$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

14 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Exactly. I'd like to see a woman get her balls waxed in Iran.

I'd like to see a gay couple shut down a bakery in Kabul.

Show me a homeless person in Uzbekistan with a cell phone.

But no. It's Americans with a low quality of life.

Y'know, I'm getting pretty effin' tired of people telling me all the reasons this country sucks.

See the source image

30 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Exactly. I'd like to see a woman get her balls waxed in Iran.

I'd like to see a gay couple shut down a bakery in Kabul.

Show me a homeless person in Uzbekistan with a cell phone.

But no. It's Americans with a low quality of life.

Y'know, I'm getting pretty effin' tired of people telling me all the reasons this country sucks.

But you know what the gay couple in Kabul and the homeless guy in Uzbekistan don't have?  Student loan debt.  They're so much better off.  

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But you know what the gay couple in Kabul and the homeless guy in Uzbekistan don't have?  Student loan debt.  They're so much better off.  

They’re also not up all night worrying about pronouns and plastic straws.

7 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Also gives raises to 27 million people and lifts 1.3 million people above the poverty level. 

This is one of the stupidest reasons to raise the minimum wage; and it's being used by every single politician supporting it.

The poverty level is an arbitrary line. It means nothing.

No federal minimum wage hike has ever resulted in less people below the poverty line.

If they give the bottom 27 million a raise, they will still be the bottom 27 million below the average to make up the newly raised poverty line.

Raising the minimum does nothing but increase costs. So we pay the cost of increasing minimum wage by making everyone else's money worth less.

What its does do is hurt those on a fixed income (retirees) who won't get a raise with inflation on their investments.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Simply tie the minimum wage to inflation so that it goes up 3% each year and stop this nonsensical bickering. No, that would be way too logical! What would the left and right argue about for hours on end?

A nationwide federal minimum wage is ridiculous. If we're going to let the federal government decide what is good for everyone than we might just as well get rid of the various states.

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Simply tie the minimum wage to inflation so that it goes up 3% each year and stop this nonsensical bickering. No, that would be way too logical! What would the left and right argue about for hours on end?

Which state's inflation are we going to tie it to? That's like creating a national gasoline price.

The left coast inflation rate is on overdrive as they ratchet up more and more entitlement programs.

Liberal states will continue to demand even higher wages while pointing to Conservatives states' low wages.

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

A nationwide federal minimum wage is ridiculous. If we're going to let the federal government decide what is good for everyone than we might just as well get rid of the various states.

They haven't even figured out how to do it in the EU where every nation has a different healthcare system and minimum wage.

19 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

This is big pile of horseschitt. The reason you feel like this is because you're a devout leftist, and as a devout leftist, you're asssssshole deep in entitlement.

The "average quality of life" in America is a hundred times better than the "best quality of life" pretty much, y'know, anywhere in the world. Opportunities are everywhere IF you are willing to do what is required to take advantage of them.

The problem is that in the media-saturated world of risk/reward, kids are taught that they're special just the way they are, and that everyone is equal in intelligence and effort, so it's simply not fair that some people work to earn more than others. Is it any wonder we read about millennials calling their mommy from work because the boss hurt their feelings.

Anyone can become anything in this country. Anyone.

And you know how we know this? Because anyone HAS become anything in this country.

If you're too lazy or stupid to figure this out, fine, but do the rest of the world a favor and STFU with this whole quality of life thing because you literally have no clue what you're whining about. It's just more whining.

1) I am far from a leftist. I just get annoyed when boomers get all high and mighty. Seriously, boomers lived in a world where America did have a better quality of life, relative to the rest of the world, than people do now. Why is it so hard to accept responsibility for failing future generations? Instead, bitching about "muh millenials" is so much easier. 

\/ \/ \/

"How dare people get paid a living wage, it might devalue our pensions and social security, which are currently destroying the economy and wealth of future generations!!!" <--- maybe the gif will help illustrate this situation for you. (Sam Beckett was not a boomer, fyi.)

/\/\/\

giphy.gif

Anyways, we all lift together, and the boomer generation's poop does stink.

Edited by Paulus

2 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Also puts all small business owners out of business.      Small details ??‍♂️??

