Sammy gets double-teamed. Now, what?

Bear with me here...

Over the next few weeks I may present some negative scenarios in an attempt to find solutions for them. This is a fairly intelligent fanbase. Some of you take it a step further with an intimate understanding of X's and O's... As much as I LOVED the Sammy pick, I can't help wondering if him and EJ can make the proper connection. -Do we trust EJ to throw in double coverage? -Can he exploit the seam, and throw on time for comeback routes?

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm presenting Sammy as our #1 offensive weapon. What's the next best option in the event he's shut down???

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Williams one-on-one on the other side. Woods and Goodwin working the middle of the field. Chandler down the seam. One of the backs underneath. Lots of options, just have to make the correct read and complete the pass.

Ok... Mike Williams. Picture's getting alot clearer here.

Bear with me here...

Over the next few weeks I may present some negative scenarios in an attempt to find solutions for them. This is a fairly intelligent fanbase. Some of you take it a step further with an intimate understanding of X's and O's... As much as I LOVED the Sammy pick, I can't help wondering if him and EJ can make the proper connection. -Do we trust EJ to throw in double coverage? -Can he exploit the seam, and throw on time for comeback routes?

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm presenting Sammy as our #1 offensive weapon. What's the next best option in the event he's shut down???

Mike Williams is wide open, so is Woods, who EJ had good chemistry with last year. Also, I think Watkins is one of those receivers like Larry Fitzgerald who, even though double teamed, will come down with the ball. He had a pretty erratic QB in college.

Williams one-on-one on the other side. Woods and Goodwin working the middle of the field. Chandler down the seam. One of the backs underneath. Lots of options, just have to make the correct read and complete the pass.

exactly. This will all depend on EJ's ability to mature and go through his entire progression. There was too much of receiver stare-down and 1/2 field reading last year. I think he makes that progression this year. They just need to tell him to trust himself and read 1, decision, read 2, etc.

Bear with me here...

I didn't pay much attention to Sammy before the draft because I didn't think we would draft him. I checked out his highlights on youtube a couple of days ago. I recommend checking them out if you haven't done so. He is a very versatile player and there are several ways to get him involved. Plus we have Williams and Woods who are pretty good too.

The answer is simple: He breaks it. ;)

He was double teamed all the time in college. I posted this elsewhere but it's worth repeating. Watkins said himself that the reason he caught all those bubble screens was because teams were terrified of him his entire junior season. They always played cover 2 and 3 against him because he was so scary downfield, and his coach, Dabo Sweeney, just decided that if you guys are just going to give us free yardage at 7-10 yards a pop and not come up to stop it, we'll take it. And so they did it over and over and over again.

Watkins is doubled team then that frees up the field more so for Wr's Woods Williams, Graham and Goodwin, RB's Jackson,/Spiller/Brown and TE's Chandler/Gragg/Moaeki

its just up to EJ to survey the field and make the right toss

could dump it to CJ .. could mean Woods or Williams are wide open.

and a little bit of pee running down some flat-footed DB's leg if Goodwin happens to be in the game.

OP, I respect the scenario, but I feel like worrying about this is like worrying about the 27 Yankees having no batting depth after Mark Koenig...OK, maybe a little too much there, but I'm feeling optimistic.

:thumbsup:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Was that sarcasm? I hope, because the guy does have 23 touchdowns in his last 3 full seasons. That ain't easy to do...

Not al all. I momentarily forgot he was on the team. :lol:

I see Williams on a crossing route being stalked by the SS... Watkins is deep and gaining ground but the FS knows and is closing the gap... Woods is open in the flat momentarily, but EJ doesn't recognize it fast enough. -Ball goes to Chandler over the middle. TOO HIGH. Tipped. INT.... That's negative, I know... But I'm wondering if an RB checkdown isn't the best way to go with the weapons we've got. I can't picture a scenario where we'd have an empty backfield. I'M LOST... HELP!

Bear with me here...

C J , R. Woods , Kaufman , Moeoki , Chandler , Goodwin , F J

The biggest worry i have is not any of the talent that these guys have shown to this point especially the guys that have a proven track record .

