point out its hard to ever really feel bad for someone who will at least earn very healthy six figures coaching a collegiate or a pro sport.

I like his enthusiasm. I've been critical of him and I am happy he's not our OC. That being said, I wouldn't mind him staying on in some fashion, just not running the offense. Seems like a good guy and the players may really like him (or might not).

Frankly, it is impossible to believe Hackett was running the offense he wanted to run the last two seasons. The guy's demeanor and energy are 180 degrees from Saint Doug.

That said, when you're the OC and your HC isn't calling plays the blame falls upon you.

I would really love to know what was going on behind the scenes; I wish some assistant coach would leak something...

GO BILLS!!!

Agreed. i had no problem with that playcalling. At least twice, the plays were clearly there to be made. And they really weren't difficult throws. The qb just didn't execute.

Life as a coach at the college and NFL level must be brutal at times. They seem to have a bit of overall job security if they are willing to uproot their families and move frequently. However, perhaps other than the military who does this anymore?

Carni's.... It's a tough but noble way to earn a living.

He got to a position in life solely based on his last name. There are a ton of more qualified coaches that are struggling to get where he is because they didn't have a connection.

If should get a college job and prove himself. But the guy has made a lot of money and has a lot of advantages because of his father.

I feel sorry for him for the unwarranted levels of abuse he took from the fans, but professionally, no. He got 2 years of NFL OC experience under his belt. He's far more experienced and marketable than he was prior to coming here.

I can't see how he is more marketable. Our offense was unwatchable at times.

No ! I always loved Hacketts enthusiasm & I think he knows some things about the offense of a football team but is he at the NFL level yet ?

I think he will eventually get to hone his skills as a Offense coordinator , weather it be with a college team or eventually another NFL team but i think his resume needs to be a bit bigger .

As Marrone was a Homer hire by Brandon of which i very much believe & if you think about it with out the Pats resting their starters because they knew where they were headed the Bills in all actuality should have , would have & could have wound up 8 & 8 if Brady played because we all saw how he dismantled the Colts .

Sure we could have pulled of a Green Bay esk type of game but i tend to lean toward Tommy being Tommy & us wind up at 8 & 8 . So that means Maroone would have been portrayed as what he is a very average or mediocre coach .

But back to Hackett , just on Fred Jacksons endorsement alone because of the kind of guy Fred has been while with the Bills i believe that not only the people of Buffalo got a raw deal from Maroon but Hackett did as well because he didn't give Nate free run of the offense to see what he could really do with the talent that he had .

So good riddance to bad coaching where ever it came from but time will tell what the Bills situation was all about under Marrone as the Bills HC & karma is a B word !!

Did Nate get an interview with the Browns? Hackett said he used to put game plans together with Pettine. If he didn't get an interview that tells you all you need to know about Hackett.

They hired some dude today whose previous experience was as a manager for a high school lacrosse team or something.

No one must have wanted that job. I feel bad for Pettine, although he made his bed by taking it in the first place, and I don't really blame him for that.

I have some sympathy for him for sure. He got screwed by Marrone like everyone else he walked out on and probably did not get the type of influence he wanted in game planning or calls. Still, it is the business he has chosen and he is young and will rebound. I think some of his play designs were actually quite creative and with a better QB may well have worked more consistently. He was undone by poor QB play and horrendous OL play as much as anything. Still, the inability to adjust game plans when it was not working was a weakness, and he was routinely out coached by accomplished defensive coaches on the opposition. I think this is what you get with a young inexperienced coach in the NFL. Have to learn somehow.

Edited by MDFan

I definitely do; it appears he was handcuffed both by his boss and the Bills lack of a QB. I don't think he was every given a real chance to show what he is capable of doing. He will get another chance somewhere though.