RG 1+1+1

Okay. Those things are all true. But you're missing one crucial part. He has looked timid and slow ever since he got hurt in the playoffs because of Shanny. I think we all expected a drop off after that great first year, but his injury has left him a shell of himself. RG3 again played in 2013 not fully healthy.

He has looked timid and slow running. Teams have thus been able to force him to try and beat them from the pocket and that is where he has struggled and continues to struggle. What the Shanahans did well that first year was design plays to move the pocket or allow RGIII to get out before throwing. No argument from me that he should not have gone back in to that play-off game, I question whether he should have started it in the first place the ligament that tore was already sprained in the previous incident that kept him out of a regular season game in my opinion. But whether through injury or through defenses catching up there was always going to come a point when teams were going to force him to beat them from the pocket, I'm not convinced that is something he will ever excel at.

Edited by GunnerBill

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay. Those things are all true. But you're missing one crucial part. He has looked timid and slow ever since he got hurt in the playoffs because of Shanny. I think we all expected a drop off after that great first year, but his injury has left him a shell of himself. RG3 again played in 2013 not fully healthy.

This guy was going to get hurt no matter what--he just missed half the season again! At Baylor, he was never touched.

He can't play here. The Shanahan's only proved this a year ago.

This guy was going to get hurt no matter what--he just missed half the season again! At Baylor, he was never touched.

He can't play here. The Shanahan's only proved this a year ago.

Would RG3 have played better last year if Shanny didn't send him out there for his knee to explode in 2012? I think so.

Edited by FireChan

The knee injury wrecked the key part of his game, which is his running ability. I don't think he was inherently any more fragile than Russell Wilson, for example. He was just ruined by a greedy coach, and in truth by his own selfish desire to go be superman in that playoff game. I think he will never regain the full speed and mobility he had before, which is a real shame, because he was a lot of fun to watch (and I am definitely not a Skins fan).

Was the trade a bad one? Well, the Rams seem to have screwed up most of the draft picks they got, and RGIII isn't much good anymore, so this looks like a classic lose-lose.

Would RG3 have played better last year if Shanny didn't send him out there for his knee to explode in 2012? I think so.

The knee injury wrecked the key part of his game, which is his running ability. I don't think he was inherently any more fragile than Russell Wilson, for example. He was just ruined by a greedy coach, and in truth by his own selfish desire to go be superman in that playoff game. I think he will never regain the full speed and mobility he had before, which is a real shame, because he was a lot of fun to watch (and I am definitely not a Skins fan).

Was the trade a bad one? Well, the Rams seem to have screwed up most of the draft picks they got, and RGIII isn't much good anymore, so this looks like a classic lose-lose.

There is no reason to believe that this kid would not been injured again and again. Others have come back from ACL repair and they aren't crippled by "fear" that they will be injured again. He sucked last year because Defenses figured out how to beat a one trick pony. Then he got injured again this year. Now he's back and he's no good again. I have no doubt he would still be exactly where he is right now if Shanny never put him back in that game.

There is no reason to believe that this kid would not been injured again and again. Others have come back from ACL repair and they aren't crippled by "fear" that they will be injured again. He sucked last year because Defenses figured out how to beat a one trick pony. Then he got injured again this year. Now he's back and he's no good again. I have no doubt he would still be exactly where he is right now if Shanny never put him back in that game.

Others have come back from ACL's never the same player. But this all speculation anyway.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different game. That happens to me I'm finding out :rolleyes:. It was Gary Anderson obviously.

After his tank job as a Bills draft pick, he'll always be !@#$ing Gary !@#$ing Anderson to me!

The Seahawks still run it all the time. Wilson is a terrific QB though.

Then, I'm going to blame whoever said it above! B-)

I've not like RG. He's imature, doesn't read offenses well, his comments about other players really hacked off his coach, using the media against Shanahan, and so on.

I don't see the Rams as squandering though. If you look at their defensive front, they are pretty darn good, and their line is getting better. They just beat the Broncos. Maybe there is hope for us. Oh, that's right they have Jeff Fisher and we have Meathead Marrone. Sorry, I couldn't resist as my patience after 1.5 years has finally worn out with Marrone.

He'd better fire Hacket at the end of the year and get a very experienced OC who can do something with our talent.

The Seahawks still run it all the time. Wilson is a terrific QB though.

Gruden blasted teams for running the read option a week or two back on MNF. I think it was when Cam Newton was playing. Basically he was saying, if I was an owner paying all those millions for the most important position on the field, I'm not sure I'd let my coach have him running around getting hit all the time. It's going to come back and haunt you.

Others have come back from ACL's never the same player. But this all speculation anyway.

Speculation maybe, but watch the lowlights from that game--he is moving around completely unemcumbered by any injury. He just doesn't knwo where his receivers are.

