Sammy gets double-teamed. Now, what?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear with me here...

Over the next few weeks I may present some negative scenarios in an attempt to find solutions for them. This is a fairly intelligent fanbase. Some of you take it a step further with an intimate understanding of X's and O's... As much as I LOVED the Sammy pick, I can't help wondering if him and EJ can make the proper connection. -Do we trust EJ to throw in double coverage? -Can he exploit the seam, and throw on time for comeback routes?

For the purposes of this discussion, I'm presenting Sammy as our #1 offensive weapon. What's the next best option in the event he's shut down???

Who's the double? FS? Run him deep and work to woody underneath, or toss to spiller. Sammy can run the whole tree..

While I tend not to pimp my own threads, this directly applies to your question.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/167718-how-do-we-use-our-wrs-this-year/

Last year, Hackett ran a lot of snag routes, which are useful for giving EJ quick progressions. The general idea is that if they roll double coverage over on Sammy, they leave the other edge receiver in single coverage, who would then run a go route (likely Goodwin or M. Williams) while providing a dump off option to CJ in the flat if the CB plays off.

I really hope that they get CJ more involved in the passing game as he was a couple of years ago. Among CJ, Sammy, and Goodwin, we have as much speed as any team in the league and present some awful problems for opposing defenses. When you add Woods and Williams to the mix, we should have a pretty good passing game -- provided we have solved our issues up front and EJ progresses as I hope he does.

I really hope that they get CJ more involved in the passing game as he was a couple of years ago. Among CJ, Sammy, and Goodwin, we have as much speed as any team in the league and present some awful problems for opposing defenses. When you add Woods and Williams to the mix, we should have a pretty good passing game -- provided we have solved our issues up front and EJ progresses as I hope he does.

The only problem is if you need the back in for blitz pick up, cj is going to whiff on the block.

didn't know Watkins was only player on offense

You learn a lot from coming to these boards. Without this place, I would never know the value of trading mario for skelton, that bills lost every season because they don't care about winning, and defense is going to fall apart because we lost byrd.

Not al all. I momentarily forgot he was on the team. :lol:

I see Williams on a crossing route being stalked by the SS... Watkins is deep and gaining ground but the FS knows and is closing the gap... Woods is open in the flat momentarily, but EJ doesn't recognize it fast enough. -Ball goes to Chandler over the middle. TOO HIGH. Tipped. INT.... That's negative, I know... But I'm wondering if an RB checkdown isn't the best way to go with the weapons we've got. I can't picture a scenario where we'd have an empty backfield. I'M LOST... HELP!

I need your help first. From your post, you are concerned that our number 1 receiver will get double coverage, and woods and williams will get single coverage? I don't see what concern you have there. From your first post, it sounds like your concern lies more into EJ, and not the receivers. Or maybe this whole thing just is nonsense.

Either way, I am not worried about the receivers unless there is an injury. That unit is fine. more than fine.

While I tend not to pimp my own threads, this directly applies to your question.

http://forums.twobil...-wrs-this-year/

Last year, Hackett ran a lot of snag routes, which are useful for giving EJ quick progressions. The general idea is that if they roll double coverage over on Sammy, they leave the other edge receiver in single coverage, who would then run a go route (likely Goodwin or M. Williams) while providing a dump off option to CJ in the flat if the CB plays off.

Saw your thread. -Liked it!

Not sure if I feel the same way about these quick progressions. In certain games, the plays seemed to take longer to unfold, and EJ was rushing. Here's an example.

Our guys seem to be running very basic routes. Easily anticipated by that defensive backfield. Then EJ was catching hell up front.... Does a faster player in that scheme really help? I'd almost like to see more intricate routes with some of our WR's called on to block. JMO. I don't have any cool diagrams or anything.

Ej sees the double team goes back into shotgun starts yelling "OHIO OHIO" lifts his leg the ball is snapped to him and he punts the ball away.Then he goes back to the bench and looks at the pictures of the first down play and drinks his grape Gatorade wondering to himself if he looks cool with his hat on backwards.

If Sammy is getting double teamed, then Woods and others will have 1 on 1 matchups. It also probably means there will be 7 guys or less in the box. With this huge offensive line, they have to be able to get 4+ yds per carry in this scenario.