Who will the Bills bring in at QB?

YoloinOhio

Bills QB in 2015  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB will the Bills bring to Buffalo?

• Jay Cutler, Bears
    • Sam Bradford, Rams
    • RG3, Redskins
    • Peyton Manning, Broncos
    • Mark Sanchez, FA (Eagles)
    • Nick Foles, Eagles
    • Matt Moore, FA (Fish)
    • Tom Brady, Pats*
    • Colin Kaepernick, 49ers
    • Brian Hoyer, FA (Browns)
    • Other vet
    • Rookie
    • Eli Manning, NY OBJs

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope for a QB that has starting experience, relatively young, with upside. Versatile,durable. if the Bills can retain most , or all of their current roster, adding a top QB would be significant, maybe huge, step forward.

So you want a guy that another team is not going to give up on?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24961931/rex-ryan-ej-manuel-has-a-lot-of-traits-you-look-for-in-a-quarterback

Ryan didn't promise that Manuel would be his starter, but given that Buffalo traded this year's first round pick in the deal to move up for Watkins, it seems likely that Manuel will be their best option to start next year. Ryan did say at his introductory news conference that Manuel “has a lot of traits you look for in a quarterback.”

On deep passes, Manuel has been intercepted less often than the average NFL quarterback who threw at least 10 passes 20-plus yards down the field in the last two seasons, but his accuracy on those passes, even when accounting for drops, is terrible.

He just has not shown much ability to push the ball down the field. That was relfected in the first four games of the 2014 season, when he completed only 4-of-18 passes that fit that description, with the Bills relying almost exclusively on short routes and screens to move the ball through the air.

Certainly anyone that even mentions Cutler is joking and only putting it here to rile up the rest of us.

Is Kirby Jackson at it again? ;)

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Some research. Using average yards/play, passing, rushing, sacks, 50 yard penalty for TOs and 20 yard bonus for TDS-everything.

Category 1. Current starters who have started 100 games. The pipedream guys, have to trade for guys. Rivers at 5.82 is the best, Eli at 4.88 and Cutler 4.74 are others (he turns the ball over 1 ever 20 plays). Others of note: Rodgers 6.85, Peyton 6.55, Brees 6.01, Brady 5.99, Flacco 4.88, A,Smith 4.42 is last. Average NFL QB is at 4.99.

Category 2. Current starters less than 100 starts. R. Wilson is #1 at 5.94,#3 is Luck at 5.51 and #5 Cam is 5.49. Wonder who 2 and 4 are? Nick Foles 5.85 and Kaep 5.49. Availability=in doubt! RG3 is middle of the pack at 5.02.

People have mentioned Hoyer and Locker, who are URFA, they are pretty average 4.96 and 4.95. EJ is at 4.21, ahead of Carr, G.Smith, Bortles and McCown. Just ahead of EJ is SAM BRADFORD at 4.28!! This really surprised me. I thought he might me a good trade candidate. Not that this method is the be all end all, but is makes you pause to think. Other of note: Bridgewater 4.98 Tannehill 4.56 and Fitz4.30.

Category 3. The rest. Mark Sanchez at 3.77 and Matt Moore 3.51 were amongst the bottom 10 guys along with McCoy, Flynn, Grossman, Kitna, Clemens, Gabbert, Clausen and Lindley. The guys in this category have terrible TO rates. Sanchez once every 19 plays, remember Cutler is every 20, Rodger every 37, Brady-34, Peyton-32.

Finally, some people have mentioned Glennon-4.33, he's no better than EJ. Cousins is at 4.73 worse than Hoyer, Locker etc.

In summary, when I first voted I went with other veteran, with Rivers in mind. Realizing that was a dream, I thought Bradford. Now I'm not so sure that the people clamoring to trade for Foles, don't know if he's available, aren't correct. Or, the folks who think Hoyer or Locker are an option for average QB play. Locker probably has more upside. These guy all protect the ball pretty well at around 30 touches/TO.

Being an optimist, I found the whole thing a bit of a downer. Much more difficult problem to solve than I thought. My advice in this situation is, give yourself as many reasonable options as you can! And go through the process and hope. BTW, Kyle Orton was 5.13.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

This offense isn't going to be pass-heavy, so we don't need a Manning, Cutler, or Bradford.

Even if your run heavy you still need and want a QB who can win with his arm. Sometimes match ups require throwing the ball and some times the run games stall

Even if your run heavy you still need and want a QB who can win with his arm. Sometimes match ups require throwing the ball and some times the run games stall

In addition, there are other benefits to a strong run game. The team can be more versatile and do better in poor weather. Secondly, if we acquire one of the aging QBs such as Manning or Brady, it will be better to not over-work their arm and shoulder throughout the season. Use only as required and save the arm strength if required for the playoffs. Else a dominant opposing defense can simply take away the run game knowing that the arm is too fatigued to win the game through the air.

Rex Ryan seemed very non-committal to EJ in his press conference today. It feels like there is a plan in motion to bring a new QB to Buffalo. Who do you think it will be?

