$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

Must be nice!

CEOs at the biggest companies got a 4.5 percent pay raise last year. That's almost double the typical American worker's, and a lot more than investors earned from owning their stocks — a big fat zero.

The typical chief executive in the Standard & Poor's 500 index made $10.8 million, including bonuses, stock awards and other compensation, according to a study by executive data firm Equilar for The Associated Press. That's up from the median of $10.3 million the same group of CEOs made a year earlier.

The raise alone for median CEO pay last year, $468,449, is more than 10 times what the typical U.S. worker makes in a year. The median full-time worker earned $809 weekly in 2015, up from $791 in 2014.

"With inflation running at less than 2 percent, why?" asks Charles Elson, director of the John L. Weinberg Center for Corporate Governance at the University of Delaware.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ceo-pay-climbs-stock-prices-39360502

Sure hope this doesn't lead to inflation or automation

The folks screaming for $15 per hour are surely going to use this to say they are right.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/09/mcdonalds-wages/

The problem is that $15 per hour is just an arbitrary number that advocates have latched onto to provide a "more dignified, livable wage" for those already in low-paying jobs. What McDonalds' voluntary wage increase did was offer incentive for greater productivity and to attract a higher caliber worker.

Edited by Azalin

The folks screaming for $15 per hour are surely going to use this to say they are right.

http://fortune.com/2016/03/09/mcdonalds-wages/

Well, if they are using this as their perceived proof that raising the minimum wage would improve service and quality across the board, they would be wrong.

If a company unilaterally raises their pay above the minimum wage then it's natural to see that company have improved services because it is above the bottom basement floor in wages, and that they would have more leverage in attracting better employees.

However, if the minimum wage is raised via mandate that wouldn't improve quality because all that was done is that the basement floor was raised. The same folks for the most part that were working at the previous minimum wage didn't disappear off the map, they simply stayed where they were and are now receiving the new minimum wage adjustment.

It's not as if they had some sort of epiphany and realized that they all of a sudden should begin to work with more diligence and effort. It's still the bottom basement floor of wages.

Edited by Magox

Nothing? Where did you read that?

So further proof that you not only don't read the articles you post but the parts of the articles you cut and paste as part of your post. :wallbash:

BTW I think it's interesting that the left vilifies CEO's but gives a big pass to their movie star and actor darlings. When was the last time that you saw someone on the left point out the huge income disparity between movie stars and the regular employees that are a huge part of the success of the industry. Or how much professional athletes make compared to the low life workers who scrub up the showers after them. Why all the hate to only CEO's?

Edited by Chef Jim

Nothing? Where did you read that?

Your quote:

CEOs at the biggest companies got a 4.5 percent pay raise last year. That's almost double the typical American worker's, and a lot more than investors earned from owning their stocks — a big fat zero.

I think that amounts to nothing, you !@#$ing idiot.

So further proof that you not only don't read the articles you post but the parts of the articles you cut and paste as part of your post. :wallbash:

BTW I think it's interesting that the left vilifies CEO's but gives a big pass to their movie star and actor darlings. When was the last time that you saw someone on the left point out the huge income disparity between movie stars and the regular employees that are a huge part of the success of the industry. Or how much professional athletes make compared to the low life workers who scrub up the showers after them. Why all the hate to only CEO's?

It's making a simple argument. Why is their pay going up when no one else's is? Fair enough question

You: Don't question Trump paying no taxes, don't question inequality, don't think!

Your quote:

I think that amounts to nothing, you !@#$ing idiot.

Got me there, I was wrong. That part of article is kind of wrong, but main point is right. Stock market has been flat since 2014, though

Edited by Tiberius

It's making a simple argument. Why is their pay going up when no one else's is? Fair enough question

You: Don't question Trump paying no taxes, don't question inequality, don't think!

Got me there, I was wrong. That part of article is kind of wrong, but main point is right. Stock market has been flat since 2014, though

What? That part of the article is kind of wrong but it's also right? You are like the gag gift that keeps on giving.

So you're lying too? I see you and the author are a good pair.

I don't question Trump not paying taxes. I question a system that allows someone like Trump legally (I assume because he has not released his returns) to not pay any taxes. BTW do you have evidence that Trump pays no taxes?

Oh and what does the flat market have to so with all 500 companies not making their investors any money (that's a lie BTW).

Edited by Chef Jim

So you're lying too? I see you and the author are a good pair.

I don't question Trump not paying taxes. I question a system that allows someone like Trump legally (I assume because he has not released his returns) to not pay any taxes. BTW do you have evidence that Trump pays no taxes?

Oh and what does the flat market have to so with all 500 companies not making their investors any money (that's a lie BTW).

He weakened his point by looking at market, but the main thing was about wages. CEO pay increased, most everyone else's didn't

And yes there is evidence Trump paid no taxes. You look it up

He weakened his point by looking at market, but the main thing was about wages. CEO pay increased, most everyone else's didn't

He invalidated his point by saying something really effing stupid and you fell for it. Bravo.

How did Trump pay no taxes?

He invalidated his point by saying something really effing stupid and you fell for it. Bravo.

How did Trump pay no taxes?

In your eyes it was invalidated just because

You didn't look it up? No surprise :worthy:

If Trump paid no taxes or a low tax rate but followed the law in doing so does that make him a bad guy?

In your eyes it was invalidated just because

You didn't look it up? No surprise :worthy:

I don't listen to people that either lie or make dumb ass claims.

I don't need to look it up. You're the one claiming he paid no taxes. So show the proof he paid none and explain how he was able to do that. I'm just asking you to back up your claim. You know...debate tactics.

If Trump paid no taxes or a low tax rate but followed the law in doing so does that make him a bad guy?

God forbid you blame the government system that allowed him to do that.