Jairus Byrd [was Jarius Byrd]

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If the Bills were willing to pay Byrd $10 million a year for the next 3 years, why wouldn't they be willing to pay him 8.6 million this year under the franchise tag. It seems like that would save them 1.4 million dollars in real cash.

Because he won't be as good under a franchise tag. He'll hold out of all preseason activity, and he will possibly sit multiple weeks during the season.

If they sign him, he plays in preseason, participates in practice and presumedly plays during the season (and likely more productive than last season).

He cares, and that's pretty much all that matters. Can't force him to sign a contract with us. Jim Kelly didn't play for us his first 2 years of pro ball, only played when he had no other options.

I find it a little hard to believe that he won't sign the franchise tag contract. I think that 8.5 million dollars matters more than his feelings. So he really would be forced unless you find it plausible that he'd really would turn down that kind of money.

Because he won't be as good under a franchise tag. He'll hold out of all preseason activity, and he will possibly sit multiple weeks during the season.

If they sign him, he plays in preseason, participates in practice and presumedly plays during the season (and likely more productive than last season).

It's somewhat hard to imagine that he gets injured right after he signs again, and then doesn't play. Parker and Byrd can threaten all they want, but they know the rules, and they also know if the Bills tag him, the best thing he can do is come in and be a star.

Maybe last year they were making a statement to the team that don't do this to us again. But, to me at least, they cannot do that again or teams will really look down on that, and if Byrd did play the first five games, he would be in an even better bargaining position with the Bills and other teams than he is now.

No problem, you are.

Actually he's not. Bottom line Byrd doesn't want to play in Buffalo...Tough ****! Tag his ass already then trade. Don't let him walk for nothing

No problem, you are.

Actually he's not. Bottom line Byrd doesn't want to play in Buffalo...Tough ****! Tag his ass already then trade. Don't let him walk for nothing

Why do you say that?

When the Bills finally won the East back in '88 the Bills' fans tore down the goal posts and partied like no other. Countless Bills players called us the best fans in the early '90s and not even during interviews--they did it during the game! After losing for 14 straight years, we're still here and we're still hardcore fans.

"GREAT PLAYER??" Tell me what team was afraid to play the Bills because of Byrd.

If that's the case why not let everyone leave then? They may not have been afraid to face us, but I'm sure teams schemed to stay away from Byrd.

So offering Byrd $10m a year for 3 years is "letting him leave". Got it.

How do we even know this is fact? And even if it is, we can franchise him. We have the power, not Byrd. So yeah, that's "letting him leave". How you can see it any other way is beyond me.

Looks like you may be right, according to Jeremy White. The Bills are idiots if they don't franchise Byrd and at the bare minimum get a third round pick in return.

I doubt they'd get anything more than a 7th. Doubt there would be many teams competing to get him, and why give up more than that?

I just don't see a huge trade value for him on a franchise deal.

How do we even know this is fact? And even if it is, we can franchise him. We have the power, not Byrd. So yeah, that's "letting him leave". How you can see it any other way is beyond me.

It appears that the Bills will not franchise him (see the link to the LaCanfora piece above). Maybe they think that they can't do better than a 4th round pick for him because of the tag complication, and they stand to get a compensatory 3rd rounder if they let him go.

It appears that the Bills will not franchise him (see the link to the LaCanfora piece above). Maybe they think that they can't do better than a 4th round pick for him because of the tag complication, and they stand to get a compensatory 3rd rounder if they let him go.

Good point, but if true, then why not find that out and drop the tag the night before FA starts.

my nightmare is CJ Spiller hiring Parker as his agent..... :wallbash:

Actually this would be a good scenario. It would be great if the Bills didn't pay Spiller the big bucks. A case could be made that he isn't going to win us any football games. Has he ever? Good running backs can be drafted in the late rounds, let alone situational players.

"With the ninth pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Buffalo Bills select, Ha-Ha Clinton Dix, safety, Alabama".......... This is my nightmare!

Mine too, especially since we already used picks on Searcy, D. Williams and Meeks. Good grief this team is frustrating. :wallbash: We still have to replace Levitre. Let's CREATE holes, instead of filling them. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: