New sale of team thread

El Pegual needs no tiny people speaking from magic boxes to tout his majesty. Men tear their own heads off rather than face his wrath. Every baby born cries because they fear him instinctively. The lake freezes not from the winter chill but the iciness of his gaze.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

El Pegual needs no tiny people speaking from magic boxes to tout his majesty. Every baby is born fearing the mere sound of his name. The lake freezes not from the winter chill but the power of his gaze.

ominious. babies afraid, doesn't like dwafs/ves, global warming. i don't know about this, not at all.

Remember these are non binding bids, so it doesn't matter who's is highest.

You don't bid a price you can't afford. This isn't bidding on a house that you might be able to figure out the finances and make due if you win the bid.

Pegula slapped his sack on the table and told everyone else to "come at me brah!"

Do we know for certain that he is the majority owner of that group?

According to John Kryk of the Toronto Sun who has been as much on top of this as anyone, he is, yes.

Common sense also says he is. He is not going to put in virtually 80-90% of his money just to be the background owner of the Buffalo Bills and not be the face of the franchise and attend the NFL meetings and get all the perks. Furthermore, if the Canadian guys did not need his entre into the NFL as the "controlling owner" they would try to hook up with a wealthier dude and not him.

Kirby, thanks so much for everything. I hardly ever post, but I've learned a ton from you and others as I frantically keep hitting F5.

Question for you or others... my understanding is that there will be a negotiation stage before the winning bidder is chosen. Other than price, can you think of any other factors that would be negotiated? It's not like buying a house where you have a list of things to fix up before the close, is there? I can think of a close where the trust puts money into an escrow to correct certain deficiencies maybe (back taxes, outstanding debts of the franchise, outstanding lawsuits maybe, etc.) discovered during the due diligence process, but I am trying to figure out what else there would be to negotiate. Thoughts anyone?

I honestly don't think I've ever seen him post anything other than "stayin"

Exactly!

You don't bid a price you can't afford. This isn't bidding on a house that you might be able to figure out the finances and make due if you win the bid.

Pegula slapped his sack on the table and told everyone else to "come at me brah!"

Spit beer out my nose on that one!!! Lmao!

Ground up and in the freezer muthaf♡(&ah!!!

Controlling owner and majority are a little different. In order to be the controlling owner you need to own at least 30% as per league rules. JBJ is the controlling owner of his group.

So the 30% can come from JBJ and the other 70% could come from one source and JBJ could still be the controlling owner?

So the 30% can come from JBJ and the other 70% could come from one source and JBJ could still be the controlling owner?

The team's owners designate and "assign" a controlling owner to the league, he just has to be at least a 30% owner to be "the controlling owner." So, yes.

Kirby, thanks so much for everything. I hardly ever post, but I've learned a ton from you and others as I frantically keep hitting F5.

Question for you or others... my understanding is that there will be a negotiation stage before the winning bidder is chosen. Other than price, can you think of any other factors that would be negotiated? It's not like buying a house where you have a list of things to fix up before the close, is there? I can think of a close where the trust puts money into an escrow to correct certain deficiencies maybe (back taxes, outstanding debts of the franchise, outstanding lawsuits maybe, etc.) discovered during the due diligence process, but I am trying to figure out what else there would be to negotiate. Thoughts anyone?

It could be anything. I sell small businesses for a living now and we see all kinds of stuff on transactions that may only be a couple hundred grand. I can't imagine what will come into play here. Most everything will be resolved in due diligence. They will cover any contracts, concession deals, receivables, payables, liabilities, etc... Any contingencies will come from things discovered there I would imagine. As an example the buyer may exclude certain assets from their bid to try to keep the cost down. We see this from time to time but I can't imagine that at this level there will be too much nickel and diming with other interested parties. Pretty much everything will be transferred which is why the process takes so long. The due diligence on a transaction of this magnitude is insane.

The team's owners designate and "assign" a controlling owner to the league, he just has to be at least a 30% owner to be "the controlling owner." So, yes.

Good to know actually. I was under the impression that they had to provide at least the majority of the financial backing to be the controlling owner.

It keeps them in pay is Rogers gets the ok to spend more money but even at 1.5 jbj doesn't have enough to throw in 30%

T Peg if granted ownership would come in as either the 4th or 5 the wealthiest owner in the league. The NFL owners like singular owners, not groups. The only owners with a greater net worth would be the Glazers (Bucs), Ross (Fins), Kronkie (Rams), and Allen (Hawks) in that order to the top.

If his bid is solid, everything points to his ownership. He also has a significant investment in upstate NY overall so the state should be willing to pony up more dollars for a EW stadium.

I'm going to remain delusional that he will get this bid and not get caught up in all of the scares of other bids.

Not sure where we disagree. My point was that bidders do not gain anything by publicly positioning themselves as being the highest bidder. In fact the process (through the NDAs) discourages that.

