Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

I am not worried if Byrd leaves. The money he wants, just like Levitre, is over the top. Parker wants him guy to get a huge contract. He wants CB money and I don't blame him but the Bills will take a pass on it. They will take a PR beating but they have to do what is best for the team. I wish Mr. Byrd good luck.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24464215/bills-byrd-redskins-orakpo-likely-to-go-untagged-hit-nfls-fa-market

La Canfora is reporting no tag for Byrd or Orakpo. A. Williams better be Pro Bowl material. And Whaley had better spend every god dam cent of RW's money in FA fixing the line.

This team...

I am not worried if Byrd leaves. The money he wants, just like Levitre, is over the top. Parker wants him guy to get a huge contract. He wants CB money and I don't blame him but the Bills will take a pass on it. They will take a PR beating but they have to do what is best for the team. I wish Mr. Byrd good luck.

What and where has all that extra cap space gotten us exactly??

What will happen if EJ becomes an elite quarterback and he wants to leave? If we can't/won't re-sign our own then what is the point of following this team?

Buddy Nix told us a while back that we're going to build this team through the draft and re-sign our own. I'm not buying that bologna anymore. TPTB are only in this for the money. I see that now.

Edited by NoJustice

I am with you. I don't really care if he leaves.

I just want the Bills to be smart about it, and maximize what they can get from his departure.

I am with you. I don't really care if he leaves.

I just want the Bills to be smart about it, and maximize what they can get from his departure.

Do you call letting Levitre walk and replacing him with Doug freaking Legursky "being smart about it and maximizing what they can get from his departure"?

Edited by NoJustice

nojustice, I want them to resign their own but you can not make them the highest paid at their position. You sign Byrd to that contract, 3 or 4 valuable vets get cut to balance the salary structure. If the was in a more valuable position like CB, I can see him getting that pay increase.

I just don't get this FO. They offered to pay him $10 million per the first three years but won't use to tag to pay him $8.4 million next year or possibly get something in trade. Like a second rounder in the deepest draft in years? What gives?

So offering Byrd $10m a year for 3 years is "letting him leave". Got it.

The Bills have options. If they do not tag him then they did not use all that was available to them and yes, they let him leave. There's no other way to look at this.

I guess that I am trying to look at this objectively. Byrd is a great player, no doubt but you win with a great roster not a great player (outside of QB). If that $10M that was going to be used on Byrd is used to plug other holes I think that I am okay with it. I expect Duke or Searcy to play next to AW and be fine.

I still believe that the tag should be used. I think that Parker is trying to scare teams off the Byrd won't sign there long term. If they dealt him to Philly or somewhere like that I bet that he would sign. Denver makes a lot of sense to me still (even as a rental). How long will their window be open for? I really do not believe that team would not part with a late 2nd or 3rd for him (which would be better than the comp pick).

I'm saying that neither of them said he is a Hall of Famer, as you implied about we're not talking about a Hall of Famer here. They were saying, if I can speak for them about being "on track," and about the future, and that if the Bills sign him, and keep him for 5-6 more years, AND he continues with this pace and improvement, after his 10 year career his numbers will match Hall of Famers and will likely get in.

So are they, what?

No one on this board said that if Byrd retired today, he would go into the HOF. All I said was that if he continues at his current level of production through the remainder of his career, he likely will be (or should be) elected to the Hall of Fame. Do you disagree with that statement?

Y'all take this to PM if you must continue the conversation.

+1

Bills brass blow it again. Another top tier player leaves, another draft pick wasted to replace a quality player that walked away. What a putrid team.

I have been on Byrd's side during the contract impasse last year. But if they are walking away from $30 million guaranteed over three years, when last year's top safety received $22 million guaranteed for 3 years, plus Byrd received $6.8 million for 11 games last year, then this is not on OBD. I honestly doubt he'll get much more than that in free agency.

It appears that the Bills will not franchise him (see the link to the LaCanfora piece above). Maybe they think that they can't do better than a 4th round pick for him because of the tag complication, and they stand to get a compensatory 3rd rounder if they let him go.

What compensatory pick are the Bills getting for Levitre?

Paying Levitre $8M per year would have been beyone stupid, it would have been borderline criminal.

I agree, but don't replace him by shopping at the Salvation Army.

No reason to doubt those figures. From the USA Today article:

Eric Berry - 6yrs/$50m (2010)

Polamalu - 3yrs/$29.6m (2011)

Weddle - 5yr/$40m (2011)

We already know he wants to be paid as the top safety, so the $30 m / 3 years is the range they'd need to be in. Looking at recent Fitz, Stevie, Mario contract numbers - it's not like that's a number the Bills wouldn't be willing to offer.

So let's assume it is the case. Byrd may know that very well could be the best offer he'll receive. Even if he doesn't get that elsewhere, we know he'll get pretty close to it. Maybe the guy just wants to be on a team with a higher chance of winning for the next few years and is willing to risk getting say $27m guaranteed instead of $30. Who knows? Again, assuming this is an accurate offer, I think that's probably as high as the Bills can go.

What if Byrd wants to be able to weigh that offer against others on the open market? To my chagrin, the Bills look to give him that chance rather than protecting an asset -- as is their right via the tag.

If they are offering that kind of money, I get the sense that we're looking at one of three scenarios:

1) the guaranteed money is not enough

2) he doesn't want to play for the Bills, or

3)he simply wants to test the market before making any decision, which may yet include the Bills.

If I am Buffalo, I don't leave that offer on the table long and wait for him.

The comp pick would be what, a 3rd?

It's called a sign and trade, people.

Need a partner to trade people, you can't just force another team to give us something for a guy they might get outright.

If you don't think Parker was working the rooms at the combine you're delusional. He's got a damn good idea what he can get outside of Buffalo, hell he might even already have a couple of offers on the table.