Head Coach Candidate: Jim Schwartz

Luxy312

This was posted when we hired Schwartz as DC. Inspires a lot of confidence:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/sports/football/23titans.html?pagewanted=all&_r=1&

Yeah I remember reading that and getting very intrigued by Schwartz. The more I read about him and listened to him the more impressed I was.

FWIW, the guy in the article that he watched film with, Aaron Schatz, founded Football Outsiders.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised that Schwartz's name hasn't come up yet in other coaching vacancies, but I'm not going to complain. He had a tough job to do in Detroit and did pretty well in those first three years of guiding that team upwards. The job he's done in Buffalo speaks for itself. If he gets the job, I'm all for it.

Yeah I remember reading that and getting very intrigued by Schwartz. The more I read about him and listened to him the more impressed I was.

FWIW, the guy in the article that he watched film with, Aaron Schatz, founded Football Outsiders.

Me too.

The easiest thing to do may just be to stay in house.

His OC in Detroit was Scott Linehan. The Lions finished in the top 6 in yards all three of his last three seasons, and was the playcaller and person given the most accolades for the Cowboys offensive resurgence this year. We could do worse than Linehan, who is a free agent.

Agreed that this could be his choice. Pretty sure it would be an upgrade offensively but our defense could slip if he's not as fully involved.. then again, the disrespect he might feel if they don't take him might cause him to jump ship too. The Pegulas are in a very unenviable position in their first year :wallbash:

I don't want him. We need Ben McAdoo, maybe he can make Sammy be a poor mans ODB

Sammy won't be a poor man's anything when he gets a coach determined to get him the rock like the Giants were determined to get ODB the rock. As bad as the Bills QB play was Sammy could have reached ODB's numbers if the coaches game planned to get him involved. I guess it wasn't enough for them that just about every win they got, Sammy had a standout game.

Sammy won't be a poor man's anything when he gets a coach determined to get him the rock like the Giants were determined to get ODB the rock. As bad as the Bills QB play was Sammy could have reached ODB's numbers if the coaches game planned to get him involved. I guess it wasn't enough for them that just about every win they got, Sammy had a standout game.

OK so, I was being Sarcastic about this post. There is another thread that has been going on for like 4 days arguing that ODB is better...I would take Sammy all day long :)

If he wants the job I'm giving it to Bevell. Make Schwartz highest paid DC in league.

You want (tho I think it will be tough) to get an O guy. It's just so hard to get good OCs. That's why outside of BB the best coaches are probably O guys. Easier to get a DC.

McAdoo sounds intriguing. Similar coaching path as Gruden----which is a huge plus for me in this search.

I didn't think I wanted anything to do with Schwartz but maybe my prejudice cones simply from the fact that if I went after the arrogant little tool jimmy harbaugh , I would have decked him . So despite that embarrassment he seems to have an excellent command of the intellectual concepts of football . He proved many of us wrong by sticking to his philosophy of rushing four on most downs and actually was less of a gunslinger which had more positive results than pettine.. The same consitency he had with the titans?

I personally have to ask if we have a grass is greener philosophy thinking our leader is outside the organization.. Maybe if he can hire a competent play caller oc with a big name to lure a qb and move Donnie Henderson to dc he might be our best chance to improve on a promising year aside from the eggs laid on Miami Oakland and home against the chiefs .

I don't believe he can lure what we need because of the seeming personality weakness that is right or wrong in the public perception .. The pegulas hopefully did exit interviews with the team to know their desires. If they are all honest and start fresh learning from this year and Mostly If he sees Whaley as an ally and truly competent we might have all the best by simply removing the guarded insecure Marrone . I am completely outside any pertinent knowledge aside from watching games and interviews but the players would have their first consitentcy at camp in years if schwartzs ran a tighter ship than Detroit and was more honest and respectful to players that deserve it than Dougie.

Yep. Either that or Daniel Day Lewis.

True.

I noticed that the Daniel Day Lewis thread seems to have disappeared. Either the mods do not have a sense of humor or, perhaps, they are confederates who do not like Lincoln, apple pie, and America itself.