While I would love Kaepernick or Eli, but don't see us being able to get either one. Perhaps more realistic thinking would be that we would sign either Hoyer/Sanchez and then either try for Mallet/Locker. In my opinion, EJ needs to be given a fair shot. There could be a three way competition leading up to training camp where the best 2 would fight it out. Unproductive to start training camp with a 3 way competition, unless maybe one is eliminated after the first preseason game, leaving it down to two. Its a tough situation trying to find a QB in this environment.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24961931/rex-ryan-ej-manuel-has-a-lot-of-traits-you-look-for-in-a-quarterback

Ryan didn't promise that Manuel would be his starter, but given that Buffalo traded this year's first round pick in the deal to move up for Watkins, it seems likely that Manuel will be their best option to start next year. Ryan did say at his introductory news conference that Manuel has a lot of traits you look for in a quarterback.

On deep passes, Manuel has been intercepted less often than the average NFL quarterback who threw at least 10 passes 20-plus yards down the field in the last two seasons, but his accuracy on those passes, even when accounting for drops, is terrible.

He just has not shown much ability to push the ball down the field. That was relfected in the first four games of the 2014 season, when he completed only 4-of-18 passes that fit that description, with the Bills relying almost exclusively on short routes and screens to move the ball through the air.

Is Kirby Jackson at it again? ;)

I'm not a Cutler fan but he was 1 of the 2 guys listed that checked all of the boxes for that poster. When he said "durability" that eliminated about 1/2 of the candidates. I have no inside info (at this point) on the QB situation. My thoughts to date have been my own and it feels like Bradford to me.

Bradford is on top of the poll and I'd like to bring him in but I just don't see St Louis dumping him no matter what his cap hit is. With a healthy Bradford, the Rams are a playoff contending team. With no Bradford, they are the Bills but with an even worse QB situation. If you're the Rams you only have to bite the bullet for one more season on Bradford's contract and then sign him to a reasonable extension if he manages to stay healthy.

In fact besides Cutler, practically all of these non-FA QBs on this list are a pipe dream. The 49ers and Eagles are playoff contending teams if Colin and Foles play half as well as they've shown in the past. Without them who exactly do they turn to at QB? That's the situation with the lack of competent QBs in the NFL. The Bills will pursue trade options but most likely only be able to bring in a FA that will only end up playing if EJ falls flat on his face again (entirely possible). Out of the scrap heap FA I suppose I'd pick Hoyer.

Edited by earthtobrint

I think what they will do is trade for a QB, sign a FA, draft one and sign an undrafted free agent. Glennon, Locker, Grayson & Stoudt. Let them battle it out for starter, backup & developmental QB. None of that works, do it again in 2016.

Matt Moore has always done good things when i was watching , maybe i missed something on him though .

He would be a cheap veteran pick up that could give competition to push EJ & he would be motivated to win the starting job if it was a open competition .

I would look toward other young QB's on other teams that had good college production like the kid from OU after Bradford , he's sitting on a bench doing practice team reps .

If the Foles /Sanchez thing doesn't work there are 2 competent QB's with another good college QB backing them , it's up to Whaley to put it out there .

I think he will get it done !!

Pending a positive physical, my choice would be Jake Locker. He has a comparable skillset to Colin Kaepernick in terms of size and speed, and should fit in with what Roman wants to do. Locker (6'3"/4.59) and Manuel (6'5"/4.65) could give the Bills a good tandem of size and speed.

Pending a positive physical, my choice would be Jake Locker. He has a comparable skillset to Colin Kaepernick in terms of size and speed, and should fit in with what Roman wants to do. Locker (6'3"/4.59) and Manuel (6'5"/4.65) could give the Bills a good tandem of size and speed.

28 Qbs drafted in round 1 since 2000, Locker is one of them. Only 6 of them had losing record in college, he is one of them. It is not a pretty list to be on with the names Boller, Losman, Ramsey, Freeman and Cutler.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

My only thought was since Kromer is the OL coach, would that really deter Cutler from wanting to come here as a FA if they cut him or in a trade?.. If Kromer were the OC or QB coach, I could understand it.

I wouldn't think that the Bills would be looking for that dynamic after what they just went through. I'd be REALLY surprised if Cutler were added.

You know, stopthepain, I'm really not sure that EJ ain't gonna be the guy. Or at least the Bills might try again to see if he can be the guy. I think he's had lousy coaching and played behind a lousy O line, and had a couple of knee injuries his rookie year which may have affected his thinking. What can a good coach do to help him? Probably a lot. I am not an EJ lover or convinced he's the guy, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills give him another big chance.

Of course there will be at least one additional QB brought in. Even if EJ wins the starting job, Tuel is not the answer as the backup.

What does everyone have against Tuel? He has started only one game and was an undrafted rookie at the time. He didn't light it up but he actually wasn't too bad (except for the one obvious bad pass). He has guts & isn't afraid to wing it. He has an average strength arm & is accurate. My guess is that if he played the last year, our record would probably have been not much different.

What does everyone have against Tuel? He has started only one game and was an undrafted rookie at the time. He didn't light it up but he actually wasn't too bad (except for the one obvious bad pass). He has guts & isn't afraid to wing it. He has an average strength arm & is accurate. My guess is that if he played the last year, our record would probably have been not much different.

wasn't he horrendous in one the preseason games this year?

You mean athletic but crappy accuracy throwing the ball?