NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing: these Bills players just saw their HC and QB quit on them - literally walk away. But now, the Bills have hired a proven coach with SWAGGER and CONFIDENCE and he will be a shot of adrenaline for the entire locker room. This is just a perfect hire.

Agreed on the hire but Orton didn't quit. He retired. He knew where he stood.

1. Would love to see Marrone go to Jets.

2. Hope Schwartz stays.

3. How do you think Ryan will look in a Bills sweater lol

1. I hope he just goes away and is forgotten. No class the way he left, hard to trust anyone like that.

2. I'm with you there

3 I saw this online yesterday. I am looking forward to him yelling at refs when they pick up flags without explanationB7CApayIMAA5Q8a.jpg

Edited by Catch it Sammy

Another thing: these Bills players just saw their HC and QB quit on them - literally walk away. But now, the Bills have hired a proven coach with SWAGGER and CONFIDENCE and he will be a shot of adrenaline for the entire locker room. This is just a perfect hire.

I never expected us to get Rex, but I think this is a good change of pace for this team. Seeing emotion on the sidelines will be great.

So we fired a coach who was 2 games below .500 to hire a coach who's 2 games (including playoffs) below .500?

Curiously, the internet is saying Schwartz is out and Schwartz is in. In fact, FanSided is reporting both.

http://fansided.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-wants-keep-jim-schwartz-bills-defensive-coordinator/

http://fansided.com/2015/01/11/buffalo-bills-replace-jim-schwartz-defensive-coordinator/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=RelatedCategory

(Yeah, I know, FanSided doesn't have 'real' sportswriters).

Why so much faith in Roman?

Someone earlier said that Roman didn't throw to his elite tight end. We don't have one. He doesn't use his recievers. We only have to incorporate sammy. The rest fall into place... and Freddie is a workhorse. Pass run block. Incorporate Bryce and we are off to the races. Fix the o line and its a go. Lets not over think this.we are in good hands

From Deadspin article: :D

"Ryan's hiring comes after the Jets were expected to hire former Bills head coach and contract negotiation wizard Doug Marrone, and then soured on him after anonymous reports from every last person on Earth described him as a self-serving, micro-managing shitbag."

Monday Night Football, first game in New York against the Bills. Rex coming home. How could they not schedule that?

KTD, I just got in and have not been through this thread yet. How do you feel about us getting Rex?

For the record (not that any of us should care lol), I am literally thrilled.

I think that Rex will fit into Buffalo like hand in glove (no pun intended).

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love the move. I wonder if Rex and Schwartz can coexist though. I don't see Rex just being a manager of JS, he's too hands on and one of the best defensive minds in football. These guys also have some egos. He wants it to read the Rex lead Bills defense and with a 4-3 hands off approach it won't come off that way. In a perfect world I hope Rex and JS can get together, incorporate some 3-4 into the 4-3, for JS this could be a great learning opportunity that could springboard a future HC offer. Bills have the players to run either scheme. If JS and Rex can't coexist, that's fine, I love JS like everybody else, but Rex is elite and I don't have an issue seeing what he can do with this talent.

Edited by KzooMike

The one comment in the Post article is kind of funny, shows how little writers actually worry about facts. TP has owned the team for six months, never went through an off-season yet where he had to worry about who to sign or not. Seems to be a pretty stupid comment to make based on zero track record!

The Bills’ new owner, Terry Pegula, does not harbor Johnson’s distaste for annual renegotiations, as far as we know.

I have always figured Ryan is a good coach with a lousy front office. He'll fit right in.

My biggest concern with this is that Ryan loves a 3-4 defense, and the Bills personnel is geared to a 4-3. Will Ryan keep Schwartz in place and let Schwartz continue to run a 4-3? Well just supposing they go with a 3-4. Does Kyle Williams play right DE? Does Jerry Hughes play right DE? Or do they let Hughes leave (or heaven forbid, let Kyle Williams leave), and plug in Kiko alongside this year's three LBs? Or do they just toss out everything and start over like usually happens when they switch defensive concepts.

Rex Ryan is probably an upgrade over Marrone. Any of the OC options they're talking about is a HUGE upgrade over Hackett. But there's still no solid QB option, and the O line still stinks.

If the Bills handle this wrong, they'll blow up that great defense and not fix the offense. Probably trade Carpenter too so they'll suck on STs as well.

KTD, I just got in and have not been through this thread yet. How do you feel about us getting Rex?

For the record (not that any of us should care lol), I am literally thrilled.

I think that Rex will fit into Buffalo like hand in glove (no pun intended).

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Rex and like the hire. I always liked him. I hope he decides to keep Schwartz and Carucci says that he already asked Schwartz to stay, so that is great. Players love him. We are instantly relevant. Free agents will want to come here more.

It depends on how well Roman does, and I don't know much about him. Have read good and bad stuff, but it was always impossible to know about an OC when you have an HC who is an offensive guy above you, not to mention someone as full of himself as Harbaugh. Gore said Roman was a better OC than Turner or Martz, which is nice. Just don't know.