I am all in on the EJ experiment but i think he is the factor in all of this & why i wanted the Bills to take a late round QB that has a better upside than the 2 incumbents that are on the team .

The Bills fan base has all but burned Tuel at the stake for his FIRST NFL start last year & relegated him to the trash heap which i will never get but welcome to Bills nation !!

So with that although Thad showed a lot of gun slinger like play last year & he has confidence in his play i don't see him as the guy that can get it done week in & week out if EJ is out for a long period of time .

AJ McCarron & others where still there in the 5th round & would have been a steal at that point not to mention the possibility of trade bate like what the Pats are doing with their back up out of Arkansas .

could dump it to CJ .. could mean Woods or Williams are wide open.

Something like this sounds good. An offense with such explosive players should lead to a record-breaking year for some ignored weapon. You'd think it WOULD be your RB. I certainly wouldn't mind.

exactly. This will all depend on EJ's ability to mature and go through his entire progression. There was too much of receiver stare-down and 1/2 field reading last year. I think he makes that progression this year. They just need to tell him to trust himself and read 1, decision, read 2, etc.

Can't wait to see how the new recruits on the OL effect this. And the running game for that matter.

The thing that has me most excited about Sammy is what he is going to do to take the pressure off CJ. I'm of the opinion that Spiller was the main focus of opposing defenses last year, and they dared EJ to beat them. To add another dynamic player with the RAC ability of Watkins is going to be a nightmare.

Edited by mike22nc

Its not like doubling a defensive lineman. You cant throw two corners on the guy. Doubling just means the FS will cheat to his side or another CB will slide over to defend while the FS takes over in coverage on the second receiver.. That's the hybrid zone that Pettine used a lot last year with pretty good success.

Millions of ways to beat this, pre-snap movement, bunching receivers, slot routes through traffic where it's impossible for 2 cover guys to follow.

Don't forget Hackett's not an rookie anymore. Sammy will get a dozen targets per game.

Kind of hard to double team Watkins if you have Mike Williams doing anything above pedestrian and a steady dose of Graham and Goodwin taking the top off every so often; mix in wildcard Robert Woods and you have consistency across the field with dump off options anywhere.

Of those dump off options we know Chandler will ding out 3 or 4 yards per catch, Fred Jackson will get at least 3 or 4, CJ Spiller is always a candidate to take it to the end zone, Dennis Dixon and the rest we know so little about but do not count them out.

Kind of hard to double team Watkins if you have Mike Williams doing anything above pedestrian and a steady dose of Graham and Goodwin taking the top off every so often; mix in wildcard Robert Woods and you have consistency across the field with dump off options anywhere.

Of those dump off options we know Chandler will ding out 3 or 4 yards per catch, Fred Jackson will get at least 3 or 4, CJ Spiller is always a candidate to take it to the end zone, Dennis Dixon and the rest we know so little about but do not count them out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but CJ has pretty exceptional hands for a RB, no? I remember Gailey playing him for a while as a WR. EJ's going to have a lot of options out there. We didn't just draft Watkins to be an elite WR. We also drafted him because we are "all in" on EJ. Edited by Rocky Landing

Mike Williams is wide open, so is Woods, who EJ had good chemistry with last year. Also, I think Watkins is one of those receivers like Larry Fitzgerald who, even though double teamed, will come down with the ball. He had a pretty erratic QB in college.

I'm glad you brought up the chemistry between EJ and Woods. It seems like people have forgotten that Woods was his favorite target and the 2 worked very well together. Now put him in the slot against a nickle CB or saftey he wins that 8 out of 10 times. Then on top you got Chandler going down the middle, a 1 on 1 with Mike Willams and Goodwin blazing downfield. Then add on top the pass catching abilities of our RB's especially now with Brown in the mix AND EJ's running abililty (hopefully he has learned his lesson of when and where to run) and this is shaping up as a top 10 offense

Is this for real?

I did not want to trade Stevie, but why are we undervaluing Woods? I think he is going to be an excellent player, and showed a ton last year imo. I think he will end up being a player who could be a #1 on a number of teams.

Bear with me here...

Throw to Woods or Chandler. He can also run fairly well- something that may affect the double team if the play is prolonged