Package Deal? (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two clowns ran the Redskins into the ground. If you think the Bills are dysfunctional just hire Mike and Kyle. They define dysfunctional.

Listening to talk radio every day on my commute was brutal as they documented how bad these two were in managing their duties.

LoL. That DC stint was terrible. But to say the Shany's ran the Skins into the groudn would mean ignoring the current Jay Gruden era. Or the ole ball coach era. Or the Jim Zorn era. Snyder is running that team into the ground.

Edited by purple haze

A source informed John Middlekauff of 957 The Game Bay Area that Mike Shanahan could be hired as the Bills' general manager with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan as head coach.

We're sorry, Bills fans. This would be brutal. Bills in-name GM Doug Whaley was reported to be leading the search for a new head coach, but it's now been revealed new owner Terry Pegula is conducting interviews. The Bills have requested interviews with as many as 13 head-coaching candidates. The Shanahan duo wouldn't be awful in a head coach-offensive coordinator tandem, but allowing them to make all personnel decisions would be taking a huge leap of faith.

I don't know who John Middlekauff is or if there is any possible truth to this, but I sure as hell hope not. Just seems like a terrible system

Edited by Derek in Va

I'm actually more concerned with the way Terry is inserting himself in the process. He's the owner, I get it. He should be there and a large part of the decision, but to have the idea that Whaley is "running" the interviews redacted is a little scary. Is Whaley there? Is Terry taking sole responsibility?

Remember this is the same guy that drives around the country scouting hockey players on his own. Sports franchises seem to be more of a personal play toy to the Pegula's at this point. It's entertainment for him, not a quest for a championship. These things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but in this case they are.

Things are really starting to get interesting.Im sure the Bills have multiple ideas/plans-at least I hope so. Reich/Schwartz is also plausible

I wasn't cool with Reich. But if given the choice of Shanashanahan or Reich/Schwartz I agree with you.

LoL. That DC stint was terrible. But to say the Shany's ran the Skins into the groudn would mean ignoring the current Jay Gruden era. Or the ole ball coach era. Or the Jim Zorn era. Snyder is running that team into the ground.

No. Snyder gave the reigns to Mikey. He made all the calls - including destroying the health of RG3 and keeping that clown Haslett. That was Mike's ship that ran into the iceberg.

I don't know who John Middlekauff is or if there is any possible truth to this, but I sure as hell hope not. Just seems like a terrible system

He's a sports talk show guy in Oakland (former NFL scout) and does the pre-game show for the Raiders. Seems a bit lightweight, actually...

I sure hope that they go another route than the Shanahans.

I lived in Colorado for ten years (1990's) and couldn't stand having to always see Shanny in the local media.

He always seemed like an arrogant prick.

(That being said... he sure coached some good teams back then, and has a $hitload of experience...)

(This also being said... I've been in New Zealand for almost 10 years now, so didn't see his stint in DC, which I hear was very bad.)

I'm not excactly sure what they are doing. If they are replacing Whaley fire him ... Otherwise this does not make sense with the football czar.

If I were a coaching canidate I might think twice about what's going on. Its starting to looking pretty disorganized. Interview everyone ... We really don't know what we are looking for and we will happily replace our GM. Who has gotten talent on the field for the team.

I am wondering if Whaley wants this czar ... As it was Nix was still an advisor, I wonder if he(Whaley) never really had confidence in his own abilities.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

A source informed John Middlekauff of 957 The Game Bay Area that Mike Shanahan could be hired as the Bills' general manager with Browns OC Kyle Shanahan as head coach.

We're sorry, Bills fans. This would be brutal. Bills in-name GM Doug Whaley was reported to be leading the search for a new head coach, but it's now been revealed new owner Terry Pegula is conducting interviews. The Bills have requested interviews with as many as 13 head-coaching candidates. The Shanahan duo wouldn't be awful in a head coach-offensive coordinator tandem, but allowing them to make all personnel decisions would be taking a huge leap of faith.

Why would this be bad? they obviously can work well together and their would be no BS back stabbing going on.

Even if they are not hired I think this good because it show that Pegs is not sold on whaley who has braught in some good players but let the most important position go into total disarray and botched the Oline as well.

Shanny know how to win and having him GM would be great and a his kid runs a good offense. the more I think about it the more I like it.

Go shannys!!!

LET'S CONNECT THE DOTS...

I'm not a fan of nepotism, but if the Shanahans BOTH shuffled off to Buffalo, their father & son roles would be different than the ones they had in Washington, with the chance for an added bonus.

I live in DC, so I witnessed Mike and Kyle's struggles with the Redskins. But I blame their demise on Daniel Snyder and his obsession with RGIII, who I believe Mike never wanted in the first place.

So would two Shannys be a fit in Buffalo? Bills fans already have their doubts, but it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. And an old friend may be invited to tag along.

Here's one scenario...

If Baltimore loses at New England this weekend, Terry & Kim Pegula could move fast to hire Mike as their "Czar" and Kyle and Gary Kubiak as their coach and offensive coordinator... but not necessarily in that order.

Mike and Kyle are already head coaching candidates, while their former colleague (Kubiak) will be, as soon as his OC duties conclude with the Ravens.