This is so important.  A $15 minimum wage causes many problems.  I work for a company that bills NYS medicaid.  We pay our staff between 11.60 (min wage) and 13.10 an hour.  We already can't compete with fast food who has a current min wage of $12.75.  Right now in NYS you can make more flipping burgers than you can taking care of the elderly/sick.  Which job is more important? 

Small businesses can't stay afloat paying competitive wages while charging prices to compete with Amazon, Wal Mart, etc.  Further, this wage is putting a lot of people out of work.  McDs and a lot of fast food places have started using kiosks for ordering, when you go to the store you now check yourself out.  The answer isn't less people more money which is what raising the min wage does.  Further it creates a crunch in the middle.  Someone currently making 15/hour is almost 4 dollars above min wage and lives that lifestyle.  When everyone makes 15/hr they fall to the poverty line. 

Fast food jobs shouldn't be counted on to make a living wage.  There are jobs that are meant to be held by teens/people just entering the work force to gain experience.  If you are 40 and working at McD's you have made some poor life choices.  I support and approve of social welfare programs to help people get on their feet or get through a tough time.  Raising min wage will push a lot more people down than it will lift up.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, Paulus said:

1) I am far from a leftist. I just get annoyed when boomers get all high and mighty. Seriously, boomers lived in a world where America did have a better quality of life, relative to the rest of the world, than people do now. Why is it so hard to accept responsibility for failing future generations? Instead, bitching about "muh millenials" is so much easier. 

\/ \/ \/

"How dare people get paid a living wage, it might devalue our pensions and social security, which are currently destroying the economy and wealth of future generations!!!" <--- maybe the gif will help illustrate this situation for you. (Sam Beckett was not a boomer, fyi.)

/\/\/\

giphy.gif

Except your occasional posts here belie that. Leftists believe that the government should control things like wages and pensions*. You seem unhappy and need a culprit to blame that on. Good luck.

*Going the way of the doo doo bird

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

1) I am far from a leftist. I just get annoyed when boomers get all high and mighty. Seriously, boomers lived in a world where America did have a better quality of life, relative to the rest of the world, than people do now. Why is it so hard to accept responsibility for failing future generations? Instead, bitching about "muh millenials" is so much easier

\/ \/ \/

/\/\/\

giphy.gif

What's ironic is those boomers complain about millennials not taking personal responsibility and blaming others...exactly what you are doing in this post.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Paulus said:

\/ \/ \/

/\/\/\

giphy.gif

You sure seem like a leftist blaming your woes firmly on someone else.  You got a problem with what us boomers have done then stop your bitching ya punk and ***** fix it! 

5 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Except your occasional posts here belie that. Leftists believe that the government should control things like wages and pensions*. You seem unhappy and need a culprit to blame that on. Good luck.

*Going the way of the doo doo bird

My liberal friends think I'm too conservative. And, my conservative friends think I'm too liberal. I'm fine with it. I do think a livable wage is fair government regulation of the wealth of this country. People gotta eat, guys. Building a wall to help control wage abuse and the economy would also makes sense.

5 hours ago, Whatnot78 said:

What's ironic is those boomers complain about millennials not taking personal responsibility and blaming others...exactly what you are doing in this post.

Wait, I'm not blaming. I'm pointing out fact. Social security, retirements, and other pension like things all suffer from raising minimum wage. You guys seem to just think poor people will get replace by robots, but boomers will suffer with a $15 min wage. It would be a fairly significant amount of suffering, too. 

On 7/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, IDBillzFan said:

This is big pile of horseschitt. The reason you feel like this is because you're a devout leftist, and as a devout leftist, you're asssssshole deep in entitlement.

The "average quality of life" in America is a hundred times better than the "best quality of life" pretty much, y'know, anywhere in the world. Opportunities are everywhere IF you are willing to do what is required to take advantage of them.

The problem is that in the media-saturated world of risk/reward, kids are taught that they're special just the way they are, and that everyone is equal in intelligence and effort, so it's simply not fair that some people work to earn more than others. Is it any wonder we read about millennials calling their mommy from work because the boss hurt their feelings.

Anyone can become anything in this country. Anyone.

And you know how we know this? Because anyone HAS become anything in this country.

If you're too lazy or stupid to figure this out, fine, but do the rest of the world a favor and STFU with this whole quality of life thing because you literally have no clue what you're whining about. It's just more whining.

