$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

Yes, They'll be cheaper than they would have been.

I wish there was some level of satisfaction I could get out of watching how badly the SoProg $15 minimum wage group is going to lose this battle, but in the end, it's just going to inflate the unemployment rolls, at which time they'll stop arguing for $15/hour and start arguing that 99 weeks of unemployment is not nearly enough.

I wish there was some level of satisfaction I could get out of watching how badly the SoProg $15 minimum wage group is going to lose this battle, but in the end, it's just going to inflate the unemployment rolls, at which time they'll stop arguing for $15/hour and start arguing that 99 weeks of unemployment is not nearly enough.

And those 99 weeks of unemployment will stimulate the economy so people will go out and order hamburgers from kiosks

Will the hamburgers be cheaper now?

Of course not, why would they be?

They've had to make major capital outlays for the development, production and implementation of the new systems, all of which became necessary when it became clear the traditionally cost effective means of delivering a cheap hamburger was being destroyed by politicians elected by retards like you.

The good news: robot repair jobs typical pay at least $15/hr.

Of course not, why would they be?

They've had to make major capital outlays for the development, production and implementation of the new systems, all of which became necessary when it became clear the traditionally cost effective means of delivering a cheap hamburger was being destroyed by politicians elected by retards like you.

The good news: robot repair jobs typical pay at least $15/hr.

Yes, but sadly we won't need as many robot repair technicians as the laid off order takers. But if we tax those technicians high enough we can afford the unemployment benefits for the 18 year-old who has already experienced his/her professional zenith.

Yes, but sadly we won't need as many robot repair technicians as the laid off order takers. But if we tax those technicians high enough we can afford the unemployment benefits for the 18 year-old who has already experienced his/her professional zenith.

No, no, they've become 'too discouraged' to look for a job. At 18.

In cities where the high minimum wage has destroyed the employment rate, the Progs start blaming the CEO's for cutting labor rather than reducing their salary to minimum wage too.

Liberals are masters at creating problems they can blame on Republicans.

No, no, they've become 'too discouraged' to look for a job. At 18.

You mean they will have dropped out of the workforce and won't be counted as unemployed? I just had an epiphany. If we raised the minimum wage even further we could get more people to drop out of the workforce thus lowering unemployment even further.

Edited by 3rdnlng

You mean they will have dropped out of the workforce and won't be counted as unemployed? I just had an epiphany. If we raised the minimum wage even further we could get more people to drop out of the workforce thus lowering unemployment even further.

Welcome to the Democratic Party.

They don't have cookies, but I'm sure they can get them from someone who does.

New Obama rule

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9

I am reading a book on the New Deal now and the part on the how the Wagner Act was passed was interesting. The screaming over the economic carnage it was to cause was deafening, yet it, for awhile, helped create the large middle class until the factories started going overseas. The act forced businesses to recognize unions and bargain with them.

New Obama rule

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/obama-overtime-pay_us_5727b961e4b0bc9cb0442db9

I am reading a book on the New Deal now and the part on the how the Wagner Act was passed was interesting. The screaming over the economic carnage it was to cause was deafening, yet it, for awhile, helped create the large middle class until the factories started going overseas. The act forced businesses to recognize unions and bargain with them.

This is one area where I agree with Obama. The $23K threshold which is about $11 per hour is a very low threshold for a "manager" or commissioned employee. I don't agree on doubling it to $47K per year but it needs to be increased IMO.

This is one area where I agree with Obama. The $23K threshold which is about $11 per hour is a very low threshold for a "manager" or commissioned employee. I don't agree on doubling it to $47K per year but it needs to be increased IMO.

I won't tell anyone you agree with Obama

This is the sort of thing that should be handled by the states. Much like a federal minimum wage standard, it makes no sense to apply the same standard in rural Alabama as you would apply in San Francisco or New York City.

Today's Democrat has no need for state lines.

I'll throw this here....................

1099 NATION: Obama extends overtime pay to 4.2 million Americans.

The updated rule, which takes effect Dec. 1 and doubles the salary threshold below which workers automatically qualify for time-and-a-half wages to $47,476 from $23,660 a year, or from $455 to $913 a week. Hourly workers are generally guaranteed overtime pay regardless of what they make.

“We’re strengthening our overtime pay rules to make sure millions of Americans’ hard work is rewarded,” President Obama said in a statement. “If you work more than 40 hours a week, you should get paid for it or get extra time off to spend with your family and loved ones.”

But the NPR writeup adds this:

“What our members have told us, what many other employers have told us, is there’s not a golden pot of money out there sitting in employers’ pockets where they can all of a sudden pay a lot more overtime pay,” said David French, vice president of the National Retail Federation. “
Instead, they’re going to make the rational change and they’re going to change jobs.”

Dropping full-time workers with their costly benefits and overtime requirements, then hiring new workers as 1099 employees, means never having to say you’re sorry for supporting Obama.

And one more thing:

Secretary Perez says employers have a variety of ways they can comply with the new rule when it takes effect Dec. 1. “People are going to get at least one of three benefits,” Perez said. “They’re either going to get more money … more time with their family, or everybody is going to get clarity.”

Clarity?

I'll throw this here....................

1099 NATION: Obama extends overtime pay to 4.2 million Americans.

The updated rule, which takes effect Dec. 1 and doubles the salary threshold below which workers automatically qualify for time-and-a-half wages to $47,476 from $23,660 a year, or from $455 to $913 a week. Hourly workers are generally guaranteed overtime pay regardless of what they make.

“We’re strengthening our overtime pay rules to make sure millions of Americans’ hard work is rewarded,” President Obama said in a statement. “If you work more than 40 hours a week, you should get paid for it or get extra time off to spend with your family and loved ones.”

But the NPR writeup adds this:

“What our members have told us, what many other employers have told us, is there’s not a golden pot of money out there sitting in employers’ pockets where they can all of a sudden pay a lot more overtime pay,” said David French, vice president of the National Retail Federation. “Instead, they’re going to make the rational change and they’re going to change jobs.”

Dropping full-time workers with their costly benefits and overtime requirements, then hiring new workers as 1099 employees, means never having to say you’re sorry for supporting Obama.

And one more thing:

Secretary Perez says employers have a variety of ways they can comply with the new rule when it takes effect Dec. 1. “People are going to get at least one of three benefits,” Perez said. “They’re either going to get more money … more time with their family, or everybody is going to get clarity.”

Clarity?

What exquisite timing. It won't do too much to hurt the Obama economy since it's put into place right before he leaves office. If the next president chooses to rescind it he/she will alienate 4.2 million people. Nice conundrum for the next president. Is there nothing Obama won't do to try to make himself look better?

obama is a fool and this country's biggest mistake. i hope he is remembered as the complete and abysmal jackass that he is - which has destroyed the united states of america.

He will have most of the media and liberal academic historians on his side but even with that there should be a number of books published in the next several years which should be great reads about his awful presidency.