Should the Bills give Orton a contract extension at the end of the...

I know it's only 4 games, but I can't help being impressed with Kyle Orton, especially when you consider he was not here for OTA's, minicamp, training camp and all 5 preseason games. Each week, Orton is getting better as he is having a better feel for the offense and gains more chemistry with his receivers. If Orton keeps progressing, should the Bills sign him to a contract extension at the end of the year?

Edited by Jerry Jabber

He certainly seems to be in a better situation than his last two or three stops.

I agree. IMO, both the Bears & Broncos were greedy and wanted more out of the QB position. From talking Bears fans during the Lovie Smith era, they weren't happy unless they won a Super Bowl so anything less than a Super Bowl victory was unacceptable. In Denver, Orton put up good numbers (had 3600+ passing yards & 20TD's in two consecutive seasons), but it seemed they wanted more and when the Broncos used a 1st round pick on Tebow, management wanted Tebow as the starter. So I feel this is a great situation for Orton to be in right now.

Sure let's jump the gun and give him big money halfway through the year. That worked out well with Fitz

In my first post, I said at the end if the season and if Orton keeps playing at the level he is at now or better. So, how is that jumping the gun?

If the Bills sign Orton (at the end of the season) to a 4-5 year extension, they can focus on plugging in the remaining holes on the team, such as the Guard positions, and gain more depth.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I don't see that as the smart move. My reasoning is he has always wanted to be the starter and take a team to the promised land. He is getting 5.5 mil for two years so if he takes us to the playoffs (God should I say it as we can win many of these games and end 10-6), and he comes out strong next year, why not prolong the cap hit to future years, and give him that contract at game 6 next year.

Then we have an option of reworking Mario's contract as he is not worth $16 mil at that age mid year next year, but can still make very good DE money. I'd love for Orton to lead us, and get locked up for 3 more years after next for decent money.

we have to keep the other talented guys we have so it is a matter of balancing your money. The cap will go up in two years, and we can backload money to Orton if he really turns out to be a stud. I see him getting better as he did not have an off season or training camp, and he still threw four touchdowns today.

What I love is some of these late pick ups on defense like Charles, Wynn, and even Lawson showing up today.

Let's punish the Chiefs in two weeks!

There is no reason Orton can't be the starter for the next couple of years. In fact put that to our advantage and draft the future QB while Kyle is still playing. That way you take your time, not draft someone because you have to like we did with EJ.

I know it's only 4 games, but I can't help being impressed with Kyle Orton, especially when you consider he was not here for OTA's, minicamp, training camp and all 5 preseason games. Each week, Orton is getting better as he is having a better feel for the offense and gains more chemistry with his receivers. If Orton keeps progressing, should the Bills sign him to a contract extension at the end of the year?

Yes, but he should get some lessons in mobility :D

I can't understand why people are so vehemently opposed to this. If he continues to play at this level for the remainder of the season, and the Bills make the playoffs, why would you be opposed to a reasonable extension for Orton?

He could conceivably be a legit starting QB for a few years, buying Buffalo some time so they can draft a QB to be groomed as his replacement. With everyone healthy, Orton has a bounty of weapons to play with. I would think that he sees the potential of this team, and would be motivated to end his career on a high note.

Just think about his impact on Sammy Watkins alone. With EJ under center, he perhaps would have been deemed a disappointment; a poor personnel decision. With Orton, Sammy is virtually a lock for OROY and likely a pro-bowler.

Give Kyle a chance.

I can't understand why people are so vehemently opposed to this. If he continues to play at this level for the remainder of the season, and the Bills make the playoffs, why would you be opposed to a reasonable extension for Orton?

He could conceivably be a legit starting QB for a few years, buying Buffalo some time so they can draft a QB to be groomed as his replacement. With everyone healthy, Orton has a bounty of weapons to play with. I would think that he sees the potential of this team, and would be motivated to end his career on a high note.

Just think about his impact on Sammy Watkins alone. With EJ under center, he perhaps would have been deemed a disappointment; a poor personnel decision. With Orton, Sammy is virtually a lock for OROY and likely a pro-bowler.

Give Kyle a chance.

+1

Clearly, the Fitz experience will have everyone running away from this one. At the end of the year, if the Bills make the playoffs, or hell, let's go crazy and say if they just post a winning record for the first time in a decade, I'd see if KO was amenable to extending for 2 more years at $5-6M/year. Let him start and let EJ groom. If you really don't think EJ is it, then draft a QB in late rounds 2015, or wait until early rounds 2016. Face it, we don't have the draft picks next year to do this, and we need guards and a TE badly. Fix the QB position and free up those draft picks to plug the holes in 2015.

Edited by Fred Jackson Jockstrap

Why? They signed him to w two year deal so there is no need to even worry about it at this point.

Clearly, the Fitz experience will have everyone running away from this one. At the end of the year, if the Bills make the playoffs, or hell, let's go crazy and say if they just post a winning record for the first time in a decade, I'd see if KO was amenable to extending for 2 more years at $5-6M/year. Let him start and let EJ groom. If you really don't think EJ is it, then draft a QB in late 2015, or wait until early 2016. Face it, we don't have the draft picks next year to do this, and we need guards and a TE badly. Fix the QB position and free up those draft picks to plug the holes in 2015.

This makes a lot of sense (except drafting a QB in late 2015 - it's either '15 or '16).

Ok.

My point is wait until the seasons over and gauge the situation from there.

Totally agree.

There is no need now. He's played well but he is still a journeyman until he proves over a season that he is not.

That said, he's never had the weapons we have. He could be good enough in the Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jeff Hostetler kind of way.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Last time we gave a Qb an extension, his game went way south

Yea.... all the way to Houston!

I used to be a banker and there was a saying.... just because you had a loan on a blue car go bad, it didn't mean all blue cars were bad. You have to be smart enough to evaluate every situation. Are you saying we can't EVER extend a QB, or you don't believe in THIS QB?

Sorry, I meant late in the 2015 draft, or early in the 2016 draft. Fixing it.

Should have guessed - that makes sense.

With each wek I'm becoming more convinced we found a real gem here in Orton. It would be awesome if this developed into of situation like a Kurt Warner or Rich Gannon where they bounced around with various teams and then found greatness late in their careers.

I know he has a 2 year contract, but I think if Orton keeps playing at this level

(Or better), than I feel he could be our QB for the near future (4-5 years). Orton is 31, so he's not old by QB standards.

I hope the Bills don't make the same mistake as they did with Fitz. Orton must take this team to the playoffs before talking about contract extension

Totally agree.

There is no need now. He's played well but he is still a journeyman until he proves over a season that he is not.

That said, he's never had the weapons we have. He could be good enough in the Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Jeff Hostetler kind of way.

Hey man, all of those quarterbacks are white, average, and one of them even had a moustache.

image.jpg

There is no reason Orton can't be the starter for the next couple of years. In fact put that to our advantage and draft the future QB while Kyle is still playing. That way you take your time, not draft someone because you have to like we did with EJ.

Can a team do that?