Why isn't Jim Schwartz hired yet?

YoloinOhio

Good question Yolo. I can understand no interviews for a HC position, given what happened in Detroit; however, no DC interviews? I wonder if other teams look at the level of defensive talent on the Bills and downplay Schwartz' abilities? Kind of puzzling to me...

It could be he doesn't want to coach this season after the way things went down. He won't find the same talent on D as he had in Buff. Might figure it's better to take a year off having a great season than coach a lesser defensive unit and lose his "hot" quotient. Or he just got caught up in bad timing. He can thank Marrone the soon to be position coach for that.

Or even interviewing for DC? Guys like Mike Nolan who had the last-ranked D in the league and Eric Mangini are getting DC interviews... There are several openings... What am I missing?

Look at his history as a DC. His legend here on TSW has far exceeded his accomplishments. Not a difference maker as a coach. He's not going to go somewhere that ranked dead last in total D one year and turn them into a top all-around D like a Wade Phillips used to, for instance. Give him top talent and he won't mess it up. Not that many of those situations around the league.

He prob would hv got the Skins job if he was allowed to interview for it. Most of the HC vacancies were filled by defensive coaches who will obviously bring their own systems so his opportunities are also limited.

I think he ends up in Chicago but I also read somewhere that he may take the year off

Edited by Max997

A LOT of poster here had no doubt Marrone would get a HC spot in the NFL soon after he opted out. Go figure....

I bet teams look at the talent on the D and concluded that Schwartz was essentially Chance the Gardener in Buffalo. These other teams know they don't have the talent the Bills D has and didn't think Schwartz therefore would be useful.

Maybe teams aren't eager to bring in a DC that is looking to become a HC again right away and probably will be gone after only one year.

Is he looking to become a HC? Seemed like he was content being our DC at least for now and was run out by a new HC and his own staff.

A LOT of poster here had no doubt Marrone would get a HC spot in the NFL soon after he opted out. Go figure....

I bet teams look at the talent on the D and concluded that Schwartz was essentially Chance the Gardener in Buffalo. These other teams know they don't have the talent the Bills D has and didn't think Schwartz therefore would be useful.

:lol: :lol: Awesome reference, WEO. One of my favorite books and great movie, too.

Dumb point but awesome reference. :D :D

St. Louis - Jeff Fisher owes him one for when Schwartz added Fisher's son Brandon to the Lions' staff. Brandon is now on Rams' staff.

If he does not get a solid DC gig somewhere else I could see him being hired as a Defensive Consultant for the Rams just to stay active.

no young DC hired as a HC is going to hire him

no current HC, who's afraid of hiring his own replacement, is going to hire him

need a situation where the existing HC needs to fill the DC spot, and is secure enough to hire an ex-HC on his staff - maybe Carroll.. they both share a dislike for Harbaugh.. :blush:

Has Arizona hired a DC after Bowles left? There's some talent and Bowles had them running a 4-3 last season.

no and that's what I mean. Lots of DC openings, and nothing. Plus Wash. Is still open and they wanted to intvw him before but it was declined by Bills. Now that he is free to intvw anywhere, he still isn't interviewing there. Maybe it is by choice but even still you usually here that there is "interest" from teams. Edited by YoloinOhio

Pettine got the Bills defense up to #23 in the rankings and that accomplishment won him a HC job.

Schwartz takes over, loses his Pro Bowl safety to free agency and his rookie phenom to injury, and moves the D up to #4 in the rankings.

But he gets barely a sniff for a DC job.

Something doesn't seem right.

:lol: :lol: Awesome reference, WEO. One of my favorite books and great movie, too.

Dumb point but awesome reference. :D :D

It's completely on point!

Schwartz just rolled out the ball and said "play"--then he would retreat to his mirror and say "who's a defensive genius--that's right, you!"

interesting how fans bashed Marrone over and over, yet no one got on Bills management for not giving permission to let other teams to interview Schwartz, I don't recall any other team denying permission for their coaches to be interviewed by other teams, only the Bills did,

Pettine got the Bills defense up to #23 in the rankings and that accomplishment won him a HC job.

Schwartz takes over, loses his Pro Bowl safety to free agency and his rookie phenom to injury, and moves the D up to #4 in the rankings.

I think you are incredibly overstating the gap in outcome and ignoring the context of how pettine ended up getting hired and Schwartz had to wait til released. That and one having a rep as innovative and the other running a very classic schene that's at times struggled in recent years without perfect personnel.

Otherwise, incredibly fishy.

What stat are you using for #23 Defense. Going by yards/ play under Pettine, they were #6 in 2013 allowing 4.9 YDS/P. In 2012 they were 22nd allowing 5.6 YDS/P. This year they were 3rd with 4.9 YDS/P.

interesting how fans bashed Marrone over and over, yet no one got on Bills management for not giving permission to let other teams to interview Schwartz, I don't recall any other team denying permission for their coaches to be interviewed by other teams, only the Bills did,

And you misinterpret this how?

he was a candidate for HC of the Bills at the time...why would they allow him to intvw for a DC job elsewhere?

Yes, other teams do deny permission at times.