CJ Spiller now has an Agent: Extension or UFA?

Given the way RBs aren't getting good contracts, a shorter term with maybe a tad more $ may be the way to go if they are interested in extending him. His rookie deal paid him about 5-6 mil per season.

Anyone opposed to 3 years and 15-16 mil?

Given the way RBs aren't getting good contracts, a shorter term with maybe a tad more $ may be the way to go if they are interested in extending him. His rookie deal paid him about 5-6 mil per season.

Anyone opposed to 3 years and 15-16 mil?

Hell no, I'm not opposed! It ain't my money! Spiller is capable of a home run every time he touches the ball. I only pray our OC figures out how to use him. I'm go an be bummed if he walks after this year, because he'd be a superstar on a great team that can get him the ball...

He's a role player I'd love them to keep.... At a role player price of course. Yes he's an elite athlete, but he's a 12 touch per game player which will mean he should expect to discount his services.

By the way on rb's was anyone else impressed that Fredie and CJ helped Bryce brown off the field when his leg got hammered? Good teammates man....

Franchise tag for a year. If he does well next year then extend him. If not draft a mid round replacement next year.

Probably not the type of player they'd tag.

Hell no, I'm not opposed! It ain't my money! Spiller is capable of a home run every time he touches the ball. I only pray our OC figures out how to use him. I'm go an be bummed if he walks after this year, because he'd be a superstar on a great team that can get him the ball...

729 touches from scrimmage in 4 seasons, producing 17 TD's and 4,091 yards.

I suspect they'll let him walk given that he'll be 28 when the 2015 season begins, hasn't produced, and is frequently nicked up.

He's a role player because they don't know how to use him.

No he's a role player because he plays behind a line with little talent that can't run block when playing against elite competition. No hole and Spiller dances rather than hitting it hard and settling for 2-3. RBs are a dime a dozen and the only true measure is whether there is speed to break it once they get to the second level. Spiller has it. So does Bryce. Let's see what happens, but unless Spiller becomes the second coming of A. Peterson, we have to let him go. Running behing a competent OL and he is AP every year. Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

No he's a role player because he plays behind a line with little talent that can't run block when playing against elite competition. No hole and Spiller dances rather than hitting it hard and settling for 2-3. RBs are a dime a dozen and the only true measure is whether there is speed to break it once they get to the second level. Spiller has it. So does Bryce. Let's see what happens, but unless Spiller becomes the second coming of A. Peterson, we have to let him go. Running behing a competent OL and he is AP every year.

He did fine, thank you, behind an even crappier line under Chan. They don't know how to use him. He's better off someplace that does.

He's a role player I'd love them to keep.... At a role player price of course. Yes he's an elite athlete, but he's a 12 touch per game player which will mean he should expect to discount his services.

By the way on rb's was anyone else impressed that Fredie and CJ helped Bryce brown off the field when his leg got hammered? Good teammates man....

Probably not the type of player they'd tag.

Yeah those guys are tight knit. I saw Rodriguez tweeted about how he'll miss it when announcing his release.

729 touches from scrimmage in 4 seasons, producing 17 TD's and 4,091 yards.

I suspect they'll let him walk given that he'll be 28 when the 2015 season begins, hasn't produced, and is frequently nicked up.

This is an odd post. What do you *want* them to do??

The Bills seem content to roll the dice and I tend to agree. Unless CJ would be willing to accept a deal worth 7 million (a 2 million bump, putting him in the Lynch/Stewart/Forte range of highest paid backs -- CJ's currently 9th) I don't see the Bills signing him to an extension. And frankly, if I were CJ, I wouldn't take that deal if offered. He's not going to get AP type numbers (14 a year) even if he puts up 2k yards this season. 10 is probably the ceiling in terms of average yearly salary for a RB in today's league, but he will command closer to 9 on the open market. Would he be willing to leave 2 million or so on the table to stay in Buffalo? Would you?

Making this a contract year should inspire CJ to a monster year statistically, which will help the Bills overall. If CJ has a so-so year or gets nicked up again, the Bills might have a better chance at getting him to stick around on the cheap. Either outcome works for me if I'm Whaley, especially with Brown and Boobie on the roster.

Edited by GreggyT

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand how they can say he is such a valuable player to keep after what I saw on Sunday. If they are going to run their RB's up the middle on that shotgun draw play 30 times a game then they have better guys that can do that (Fred, Boobie, Brown). Unless they are actually going to USE SPILLER'S TALENTS then what's the point of keeping him? Try and get a 2nd round pick or better for him. Or if they really do want to keep him then I would expect him to be a much bigger part of the offense going forward. I want a specific CJ package where they utilize his athleticism. He's not the kind of RB that is going to bust through the line straight up the gut. It's so friggin obvious, I wish they would get a clue

It really depends on how he sees his value.

If he wants top RB money, he's gotta go elsewhere. Someone might pay top tier RB money to him, and I think that's a mistake as he really is a 10-15 touch guy.

If he is realistic about his role as a contributor to a RB committee, then he just might stay.

It also may depend on if pegs wants to keep it at part of his shiny new toy

Add: CJ is already in top 10 RB salary for 2014

http://www.spotrac.com/rankings/nfl/running-back/

AP is like 12 mil

Then it drops off precipitously...

Lynch is third at 6 mil.

Also noteworthy fjax is near the top too at 2.5mil this year.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I don't understand how they can say he is such a valuable player to keep after what I saw on Sunday. If they are going to run their RB's up the middle on that shotgun draw play 30 times a game then they have better guys that can do that (Fred, Boobie, Brown). Unless they are actually going to USE SPILLER'S TALENTS then what's the point of keeping him? Try and get a 2nd round pick or better for him. Or if they really do want to keep him then I would expect him to be a much bigger part of the offense going forward. I want a specific CJ package where they utilize his athleticism. He's not the kind of RB that is going to bust through the line straight up the gut. It's so friggin obvious, I wish they would get a clue

Totally agree. Possibly the focus of the next Whaley/Marrone argument?

It's obvious the team will need to keep him. The guy has talent for days. We only just now got the RB depth in a GREAT shape. he may not like it as he isn't getting every touch, but it's why we had one of the top run games last year and are poised to do it all over again this year. And I hate to say it (because every year it makes this point irrelevent but I say it just in case) but Fred is getting up there in age. Plan B, C, and D being place is fine with me.