I go on vacation and come back and you are an even bigger Richard licker! Congrats! 

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Goodbye drive-thru guy.   

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/10/mcdonalds-acquires-ai-company-trying-to-automate-the-drive-thru.html

Can't imagine it's very hard to have a robot flipping burgers either.....

San Fran has a place, called Creator, which goes even further and does the full assembly line. It gets pretty good reviews.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Hedge said:

San Fran has a place, called Creator, which goes even further and does the full assembly line. It gets pretty good reviews.

I'll have to check it out.

I'm starting to notice the fully robotic coffee bars now.

Can someone tell me why we don’t simply tie the minimum wage to an automatic annual raise indexed to inflation? Or would that be way to simple for these congressional morons? Companies could then budget for it. The increases would be really small on an annual basis. They do this with Social Security and other federal programs.

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can someone tell me why we don’t simply tie the minimum wage to an automatic annual raise indexed to inflation? Or would that be way to simple for these congressional morons? Companies could then budget for it. The increases would be really small on an annual basis. They do this with Social Security and other federal programs.

the idea is to get a job that:

1) ties you to a government or union and keeps you employed (not happy though) with a large pension at the end if you don't expire first

or

2) the free market of possibly getting fired tomorrow but higher rewards for success

(it's fun when people who make a lot of money realize they are really in the first category, then they start to complain..... like all the doctors i know...)

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You're mixing up State & Federal. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 an hour while each state sets their own. Some cities set their own too. Because a one size fits all approach wouldn't take into account the different conditions and abnormalities in each state it wouldn't work. Besides there's a good chance the federal minimum wage is unconstitutional anyway. Here's a chart:

https://www.minimum-wage.org/wage-by-state

State Name Minimum Wage Rate Department Name Rate Adjusted Yearly
Alabama $7.25 / hour Alabama Department of Labor  
Alaska $9.89 / hour Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
Arizona $11.00 / hour Industrial Commission of Arizona  
Arkansas $9.25 / hour Arkansas Department of Labor  
California $12.00 / hour California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the Office of the Labor Commissioner  
Colorado $11.10 / hour Colorado Department of Labor and Employment  
Connecticut $10.10 / hour Connecticut Department of Labor  
Delaware $8.75 / hour Delaware Department of Labor  
Florida $8.46 / hour Florida Division of Workforce Services  
Georgia $7.25 / hour Georgia Department of Labor  
Hawaii $10.10 / hour Hawaii Department of Labor & Industrial Relations  
Idaho $7.25 / hour Idaho Department of Labor  
Illinois $8.25 / hour Illinois Department of Labor  
Indiana $7.25 / hour Indiana Department of Labor  
Iowa $7.25 / hour Iowa Labor Services Division  
Kansas $7.25 / hour Kansas Department of Labor  
Kentucky $7.25 / hour Kentucky Labor Cabinet  
Louisiana $7.25 / hour Louisiana Workforce Commission  
Maine $11.00 / hour Maine Department of Labor  
Maryland $10.10 / hour Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation  
Massachusetts $12.00 / hour Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development  
Michigan $9.45 / hour Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)  
Minnesota $9.86 / hour Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry  
Mississippi $7.25 / hour Mississippi Department of Employment Security  
Missouri $8.60 / hour Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission  
Montana $8.50 / hour Montana Department of Labor and Industry  
Nebraska $9.00 / hour Nebraska Department of Labor  
Nevada $8.25 / hour Nevada Department of Business and Industry  
New Hampshire $7.25 / hour New Hampshire Department of Labor  
New Jersey $10.00 / hour New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
New Mexico $7.50 / hour New Mexico Department of Work Force Solutions  
New York $11.10 / hour New York Department of Labor  
North Carolina $7.25 / hour North Carolina Department of Labor  
North Dakota $7.25 / hour North Dakota Department of Labor  
Ohio $8.55 / hour Ohio Department of Commerce  
Oklahoma $7.25 / hour Oklahoma Department of Labor  
Oregon $11.25 / hour Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries  
Pennsylvania $7.25 / hour Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry  
Rhode Island $10.50 / hour Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training  
South Carolina $7.25 / hour South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations  
South Dakota $9.10 / hour South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation  
Tennessee $7.25 / hour Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development  
Texas $7.25 / hour Texas Workforce Commission  
Utah $7.25 / hour Utah Labor Commission  
Vermont $10.78 / hour Vermont Department of Labor  
Virginia $7.25 / hour Virginia Department of Labor and Industry  
Washington $12.00 / hour Washington Department of Labor and Industries  
West Virginia $8.75 / hour West Virginia Division of Labor  
Wisconsin $7.25 / hour Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development  
Wyoming $7.25 / hour Wyoming Department of Workforce Service  
Puerto Rico $6.55 / hour Puerto Rico Department of Labor and Human Resources  
District of Columbia $14.00 / hour District of Columbia Department of Employment Services  