Two things strike me from that article, which of course pre-dates his run in Detroit.

The first is his ability to be flexible in his defensive gameplan week to week. I saw a lot of that last year. He came to Buffalo to follow Pettine and the exotic blitzes with what proved to be an unfair reputation for being vanilla defensively. He only ever rushes his front 4, he plays the wide 9, it's all cover 2. It was nonsense. The first time all year that I saw Schwartz call a game that was a majority of wide 9 and cover 2 was Cleveland at home. His gameplan had wrinkles every single week. Did he blitz much? No. But was it the front 4 just straight up bull rushing every play? No. There were plans in place for specific opponents. From the first week where the corners intentionally played soft at Chicago and kept Marshall and Jeffrey infront of them to, for eample, the Green Bay game where they were right there on Nelson and Cobb every throw playing tight (the one busted coverage that Nelson dropped excepted off course). It was interesting that some of his most specific plans were against the NFC North he knows so well. One would hope that given a chance to go away look again at the way Gronkowski gashed us in the first New England game he would be able to come up with something more effective for next year.

The second is his focus on points. That comes across in that article and did again this year both in interviews and actions. That we were up there in total defense based on yard matters and being good on points flows from it - I think 4th best on points allowed and 1st on 3rd down % will be the stats that most pleased him.

There are a lot of similarities between Schwartz and belichick other than their results with their first coaching gigs.

Both played football at academic-focused institution; both majored in economics; both had early experiences under ted marchibroda; both took bad teams to the playoffs in 3 years that subsequently tanked the next year; among others.

While he's my #1 choice, I hope he has learned to rein his emotions in and is a little more mature since the last gig. the exit after the bills' win in Detroit makes that last point questionable...

I'm sure Jim Schwartz's career record as head coach (29-51) has a lot to do with him not getting interviews across the league. I've warmed up to Schwartz but in NFL circles he may just be slotted in there as a top flight DC and nothing else (kinda' like Gregg Williams).

SO many of these owners want a new coach with either a winning track record or the up and comer like Chip Kelly. To hire a guy with a losing record just doesn't have a great look...but i think he COULD be a solid head coach here. As always it comes down to who he would hire as OC and of course the usual "get a solid QB" and all coaches look much better.

I'm sure Jim Schwartz's career record as head coach (29-51) has a lot to do with him not getting interviews across the league. I've warmed up to Schwartz but in NFL circles he may just be slotted in there as a top flight DC and nothing else (kinda' like Gregg Williams).

SO many of these owners want a new coach with either a winning track record or the up and comer like Chip Kelly. To hire a guy with a losing record just doesn't have a great look...but i think he COULD be a solid head coach here. As always it comes down to who he would hire as OC and of course the usual "get a solid QB" and all coaches look much better.

He had talent and a QB and a very good OC in Scott Linehan.

So pretty much more pieces than he's likely to have here to work with.

His next HC job he just needs to do a better job of.......being a head coach.

He had talent and a QB and a very good OC in Scott Linehan.

So pretty much more pieces than he's likely to have here to work with.

His next HC job he just needs to do a better job of.......being a head coach.

He had some talent and an erratic QB with a great arm. He had one great WR but that's it, TE sucked, a sometimes game breaker RB who usually was average, and a fair OL. Great defensive line and erratic back seven. They were pretty good, under achieved the last couple years and it was time for him to go. He didn't have a great team. In some ways the offense overachieved.

He had some talent and an erratic QB with a great arm. He had one great WR but that's it, TE sucked, a sometimes game breaker RB who usually was average, and a fair OL. Great defensive line and erratic back seven. They were pretty good, under achieved the last couple years and it was time for him to go. He didn't have a great team. In some ways the offense overachieved.

Yeah, Stafford really isn't that great of a QB. He still has never won a road game against a winning team. He's one of those guys that's just good enough not to be really questioned, but he's not a championship QB.