"Ryan's hiring comes after the Jets were expected to hire former Bills head coach and contract negotiation wizard Doug Marrone, and then soured on him after anonymous reports from every last person on Earth described him as a self-serving, micro-managing shitbag."

L. M. F. A. O.

The Bills didn't fire Marrone, he quit!

INCLUDING PLAYOFFS enough said. You cant compare a man who consistently finished 2 years on par with a man who has what 5 years and has finished almost 500 with the last 2 years being pretty bad. They just fired their GM so that organization was a mess... lets not condemn the man until he is deserving.

I love Rex and like the hire. I always liked him. I hope he decides to keep Schwartz and Carucci says that he already asked Schwartz to stay, so that is great. Players love him. We are instantly relevant. Free agents will want to come here more.

It depends on how well Roman does, and I don't know much about him. Have read good and bad stuff, but it was always impossible to know about an OC when you have an HC who is an offensive guy above you, not to mention someone as full of himself as Harbaugh. Gore said Roman was a better OC than Turner or Martz, which is nice. Just don't know.

Who was the last big free agent Rex got? Vick?

Remember when Rex publicly emasculated his young QB and undermined his GM all in a prime time matchup? Good thing we don't have a spiteful HC anymore.

Edited by FireChan

NY Post likes the hire...for the Bills that is...

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-is-now-the-jets-worst-nightmare/

Love this paragraph:

The tortured history of the Jets virtually guarantees that Rex will turn into Vince Lombardi, and every Play Like A Bill exclamation from him is certain to puncture the eardrums of long-suffering Jets fans.

I disagree with the last part. Apart from Chris Ivory, Richardson, Wilkerson, an aging Mangold and maybe David Harris, I can't think of anyone else there who would be noticeably better than the Bills player they'd replace.

I think that is faulty thinking. Let's look at it this way. The Jets had a very good D last year, as teams typically do with Rex involved. Nobody ever questions Rex's ability to put together a good D. Their D was very close, statistically, to the Bills this year.

Their offense was basically a disaster. Guess what other team had a strong D and a weak O? Yet the Bills, under Marrone (who has become the whipping boy for everything anyone doesn't like about the Bills) got the team to 9 wins. This with EJ and Orton and a terrible performance by the OL, Rex eked out 4. with Vick and Gino and by most accounts, a FAR better OL.

Are you prepared to say Orton and EJ are 5 wins better than Vick and Smith? What did Marrone have going for him that Rex did not, offensively?

Face it, Rex SUCKED this year. And he wasn't much better last year, either. His coaching ability (not just his record) has regressed just about every year since he started with the Jets.

I can't tell you how much I love this hire. Also, are people aware that despite having no credible cornerbacks, the Jets finished 6th in defense this season (yardage)? They gave up a lot of points, but their offensive ineptitude had something to do with that.

Yes, for some reason you love Rex. At the beginning of the year I suggested this would be Rex's last with the Jets. You disagreed. No, this is not an "I told you so" comment---I can't stand those. Over the years we've all made correct predictions and ones that flew in our faces. But I just can't see what you see in Rex's gameday HC performance that impresses you. Add to that, what does he bring to the Bills, who already have a great D?

This is a media/PR move. Big name coach, to make it seem the team is doing something different. In reality, IMO, they are just hiring another failed retread HC with a career losing record. I smell Pegula, and maybe even Brandon, on this move. I refuse to believe a football person derided this was the best move for this team.

I can only hope this becomes successful as a result of the swagger Rex projects. I'm not too big of a fan of swagger (especially when it isn't backed up) but maybe that is what this team needs. I'm trying to search for ANY positive in this move. I just can't see it at the moment.

Pass the Prozac...it looks like it could get bumpy.

Looks like I picked a bad day to give up drinking.

NY Post likes the hire...for the Bills that is...

http://nypost.com/2015/01/11/rex-ryan-is-now-the-jets-worst-nightmare/

THIS got me fired up!

Bwaaa haaa haaa

He has wins against the Pats, especially a playoff win at Gillette stadium. The Jets defense has held the Pats offense to an average of 270 yards over the past four match ups. With keeping Schwartz and bringing in Greg Roman, I feel very confident that Ryan will have success in Buffalo.

I'll be very pleased if they prove me wrong

Rex will be highly motivated and his personality will put Buffalo on the map big time. He is most loyal of any coach out the and players will love playing for him. Ideally I'd Scwartz stays he will demand we resign Highes and keep all our defensive players including Spikes. Def will be best in league. Maybe we trade for Kapernick?.. Rex's negatives are that he can create a frat mentality among players and his teams take too many undiscclined penalties. I hope he has learned and will change in this regard. He will utilize big strong backs and will upgrade our OL. If Roman can get the offense track, Rex's personality can take this team far. Fans are gonna love him!,