Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

many of us brought it up in the discussions that it probably wasnt made up for leverage but a legitimate injury that he was worried may get worse.

additionally theres the hip(?) question mark that he came into the league with.

i still think he gets a pretty nice deal, and things are just being kept hush hush. i dont think they push as hard as they do to get to FA without an offer or two in their pockets already (though that can always fall apart)

While I don't believe it was completely made up I do think that it was exaggerated. I think if this year it were to flair up he may be willing to play at less than 100% so he didn't get labeled injury prone. This is all pure conjecture on my part but just my thoughts on this.

I think the push to FA was indeed made without a deal in hand. I think that Parker overplayed his hand here. Whether or not that bites he and Byrd in the butt remains to be seen but the lack of any news or information in the twitter age speaks very loudly. I think their thought was that someone would be willing to overpay him to the tune of 10+ million, then 9 was floated, then 8. Teams have been mentioned and then removed from contention. Most of the talking heads are saying he isn't worth what he is asking. This doesn't appear to be the dream he expected it to be. He may still get paid handsomely but I will now be surprised if it ends up being 10+ a year.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brandonomoics? And then there's the Fitz charge split between '13 and '14 which gets them to 12M in dead money.

My suspicion was that they rolled that dead money forward as a precaution against accidentally tapping into rolled over funds from 2012....which wouldn't have counted against the 2013-2016 period where each team must spend a minimum of 89% of the available cap room for that period.

We were told last week by The Buffalo News that the Bills had rolled over all of their available cap room but there has been no confirmation. Something definitely isn't right.

Perhaps the Bills will be in position to sign him for less than their offer last weekend. Testing the market goes both ways. :lol:

HA Love that! No way that happens though, 1 penny less and that loser agent of his would tell him to walk.

HA Love that! No way that happens though, 1 penny less and that loser agent of his would tell him to walk.

At that point, I dont think it would matter what his agent said. He would have just screwed Byrd out of millions, if the Bills brought the offer down!

Edited by HamSandwhich

We may just pull this off. I would LOVE to say I was wrong about tagging him. I think we could offer him 8m right now with incentives like first team all pro and playoffs as 1m incentives and we could have him, as well as happily pay the incentives if he reaches them.

Hope so. Good thing that playoff caliber teams are out of the running, because those incentives would be easier to reach with them. I'd say now it's an even bet with Wash, StL and Bills.

Byrd visiting New Orleans

Byrd visiting New Orleans

i didnt think theyd be players in the byrd deal, but i told y'all they had money to spend. having lost both harper and jenkins i figured theyd be a player for one of the cheaper safeties

Whtiner signs with Cleveland $7 million per year, Bethea signs with 46ers for $6 million per year. The Safety FA market is being set since both were considered equally to or a notch below Byrd, Eugene Parker might have over priced the market. Bills offer is starting to look really good.

Edited by Nitro

Whtiner signs with Cleveland $7 million per year, Bethea signs with 46ers for $6 million per year. The Safety FA market is being set since both were considered equally to or a notch below Byrd, Eugene Parker might have over priced the market. Bills offer is starting to look really good.

whitner is easily a step down from byrd. if hes getting 7m, byrd should get a nice bump up from that.

Can the NO visit be a PR move by both the team and Parker? NO just cut a few guys to get cap space to resign TE Graham.

they have cash to sign graham currently. they are working hard to keep it team friendly though. they are under the cap and thats WITH grahams tag number. with a good portion of his year 1 pay being signing bonus it shouldnt shoot up to ridiculously even if they extend him.

Saints are 2 Million under cap right now according to Sirius, they'd have to do some more deep cuts to be serious.

that number is a bit of a low ball as sproles release hasnt occured (id imagine it would happen with the signing and clear another 3.5m) and then probably pierre thomas (another close to 3m). that would put them at 8.5m in free space, and when you multiply that out with the signing bonus amortizations and a possible restructure with lewis, bunkley maybe becoming a june 1 cut.... they arent near as hamstrung as some of you guys think. not going to be CRAZY spenders but they can be comfortably active.

I am curious to hear your thoughts on Byrd and the Saints? I think that they are just trying to leverage someone like St. Louis or someone to jump in.

i dont think theyd be visiting unless they were in the ball park on dollars. obviously, if someone else was motivated by it they wouldnt mind but i think its possible.

i would still be surprised if they signed him, but i dont think its near as unreasonable as most posters here would portray.

also - recall byrd said in an interview last week that the super dome was his favorite place to have played (or something along those lines)

that number is a bit of a low ball as sproles release hasnt occured (id imagine it would happen with the signing and clear another 3.5m) and then probably pierre thomas (another close to 3m). that would put them at 8.5m in free space, and when you multiply that out with the signing bonus amortizations and a possible restructure with lewis, bunkley maybe becoming a june 1 cut.... they arent near as hamstrung as some of you guys think. not going to be CRAZY spenders but they can be comfortably active.

Well played NoSaint. The Brees bump in cap number next year is trickier IMO. He is going to have to restructure at some point -right? My guess is that the Saints are trying to get Byrd in the Whitner range and I am not sure that will get it done. I think that they would be better off with Clemons.

Well played NoSaint. The Brees bump in cap number next year is trickier IMO. He is going to have to restructure at some point -right? My guess is that the Saints are trying to get Byrd in the Whitner range and I am not sure that will get it done. I think that they would be better off with Clemons.

i think brees plays with his deal next year. thats the time that ive been pointing at for starting those discussions.

i also think colston is gone next year, plus you have that monster cap hit from will smith disappearing. yea, graham and cam jordan will be getting paid, but they have some wiggle room potentially.

Brees restructure? That sounds out of character for him.

Brees restructure? That sounds out of character for him.

by restructure no one means pay cut, they mean shifting dollars. often taking your salary upfront in order to make it a signing bonus you can amortize. it would benefit him financially.

id guess they tag a year on the end potentially which would mean when he retires theyd take a bigger hit but at that point, so be it....

i dont think theyd be visiting unless they were in the ball park on dollars. obviously, if someone else was motivated by it they wouldnt mind but i think its possible.

i would still be surprised if they signed him, but i dont think its near as unreasonable as most posters here would portray.

also - recall byrd said in an interview last week that the super dome was his favorite place to have played (or something along those lines)

When he said that I thought to myself...Well...He did not say "The Ralph..." That's not a good sign... :(

I'm certain you're right about the cap situation...I'm super-skeptical that Saints will want to spend the majority of that cap savings on Byrd...He's only one player and they are creating holes...And if they do sign Byrd I'll be very interested in the structure of the deal and the guaranteed cash...It seems to me to be a real bad fit (not on the field of course) on the surface...But we'll see... B-)

Does that take into account the roughly $5 million they'll need to sign rookies?

When he said that I thought to myself...Well...He did not say "The Ralph..." That's not a good sign... :(

I'm certain you're right about the cap situation...I'm super-skeptical that Saints will want to spend the majority of that cap savings on Byrd...He's only one player and they are creating holes...And if they do sign Byrd I'll be very interested in the structure of the deal and the guaranteed cash...It seems to me to be a real bad fit (not on the field of course) on the surface...But we'll see... B-)

It would be a stupid signing for the saints. They need to spend money around Bree's while they have him