He offers an in house replacement, continuity from last years success. With the right guys on Offense, Schwartz could continue to monitor the defensive while Pep or Henderson take the reigns as DC. Schwartz is a guy with head coaching experience and I'd rather roll with him than risk losing another DC for a 4th year in a row

The defense failed them in key games against NE/KC/SD and the Raider game.

Two things strike me from that article, which of course pre-dates his run in Detroit.

The first is his ability to be flexible in his defensive gameplan week to week. I saw a lot of that last year. He came to Buffalo to follow Pettine and the exotic blitzes with what proved to be an unfair reputation for being vanilla defensively. He only ever rushes his front 4, he plays the wide 9, it's all cover 2. It was nonsense. The first time all year that I saw Schwartz call a game that was a majority of wide 9 and cover 2 was Cleveland at home. His gameplan had wrinkles every single week. Did he blitz much? No. But was it the front 4 just straight up bull rushing every play? No. There were plans in place for specific opponents. From the first week where the corners intentionally played soft at Chicago and kept Marshall and Jeffrey infront of them to, for eample, the Green Bay game where they were right there on Nelson and Cobb every throw playing tight (the one busted coverage that Nelson dropped excepted off course). It was interesting that some of his most specific plans were against the NFC North he knows so well. One would hope that given a chance to go away look again at the way Gronkowski gashed us in the first New England game he would be able to come up with something more effective for next year.

The second is his focus on points. That comes across in that article and did again this year both in interviews and actions. That we were up there in total defense based on yard matters and being good on points flows from it - I think 4th best on points allowed and 1st on 3rd down % will be the stats that most pleased him.

good post Schwartz kind of quietly , was very effective. But he did make some keen adjustments as you noted

New England at home the defense fialed them in the second half - I do not doubt that. It was the one big let down of the season defensively. And against Oakland whilst they played overall a good game they gave up 2 big plays that changed momentum at key times. The second one Corey Graham accepted was an individual error on his part.

To blame the defense for defeats to KC (when it was offense and an individual special teams mistake by Leodis) and Sand Diego when our offense couldn't do squat is misguided.

At this point I do not think they will hire Mark Helfrich. So, I would like them to hire Jim Schwartz as head coach. Schwartz did a great job with the defense, and has head coaching experience in the NFL (although it is not necessary for the next head coaching candidate). The Bills defensive players really like to play for him and I think that the team would embrace him as the head coach. I would also promote Nathaniel Hackett to offensive coordinator. When he was allowed to coach and call his plays last year it was an attacking, fun and innovative style of offense. EJ did well when he was allowed to work and play without restriction within Hackett's offense last year. If I could have any coach I would like the Bills to hire Mark Helfrich, and hopefully keep Schwartz as their defensive coordinator. However, I do not think this will happen. Therefore, I think a combination of Schwartz as head coach, and Hackett as offensive coordinator would be best for the Bills.

If Schwartz can bring in a trestman, I'm completely okay with this. The atmosphere he created on the D was amazing and the players loved him. I think that's a good start.

I don't like how things ended in Detroit and that did make me nervous, but I'm not against it.

Overall, I don't think it would be worse. But I also don't know if he has the ability to identify a good qb

I commented to these points on another thread and agree with you. I'm not sure what happened in Detroit to lose down the stretch for a couple of years, but this continuity could really help this team.

The linch pin though is a very experienced and innovative OC like Trestman.

I couldn't disagree more. Our Offense kept going three and out throughout much of these games. The defense cannot hold up forever.

I commented to these points on another thread and agree with you. I'm not sure what happened in Detroit to lose down the stretch for a couple of years, but this continuity could really help this team.

The linch pin though is a very experienced and innovative OC like Trestman.

I couldn't disagree more. Our Offense kept going three and out throughout much of these games. The defense cannot hold up forever.

I posted earlier in this thread that stafford's poor play in 5 of 6 of their last games in 2013 was the reason that year. I've read elsewhere that lack of depth and injuries hurt them in 2012, but haven't verified that claim.

Thanks much for digging this up. It's very worth noting that this is the lions' own website and a multitude of players with some strong words supporting Schwartz. IMO it points to the Detroit FO deciding to make a change for change's sake and less about Schwartz's ability to coach.