I'm gonna say there are no physical effects of that injury in his game. If he was never injured, we would be seeing the same thing: defenses have taken away his scrambling ability and he is no where near as intelligent as Russel Wilson.

Speculation maybe, but watch the lowlights from that game--he is moving around completely unemcumbered by any injury. He just doesn't knwo where his receivers are.

I'm gonna say there are no physical effects of that injury in his game. If he was never injured, we would be seeing the same thing: defenses have taken away his scrambling ability and he is no where near as intelligent as Russel Wilson.

He is aware that he needs to alter his style of play. But it is so ingrained in him (using athleticism) instead of reading plays and going through progressions that he is struggling with playing the more conventional style of game. He is like a right handed person required to now do things with his left hand. At this point It is too unnatural and disorienting.

The Shanahans tried to work with him but he was resistant to their tutelage. So what happened is that they allowed this diva to do his thing knowing that this hardheaded prima donna was going to fail because of his own stubborness.

This former supremely confident player is panicking over his inability to execute the simple plays. In hindsight the worst thing that happened to him was that he had success in his rookie season without working on the fundamental and mental side of the game. Now that he is in his third year he has not mastered the basics of the game (footwork, progressions, pocket awareness etc) because he was too full of himself to listen to what the coaches were trying to teach him about the pro game.

Shanahan is an old school hard nosed coach who knows how to coach qbs. RGIII is a narcisstic Diva who spent more time establishing his brand rather than working on his game. Although he tries to demonstrate his bravado in reality he is very insecure and can't take criticisms very well.

His teammates are getting tired of his act, his coaches are tired of his act and the fans are tired of his act. He is a player with immense talents. But until he gets his act together and is willing to put in the time and effort to work on his very unpolished game he will be another afterthought bust.

There are many questions about EJ's game. But with him you are dealing with someone who is mature and has a very good work ethic. If he doesn't succeed it won't be because he didn't put in the effort and wasn't receptive to coaching.

How has nobody mentioned this little nugget from Steve Young yesterday?

“I’ve talked to his previous coaches, people I really trust and admire, that know quarterbacks. He doesn’t put the time in,” Young said.

You can't do that and be successful in the NFL imo. RG3 strikes me as the guy who got by on physical talent and never had to put the work in. Now that he does, he doesn't know how to.

If he was never injured, we would be seeing the same thing: defenses have taken away his scrambling ability and he is no where near as intelligent as Russel Wilson.

Nor is he as accurate from the pocket. I am not lauding Wilson as the second coming of a Brady or a Manning but he can stand in the pocket, go through his progressions and deliver an accurate throw to a kind of just above the middle of the pack NFL Quarterback level. When you add that to his ability outside he pocket, his intelligence, his leadership and his ability to make plays with his legs you have someone who overall is capable of performing at a relatively high and consistent level.

Even if you have all of those other bits... if you are in the bottom third of NFL starting Quarterbacks from the pocket (and I would argue RGIII is) then you are going to hit trouble somewhere along the line.

I agree with you WEO... I think the injury might have heightened his struggles because it knocked his confidence outside of the pocket, but even without it we would be seeing him struggle to replicate that rookie year... because he doesn't read defenses well enough and he isn't a natural pocket passer.

I think I've said before Kurt Warner did an excellent piece on him before the injury this season. He broke down a number of plays and was able to take you through what the Quarterback should be looking for when deciding where to go with the ball and RGIII was not recongising what Warner was saying he should be and that is his most fundamental problem.

@caplannfl

@gregcosell on RG3: "It's not very good (his tape). It's very bad. He's at the point where he needs remedial training. He needs QB class."

I heard that yesterday on the Cowherd show--interviewed Cossell. He said RG3 would need "complete remediation in the offseason", that someone would have to start from scratch to try to teach him how to be an NFL QB. No one will do this. It will be discard and try again. What a nightmare pick....will ruin them for years.

Same interview..he said that P Manning has a substandard arm at this point..

I heard that yesterday on the Cowherd show--interviewed Cossell. He said RG3 would need "complete remediation in the offseason", that someone would have to start from scratch to try to teach him how to be an NFL QB. No one will do this. It will be discard and try again. What a nightmare pick....will ruin them for years.

What if Chip Kelly grabs him?

I'll bet Dan Snyder will be too stubborn to give up on RGIII.

They'd be stupid to put McCoy in now in a lost season. They have to play Griffin and see what he's got.

I agree...... but you only really get any benefit of that if there is a genuine chance that they move on from RGIII if the performances don't get any better. The old phrase that if you have 2 starting quarterbacks you have no starting quarterbacks apples to the Redskins at the moment..... they have a really confused situation back there. If you are sticking with RGIII long term no matter what then at some point you gotta decide between Cousins and McCoy as the back up.