I do agree with you (to a point) that if Pegula were to show up at the HoF game or training camp, it would give the fans some jollies and maybe put some type of weird pressure on the trust from a PR standpoint, however I think we can conclude from his actions to date that Pegula has NO interest in putting the trust in this position, has no interest in cheap publicity stunts and has calculated that taking the high road is the surest route to success. I happen to think his approach is the correct one. But I also don't see where JBJ would gain by publicly posturing, either.

It's my understanding that the NDA forbids disclosure of information contained in the Bills financial statements. Disclosing the bid amount wouldn't violate that agreement.

GO BILLS!!!

ominious. babies afraid, doesn't like dwafs/ves, global warming. i don't know about this, not at all.

Promo is over stimulated right now.

and rightly so.

Thank gosh for you smart and knowledgable f'rs here.

And I agree with Fixxxer on this . if our wish comes true ? homage will be paid .

you young guys gotta give up first borns.

Good to know actually. I was under the impression that they had to provide at least the majority of the financial backing to be the controlling owner.

It keeps them in pay is Rogers gets the ok to spend more money but even at 1.5 jbj doesn't have enough to throw in 30%

Right. That may very well be their downfall (not counting the fact that no way in hell the NFL allows them to win).

Stupid question here but what exactly has Pegula's ownership of the Sabre's done for them? I ask because that may give some indication of what he'd do as the Bills owner. I mean, I hope like hell the team stays in WNY but at some point the owner needs to spend the cash to help the team on the road to winning. If the team is going to continue on the current path I'm not so sure fans will continue to support them....

Spending cash hasn't been the problem, built up the arena and surrounding areas to make Buffalo a destination for players/fans. Poor management choices, especially in the personnel departments, has been his downfall.

Stupid question here but what exactly has Pegula's ownership of the Sabre's done for them? I ask because that may give some indication of what he'd do as the Bills owner. I mean, I hope like hell the team stays in WNY but at some point the owner needs to spend the cash to help the team on the road to winning. If the team is going to continue on the current path I'm not so sure fans will continue to support them....

Ohhhh my god, you're right! Dooooom!!!

He tried to throw money around to build a winner, but came to the realization they didn't have the right pieces in place to do it. Then decided the right course of action was to hire a new GM and coach and stockpile the best young talent in hockey. They are building it right, with the right coach and GM to be able to compete for the Stanley Cup for many years to come.

The Bills already have the right pieces in place other than the QB potentially...

Spending cash hasn't been the problem, built up the arena and surrounding areas to make Buffalo a destination for players/fans. Poor management choices, especially in the personnel departments, has been his downfall.

Correct.

I will say there is no downfall, he owns the team, he can run it the way he sees fit. He made a decision then altered course and set in play a strategy in a different direction in an effort to achieve his goal. That's not a downfall, that's business.

He tried to throw money around to build a winner, but came to the realization they didn't have the right pieces in place to do it. Then decided the right course of action was to hire a new GM and coach and stockpile the best young talent in hockey. They are building it right, with the right coach and GM to be able to compete for the Stanley Cup for many years to come.

The Bills already have the right pieces in place other than the QB potentially...

Correct again.

The old one is still open. Long, multiple threads slow up the server trying to load.

Ok I can understand your second point but think with high speed internet doesn't much matter but that is different than the server so I will certainly accept your point on that as fair and valid then. But your first? No it isn't still open.

I do appreciate your reply though, thanks.

Ok I can understand your second point but think with high speed internet doesn't much matter but that is different than the server so I will certainly accept your point on that as fair and valid then. But your first? No it isn't still open.

I do appreciate your reply though, thanks.

Yeah, it was open when I created this one . A Bro-mod obviously stepped in.

I'm sure many here recall the monster thread we had running on OTW for about a year. Even though most everyone only checked in the current page, the entire thread has to load in for every poster who clicks in.

Plus, with the bids now supposedly in, we're in a different (final?) mode now with the sale. Thus the Pin.

Where to start?

True he tried to buy a team through free agency and that didn't work out, but the point is he believes in spending whatever it takes to win.

He also believes in having the best facilities so he built the best locker rooms and training facilities in the NHL.

He also bought the triple-A and double-A hockey farm teams closest to Buffalo. (Elmira and Rochester) He also built Harborcenter which contains a world class hockey training facility which will likely will become the permanent home of the NHL combine.

Is that enough for you?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Is there a way to jump to the end on your phone? That's why I love new threads and hate old ones.

heres an easy way.

Immediately post a reply. Whatever. Make it a smiley face or something. It will take you to the end of the thread. Then if you really don't care to have your post, you can delete it when you get there.

;-)

That's a fair question. I think El Pegaul's philosophy is to give people a chance to do their jobs as you get a feel for who they are and how they perform. I think he gives this FO a full two seasons before making drastic changes, assuming he sees an upward trend.

GO BILLS!!!