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You're mixing up State & Federal. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 an hour while each state sets their own. Some cities set their own too. Because a one size fits all approach wouldn't take into account the different conditions and abnormalities in each state it wouldn't work. Besides there's a good chance the federal minimum wage is unconstitutional anyway. Here's a chart:

https://www.minimum-wage.org/wage-by-state

State Name Minimum Wage Rate Department Name Rate Adjusted Yearly
Alabama $7.25 / hour Alabama Department of Labor  
Alaska $9.89 / hour Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
Arizona $11.00 / hour Industrial Commission of Arizona  
Arkansas $9.25 / hour Arkansas Department of Labor  
California $12.00 / hour California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the Office of the Labor Commissioner  
Colorado $11.10 / hour Colorado Department of Labor and Employment  
Connecticut $10.10 / hour Connecticut Department of Labor  
Delaware $8.75 / hour Delaware Department of Labor  
Florida $8.46 / hour Florida Division of Workforce Services  
Georgia $7.25 / hour Georgia Department of Labor  
Hawaii $10.10 / hour Hawaii Department of Labor & Industrial Relations  
Idaho $7.25 / hour Idaho Department of Labor  
Illinois $8.25 / hour Illinois Department of Labor  
Indiana $7.25 / hour Indiana Department of Labor  
Iowa $7.25 / hour Iowa Labor Services Division  
Kansas $7.25 / hour Kansas Department of Labor  
Kentucky $7.25 / hour Kentucky Labor Cabinet  
Louisiana $7.25 / hour Louisiana Workforce Commission  
Maine $11.00 / hour Maine Department of Labor  
Maryland $10.10 / hour Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation  
Massachusetts $12.00 / hour Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development  
Michigan $9.45 / hour Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)  
Minnesota $9.86 / hour Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry  
Mississippi $7.25 / hour Mississippi Department of Employment Security  
Missouri $8.60 / hour Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission  
Montana $8.50 / hour Montana Department of Labor and Industry  
Nebraska $9.00 / hour Nebraska Department of Labor  
Nevada $8.25 / hour Nevada Department of Business and Industry  
New Hampshire $7.25 / hour New Hampshire Department of Labor  
New Jersey $10.00 / hour New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
New Mexico $7.50 / hour New Mexico Department of Work Force Solutions  
New York $11.10 / hour New York Department of Labor  
North Carolina $7.25 / hour North Carolina Department of Labor  
North Dakota $7.25 / hour North Dakota Department of Labor  
Ohio $8.55 / hour Ohio Department of Commerce  
Oklahoma $7.25 / hour Oklahoma Department of Labor  
Oregon $11.25 / hour Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries  
Pennsylvania $7.25 / hour Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry  
Rhode Island $10.50 / hour Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training  
South Carolina $7.25 / hour South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations  
South Dakota $9.10 / hour South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation  
Tennessee $7.25 / hour Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development  
Texas $7.25 / hour Texas Workforce Commission  
Utah $7.25 / hour Utah Labor Commission  
Vermont $10.78 / hour Vermont Department of Labor  
Virginia $7.25 / hour Virginia Department of Labor and Industry  
Washington $12.00 / hour Washington Department of Labor and Industries  
West Virginia $8.75 / hour West Virginia Division of Labor  
Wisconsin $7.25 / hour Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development  
Wyoming $7.25 / hour Wyoming Department of Workforce Service  
Puerto Rico $6.55 / hour Puerto Rico Department of Labor and Human Resources  
  $14.00 / hour    

What? You don’t say? Yes....I’m aware of minimum wage rates. But we do have a federal wage and it should be tied to inflation! States can do whatever they want above and beyond that. (The chart was unnecessary.)

