Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

Wouldn't they be tying up all that cap money if they tagged him? The best FA's are often gone at the very start of the free agent signing period.

A desperate futile gesture doesn't demonstrate that you are running the show, quite the opposite.

So what its just 8 million. We have 25 mill and can free up over 5 more by cutting Peers and our Concussed QB Kolb. Tag his ass and be done with it

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Who cares? I care about the BILLS as a whole, not one player. The Franchise tag is a tool to assist the franchise I say tag his ass and tell him tough ****. If he wants out that bad his agent better get on the horn to Cleveland and tell them pony up a pick or two

You see, that is the point. The tag isn't a bad option for Byrd this time around, you are not sticking it to him by tagging "his ass". Tagging him is good for Byrd and bad for the Bills. That is why the Bills are, at last report, leaning on not tagging him.

Byrd might be the most sought after free agent. GMs knew the Bills were in a bind. Byrd wants top dollar, Bills were not going to pay it and the other GMs knew this. Why would the other teams want to trade for him when they can wait for his release. If Byrd has an excellent season, the Bills will be compensated with a decent draft pick. It sucks that another good player walks but he plays at a position that is not sexy. If he was a QB, RB, WR, LT. Pass rushing DE or LB but he is not. Trade should have been done last year. Bills are bad at player management poker.

Edited by Nitro

So what its just 8 million. We have 25 mill and can free up over 5 more by cutting Peers and our Concussed QB Kolb. Tag his ass and be done with it

"Tag his ass" isn't the stick it to Byrd move you think it is. It is a bad move for Buffalo and not at all a terrible thing for Byrd which is precisely why Byrd would rather risk the tag then sign the contract being offered. The idea that "tagging his ass" is somehow making a point and really playing hardball with Byrd is a fantasy. If it was really hardball, Byrd would be signing a contract rather than risk it, wouldn't he?

An 8.4 million dollar message? What is the message? "We are stupid and we are really mad, so here is $8.4 million dollars for one more lousy year on our roster, bwahahahah."

8.4mil is less than 30 mil guaranteed and less than the signing bonus of the long term contract that is rumored to give Byrd 30 mil in the first 3 years.

The franchise tag is actually a discount.

Get over the money. It's not about the money. Byrd wants to choose his own adventure at Buffalo's loss. You can't let that happen.

Byrd might be the most sought after free agent. GMs knew the Bills were in a bind. Byrd wants top dollar, Bills were not going to pay it and the other GMs knew this. Why would the other teams want to trade for him when they can wait for his release. If Byrd has an excellent season, the Bills will be compensated with a decent draft pick. It sucks that another good player walks but he plays at a position that is not sexy. If he was a QB, RB, WR, LT. Pass rushing DE or LB but he is not. Trade should have been done last year. Bills are bad at player management poker.

The Bills aren't in a bind. They have plenty of cap room and can tag him and still sign players without any problem. I say do it and then see whether GMs will line up to trade for him.

8.4mil is less than 30 mil guaranteed and less than the signing bonus of the long term contract that is rumored to give Byrd 30 mil in the first 3 years.

The franchise tag is actually a discount.

Get over the money. It's not about the money. Byrd wants to choose his own adventure at Buffalo's loss. You can't let that happen.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President. Edited by Mickey

The Bills aren't in a bind. They have plenty of cap room and can tag him and still sign players without any problem. I say do it and then see whether GMs will line up to trade for him.

My guess is that they already shopped him around and it turns out that there wasn't a line for him, hence the report that the Bills "gauged the interest" in trading Byrd.

My guess is that they already shopped him around and it turns out that there wasn't a line for him, hence the report that the Bills "gauged the interest" in trading Byrd.

If I were a GM, I wouldn't admit to interest either, hoping the Bills release him or for fear of tampering allegations. Tag him and then let Parker go find a team to deal with.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President.

This is the first time I've ever heard this. Players hate the franchise tag. If they get seriously injured them all that guaranteed money goes to waste. The players like the security of a long term deal.

Maybe we are both right, its the money and he doesn't want to be here. That 30 mill is part of a long term contract, this is a one and done contract. That is the value for Byrd. He got 6+ last year and would get 8.4 this year and still gets the 30 mil next year. On top of that, he may be nursing a grudge over being tagged last year and further, he might not be interested in playing for a team that hasn't made the playoffs since Bill Clinton was President.

this . It is the biggest problem and doesn't work in the Bills favor. There are teams willing to give him that 30M guaranteed contract. Does he want to play with a team that goes to the playoffs and gives his 30M or for a team that has not been in the playoffs for 14 seasons.

I'm certain this is the case...And good for the Bills that they looked to get this done quickly...

But the reality is most teams are not going to to offer squat, especially if they really want Byrd, unless the tag is a reality...The only thing a team receives in return for promising a decent Draft pick right now is the ability to negotiate with Byrd exclusively when Free Agency opens...Nothing more...They don't get him automatically, and he can always say no...The tag pushes this thing forward...If there is real interest in Byrd the tag will leave no doubt...If there truly is no trade to be made the Bills can remove the tag in a month or so...

It really does make sense to play this out with the tag...It does not hurt the Bills at all, and could result in decent compensation for Byrd...if not, they remove the tag and they're no worse-off for it... B-)

Which is apparently as much or more than we could get in a trade:

"The Bills initially believed there would be a trade market if they tagged Byrd and shopped his services, but the team has changed its stance in the past week. It's now believed to be unlikely a team would be willing to trade for Byrd, then sign him to a substantial long-term deal.

Byrd, 27, becomes one of the hottest names on the free-agent market if he's not under contract by March 11. The three-time Pro Bowl pick ranked No. 3 on ATL's list of the top 101 free agents.

The Bills would be pained to lose one of their best players for a compensation pick, but it might end up being their most sensible option." NFL.com

This is kind of silly. The trade market is going to only develop once they tag him.

The compensatory pick talk is nonsense unless it means they are not going to sign anyone in FA. Last year they didnt get one when Levitre signed for his big contract because we signed Lawson, Branch, etc. I expect we will sign a few more of those caliber guys, and won't get anything more than a 6th or 7th for losing Byrd.

Byrd is significantly better than Levitre in the eyes of those judging, who measure by pro bowl and all pro status. Ther's no comparison.

True but no one knows the real criterion, money has to be the biggest factor.

I'm predicting right now that he lands a HUGE contract. He's an elite player at an increasingly important position, and there are apparently a ton of teams that covet him.

Edited by dave mcbride

I'm predicting right now that he lands a HUGE contract. He's an elite player at an increasingly important position, and there are apparently a ton of teams that covet him.

I totally agree. He's going to get 10m a year, IMO. But I think there won't be much want for any of the other Bills FA, we will likely re-sign Chandler, and then sign about three guys like Lawson, Branch, and Legursky, and we won't end up with anything more than a 6th rounder that is really a 7th rounder as a compensory.

I say tag him and try to trade him for value. However if we are not able to trade him we will still have his services for another year. He is one of the best safeties in the league and and his play may help us to reach the playoffs this year. It will also give us another year to look for his replacement.