It may take the perfect storm, but all three men could be willing to sacrifice personal goals to work together on a unified one with the Bills.

We all know Mike chatted with the Pegulas on Sunday about the head coaching position, but who's to say he wasn't pitching his son for the job, while lobbying for the advisory role that Bill Polian turned down?

On Monday evening, the Bills requested a meeting with Kyle. Is it just coincidence or are the owners of Buffalo's hockey and football teams planning a power play?

Kubiak could be their true target, with Mike as head of Football Operations and Kyle as OC - if he chooses to leave the job he currently has in Cleveland.

But I think the more likely scenario is Kyle as head coach, with Kubiak in charge of turning around a struggling offense for the second year in a row.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=baltimore-ravens&id=14357&src=desktop

Kubiak certainly has the credentials to be a head coach again, but after suffering a mini-stroke during his final year in Houston, he may not want the added stress that comes with it.

With Kyle as coach, Kubiak can do exactly what he's done so successfully in Baltimore. And the younger Shanahan would have TWO trusted mentors by his side, with FIVE Super Bowl rings between them.

Mike Shanahan earned his first ring in 1994 (as George Seifert's OC), when San Francisco beat San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Then he won 2 more as head coach of the Broncos in '97 & '98.

Mike's offensive coordinator in Denver was Gary Kubiak... and when Kubiak became Houston's head coach... he eventually hired Kyle as his OC with the Texans.

So there's plenty of history between them and what comes around often goes around in the NFL. Perhaps all 3 are meant to be (together again) in Buffalo!

P.S. If we toss Mario Williams into the mix, Buffalo has a former Texans star who knows Kyle and Koobs well and can act as a reference for both.

Thoughts???

Edited by dcjoev

LET'S CONNECT THE DOTS...

I'm not a fan of nepotism, but if the Shanahans BOTH shuffled off to Buffalo, their father & son roles would be different than the ones they had in Washington, with the chance for an added bonus.

I live in DC, so I witnessed Mike and Kyle's struggles with the Redskins. But I blame their demise on Daniel Snyder and his obsession with RGIII, who I believe Mike never wanted in the first place.

So would two Shannys be a fit in Buffalo? Bills fans already have their doubts, but it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. And an old friend may be invited to tag along.

Here's one scenario...

If Baltimore loses at New England this weekend, Terry & Kim Pegula could move fast to hire Mike as their "Czar" and Kyle and Gary Kubiak as their coach and offensive coordinator... but not necessarily in that order.

Mike and Kyle are already head coaching candidates, while their former colleague (Kubiak) will be, as soon as his OC duties conclude with the Ravens.

It may take the perfect storm, but all three men could be willing to sacrifice personal goals to work together on a unified one with the Bills.

We all know Mike chatted with the Pegulas on Sunday about the head coaching position, but who's to say he wasn't pitching his son for the job, while lobbying for the advisory role that Bill Polian turned down?

On Monday evening, the Bills requested a meeting with Kyle. Is it just coincidence or are the owners of Buffalo's hockey and football teams planning a power play?

Kubiak could be their true target, with Mike as head of Football Operations and Kyle as OC - if he chooses to leave the job he currently has in Cleveland.

But I think the more likely scenario is Kyle as head coach, with Kubiak in charge of turning around a struggling offense for the second year in a row.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=baltimore-ravens&id=14357&src=desktop

Kubiak certainly has the credentials to be a head coach again, but after suffering a mini-stroke during his final year in Houston, he may not want the added stress that comes with it.

With Kyle as coach, Kubiak can do exactly what he's done so successfully in Baltimore. And the younger Shanahan would have TWO trusted mentors by his side, with FIVE Super Bowl rings between them.

Mike Shanahan earned his first ring in 1992 (as George Seifert's OC), when San Francisco beat San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Then he won 2 more as head coach of the Broncos in '97 & '98.

Mike's offensive coordinator in Denver was Gary Kubiak... and when Kubiak became Houston's head coach... he eventually hired Kyle as his OC with the Texans.

So there's plenty of history between them and what comes around often goes around in the NFL. Perhaps all 3 are meant to be (together again) in Buffalo!

P.S. If we toss Mario Williams into the mix, Buffalo has a former Texans star who knows Kyle and Koobs well and can act as a reference for both.

Thoughts???

I like it but you should have posted this in the shanny thread. Also really don't need Kubiak if we have Kyle, one or the other would be fine. Also don't think "koobs" would make a lateral move.

Where is it being reported that only Terry Pegula is doing the interviewing? Everything I read is saying that Terry is involved. Why the hell would Terry be going around, with Brandon presumably, making football decisions without anyone who has any knowledge of football? That would be an absolutely horrible scenario, if that's what's happening, which is what this is kind of implying. This raises way to many questions and is highly unlikely if you ask me. "Yea, Doug we are going to keep you around as we search for your replacement and hope you don't find out."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer now reporting it is indeed a package deal.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/3_teams_interested_in_kyle_sha.html

49ers and Raiders reportedly considering the same package.

The funny part about this is we would steal their OC after only one year on the job after they took our DC with only one year on the job. B-)

No Shanahans, please. Not even Mike. Take away his seasons where he's had John Elway behind center and his teams have done nothing.

every coach does nothing without an elite QB