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the idea is to get a job that:

1) ties you to a government or union and keeps you employed (not happy though) with a large pension at the end if you don't expire first

or

2) the free market of possibly getting fired tomorrow but higher rewards for success

(it's fun when people who make a lot of money realize they are really in the first category, then they start to complain..... like all the doctors i know...)

That’s a very nice little speech but I have no idea what you’re talking about. The real reason why it’s not tied to inflation is because officials on both sides like to keep it as an issue to run on every few years. It’s disgusting.

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? You don’t say? Yes....I’m aware of minimum wage rates. But we do have a federal wage and it should be tied to inflation! States can do whatever they want above and beyond that. (The chart was unnecessary.)

That’s a very nice little speech but I have no idea what you’re talking about. The real reason why it’s not tied to inflation is because officials on both sides like to keep it as an issue to run on every few years. It’s disgusting.

you came up with an INSTANT solving of inflation

i guess i should have bowed before your genius

this is all a big joke, nobody cares about helping people who are terminally unemployable and living on a pittance for income....

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you came up with an INSTANT solving of inflation

i guess i should have bowed before your genius

this is all a big joke, nobody cares about helping people who are terminally unemployable and living on a pittance for income....

You’re apparently not capable of higher level thinking. It’s NOT that politicians don’t care about terminally unemployable (by the way the wage itself means they ARE indeed employed...duh!). The reason they don’t tie it to inflation is not out of cruelty. It’s out of the self centered need to make this a wedge issue they can run on every few years. The sooner you realize that your government officials cares more about themselves than they do about the citizens of this country, the more informed you’ll be. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Angry-man-shouting-and-pointing-to-camerI made $1.80 minimum wage back in 1971, and was damn glad to have it.

arrived with 2 $1 Canadian dollar bills and an address in pencil, hoping they'd take me in and give me a job in constuction

then i could get settled and they'd send me a 14-year old neighbourhood girl to marry, never met her

(this is the story of a few people form the old country, they did just fine, eventually)

15 hours ago, B-Man said:

Angry-man-shouting-and-pointing-to-camerI made $1.80 minimum wage back in 1971, and was damn glad to have it.

I started working for my dad at his restaurant in 1975 at the age of 14. He sat me down in his office one day:

Dad:  Jim I’m going to give you a raise!!

Cook Jim:  You have to. They just raised the minimum wage 

Dad:  Why you little *****!  ?

Edited by Chef Jim

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I started working for my dad at his restaurant in 1975 at the age of 14. He sat me down in his office one day:

Dad:  Jim I’m going to give you a raise!!

Cook Jim:  You have to. They just raised the minimum wage 

Dad:  Why you little *****!  ?

LOL.

I worked at a gas station/car wash for about a year in the latter 70's in Buffalo area.  Full service back then, no self serve.  There was a crew of about 4 of us working at all times.  All part-timers mostly high school students.  Wage then was a bit over $2/hour and the minimum wage rose about 15 cents.  The boss gathered us to tell us.  Most of the conversation was about what we needed to do better/faster going forward.  We had been paid commission on sales of oil, trans fluid, windshield washer fluid and dry gas in the winter.  He reduced the commission.  Funny how that works. 

Edited by keepthefaith

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

Automation threatening 25% of jobs in the US, especially the 'boring and repetitive' ones: Brookings study

• One-quarter of American jobs are at a high risk of automation.
  • The disruption will hit certain people harder than others, including low-wage earners and men.
  • These are the findings of a new report by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, titled, Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How Machines Affect People and Places.

Nothing to do with paying a living wage 

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

Automation threatening 25% of jobs in the US, especially the 'boring and repetitive' ones: Brookings study

• One-quarter of American jobs are at a high risk of automation.
  • The disruption will hit certain people harder than others, including low-wage earners and men.
  • These are the findings of a new report by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, titled, Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How Machines Affect People and Places.

Nothing to do with paying a living wage 

As automation gets less expensive and as the cost to employ and provide benefits for low skilled labor rises, tasks done by humans will be reduced.  It's another argument FOR reducing illegal and low skilled immigration. 

The auto industry has already experienced this as MANY higher paid union factory workers have been replaced in the plants with automation.