Schwartz should be one of our leading HC candidates for all the reasons indicated in this thread. Our own players talk about hanging on his legs and chaining themselves to his car in hopes he doesn't leave. That is not the usual PR talk. Our franchise has some connections to Detroit. Talk to them, get some scoop on what happened up there.

Our FO should every effort into vetting Schartz as HC. How was his gameday decisions and clock management? Anyone on TBD live in/follow Detroit during his tenure there? There's a lot of good things about this guy so get the full story behind the numbers and make an intelligent decision.

Our FO should every effort into vetting Schartz as HC. How was his gameday decisions and clock management? Anyone on TBD live in/follow Detroit during his tenure there? There's a lot of good things about this guy so get the full story behind the numbers and make an intelligent decision.

I don't think it is any longer a penalty to throw a challenge flag on a play that is automatically reviewable is it? That should help his in game management! He did that on thanksgiving day too if my memeory serves infront of the eyes of the nation and everyone watching around the world. He must have felt a right chump.

I like Jim Schwartz, the defensive players seem to love him - there are much worse options on our interview schedule and I would not be at all disappointed if Jim got the job.

Thanks much for digging this up. It's very worth noting that this is the lions' own website and a multitude of players with some strong words supporting Schwartz. IMO it points to the Detroit FO deciding to make a change for change's sake and less about Schwartz's ability to coach.

Schwartz should be one of our leading HC candidates for all the reasons indicated in this thread. Our own players talk about hanging on his legs and chaining themselves to his car in hopes he doesn't leave. That is not the usual PR talk. Our franchise has some connections to Detroit. Talk to them, get some scoop on what happened up there.

It's interesting reading those comments and reminds me of the time the Bills players carried him off the field in Detroit this year, and there were actually lions players who came over to congratulate him.

At this point I do not think they will hire Mark Helfrich. So, I would like them to hire Jim Schwartz as head coach. Schwartz did a great job with the defense, and has head coaching experience in the NFL (although it is not necessary for the next head coaching candidate). The Bills defensive players really like to play for him and I think that the team would embrace him as the head coach. I would also promote Nathaniel Hackett to offensive coordinator. When he was allowed to coach and call his plays last year it was an attacking, fun and innovative style of offense. EJ did well when he was allowed to work and play without restriction within Hackett's offense last year. If I could have any coach I would like the Bills to hire Mark Helfrich, and hopefully keep Schwartz as their defensive coordinator. However, I do not think this will happen. Therefore, I think a combination of Schwartz as head coach, and Hackett as offensive coordinator would be best for the Bills.

In other words, you want us to take a step forward by keeping everything exactly the same? :flirt:

I am not sold on Hackett. How do we know when he was allowed to call the plays and when he wasn't? How do we know when EJ was restricted and when he wasn't? What about the OL? What about the run game? Why didn't we have a QB coach last year? This year, when we did have a QB coach, why did it seem that all of the QB on the roster from last year had regressed badly?

I don't think it is any longer a penalty to throw a challenge flag on a play that is automatically reviewable is it? That should help his in game management! He did that on thanksgiving day too if my memeory serves infront of the eyes of the nation and everyone watching around the world. He must have felt a right chump.

I like Jim Schwartz, the defensive players seem to love him - there are much worse options on our interview schedule and I would not be at all disappointed if Jim got the job.

Yea, that's not good but Schwartz is a passionate coach so probably reacted without thinking. I personally think how a coach manages the clock says a lot about how good of a gameday coach he is. Are his players prepared (constantly wasting time outs if not), with less than 2 minutes left how many seconds are wasted? One great example for me involved the Pettine and the Browns against Atlanta. Driving for the winning field goal they completed a 15 yard pass play and got the ball to the Atlanta 30 with less than 20 seconds left when they used their last time out. Announcers were going nuts about how you save it for the kick. Pettine used it to draw up a short pass play and make sure the offense hustled up to spike the ball with 5 seconds left. Gave his kicker a 36 yard field goal instead of 47.